Start by marking “Trinidad Noir” as Want to Read:
Trinidad Noir

Trinidad Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Trinidad Noir reveals the Caribbean island’s darkness and its appeal with an unexpected and gratifying result.

Features brand-new stories by Robert Antoni, Elizabeth Nunez, Lawrence Scott, Ramabai Espinet, Shani Mootoo, Kevin Baldeosingh, Vahni Capildeo, Willi Chen, Lisa Allen-Agostini, Keith Jardim, Reena Andrea Manickchand, Tiphanie Yanique, and more.
Published August 1st 2008 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Trinidad Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trinidad Noir

D.C. Noir by George PelecanosBrooklyn Noir by Tim McLoughlinKansas City Noir by Steve PaulLong Island Noir by Kaylie JonesOrange County Noir by Gary Phillips
Akashic Noir Collections
21st out of 80 books — 14 voters
In the Name of Salome by Julia AlvarezBrown Girl in the Ring by Nalo HopkinsonAll Decent Animals by Oonya KempadooTithe of Blood by Esther SladeA Decent Woman by Eleanor Parker Sapia
addfyah Caribbean women writers
32nd out of 72 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Elevate Difference
Jan 10, 2009 Elevate Difference rated it really liked it
When it comes to the Caribbean islands, many are inclined to see them only as a tropical hotspot for tourists. The people who actually live on those islands, which include nations like Trinidad, know better. The editors of Trinidad Noir make clear from the get-go that “Trinidad was founded on crime,” which has continued throughout the years with rampant prostitution, marijuana plantations, and corrupt police. For the sake of fiction writing, the violence, drug exchanges, and existential attitude ...more
Kim M-M
Oct 31, 2008 Kim M-M rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, caribbean
Set mostly in Trinidad, it is a book of short stories written by many authors. There's a lot of different styles of writing and most are very good. I know it's a 'noir' book, but I was still a bit surprised to find a lot of the stories concerned drugs, murder, sexuality etc.
What I would suggest is, not to take these stories as a mirror of Trinidad, but a sample of the level of writing contained there. The introduction is excellent.
Afrijewel
Sep 17, 2010 Afrijewel rated it did not like it
This book will make you never want to visit Trinidad. Plain scandalous and I feel yukky. Three stories are worth while to read. Ones titled "Pot Luck", "The Rape" and "How to Make Photocopies in the TnT National Archives". Otherwise I would recommend passing on this. Just my honest and strong opionion.
Karmen
May 27, 2015 Karmen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, 2010
This book of short stories set in Trinidad blew my mind away. Took me back to the classic noir genre as I've not experienced in a very long time.

Set both in pastoral and urban settings, the stories are unparalleled in their ability to shock, thrill and amuse in a black comedy way.

Very recommended.
Tasha
Jan 16, 2009 Tasha rated it it was amazing
I'm from Barbados, but this was the closest book to my neck of the woods :)
I love anthologies. Such a great way to introduce yourself to many novelists all at once.

Great stories!
Erin
Apr 13, 2011 Erin rated it liked it
Some of the stories were really great, some were less stellar. Definitely glad I read this AFTER going to Tridad, though, or I would have had a much less optimistic view of the country....
Tuck
Mar 09, 2010 Tuck rated it really liked it
from akashic noir series. this one does not have your typical mystery stories, but they are noir. and you will never even get a grip on TnT from these stories. but the sex, man!
Zola-kai Pollard
Jul 17, 2014 Zola-kai Pollard rated it did not like it
No...just no....as a Trinidadian this book, in my opinion lost it's way, some stories that could have been great accounts of Trinidad noir quickly became a joke, and not a funny one either. I can recommend a plethora of other books other than this if you want to get a feel of the diversity and complexity that is Trinidad. This book was an utter disappointment, I honestly couldn't make it to the end which is EXTREMELY rare for me, I stopped about 12 pages from the end, I just couldn't subject mys ...more
Tuxlie
Jul 29, 2015 Tuxlie marked it as to-read
Shelves: crime

From Publishers Weekly

The volumes in Akashic's locale-based noir anthology series set outside North America (Dublin Noir, etc.) offer more var

Alex Selldin
May 09, 2016 Alex Selldin rated it liked it
I liked many of the stories, they were interseting and well written. They are dark and some of the stories are violent. Like Manila Noir, Trinidad Noir has a very liberal way of thinking when it comes to Noir. I understand that but just because a story is dark and twisted can it be called Noir. If the them had been dark, twisted, tragedies I would have given it four stars
Ten
Apr 11, 2016 Ten rated it it was amazing
This read was fantastic! I believe it to be true to the nature of noir fiction, and an even easier read if you're a local, since you can definitely mentally chart the journeys of the characters from one area in TnT to the other. Each story definitely kept me on my toes!
If you're a fan of the genre, you should definitely give it a try.
Khrys
Jan 26, 2011 Khrys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the picturesque storytelling that paints many different portraits of my beloved island and its people.... Lovely!
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Astrid
Astrid marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Ms
Ms is currently reading it
Jul 03, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Abbey
Abbey marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Jane Veitch
Jane Veitch marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Iwik Pásková
Iwik Pásková marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Aaron Stevens
Aaron Stevens marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Dinki Daarliing
Dinki Daarliing rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Ztyu
Ztyu marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Hadiya
Hadiya marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Kate Jordan
Kate Jordan marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
J2wins
J2wins marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Leash
Leash rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Istanbul Noir
  • Lone Star Noir
  • Delhi Noir (Akashic Noir)
  • Mexico City Noir
  • Mumbai Noir
  • Bronx Noir
  • Phoenix Noir
  • New Orleans Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Kansas City Noir
  • Miami Noir
Lisa Allen-Agostini is a poet, playwright, and fiction writer from Trinidad and Tobago. She is the author of a children's novel, The Chalice Project (forthcoming, 2008). An award-winning journalist, she is the Internet editor and a columnist with the Trinidad Guardian.
More about Lisa Allen-Agostini...

Akashic Noir (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Bangkok Noir
  • Barcelona Noir
  • Belfast Noir
  • Boston Noir
  • Boston Noir 2: The Classics
  • Bronx Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Brooklyn Noir 3: Nothing But the Truth (Akashic Noir)