I delitti del mosaico (Dante Alighieri, #2)

I delitti del mosaico (Dante Alighieri #2)

2.76 of 5 stars 2.76  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Nel 1300 Dante Alighieri viene nominato Priore di Firenze. È la carica più alta della città e comprende, oltre alla gestione della cosa pubblica e della politica cittadina, anche il comando delle milizie. Proprio in questa veste Dante viene chiamato a indagare sulla misteriosa morte di un artigiano, lasciato morire con il volto coperto di calce viva ai piedi della sua ulti...more
Paperback, Oscar, 321 pages
Published March 8th 2005 by Mondadori (first published 2004)

Tea Jovanović
Odličan istorijski roman... Do prevoda naslova došli smo ispijajući kafu i ćaskajući s autorom i njegovim prvim prevodiocem u jednom rimskom kafeu davne 2005. Primetili ste da knjiga obiluje fusnotama... Ana se svojski potrudila i izvukla je iz naftalina i svoje studentske beleške o Danteu... :) Posle je 2007. Leoni bio u Beogradu pa su i čitaoci mogli da se druže s njim. Sjajan čovek, odličan pisac... U Srbiji su ga čitaoci bolje prihvatili nego u Hrvatskoj...
Kristen
When I read about this book, which casts Dante (yes, that Dante - author of the Divine Comedy) as the prior of the city of Florence, and therefore responsible to solve the highly unusual murder of a mosaic artisan in a church, I thought it sounded interesting and clever.

Unfortunately, I found the book painfully dull. The character of Dante is portrayed as a self-important, but at the same time fearful and mean-spirited person. He is not at all likeable, in fact I could see why other characters i...more
Charles Franklin
Pros: Historical detail, realistic portrayal of characters, Political intrigue that serves as backdrop of story

Cons: May not have enough action for some readers, Some confusing scenes at the end, Very enigmatic ending

(Note: Read up on Dante's life before you get this book, if you decide to)

The Mosaic Crimes was actually a pretty entertaining book, considering that I believed it to be a knock-off historical version of a Dan Brown novel. The book featured a character who I have never came to know...more
Bea
The is a historical novel. It is based in Florence, Italy, in 1300 and the story occurs over one week (6/15 - 6/22). It is the time just before the clash between the Whites (who had misgivings about Pope Boniface VIII and his court) and the Blacks (extremists who supported the papacy) - two factions of the Guelphs.

Dante Alighieri was born in Florence into the Guelph family (middle class supporters of the papacy). Although Dante was a devout Catholic and held many of the principles of his family...more
Nicole
M M
We have a frenetic The Third Heaven Conspiracy (also known as The Mosaic Crimes) by Giulio Leoni – a tale of Dante (in this case following the man himself, rather than serial killers killing in accordance to the deaths in his magnum opus). Dante is an investigator, a Prior, in Florence, and he attempts to solve the death of a mosaicist involved in the construction of the new cathedral in his city. Meanwhile, the Papacy is intruding into Florentine affairs, raising the hackles of the political el...more
Jeffrey
Generally, I liked the evocation of late medieval Florence in this book, especially the intellectual discussions or debates that the various characters sometimes have. The murder mystery driving the plot was decent, though I thought the solution was somewhat far-fetched and even a little hoaky.

But the thing I liked least about this book was the picture of Dante it presented. Whether the author was trying to take the piss out of Dante I don't know, but that was the effect. He stalks through the b...more
Georgia Smith
God, what a dreary and forgettable book. The first bit was almost interesting - the part about the murder itself, the artist himself, Dante. After that it grew increasingly monotonous with characters all blending into each other like a perfect watercolor, none of them individuals at all. I got halfway through by sheer willpower but once I'd gone to the library to stock up my pile, I just couldn't handle this book any more. The main character was almost interesting in the sense that the author di...more
Charles
THE CURE FOR INSOMNIA/SLEEPLESSNESS. Okay. Maybe I didn't give this book a chance; and MAYBE I will read--if I can--some more pages, but I (am finding) this author's writing dull. I don't know. He writes more like a documentary might be narrated. Maybe I was just really sleepy already when I began this.
Pythia
La quarta di copertina cita Faletti "Il Dante che avrei voluto studiare a scuola": direi che Giorgio non ha capito un cavolo sia di Dante che del romanzo in questione.
L'Alighieri di Leoni ha, a mio parere, in comune con il sommo poeta solo il nome: a parte qualche citazione poetica qua e là, non dà grandi motivi di identificazione.
In ogni caso, il giallo è ben strutturato, con momenti di suspense e talvolta di comicità ben equilibrati.
Nonostante sia il seguito di "Dante Alighieri e i delitti del...more
Janne Paananen
Historialliset seikkailuromaanit ovat paheeni. Kun tapahtumat sijoittuvat 1300-luvun Italiaan ja pääosassa on Dante Alighieri, niin väkisinkin odottaa mielenkiintoista lukuelämystä. Mutta nyt petyin pahasti. Yksinkertaistetusti kyseessä murhamysteeri, jota Dante Firenzen priorina setvii. Varsin varhaisessa vaiheessa syylliset rajautuvat uuden oppineiden joukon jäseniin. Ja lisää löylyä soppaan heittää tavernassa tanssiva mystillinen ja aistikas Antilia. Valitettavasti kerronta on kaikkea muuta k...more
Jay
It took me three long years to finish a book that should have only taken a few hours, and the only reason I finished it was because I had spent money on the book and I was determined to recoup some of the value.

Sadly, there is not much that could be considered valuable here.

In short, the book is complete and utter pretentious crap that attempts to be intelligent and insightful but fails miserably. The plot seems to meander from page to page, unsure of where to go, and the characters likewise ei...more
Vivienne
Feb 01, 2010 Vivienne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vivienne by: vivienneor@yahoo.com

I'd probably give this one 3.5 stars if I could as while I found it quite an interesting work of historical fiction, it was at times hard going. I found out that, as with many Nordic crime writers, that this was the second in a trilogy of novels but the first translated into English.

As the first book in a series is often where the author gives more to 'setting of place', it explains why I felt a little lost. Naughty publishers!

The mystery engaged me to the end and had some interesting implicati...more
Pedro
This is a good book if you're just looking for an uncompromising historical investigation story.
The mystery behind the murder case is able to keep you reading the book till the end and the good thing is that you're able somehow to discover some aspects of Dante's life. The book has some historical problems ( but that's common since it's literature and not an academic book ) but in general the hole scenario is quite good.
Perhaps, not one of the best historical books ever, like Umberto Eco or Be...more
Dennis
It was okay. Dante seems to bounce between rage, curiosity, and daydreaming. Maybe poets from ancient times were like that -- I don't know. The pacing of the book was meticulous (read: slow), but it paid off a little in the end when you realized what was happening. I enjoyed it, it was an easy read, and I don't feel ashamed to say that I read it. It could be worse.
Marco
Molto piacevole. Dante �� raffigurato un po' diverso da come ce lo presenta la storia ma ben caratterizzato.
Storia simpatica con una quotidianit�� medioevale abbastanza ben dipinta.
L'intreccio simpatico ed interessnte con un finale a sorpresa.
Buona lettura senza troppo impegno che magari vi fa ridare una scorsa alla storia del 1300 fiorentino.
Susan
Couldn't get through it - Dante seemed like a jerk.
David Schwan
The main character of the book is the poet Dante covering a murder that happens while he is a prior of Florence. There is a subplot involving the Vatican that seems to go nowhere, and of course the Templar's are involved in overall plot. The Dante character is well developed and the only reason to read this novel.
Yael Cornejo
Es una historia muy buena, la ficción en la historia le dan un giro interesante, aunque es bastante complicado seguir el ritmo de la lectura, necesitas darle más del 100% de concentración si quieres llegar al final con la certeza de que lo que crees que pasa esta pasando.
Heather
I only finished this book because it's the October book for my crimes and clues book club. Not my style of book. I don't know anything about this time period, so I didn't understand any of the references or anything that was going on.
Nicola
Viel zu bemüht, zu inkonsequent und alles in allem zu wenig Lesevergnügen. Gut, dass ich es nur geliehen hatte, sonst hätte ich mich geärgert, Geld dafür ausgegeben zu haben. Da hätte man mehr draus machen können.
Patricia
trama fraca e final mal resolvido.Dante é retratado como um tolo fútil e raivoso deixando ,constantemente a raiva sobrepor a razão , o que não é a atitude que se espera de um filósofo como é retratado no livro
May
I'm giving two stars for this book because I liked the parts about thr History, the murder, and the poet. But besides that, the book was really boring and couldn't get my attention at all.
Faiza
Really complex, extremely philosophical, sometimes there is action, sometimes mystery. Lots of Italian words. Written in an old style. Weird, challenging, but I liked it anyway.
Megan
Unfinished shelf
Completed - 39 pages

This is either very poorly written or very poorly translated. I don't know which, and I don't know which would be worse.
Stephen Cadywold
Maybe this book loses something in translation but it fails to live up to its initial promise. Zero suspense factor; quite frankly, tedious.
Ananda
I liked the beginning, but after 100 pages it got very boring. Too bad...the author just didn't manage to have my full attention:(
Donna
I just could not get into this story. I had a hard time keeping the characters and plot straight.
AJ Conroy
62 pages in and I don't care about any of the characters or what happens to them. Next!
James Piecowye
I am on page 21 and it has an interesting feel... love the history/mystery.
  • Mi piaci da morire
  • The Montmartre Investigation (Victor Legris, #3)
  • Un posto nel mondo
  • The Blackest Bird
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)
  • The Mosaic of Shadows
  • Imprimatur (Atto Melani, #1)
  • Fatal Lies (Liebermann Papers, #3)
  • Manituana
  • The Bellini Card (Yashim the Eunuch, #3)
  • Murder in Vegas: New Crime Tales of Gambling and Desperation
  • The Tarnished Chalice (Matthew Bartholomew, #12)
  • Brandenburg Gate
  • The Talisman of Troy
  • Unnatural Fire (Countess Ashby de La Zouche, #1)
  • The Seventh Sacrament (Nic Costa, #5)
  • The Crystal Skull
Giulio Leoni is a professor of Italian literature and history. He lives in Rome with his family.

Also known as J.P. Rylan, author of the fantasy series of Anharra.
More about Giulio Leoni...
The Kingdom of Light (Dante Alighieri, #3) La Crociata delle Tenebre (Dante Alighieri, #4) I delitti della Medusa (Dante Alighieri, #1) La regola delle ombre La sequenza mirabile