Start by marking “The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” as Want to Read:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,107 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
The world's best-loved children's stories set in large type for easy reading.
-- Over 100 illustrations in each book
Library Binding, 238 pages
Published January 28th 2002 by Abdo Publishing Company (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Riley Davis
Apr 20, 2015 Riley Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tom Sawyer Book Review
Author of Book: Mark Twain
Review written by: Riley
Genre: Classic
Tom Sawyer is a troublemaker. He gets in trouble and is,ordered by Aunt Polly, to paint their fence. When his friends see him painting the fence, Tom pretends to be having fun to make his friends jealous. He tricks his friends into giving him stuff in order to have a turn painting. A new girl moves into town named Becky. Tom and Becky like each other but Becky is really mad when she finds out that Tom liked som
Kieran
Feb 29, 2016 Kieran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like it because tom has a cat named pete
Maggie
Jan 26, 2016 Maggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading to my reluctant reader can feel like a waste of time. After all, he is capable of picking up a book and reading it on his own. I books I want to read too.

Then again the goal is to get him to enjoy reading.

Reading to him has become a routine, an event, that he looks forward to. He is always thinking of the next book we are going to share. Those books are different from the ones he reads at school and which are part of the class reading club. And by different, I don't mean that they are
Alex Tieplinsky
Nov 24, 2014 Alex Tieplinsky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. The Genre of the book is a action and adventure novel. The book is about a young boy growing up along the banks of the Mississippi River in 1876. The story takes place in a fictional town of St. Petersburg, Missouri which was inspired by Hannibal, Missouri. I'm rating this book 4 out of 5 stars. The story is a constant thriller with ups and downs, and wild action. It's main characters, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, are the best of friends that set o ...more
Anh Cat
9. If you could ask any character a question, what would you ask? If you could ask the author a question, what might that be? Explain why you chose these questions.
If you could ask any character a question, I would ask Tom why he tricked about his dead and what he received when he did it. I think he seemed did not understand this was a serious problem. Although he had some good action, he had more trickery. I think as a twelve-year boy, Tom hardly had this kind of idea in his mind. I wonder what
Josh
Jun 05, 2008 Josh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's willing to be brought back childhood memories.
Recommended to Josh by: CMT325
Ah, "Tom Sawyer". The story of a kid from St.
Petersburg, Missouri, who usually gets into nothing but
trouble. However, there are many other things we find out about him as well. He witnesses a murder, committed by Injun Joe, and doesn't tell, yet, for fear of being killed himself.
He also falls in love with Judge Thatcher's niece, and goes through some pretty rough times in his relationship with her. Also, he cons other kids to do his chores while he eats an apple.

This book was very funny in s
07jordanm
Jan 09, 2012 07jordanm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Author: Deidre S. Laiken (Adapter)

Summary:
Tom Sawyer is a mischievous kid always up to no good. He is always lying, getting people to do his work for him, and much more. But one day he decides to run away after he falls in love with the new girl Becky Thatcher. He persuades her to get "engaged" to him. Their romance falls rapidly after Becky finds out Tom has already been "engaged" to a girl named Amy Lawrence. After being ignored by Becky Tom decides to hea
Ethan Hasibuan30574
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer wasn't really a good book. One reason why is that, It's plot wasn't good because it wasn't descriptive about it's setting and characters. Also, the book didn't have a lot of complex words. Another reason why I didn't think it wasn't a good book is because it wasn't a book that had me on the edge of my seat. If the book was more descriptive I would've liked the book a little bit. The book could of been way better in my opinion.
Veronica Molina
Es bastante interesante como para estudiar la época o la tendencia literaria (yo encontré una fuerte influencia del romanticismo), pero me tinca re fome para leerlo en el colegio. Creo que de hecho un adulto lo puede disfrutar más que un niño, porque es más fácil simpatizar con el protagonista y entender la gravedad de las situaciones en las que se mete.
Y el escenario es entretenido, pero también como para alguien más interesado en la época.
Algo que me gustó mucho fue el acercamiento a las super
David
Mar 11, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Yet another "read aloud" with my Grandson (age 7). These Classic Illustrated editions are just perfect for his age, though we do stop from time to time to talk a bit about specific words or items outside his frame of reference such as "intricate" or how dark it really is in caves when you have no light and how a ball of string is a "clue".

I was briefly disappointed that Laiken changed the scene about Tom's note to Aunt Polly. In Twain's version, Aunt Polly, though tempted to reach into Tom's ja
A blog of one´s own
Wow, en serio me gustó este libro. Tom es tan ingenioso, jajaja, siempre engaña a otros y saca provecho de los demás, pero en el fondo es un buen niño. Mientras lo leía recordé a una maestra que no nos enseñó nada en realidad en la primario, pero se la pasaba leyéndonos las aventuras de Tom Sawyer.

Me encantó el libro y todas las locuras que de casualidad viven Huck y Tom a causa de Joe el indio, pero debo admitir que mi personaje faborito es Huckleberry Finn.
Makayla Peterson
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer is the adventurous life of a boy who lives in St. Petersburg. It is a well written book where tom sawyer goes to school, gets in trouble, and saves his love life. Twice. I honestly didn't like the book but it was well written.
Nick Hyatt
Feb 20, 2015 Nick Hyatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was fantastic. It reminded me a bit of how I was as a kid, and I liked how everyone likes him, doesn't like him, or don't know him. I would recommend it to anybody who likes a good piece of literature, and likes kids. Enjoy!
Keishon

The adventures of Tom Sawyer by, Mark Twain is a kind of a intresting book, I did not find it very boring nor did I find it very great as others describe the book.
I coould definitley can compare this book to a few, for example the book the Diary of Whimpy kid. I think the similarities in between the two books is the mischief these characters get into the only diffrence is that " Tom Sawyer" gets in a bit more trouble. For the most part these to books are similar.
I like this book it was funny
Paul Hardin
Jun 30, 2013 Paul Hardin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this version of Mark Twain's classic story of a boy who gets into a lot of trouble. I think for me, I would use this book in my classroom not only when discussing history and what life might have been like, but when deciding and teaching children the difference between right and wrong. Tom Sawyer always seems to find himself in tough spots but yet always manages to get himself out of them. I would try to convey to my students that although it may be fun to break rules, a ...more
Andrea Snoddy
Nov 30, 2014 Andrea Snoddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was also very fun to read and it got me interested in Samuel Clemens [Mark Twain]. The adventures were lively and exciting it and made you want to turn the next page.
Jered Moore
Jan 24, 2014 Jered Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite books.It was full of detail and had a great plot. It makes me feel like was at my grandma's house when I read this. It is a perfect adventure book for everyone. You will read then the next thing you know, you won't be able to stop reading. It's about a boy that likes to go on adventures. He gets into trouble a lot of the time. This is a highly recommended book. You will be interested in this author's books.
Jerry
Jun 02, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A timeless classic in a kid-friendly, easy-to-read, illustrated format. What's not to like?
Danielle
Aug 22, 2009 Danielle rated it really liked it
I liked the book and idea. Before I read the book, I heard that the book was good. In the middle of the school year, my English teacher assigned a project on classics. So, I chosen thia one. I loved reading the book so much that at a moment, I missed a party to finish the reading the book! (Actually, I didn't want to go anyway. It was an adult party. After I was in the middle of the book, I decided that I would stay home. Mark Twain chose a very goos story. Since he based it on his childhood, it ...more
Mile Aguayo
Jul 10, 2015 Mile Aguayo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hermoso... :)
Yaa
Jan 07, 2016 Yaa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
nice book
jacky
This edition is the highly adapted and revised children's illustrated version. My students are about to start reading Huck Finn in a couple of weeks. I read aloud to them this version of Tom Sawyer to help them get to know Tom, Huck, and the other characters as well as the setting. A lot of the beauty of the writing is gone, but it was fun reading the exciting parts, like the murder, Injun Joe jumping through the window, and when the money is found.
JenniferR
Jun 05, 2008 JenniferR rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to JenniferR by: my teacher
I realy liked this book. I was actually suprised at how much i realy got into it. I would recommend this book to anyone becuse it was esy to read and was actually very interesting. I think Mark Twain is a very good author and i want to read more of his writing. What i learned from this book was that friends are something everyone should have just incase you get into trouble.
Elyza
Jun 14, 2010 Elyza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This was my first Mark Twain read. My sister hates his books so I thought I should read one to see why. I can understand why she doesn't like his style of writing, but I rather liked it! I envy Tom's childhood, except the whole being stalked by a murderer bit. He had lots of fun and its cool that Tom's character is based on other boys Mr. Twain knew and his own childhood.
Nerf Nation
Apr 26, 2010 Nerf Nation rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Nerf by: my mom

It's about a boy who likes tricking other people into doing stuff for him. He meets another boy named Huck and they get into a lot of trouble. They end up in a graveyard spying on murderers, and then they have to solve a big mystery -- that's my favorite part. I can't give away all the secrets, you're just going to have to read it and find out.
Melanie
Mar 30, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
I was looking through my mom's book shelves and I see this one book that caught my eye.
I look at it and see its from Mark Twain. And in school I have heard a lot about that author.
So I start reading it and I loved it!
Couldn't put it down.
I would go to bed at 8 PM and read it until 1 AM!!
I was crazy for the book haha
Backtobooks
Mar 09, 2015 Backtobooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for the first time when I was 12 so it was a reread for me but I never knew this book had so much adventure murder and buried treasure and the relationship between Becky and Tom is unique because jealousy in Becky sometimes plays hard to get but it is a good book overall and I'm glad I reread it.
Amber Pangburn
Dec 12, 2011 Amber Pangburn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter-book
This is about Tom Sawyer who was always running off to stay away from his aunts house. He would live on the streets when not with his aunt. I would use this book in the classrooms when we talk about classic stories.
PWRL
Sep 11, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
James
Mar 18, 2009 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is an abridged version for children. I use them (there is a series of books - The Great Illustrated Classics) to read with the our children every evening.
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Prince and the Pauper (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Hans Brinker Silver Skates (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Oliver Twist
  • The Call of the Wild (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • The Jungle Book (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Little Women (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • A Journey to the Center of the Earth (Great Illustrated Classics)
  •  ألغاز إدجار آلان بو