Start by marking “On Secret Service” as Want to Read:
On Secret Service

On Secret Service

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  904 ratings  ·  53 reviews
A dramatic tale of spying and espionage, On Secret Service chronicles the Civil War from its onset to Lincoln's assassination. Jakes follows the romance of two couples, divided by war and allegiance. Lon Price is a Pinkerton detective assigned to the railroad out of Chicago. Lon ends up helping in the Union war effort when Pinkerton pledges his company and his men to Gener ...more
Published June 1st 2000 by Dutton Adult (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about On Secret Service, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Secret Service

Bianca Jane Manahane
I love novels that I can easily picture as films, and this piece is definitely one of them. All the action that follows within the era just keep the book exciting! Also, the "forbidden love" discovered within the lives of the characters is what really kept me entertained! As a plus, I felt it was really faithful to the time and place it was set in.
Lynn
I think "big" topics, like war, deserve to be viewed from multiple perspectives. John Jakes has provided a unique perspective on the US's Civil War--the war in context with the genesis of the country's secret service. Pinkerton's detectives become Union spies and bodyguards. The Confederacy also uses spies. This novel is an interesting look at both the war and the development of a professional spy/secret service network.

I thought one aspect of the novel's construction was a little too "pat", to
Jim Butler
I loved Jake's Kent Chronicles and North and South trilogy so I already knew the format and style I was about to encounter. No surprises there. I was pleased he used little known facts about the Civil War like Lincoln's high voice, the balloon observatories, the NY riots, how train tracks were destroyed, and the story of Rose. I was disappointed with the lame attempt to tie Charles Main from the trilogy into the book. I also thought he could have given better context for the plot by referencing ...more
Torben
Nein, kein Meisterwerk von John Jakes, Jahre lang mein Lieblingsautor. Es passiert wenig, es ist nicht wirklich spannend, der deutsche Titel "Mut zur Sehnsucht" bestätigt leider den Vorurteil, den man gleich hat. Es geht um zwei Liebespaare aus den verfeindeten Lagern im Bürgerkrieg. Daraus werden dann eben Geschichten konstruiert, die auf Grundlagen von Fakten entstanden sind, die aber nicht wirklich viel hergeben. Auch die Passage mit Charlie Main (aus der Fackeln im Sturm-Trilogie) ist sehr b ...more
Dee Renee  Chesnut
On Secret Service has been in my home library on the Civil War historical fiction shelf for nearly eleven years. I bought it because I like historical fiction and because I respect the work John Jakes did with his Kent Family Chronicles and the North and South Trilogy.
Remembering these series as I did probably kept this book on the shelf this long. I remember a weakness of Mr. Jakes was the similarity of the plot on which he built his story that is supported by historical facts. Too often he use
Wanda
When the Kent family chronicles were first published, I read them as quickly as they appeared on the bookstore shelves. However, it has been several years since I read any John Jakes novels. So, On Secret Service was like meeting a old friend after many years apart. As always, the historical information is fantastic and especially little known facts that add such color. This book takes place mostly in Washington, D.C. during the Civil War. Its theme is the type of military intelligence that was ...more
Collin
I am currently reading On Secret Service by John Jakes. This is the first time I have read this book, it is an extremely good book. This is a non-fiction book. I liked this book because I am into The eighteen hundreds. "She likes me. She's from Maryland, and she supports the south as strongly as you" (15). This book deals with the Civil-War and the beginning of spying in the United States. This quote relates to what I am stating because in the 1800's spying was a huge thing through out the war. ...more
Tom
Oct 01, 2007 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure - Historical
This book, about the Union Spy network during the American Civil war sends mixed messages to the reader. Are reading a histirical account of the war? Are we reading about the proverbable Spy vs Spy? Or are we reading about how low one can become to his fellow man during these times. What happens when men "dehumanize" their advesary and just look at them as the aninal call the enemy.

I will not tell you the answer, read it and find out yourself. I, myself, will probably now read his other books no
Phyllis
I am usually a big John Jakes fan, but this was not one of his best. it was ok but nothing special.
Mary
An entertaining and informative read. I came away more enlightened.
Steve
Great text about the spy war fought during the Civil War.
Merrybeth Morford grindahl
I have read most of John Jakes historical novels. I love the settings, characters problems and solutions. But Secret Service was a big disappointment. None of the characters were appealing. The book moved slowly. Many scenes were rehashed from North and South Trilogy. (Ie: the man who lived through the burning building). I took a break, read another book then came back, determined to finish it. I have also read other books that treated the prison scene in Richmond much better. I guess even good ...more
Linda Munro
Spies, espionage and treason Civil War style; this novel depicts the beginnings of spying in America. Having accomplished a great deal of research on this exact issue, I feel that the depiction Jakes has given to the idea of spying during the Civil War and to the rise of Pinkerton Security as accurate a portrayal as possible. This novel gives the reader an overall view of life in America during the Civil War era. I suggest that anyone interested in history, especially the American Civil War shou ...more
Andy
I enjoy historical fiction immensely. This book had a lot of great info regarding the civil war that I enjoyed learning about. Have always enjoyed John Jakes Writing.
Joni
I haven't read John Jakes since the Kent Family Chronicles many years ago. After reading this book, I can't figure out why it has taken me so long to pick him up again. I am a fan of historical fiction, and Jakes is very good at placing fictional characters in stories with real figures from history and blending them seamlessly. I learn more about our history from his books than I did in school. This book is about the birth of spying during the Civil War. Full of facts in a gripping story.
Chelsea Sprague
Jakes' novel does a wonderful job of putting a new spin on a classic historical fiction story. His well developed characters and factual information lend an heir of realism to the story that is very characteristic of his works. After finishing the book and reflecting on what I read, I really did enjoy the storyline, however, Jakes' style is not for everyone. He can sometimes come off as rather dry, slightly anticlimactic, and this slightly detracted from my enjoyment of the novel.
Dallas
A good fun read.
Erin
I love most of John Jakes' books and am totally hooked on Civil War period novels. This was disappointing though because it read more like a history book and I never really felt connected to the characters or really cared what happened to them. It seemed promising though, about a spy from the north crossing enemy lines and of course falling in love with the beautiful southern bell but it was actually pretty boring.
Diane
Best book I have read for while. Gritty, historical, realistic, good characters. Personal view from a handful of characters of the Civil War. Pinkerton detective agency is now working with President Lincoln's new government to obtain secret information about movements of the Southern armies in order to preserve the Union and prevent the southern states from seceding. Told from the viewpoint of a handful of diverse characters.
Deah
Either it's getting harder for me to read grown up books (as a middle school librarian I read a lot of YA), or I just don't like civil war books. I had a hard time getting through this book. And I know I like this author, because of course I read his North and South trilogy. I don't know. I just found it pretty boring. And I kept getting some of the characters mixed up, because there are a lot of them.
Kelly
I'm about halfway through this book and still waiting for something to happen... I read John Jakes many years ago and a visitor left this one behind for me. I'm going to keep trying, but I'm slowly losing enthusiasm.

Update: I gave up on this book, which I almost never do. Ended up giving it to a friend who was visiting. Definitely did not live up to my fond memories of John Jakes.
Linda
Interesting slant on the Civil War that focuses on the beginnings of the Secret Service. The detailed accounts of the hatred that the South and even some Northerners had of Lincoln drive the story and raise doubts about who was really behind the assassination. Good historical fiction in John Jakes tradition - readable and informative.
Vicki Mannering
Difficult read to keep up with characters, but love historical fiction so I stuck with it. Glad I did!
Gina
It's been a long time since I read a book by John Jakes. I used to really enjoy them. I wasn't as keen on this one for some reason. Was it worse than the others I read or am I just a different reader than I was in high school/college? Not sure, but it was kind of slow and not as interesting as I was hoping for.
Craig
I liked Jakes' book The Bastard about the American revolution, but this book is generic. The characters seem types not individuals, and the novel is filled with cliche, genre descriptions. Yes, he can plot rather well, but the characters are not particularly vivid or complex.
Susan Weber
I like John Jakes books. THey are a way of learning about history while a fictional character lives the historical event. For some reason though this book isn't as much fun as his others. It is about the formation of the Pinkertons and takes place during the Civil War.
Janette
Historical fiction about spies during the Civil War. A choppy script that really didn't capture the moment or the essense of war for me.

Jakes describes some of his research in the last few pages of the novel. You could skip this one.
Maureen
Difficult read for me ... hard to keep all the characters straight. However, if this historically 'correct' regarding the beginnings of the Secret Service -- it was very enlightening. Not sorry I read this. Would make for an interesting movie.
Dorothy Love
Interesting view of the spy side of the Civil War. It was a little tough to get caught up,in the story initially and keeping the characters straight but as I got further into it, it was more compelling.
  • Broken Promises
  • Look Away (U.S. Civil War, #1)
  • The Year of Jubilo: A Novel of the Civil War
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • 1812
  • Cain at Gettysburg
  • The Life of Johnny Reb: The Common Soldier of the Confederacy
  • Henry and Clara
  • Faded Coat of Blue (Abel Jones, #1)
  • Manassas (The Civil War Battle Series, #1)
  • The Passage (Dan Lenson, #4)
  • Even Eagles Need a Push: Learning to Soar in a Changing World
  • Freedom
  • White Doves At Morning
  • Citizen Washington
  • Creatures of the Kingdom
  • Gone for Soldiers: A Novel of the Mexican War
  • City of Glory: A Novel of War and Desire in Old Manhattan
John Jakes, the author of more than a dozen novels, is regarded as one of today’s most distinguished writers of historical fiction. His work includes the highly acclaimed Kent Family Chronicles series and the North and South Trilogy. Jakes’s commitment to historical accuracy and evocative storytelling earned him the title of “the godfather of historical novelists” from the Los Angeles Times and le ...more
More about John Jakes...
North and South (North and South, #1) The Bastard (Kent Family Chronicles, #1) Love and War (North and South, #2) Heaven and Hell (North and South, #3) The Warriors (Kent Family Chronicles, #6)