Start by marking “Harmful Intent” as Want to Read:
Harmful Intent

Harmful Intent

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  4,736 Ratings  ·  91 Reviews
An anaesthetist gives a woman a normal injection during childbirth and she dies. The doctor is sued and criminally charged, but he skips bail and returns to the hospital to try and find out exactly what went wrong. On the run from the police, he uncovers a pattern of similar killings.
Published January 3rd 1990 by Putnam Adult (first published 1990)

Kasia
Aug 02, 2010 Kasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read Robin Cook books since I was a teenager and this really reminds me of those great vintage Cooks I used to gobble up back then. Once I discovered him I was completely immersed in the world of medical thrillers, surprisingly they make for great reads, if you like books, have a bit of interest in science that is easy to understand, no worries about fancy jargon, then look no further, once you start this genre it's hard to stop.

The main character is a good guy with a bit of bad luck that t
Sam
Sep 26, 2010 Sam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like medical thrillers, and really big words
In "Harmful Intent" by Robin Cook, Jeffrey (an anesthesiologist) gets wrongly charged with malpractice and is constantly on the run from police, lawyers, bondsman, his soon-to-be ex-wife, and a crazy bounty-hunter named Devlin. While he tries to find proof that he is innocent, and later that some of the medicine was poisoned, he also struggles with his relationship and feelings towards his dead friends' widow and local hospital nurse, Kelly Everson.

I particulary enjoyed the continuously growing
Antriksh
Jul 16, 2011 Antriksh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-fiction
Harmful Intent was an incredible read. It was a bit long and some parts could have cut down a lot on words, the book was fantastic overall.

Characters were perfectly developed. Robin Cook has taken care of not skipping over any detail of any person the novel. For example, he even mentioned The fact that Devlin had to wait at the airport for his gun, even though it was a useless fact. Small things like this went a lodng way.

The plot is serious and intense, especially after the first couple of chap
Csferguson222
May 08, 2009 Csferguson222 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robin Cook has some pretty good books, and some fairly poor books. This one was his best - you can't put it down.
Kuppilidivya
May 31, 2011 Kuppilidivya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am loving this book ..will add more once i finish reading it :)
Korrapati Srujan
Probably one of the best prologues i came across in my limited reading experience. The author has his love for medicine on wide display in this action cum medical thriller. After having done a good job in laying a plot the ending did not really seem something atypical and was'nt really a gotcha moment when read. Although full points to the romance depicted amidst all the action.
Motunrayo
Apr 17, 2015 Motunrayo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mine! Mine! Harmful Intent is the bomb!Robin Cook never disappoints me. He took his time writing this particular book. Doctor on the run, doctor fighting and running like a pro, lawyers doing what they know best, funny hitman, every thing about this book is just PERFECT! So many funny characters, I like Delvin in particular, a very funny and smart hitman. Apart from the characters, I learnt so many things as usual, (I always learn one or two thing when reading Robin's book) I learnt about the di ...more
Eric
Sep 27, 2008 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robin-cook
Loved this book! My heart kept racing and wondering what was going to happen next. The odd thing was is that I read this book while my wife was pregnant. So to say the least, I was relieved when I found out that my wife would be having a C-Section and not getting an epidural! Freaky!
Sheldon Lehman
Jul 29, 2011 Sheldon Lehman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this book, Cook takes his already great stories to another level. This one is more in depth and he finds new avenues of suspense.
Clara Walker
Sep 15, 2011 Clara Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was the first Robin Cook book that I have ever read. I really enjoyed it, and aboslutely could
not put it down. It definitely keeps your attention and your interest!
Jen Acheson
Ive been a cook fan for a long long time he was my first medical thriller author I followed and I still enoy his reads- always a new twist or social issue is tied in to keep it fresh
Gale
Jan 31, 2011 Gale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it kept me on the edge of my chair!
Josephine
Jul 27, 2009 Josephine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awsome!!!!
Rick
very good
Cindy
Apr 20, 2008 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jesse and Darren
excellent fast- paced thriller. Be sure to read as a fun way to spend your down time.!
Elusive
Feb 13, 2017 Elusive rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
In 'Harmful Intent' anesthesiologist Jeffrey is having a really bad day but unbeknownst to him, the arrival of pregnant Patty Owen will turn it into the worst day of his life. Things go terribly wrong during what should have been a trouble-free childbirth, leaving Patty dead and her baby born brain-damaged. Charged with malpractice, Jeffrey goes on the run to avoid serving prison time and discovers that it's possible someone had tampered with the anesthetics..

The mystery was incredibly suspensef

Two things happen when you decide to read an author you liked when you were young:

- Warm and happy nostalgic feelings
: description

- Utter shock at how you ever thought this was cool

description

Sadly, mine was an odd combination of the two.
David King
Apr 13, 2014 David King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Harmful Intent” by Robin Cook is a novel I picked up in order to fulfil the Medical Thriller objective on the 2014 Eclectic Reader Challenge. I don’t normally read this type of book beyond some of the contagious disease themed ones which can drift into Science-Fiction realms. Therefore, this was an interesting experience for me which happily was one I enjoyed as the novel I picked turned out to be a light and entertaining read.

The plot revolves around Jeffrey Rhodes, an anaesthesiologist who en
Shira and Ari Evergreen
Spoilers here, but only if you haven't read the dustjacket. Robin Cook wrote Coma, which was made into a great movie. I've liked his other books too. They're a bit silly - the romance always feels a little forced, and the way he describes the food and the settings and even the people is always a little too detailed, like his characters shouldn't be quite so observant. But they're a little adorable too - medical sci fi thrillers with main characters who are geeky scientists and lanky doctors, afr ...more
Nathan Burgoine
Only fairly decent, I think I need to give up on Robin Cook. This audiobook had a fair enough idea: someone is killing patients at various hospitals by adding a toxin to epidural painkillers.

Why this is happening is interesting enough, and a good conspiracy, but once again, Cook's main character really bugged me. He's selfish, kind of short-sighted, and pretty stupid at times. But, on the other hand, in this book (for the first time in my Cook reading days), the heroine of the story is actuall
Anne Martin
I think I will stop reading medical thrillers for a while. Like everything, oo many means too much! You don't enjoy them as much as the first ones you went through.
This one is a classic from Robin Cook, read a long time ago and just read again today. It holds time better than some other ones, though it gets to be funny to read books without cellphones or internet. The story when you finish the book is somehow disappointing and does not make much sense. But the twists during the book, the dangero
Francesco
Apr 19, 2015 Francesco rated it really liked it
Vi è mai capitato durante le calde serate d'estate di sorbirvi un'ora e mezzo scarsa di quei film per il ciclo "Alta tensione" o "Nel segno del giallo"? Se si, e vi siete divertiti guardandoli, il libro di Cook è un perfetto surrogato di queste ridicole gemme. Cook crea un ottimo Potboiler senza tregua, con annessa cospirazione finale. I personaggi sono divertenti, ma verso la metà ho abbandonato l'interesse verso quelli principali per concentrarmi totalmente sul cacciatore di taglie, veramente ...more
Umut
Oct 21, 2015 Umut rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sonraki bölümlerde ise tam tersi bir durum var. Bu sefer konu ilginçleşirken, anlatım kötüleşiyor. Ana karakterin gitsem mi kalsam mı, binsem mi binmesem mi, sağ kapıdan mı sol kapıdan mı gibisinden kararsızlıkları adamın içini bayıltıyor. Anlatımın rayına oturması 200 lü sayfalara yaklaşıyor.

Ameliyat esnasında hastası feci şekilde can veren anestezi uzmanı Dr. Jeffery'nin hayatı açılan davalar sonucu kararmıştır. Kefaletle serbest kalan doktor tam ülkeyi terketmek üzereyken tesadüfen bir kaç y
Lisa
Jun 20, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
such a fast read... I seriously couldn't pu this book down. It was my first Robin Cook I've ever read. It's not my typical genre (medical suspense/adventure)... but I have to say, it was such an interesting book, wow... kinda took my breath away. Warning... bring a few of these books if you're going on vacay, 'cuz you'll finish this one in one night! I also read "Outbreak"... also fits into this category... very fun female protagonist... loved it as well!
Tracy Meeks
At the beginning of the book I was totally engrossed by this medical thriller. However, about halfway through the book the new angles of the plot wasn’t as richly developed. It seems like some of the twists and turns were pulled out of thin air. Also, the ending was rushed and hastily put together. I was looking forward to reading more of Robin Cook’s books, but upon completion of this book I’m not as eager to read another one.
Ana Ribeiro
Oct 28, 2016 Ana Ribeiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O enredo revela-se uma corrida contra o tempo, por entre suposições e pistas, perseguições, tiros e muita acção, ao estilo de um filme americano.

O final acabará por surpreender-vos, vos garanto. Deixo-vos uma pista: toda a situação central do enredo não passa de um jogo de interesses. ;)

O único ponto negativo que deixo relativamente a este livro, é a fraca tradução, pautada por ser uma edição muito antiga do livro, de resto, Robin Cook no seu melhor.

Leitura recomendada!
Suby
May 29, 2011 Suby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot is excellent and the narration is racy. Only trouble is the highly toxic South American frog poison is introduced once again as a contaminant this time as the agent causing death - as in a previous novel named 'Crisis' by the same author I read sometime back. This steals the story of some of the suspense.
Excellent reading, all the same.
Roberta
Mar 24, 2016 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutto-cook
When I want something light and engaging I turn to Robin Cook and his reassuring, now almost predictable plots. And I say "predictable" in a nice way, you know... like an old friend.
This time the good doctor will uncover a bigger scam than he thought, and find love (of course).
There's also a little big of legal lingo and a very tamed lawyer going with it.
Sulaiman
Jun 05, 2015 Sulaiman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harmful Intent... Being a big fan of Robin Cook, this was quite a disappointment. The story was good and the characters were well planned, but it seemed to go off pace many at times and the end was a lot predictable unlike typical Robin Cook.

Final Word - If you are a Robin Cook Fan and want to read all of his collection.. Leave Harmful intent towards the end...
Les
Oct 28, 2013 Les rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about and anesthesiologist Jeffery Rhodes. People are dying and he is accused of malpractice. He is running away from the authorities and on top of this his wife is leving him. He is trying to clear his name but he doesn't have much time because a bounty hunter and the police plus the bonds men are after him. This is a fast read and very good characters in it.
  • Miracle Cure
  • Critical Condition (Dr. Richard Steele, #2)
  • Pandemic
  • Bloodstream
  • Deadly Medicine (Joanna Blalock #1)
  • In the Hour Before Midnight
  • Hellfire
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...