Start by marking “Science at the Edge: Conversations with the Leading Scientific Thinkers of Today” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  10 reviews
As founder, editor, and publisher of the intellectual forum www.edge.org, John Brockman is well-positioned to initiate and cultivate an ongoing dialogue with today’s leading cutting-edge thinkers. The website is a virtual salon for every type of intellectual and scientific pursuit, from evolutionary biology and quantum physics, to crowd psychology and miniaturized computin ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Union Square Press

To ask other readers questions about Science at the Edge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Science at the Edge

David Schwinghammer
SCIENCE AT THE EDGE is a compilation of summarized interviews edited by John Brockman, author of THE NEXT FIFTY YEARS: SCIENCE IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY. His emphasis is on cooperation between traditional scientist such as physicists and cosmologists with more humanistic scientists such as psychologists and philosophers.

The above may have been his intent, but the various essays tend to address artificial intelligence and possible theories unifying relativity and quantum mecha
Billy Maise
Usually I really like science books, but this one was a solid 'Mehh'. Too much of the information was stuff I already knew, and some of the essays were repeated in slightly different form later in the book.
Mark Fallon
What an amazing book!

A compilation of "conversations" (interviews, speeches, articles) with people working on the cutting edge of new idea in biology, computers, physics and cosmology. Instead of supporting a single point of view, the book includes competing viewpoints on multiple subjects.

I learned that there's even more I don't know than I realized before. And, that there's some brilliant women and men working on problems I didn't know existed.

For more info, check out http://www.edge.org.

Wow
Chris
Fascinating.

I had read The Next Fifty Years some time ago, and enjoyed the essay-structure and theme. This is just the next iteration, but very well done, there are some thought-provoking and insightful essays here. The first section seemed to lean towards a Darwin Love-Fest, which started to get on my nerves, but the second and third sections had very interesting, and often contradicting, positions on where things are and where they are going. Very well edited.
Sammy Sutton
There are some interesting studies and commentary. The author certainly does not believe there is a place for a divine order.
Chraeloos
For a broad mix of papers, this is a good place to start. Compelling arguments and definitive answers. Makes you think!
Ben
Not bad, but I didn't care for the author's tone. And there was way too much on high energy physics.
Johann Fourie
Interesting - a sort of glimps into the world of theoretical scientists
Matt
Some really interesting chapters others less so. I would pick and choose.
John
nonfiction,science,transhumanism
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Steve & Liz
Steve & Liz marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
V
V marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ryan Carmody
Ryan Carmody marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Barbulescu Bogdan
Barbulescu Bogdan marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Jennifer Howenstine
Jennifer Howenstine marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Jordan Shweky
Jordan Shweky marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Rami AK
Rami AK marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Quinn
Quinn marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Jason Cooperrider
Jason Cooperrider marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Bhd147
Bhd147 marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Koen
Koen marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Kels
Kels marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
With a broad career spanning the fields of art, science, books, software and the Internet. In 1960 he established the bases for "intermedia kinetic environments" in art, theatre and commerce, while consulting for clients such as General Electric, Columbia Pictures, The Pentagon, The White House... In 1973 he formed his own literary and software agency. He is founder of the Edge Foundation and edit ...more
More about John Brockman...
This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking This Explains Everything: Deep, Beautiful, and Elegant Theories of How the World Works What We Believe But Cannot Prove: Today's Leading Thinkers on Science in the Age of Certainty What Is Your Dangerous Idea?: Today's Leading Thinkers on the Unthinkable What Should We Be Worried About?: The Hidden Threats Nobody Is Talking about (and False Fears Everyone Is Distracted By)