Start by marking “My Little Sister Ate One Hare” as Want to Read:
My Little Sister Ate One Hare

My Little Sister Ate One Hare

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  692 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
In this uproariously funny counting book, illustrated by popular artist Kevin Hawkes, a ravenous little sister eats everything from one hare to ten peas. Now in Dragonfly, this is the perfect book for any kid who loves to giggle (and who doesn't?) and parents who love to hear them. ...more
Published September 29th 1998 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about My Little Sister Ate One Hare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Little Sister Ate One Hare

Rfrancik
Nov 13, 2008 Rfrancik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 10-picture-books, 1-c
Ever wonder what a child who eats everything including worms and ants will balk at? It turns out the little sister in My Little Sister Ate One Hare has her limits but you'll have to get to the last page to find out what it is.

This rhyming book delights the K-3rd grade crowd with it's repeating phrases and the outlandish things eaten by the "My Little Sister". Children love to participate in telling this story with the story teller and are suitably satisfied with the ending.

The pictures are colo
Linden
Feb 05, 2014 Linden rated it really liked it
Bill Grossman's "My Little Sister Ate One Hare", is a fun and unique way too look at a counting book. Each page tells the story of a young girl who can eat almost everything she comes across! These include rabbits, snakes, ants, and even smelly socks and shoes. Through out the book there is the funny suspicion that the little sister might throw up, but she consistently does not and continues to eat all that she can. The story takes a turn when little sister encounters 10 peas. What happens next ...more
Maya Benberry
Apr 28, 2014 Maya Benberry rated it really liked it
Shelves: counting
I thought that My Little Sister Ate One Hare was an adorable counting book. It started off with the sister eating one hare and from there she continued to eat different animals throughout the book. After each animal was ate, it would then mention the previous animal so for example, "My little sister ate 3 ants. She even ate their underpants. She ate 2 snakes. She ate 1 hare. We thought she'd throw up then and there. But she didn't". I liked the way that it was written because it involved countin ...more
Renee
Jun 17, 2012 Renee rated it liked it
Summary: Little sister has no problem eating one hare, two snakes, and three ants, but when she gets to ten peas, she throws up quite a mess. The little sister is a performer, wearing different costumes on stage as she eats these various things.

"My little sister ate one hare.
We thought she'd throw up then and there.
But she didn't."

"My little sister ate 8 worms.
She ate the worms with all their germs.
She captured 7 polliwogs
And ate them as they turned to frogs.
She ate 6 mice. She ate 5 bats.
Ashley Barna
Apr 16, 2012 Ashley Barna rated it liked it
Shelves: counting
My Little Sister Ate One Hare by Bill Grossman is not what you would call your usual counting book. In this story a little sister is watched as each page turns, eating more and more interesting animals and bugs. She manages to get all the creatures inside of her before she becomes ill. As readers follow through this counting story, they will be faced with silly rhymes that get your tongue twisted and your tummy laughing. This book is more for kindergarten through early first grade. This book can ...more
Chelsea Gail Smith
Jan 30, 2013 Chelsea Gail Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: counting-book
My Little Sister Ate One Hare by Bill Grossman and illustrated by Kevin Hawkes was a fun story to incorporate counting, rhyming and what not to eat. It is a good counting story because after each number, like, "My little sister ate 5 bats. She ate their coats and ties and hats," they went back and went over the other numbers and animals she ate, "4 shrews, 3 ants, 2 snakes, 1 hare. We thought she'd throw up then and there. But she didn't." Another thing that really stuck out to me was the illust ...more
Kathy Grimm
Jun 06, 2014 Kathy Grimm rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children 3-7 years old
I purchased this illustrated poem for my youngest child many years ago. She was and still is in love with poetry. I would like to think that her love of such is due to all of the time spent reading it aloud to her when she was small. Her sister simply hated peas more than any other food and so my youngest found this rhyme very amusing. The illustrations are also playfully entertaining. Of all my children's counting books, this is probably my favorite!
Valerie
Apr 01, 2016 Valerie rated it it was amazing
In a comic counting book, the narrator's sister eats her way through a hare, shrews, worms, and other disgusting items, until 10 peas lead to the inevitable conclusion. It seems healthy food makes her sick. The book has a good mix of familiar and less known animals so children learn new words as well as practice their counting. The cumulative nature of the story also helps with memory.
Ashley Cochran
This book is about a little sister eating a whole bunch of things from a hair all the way to 10 peas. Even with all the snakes and shrews and lizards, nothing made her sick except the “healthy food” like peas. This is a cute little poetry book that children will love to read because of everything that she ate.
Marguarite Markley
How I would use for preschool storytime:

Fill a jar with all the things the sister eats...after reading the silly story, you can count all the objects leftover.

Good to pair with "I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly" for a storytime about eating silly things.
Rachael Vanderhoof
Feb 23, 2012 Rachael Vanderhoof rated it liked it
Shelves: counting-book
My Little Sister Ate One Hare is a fun counting book that will have you laughing. It is about a little sister who eats a variety of things, including snakes, polliwogs, worms, and much more! This book is written in a lively way and makes counting fun for children. The illustrations are my favorite part of the book. I especially love how the illustrator drew the little girls mouth, it appears big and loud. I also like how you can count the objects that she ate, for example, on the page where the ...more
Mckayla Pietrowski
Oct 01, 2015 Mckayla Pietrowski rated it really liked it
This book was awesome! It is a great book to learn counting. I like how there was suspicion throughout the book that she was going to throw up. It kept me on my toes! There needs to be more counting books like this one.
Ms Threlkeld
Jun 17, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A very silly and entertaining story about a girl who manages to eat disgusting things and not get sick, but then she meets her match. As a very picky eater and avoider of most vegetables, I could totally relate.
Teressa
Jul 05, 2014 Teressa rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite kids' picture books of all time. If you have a little one and you don't have this picturebook, you're missing out on some fun reading. Great rhymes, funny, excellent way to teach numbers.
Kristal
Jan 21, 2016 Kristal rated it it was amazing
If you can judge a book by how many times you are asked to read it, then this one is well on its way to the top! Not sure which one of us enjoyed it more.
Sheniqua
Apr 22, 2012 Sheniqua rated it it was amazing
This fun read is about a little boy's sister who eats ten different weird and disgusting things throughout the book, including animals like shrews and lizards. In the end, she eats something that finally makes her throw up. I would use this book to teach a math lesson about ordinal numbers (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.) and how these numbers describe a position and are different from our regular counting numbers. What did she eat first? What did she eat fourth? I could also use this book to talk about dif ...more
Megan Phillips
This book could be used with making predictions by letting the students predict what they think the sister is going to eat next.

Math can be incorporated in this book by having the students count how many animals the sister ate or for a challenge, how many legs did the sister eat altogether.

Science can be incorporated into this book by pointing out the different animals and how many legs each of them have and corresponding that to their species and/or their classification. This could be a great
Jennybeast
Dec 15, 2015 Jennybeast rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny preschool read -- nice update on old lady swallowing fly, with great rhymes.
Janice
Oct 17, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it
It's a very cute story with counting. My son gets a kick out of it whenever we read it.
Colby
Dec 03, 2011 Colby rated it it was ok
My Little Sister Ate One Hare by Bill Grossman is a counting and rhyming picture story about a little girl who eats lots of interesting animals. She gets through eating, bats, snakes, shrews, polliwogs turned into frogs and even ants. She gets all the way to eating ten, but she is stopped, not by an animal, but by a vegetable. This story is a cute that helps children to count to ten and enjoy rhyming as thy go. Kevin Hawkes has done a good job illustrating the book. He uses light and dark colors ...more
QuaNiyah Cooke
Jul 07, 2015 QuaNiyah Cooke rated it really liked it
Great book that can be used to teach counting and rhyming .
Lynne Marie
Apr 18, 2016 Lynne Marie rated it really liked it
A clever, subversive book with a fun ending :)
Ashlyn Kesler
Rhyme, repetition of events, alliteration.
Yingyi
Oct 15, 2014 Yingyi rated it really liked it
押韵。有意思小故事
Zilha B.
Mar 23, 2013 Zilha B. rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This story is about a little sister who eats everything. The book is filled with a lot of rhyming words and repeating phrases that are catchy. This book is great for counting in the lower elementary grades. The author repeats the previous animals and numbers the little sister ate, so it is great to have students count all of the things she ate, as well as to add on. If the little sister ate 8 things in the last page, and now she ate 4 more, how many did she eat? This is a great math book!
Claudia Telleria
Nov 20, 2015 Claudia Telleria rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry-books
Penny Klostermann
Nov 11, 2012 Penny Klostermann rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of cumulative, rhyming text and this book gets it all right. It is a counting book that will have kids giggling. This perfect read aloud invites audience participation.The illustrations are hilarious, also. The little sister’s mouth is open WIDE, and her face has a “no-big-deal-that-I’m-eating-bats-mice-and-shrews” expression that is priceless. As any humorous book should…this book has a special little twist at the end that will bring the biggest laugh of all.
Jim
Aug 19, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious, yet disturbing.
Lynnda Cahoon
Aug 07, 2007 Lynnda Cahoon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves humorous picture-books for kids
Shelves: books4kids
This is my very favorite read-aloud for kids. The story (told in rhyme) is simple, sequential, repetitive, and cumulative, as well as extraordinarily amusing (for children AND adults). The pictures are wonderful. I have read this book to so many children (and groups of children), that my original copy is beginning to come unbound -- and instead of replacing it, I'm planning to take it apart & laminate each page so that I can continue to share it indefinitely!
Jennifer Borduin
Feb 07, 2012 Jennifer Borduin rated it really liked it
This is a very adorable book for a math lesson on counting and addition! The different pages of the book go through the different amounts of "things" that the litle girl eats, and there are ways to expand the numbers on the page. For example, she ate a certain number of frogs on one page, but how many frog LEGS did the girl eat? That can bring children to higher levels of addition, or even the beginning stages of multiplication.
  • Whatever
  • Cat and Fish
  • Ten In The Den
  • The Animal Boogie
  • I Know a Rhino
  • What! Cried Granny
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Goldie Locks Has Chicken Pox