Start by marking “Casting the First Stone (Reverend Curtis Black, #1)” as Want to Read:
Casting the First Stone (Reverend Curtis Black, #1)

Casting the First Stone (Reverend Curtis Black #1)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  3,281 ratings  ·  137 reviews
Tanya Black has everything a woman could want: a fulfilling career, a beautiful daughter, an elegant home, and a handsome, charismatic husband who is pastor at a prominent Baptist church. And yet, none of it can hide the growing turbulence in her marriage, which suddenly has Tanya doubting what she once cherished.

Then Curtis goes too far, and Tanya's confronted with the wo...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Casting the First Stone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Casting the First Stone

Love & Lies by Kimberla Lawson RobyThe Best of Everything by Kimberla Lawson RobyCasting the First Stone by Kimberla Lawson RobyToo Much of a Good Thing by Kimberla Lawson RobySin No More by Kimberla Lawson Roby
BEST CHURCH SERIES EVER
3rd out of 19 books — 21 voters
Love, Honor, and Betray by Kimberla Lawson RobyTemptation by Victoria Christopher MurrayLet the Church Say Amen by ReShonda Tate BillingsleyA Sin and a Shame by Victoria Christopher MurrayHoly Rollers by ReShonda Tate Billingsley
Aifrian American Christian Fiction
6th out of 47 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

kisha
I read this book years ago. But I remember that I really liked it. I read it quickly because indeed it was a page turner. I liked it because it is the reality of many reverends and 1st lady's of the church. I was really young when I read it and it was my first time reading Christian fiction. But although I really liked it then, I imagine my rating may have been a bit lower if I would read it now.
Not because it wasnt an interestingly well-written novel, but because it was stereotypical and cliche...more
Shenae
wow, what can I say about this book apart from it being awesome...but seriously though, I was captivated from beginning to end. As the pages I read increased, the more I did not want this book to end but on the other hand I wanted desperately to find out a lot of things. I loved the suspense she brought into this book as well as that sense of realness that was added.
I learned such things as no man has the right to judge another human being, everybody sins and fall short of the glory of God, God...more
Wanda
The first of Pastor Black series! This book was something else. When I read it I had to ask is this
based on the truth? Truely I believe so because I am commenting on this books years after I read the book.
This book got me hooked on this author and I can't wait for the next book each year.
Tamara Evans
Not very often do I find myself so drawn to a book that I can't put it down.However in the case of "Casting the First Stone," I was definitely drawn. Never before has a book written about the happenings behind closed doors in churches been discussed before. Not only that, but this is the first book which does not make the preacher totally innocent but rather,it shows that although he is a man of God, he is still a man.

Also, in this book, I found that a lot of what was happening in the book I se...more
Sarah Weathersby
After my book club read Love, Honor, and Betrayby Kimberla Lawson Roby, several members loved it so much they wanted us to go back to this book, the first in the Rev. Curtis Black series.

I liked that one; this one was OK; I hope we don't have to read another. I'm a good book club member. I don't mind reading things outside of my usual comfort zone. They have read several that I selected, even one that I wrote. I won't complain.
June
This is the first book in the series of 10 on Reverend Curtis Black. A good read and a page-turner. Like Curtis Black said,"there is no reward in gaining the whole world just to lose your own soul". He learned this himself. I'm looking foward to reading the 2nd book in the series,"Too Much of a Good Thing and the 3rd book, "The Best-Kept Secret.(I already read series 4 through 10).
Tiffany Pitts
Tanya Black has a perfect life. She has a fulfilling career, a nice home, and an ideal family. All this seems to come crashing down when she finds out her husband is not as "ideal" as she thought. Tanya find out secrets about her husband that alters her life in every way imaginable. Through struggles and problems, she learns a great deal about love, life, and pain.

The author uses the following craft in her writing: Creating characters, voice and tension. The author does an exceptional job at cr...more
Denise Gilliam
I really liked this book. The Pastor Curtis Black was a good man in the beginning. He was so money hungry just like a lot of pastors in today's churches. That's why I choose to leave my very first church. The pastor and his family was living better then his church family. I like Tonya she was nothing like that all she wanted was a loving husband and a father for her daughter. I will read part 2 to see what else Pastor Curtis Black is up to. This is a good series so far.
Dr Author Wright, AA, AS, BS, MinB, MS, MinM, PhD, MinD, ThD
“Casting the First Stone” by Kimberla Lawson Roby is a masterful presentation of creative writing. Ms. Roby is very inventive and uses great imagination in portraying the characters and situations of her story. In this novel, she vividly described the fraught lives of a married couple who struggles to remain faithful to each other in their Christian walk. Tanya, who is presupposed to have achieved a degree of life success, is married to Curtis, a charismatic pastoral husband who is laden with so...more
Shannon
Nov 27, 2007 Shannon rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Maybe
If you like drama and I mean drama this is a perfect book to read. Tanya is married to Curtis Black a "wanna-be" all that preacher of an african-american baptist church. Girlfriend should have got a dog instead, at least they are loyal. She is in a bad marriage trying to work thru things and live a christian life. But sometimes you just can not turn the other cheek. I think the message had good intent but I just could not relate to the characters. Yes, women be strong, be true to yourself above...more
Valerie Williams
What happens when the pastor of a prominent Baptist church becomes corrupt through money, power, and women? And how does his wife maintain her sanity during the process? Tanya Black has everything a woman could want: a fulfilling career, a beautiful daughter, an elegant home and a handsome, charismatic husband who is pastor at a prominent Baptist church. And yet, Tanya can no longer deny that the calm surface of her life hides a growing turbulence. Her husband Curtis, once a supportive partner a...more
Genevieve Woods
GOOD BOOK BUT I DO NOT NEED TO READ ABOUT HYPROCRITS. WELL WRITTEN RECOMMEND FOR THOSE WHO LIKE CHURCH DRAMA.
LaChelle
This book is awesome. It showed me that I shouldn't be so naive when it comes the the Church because EVERYONE is human, and will always fall short of God. Just keep the faith, be true to yourself, and pray for yourself and those around you because we all need it. Thank you Mrs. Roby for sharing that with me.
Saresa
Too much drama for one Christian fiction book..I read this over 10 years ago and again this week just as quickly as I did the first time. Back then, I was shocked and sadden that this type of behavior could go on in the church..But, today I'm not surprised.
Londa
Sep 26, 2009 Londa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
OMG! my husband bought me this book, cause I love to read novels and oh my goodness it was soooo good. If you have only read this book you need to follow upon it with the rest of the curtis black stories, b/c best believe it doesn't stop here.
Nardsbaby Reader
Growing Process

This book was so good. I was truly captivated from the very first page to the very last page. This book was well written, with great characters. Highly recommend this book.
Briana Myricks
CHILE. Whew. Great read. Came recommended to me by an Audible concierge (thanks Summer!) and it was really good. The narration was good too, although some of the pauses had me pretty anxious. I know people are iffy on the fact that it's drama in the church, but, well, there's drama in the church. Period point blank. We're still flesh, and there are pastors out there who don't practice what they preach. Curtis infuriated me and made me shake my head A LOT. Tanya seemed very relatable and I unders...more
Erika Lundy
Jul 10, 2007 Erika Lundy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Whew. This book is mind blowing and has a main character that you can really cheer for. I love it.
MZURAQT
First lady Tonya Black believed in her husband calling to become a preacher she Packs up her life from Atlanta to come to Chicago So Curtis Black can pastor at Faith Missionary Church. Being the first lady comes with its perks nice house car and a beautiful daughter but it doesn't bring happiness.With rumors going around about her husband committing adultery and secrets being hidden. Tanya finally gets fed up but is she ready for what she finds?

This was my first read by Mrs.Roby and I must say I...more
Candice Smith walker
Lawson is a talented writer but this book was drama, drama, drama. I usually don't read Christian fiction however I've read this genre on several occasions. This book came highly recommended but I was tired of Curtis by page 50. I give the book 3 stars because of the flawless writing but it was not for me.
Sonya
Good read, couldn't put it down. This book also has valuable lessons in relationships from which we can all learn. Reverend Curtis Black is off the chain! Bonus: KLR's website has synopsis', sample readings and discussion questions for each book. Great series for book clubs! We are on to the next one!
Angela
It's been a long time since I started this series, so I'm not going to review or rate it.
I just wanted to add this one & the other books since I have recently started getting caught up on the series.
LaTonya
This was the first Christian fiction book I've read and I must say that it was full of drama and scandal that I really wasn't expecting. This was the second book that I've read by this author and this book compared to Behind Closed Doors was just okay; I thought that book was amazing. I just felt like Tanya took too much from Curtis. While I understand that she wanted to do everything to make her marriage work, there comes a point that you just have to let it go when you clearly see that the oth...more
Keshia Middleton
I read this book in the 1999. I remember being so excited to learn what was going to happen next! This book is a must read.
Kathy
Loved it! It reminded me of how Christians often fail in their living, but they eventually learn from their mistakes.
Connii Greer
read this book in two days. it had gotten my attention from beginning to end. this is definitely a page turner
Yaya Yaya
Great book couldn't wait to read the 2nd book
Nicola Terry
Already I don't like Curtis... But it's the entire book is going to be her complaining about him then good riddens I want to see how you're doing something about it not just complaining about it...ok... 2 weeks later and I finished it... 2 weeks is a LONG time for me for such a short book but it was engaging... Ready for #2....
Ava
eehhh not bad, i guess. I didnt like any of the characters in the story, even Tanya. I did like that she put her daughter first b4 any decision that she made; but i found her storyline with James unrealistic -ish, but whatever it get the story moving. Rev. Black got his comeuppance for his shadiness at the pastor appreciation celebration. And I must say I saw that coming a mile away. Can u call it a twist when you expect it, naawwww. well curiosity will cause me to read the next one.
  • A Sin and a Shame
  • Married Men
  • Sisters & Lovers
  • Everybody Say Amen
  • Soulmates Dissipate
  • Any Way the Wind Blows
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
  • The Maintenance Man
New York Times Bestselling Author, Kimberla Lawson Roby, has published thirteen novels which include, THE PRODIGAL SON, A HOUSE DIVIDED, THE PERFECT MARRIAGE, THE REVEREND'S WIFE, SECRET OBSESSION, LOVE, HONOR, and BETRAY, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR, A DEEP DARK SECRET, THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, ONE IN A MILLION, SIN NO MORE, LOVE & LIES, CHANGING FACES , THE BEST-KEPT SECRET , TOO MUCH OF A G...more
More about Kimberla Lawson Roby...
The Best-Kept Secret (Reverend Curtis Black, #3) Too Much of a Good Thing (Reverend Curtis Black, #2) Love & Lies (Reverend Curtis Black, #4) Changing Faces Be Careful What You Pray For (Reverend Curtis Black, #7)