Start by marking “Casting the First Stone (Reverend Curtis Black, #1)” as Want to Read:
Casting the First Stone (Reverend Curtis Black, #1)

Casting the First Stone (Reverend Curtis Black #1)

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  4,681 Ratings  ·  196 Reviews
Tanya Black has everything a woman could want: a fulfilling career, a beautiful daughter, an elegant home, and a handsome, charismatic husband who is pastor at a prominent Baptist church. And yet, none of it can hide the growing turbulence in her marriage, which suddenly has Tanya doubting what she once cherished.

Then Curtis goes too far, and Tanya's confronted with the wo
Published July 1st 2002 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2000)

kisha
Aug 17, 2012 kisha rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago. But I remember that I really liked it. I read it quickly because indeed it was a page turner. I liked it because it is the reality of many reverends and 1st lady's of the church. I was really young when I read it and it was my first time reading Christian fiction. But although I really liked it then, I imagine my rating may have been a bit lower if I would read it now.
Not because it wasnt an interestingly well-written novel, but because it was stereotypical and cliche
Wanda
Sep 09, 2012 Wanda rated it really liked it
The first of Pastor Black series! This book was something else. When I read it I had to ask is this
based on the truth? Truely I believe so because I am commenting on this books years after I read the book.
This book got me hooked on this author and I can't wait for the next book each year.
Shenae
Jul 10, 2010 Shenae rated it it was amazing
wow, what can I say about this book apart from it being awesome...but seriously though, I was captivated from beginning to end. As the pages I read increased, the more I did not want this book to end but on the other hand I wanted desperately to find out a lot of things. I loved the suspense she brought into this book as well as that sense of realness that was added.
I learned such things as no man has the right to judge another human being, everybody sins and fall short of the glory of God, God
Tamara Evans
Not very often do I find myself so drawn to a book that I can't put it down.However in the case of "Casting the First Stone," I was definitely drawn. Never before has a book written about the happenings behind closed doors in churches been discussed before. Not only that, but this is the first book which does not make the preacher totally innocent but rather,it shows that although he is a man of God, he is still a man.

Also, in this book, I found that a lot of what was happening in the book I se
Sarah Weathersby
After my book club read Love, Honor, and Betrayby Kimberla Lawson Roby, several members loved it so much they wanted us to go back to this book, the first in the Rev. Curtis Black series.

I liked that one; this one was OK; I hope we don't have to read another. I'm a good book club member. I don't mind reading things outside of my usual comfort zone. They have read several that I selected, even one that I wrote. I won't complain.
Shannon
Nov 27, 2007 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Maybe
If you like drama and I mean drama this is a perfect book to read. Tanya is married to Curtis Black a "wanna-be" all that preacher of an african-american baptist church. Girlfriend should have got a dog instead, at least they are loyal. She is in a bad marriage trying to work thru things and live a christian life. But sometimes you just can not turn the other cheek. I think the message had good intent but I just could not relate to the characters. Yes, women be strong, be true to yourself above ...more
June
Oct 31, 2012 June rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the series of 10 on Reverend Curtis Black. A good read and a page-turner. Like Curtis Black said,"there is no reward in gaining the whole world just to lose your own soul". He learned this himself. I'm looking foward to reading the 2nd book in the series,"Too Much of a Good Thing and the 3rd book, "The Best-Kept Secret.(I already read series 4 through 10).
Stacie
Nov 02, 2015 Stacie rated it it was amazing
All the Curtis Black books are full of DRAMA and this one gets it all started. I couldn't believe this man had the nerve to step foot in a church let alone call himself a pastor. He was too much. I read this book a long time ago. Long before my Kindle love affair began. Lol. Happy reading.
Tiffany Mack
Oct 28, 2015 Tiffany Mack rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-book-shelf
I really enjoyed book #1 of the Curtis Black Series. Honey this Pastor was a piece of work. I finished this book in one day. If you haven't read it I think you should it's one of those books that will hold you captive from the first few pages. All I can say is YOU MUST READ IT!
Tiffany Pitts
Jul 18, 2013 Tiffany Pitts rated it it was amazing
Tanya Black has a perfect life. She has a fulfilling career, a nice home, and an ideal family. All this seems to come crashing down when she finds out her husband is not as "ideal" as she thought. Tanya find out secrets about her husband that alters her life in every way imaginable. Through struggles and problems, she learns a great deal about love, life, and pain.

The author uses the following craft in her writing: Creating characters, voice and tension. The author does an exceptional job at cr
Valerie
What happens when the pastor of a prominent Baptist church becomes corrupt through money, power, and women? And how does his wife maintain her sanity during the process? Tanya Black has everything a woman could want: a fulfilling career, a beautiful daughter, an elegant home and a handsome, charismatic husband who is pastor at a prominent Baptist church. And yet, Tanya can no longer deny that the calm surface of her life hides a growing turbulence. Her husband Curtis, once a supportive partner a ...more
MZURAQT
Nov 07, 2013 MZURAQT rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First lady Tonya Black believed in her husband calling to become a preacher she Packs up her life from Atlanta to come to Chicago So Curtis Black can pastor at Faith Missionary Church. Being the first lady comes with its perks nice house car and a beautiful daughter but it doesn't bring happiness.With rumors going around about her husband committing adultery and secrets being hidden. Tanya finally gets fed up but is she ready for what she finds?

This was my first read by Mrs.Roby and I must say I
Dr Author Wright, PhD, MinD, ThD, DD
“Casting the First Stone” by Kimberla Lawson Roby is a masterful presentation of creative writing. Ms. Roby is very inventive and uses great imagination in portraying the characters and situations of her story. In this novel, she vividly described the fraught lives of a married couple who struggles to remain faithful to each other in their Christian walk. Tanya, who is presupposed to have achieved a degree of life success, is married to Curtis, a charismatic pastoral husband who is laden with so ...more
Briana Ford
CHILE. Whew. Great read. Came recommended to me by an Audible concierge (thanks Summer!) and it was really good. The narration was good too, although some of the pauses had me pretty anxious. I know people are iffy on the fact that it's drama in the church, but, well, there's drama in the church. Period point blank. We're still flesh, and there are pastors out there who don't practice what they preach. Curtis infuriated me and made me shake my head A LOT. Tanya seemed very relatable and I unders ...more
Denise Gilliam
Mar 30, 2014 Denise Gilliam rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. The Pastor Curtis Black was a good man in the beginning. He was so money hungry just like a lot of pastors in today's churches. That's why I choose to leave my very first church. The pastor and his family was living better then his church family. I like Tonya she was nothing like that all she wanted was a loving husband and a father for her daughter. I will read part 2 to see what else Pastor Curtis Black is up to. This is a good series so far.
Destiny
May 12, 2014 Destiny rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It kept me entertained from beginning to end. I listened to the audiobook and at times I didn't want to get out of my car because I was listening to a good part. Great storyline about a pastor who lost his way. The story also deals with marriage and infidelity, but most of all it deals with friendship, respect and the Lord. This is the first book I've read by this author. I will definitely continue to read her work. On to book 2 of the series I go.
LaChelle
Oct 13, 2010 LaChelle rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome. It showed me that I shouldn't be so naive when it comes the the Church because EVERYONE is human, and will always fall short of God. Just keep the faith, be true to yourself, and pray for yourself and those around you because we all need it. Thank you Mrs. Roby for sharing that with me.
Londa
Sep 26, 2009 Londa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
OMG! my husband bought me this book, cause I love to read novels and oh my goodness it was soooo good. If you have only read this book you need to follow upon it with the rest of the curtis black stories, b/c best believe it doesn't stop here.
Saresa
Jun 20, 2013 Saresa rated it it was amazing
Too much drama for one Christian fiction book..I read this over 10 years ago and again this week just as quickly as I did the first time. Back then, I was shocked and sadden that this type of behavior could go on in the church..But, today I'm not surprised.
Sharon
Mar 19, 2008 Sharon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read the first three novels of the Rev. Curtis Black series years ago so I decided to read them all over again so I could follow Ms. Roby's Love & Lies and Sin No More.

I loved reading the Rev. Curtis Black series back then and enjoy it even more now.
Genevieve Woods
Jun 30, 2014 Genevieve Woods rated it it was ok
GOOD BOOK BUT I DO NOT NEED TO READ ABOUT HYPROCRITS. WELL WRITTEN RECOMMEND FOR THOSE WHO LIKE CHURCH DRAMA.
Erika Lundy
Jul 10, 2007 Erika Lundy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Whew. This book is mind blowing and has a main character that you can really cheer for. I love it.
Nardsbaby Reader
Jan 07, 2009 Nardsbaby Reader rated it really liked it
Growing Process

This book was so good. I was truly captivated from the very first page to the very last page. This book was well written, with great characters. Highly recommend this book.
Shavonne
Aug 09, 2012 Shavonne rated it it was amazing
I can not wait to read the next book in this series.
Kenneth Killian
Feb 13, 2014 Kenneth Killian rated it it was amazing
Awesome!!!!Wow!!!
Tongeia
Oct 28, 2016 Tongeia rated it liked it
This book is a reminder that Christians struggle and do fall short. If the church constantly hears rumors, shouldn't you investigate. Where there's smoke, there's fire. Rev Black had some major issues and needed heavy counseling instead of giving counseling. He got caught up in his own "world". Tanya's character got on my nerves sometimes. Leave/stay. Be with James/ can't be with James. Staying after Curtis put his hands on her(and you run a domestic violence support group). In the end, the righ ...more
Sherry
Jan 03, 2017 Sherry rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. Curtis was a piece of work in this book. I am so happy that Tanya did not take his mess. I cannot wait for the next book in the series.
Letesa Campbell
Nov 19, 2016 Letesa Campbell rated it really liked it
good book but 2 wrongs don't make a right.
Cathy
Nov 15, 2016 Cathy rated it liked it
I can't remember the year I actually read this book but it was a good story!
Joi
Dec 19, 2016 Joi rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and its characters. What a dirty dog Reverend Curtis Black is!
  • A Sin and a Shame
  • The Preacher's Son
  • Everybody Say Amen
  • Sisters & Lovers
  • A Love of My Own
  • God Still Don't Like Ugly (God Don't Like Ugly, #2)
  • Soulmates Dissipate (Soulmates Dissipate, #1)
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
New York Times Bestselling Author, Kimberla Lawson Roby, has published thirteen novels which include, BEST FRIENDS FOREVER, THE ULTIMATE BETRAYAL, A CHRISTMAS PRAYER, THE PRODIGAL SON, A HOUSE DIVIDED, THE PERFECT MARRIAGE, THE REVEREND'S WIFE, SECRET OBSESSION, LOVE, HONOR, and BETRAY, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR, A DEEP DARK SECRET, THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, ONE IN A MILLION, SIN NO MORE, LOVE &a ...more
More about Kimberla Lawson Roby...

Reverend Curtis Black (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Too Much of a Good Thing (Reverend Curtis Black, #2)
  • The Best-Kept Secret (Reverend Curtis Black, #3)
  • Love & Lies (Reverend Curtis Black, #4)
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black, #5)
  • The Best of Everything (Reverend Curtis Black, #6)
  • Be Careful What You Pray For (Reverend Curtis Black, #7)
  • Love, Honor, and Betray (Reverend Curtis Black, #8)
  • The Reverend's Wife (Reverend Curtis Black, #9)
  • A House Divided (Reverend Curtis Black, #10)
  • The Prodigal Son (Reverend Curtis Black #11)