Start by marking “The Tears Of Sheba: Tales Of Survival And Intrigue In Arabia” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Tears Of Sheba: Ta...

Khadija Al-Salami

The Tears Of Sheba: Tales Of Survival And Intrigue In Arabia

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Loyalty, honour, murder, Bedouin, family feuds and survival in a setting reminiscent of the Arabian Nights Yemen in the 1960s was a society where loyalty, blood ties and honour meant everything, yet murder, forced marriages, family feuds and public beheadings were common.
Published November 1st 2005 by Wiley,

To ask other readers questions about The Tears Of Sheba, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tears Of Sheba

Mary Coons
I found The Tears of Sheba to be very disjointed and confusing. I was under the impression the book was about the author's life, which it was, but more so about so many other people. It could have been edited down to a much smaller volume without losing anything. There were many instances, I felt, when she wrote/included stories that had nothing to do whatsoever with the storyline.

I did however enjoy the epilogue. I felt that was very well done and a very good testimony to the barriers she faced...more
LDB
This was an intersting book that was part memoir/part history of Yemen. Readers can see Yemen's history and culture through the eyes of the author and those the author knows. It was an interesting read but was but a taste of Yemen's history and culture. I will have to read more to learn about this interesting country!
Anna
Insight to widely unknown culture and memoirs of a women, who survived civil war. There are public beheadings and forced marriages in country where blood ties and family loyalty is very important. A clash of this culture with American style.
Dwight Lorel
Dwight Lorel marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Arabicstudent
Arabicstudent marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2011
Kathleen McRae
Kathleen McRae marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2011
Hayati
Hayati added it
Jun 27, 2010
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2008