Start by marking “Trinidad Noir” as Want to Read:
Trinidad Noir

Trinidad Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Trinidad Noir reveals the Caribbean island’s darkness and its appeal with an unexpected and gratifying result.

Features brand-new stories by Robert Antoni, Elizabeth Nunez, Lawrence Scott, Ramabai Espinet, Shani Mootoo, Kevin Baldeosingh, Vahni Capildeo, Willi Chen, Lisa Allen-Agostini, Keith Jardim, Reena Andrea Manickchand, Tiphanie Yanique, and more.
Published August 1st 2008 by Akashic Books

To ask other readers questions about Trinidad Noir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trinidad Noir

Brooklyn Noir by Tim McLoughlinLong Island Noir by Kaylie JonesD.C. Noir by George PelecanosOrange County Noir by Gary PhillipsKingston Noir by Colin Channer
Akashic Noir Collections
19th out of 62 books — 12 voters
In the Name of Salome by Julia AlvarezBrown Girl in the Ring by Nalo HopkinsonTithe of Blood by Esther SladeAll Decent Animals by Oonya KempadooA Decent Woman by Eleanor Parker Sapia
addfyah Caribbean women writers
32nd out of 72 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim M-M
Set mostly in Trinidad, it is a book of short stories written by many authors. There's a lot of different styles of writing and most are very good. I know it's a 'noir' book, but I was still a bit surprised to find a lot of the stories concerned drugs, murder, sexuality etc.
What I would suggest is, not to take these stories as a mirror of Trinidad, but a sample of the level of writing contained there. The introduction is excellent.
Elevate Difference
When it comes to the Caribbean islands, many are inclined to see them only as a tropical hotspot for tourists. The people who actually live on those islands, which include nations like Trinidad, know better. The editors of Trinidad Noir make clear from the get-go that “Trinidad was founded on crime,” which has continued throughout the years with rampant prostitution, marijuana plantations, and corrupt police. For the sake of fiction writing, the violence, drug exchanges, and existential attitude ...more
Afrijewel
This book will make you never want to visit Trinidad. Plain scandalous and I feel yukky. Three stories are worth while to read. Ones titled "Pot Luck", "The Rape" and "How to Make Photocopies in the TnT National Archives". Otherwise I would recommend passing on this. Just my honest and strong opionion.
Tasha
I'm from Barbados, but this was the closest book to my neck of the woods :)
I love anthologies. Such a great way to introduce yourself to many novelists all at once.

Great stories!
Tuck
from akashic noir series. this one does not have your typical mystery stories, but they are noir. and you will never even get a grip on TnT from these stories. but the sex, man!
Zola-kai Pollard
No...just no....as a Trinidadian this book, in my opinion lost it's way, some stories that could have been great accounts of Trinidad noir quickly became a joke, and not a funny one either. I can recommend a plethora of other books other than this if you want to get a feel of the diversity and complexity that is Trinidad. This book was an utter disappointment, I honestly couldn't make it to the end which is EXTREMELY rare for me, I stopped about 12 pages from the end, I just couldn't subject mys ...more
Tuxlie
Jul 29, 2015 Tuxlie marked it as to-read
Shelves: crime

From Publishers Weekly

The volumes in Akashic's locale-based noir anthology series set outside North America (Dublin Noir, etc.) offer more var

Karmen
This book of short stories set in Trinidad blew my mind away. Took me back to the classic noir genre as I've not experienced in a very long time.

Set both in pastoral and urban settings, the stories are unparalleled in their ability to shock, thrill and amuse in a black comedy way.

Very recommended.
Erin
Some of the stories were really great, some were less stellar. Definitely glad I read this AFTER going to Tridad, though, or I would have had a much less optimistic view of the country....
Khrys
I love the picturesque storytelling that paints many different portraits of my beloved island and its people.... Lovely!
Molly Sparber
Molly Sparber marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Niyati Em
Niyati Em marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Charmaine Mcintosh
Charmaine Mcintosh marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Bill Brydon
Bill Brydon is currently reading it
Mar 11, 2015
Alistair
Alistair marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Rin
Rin marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Kimberly Louis
Kimberly Louis marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Elizabeth Klaczynski
Elizabeth Klaczynski marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Francescaj
Francescaj marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lisa Allen-Agostini is a poet, playwright, and fiction writer from Trinidad and Tobago. She is the author of a children's novel, The Chalice Project (forthcoming, 2008). An award-winning journalist, she is the Internet editor and a columnist with the Trinidad Guardian.
More about Lisa Allen-Agostini...

Akashic Noir (1 - 10 of 69 books)
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Bangkok Noir
  • Barcelona Noir
  • Belfast Noir
  • Boston Noir
  • Boston Noir 2: The Classics
  • Bronx Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Brooklyn Noir 2: The Classics (Akashic Noir)
  • Brooklyn Noir 3: Nothing But the Truth (Akashic Noir)
The Chalice Project (Island Fiction) The Mammoth Book of Best International Crime