Start by marking “Over the Sea: CJ's First Notebook” as Want to Read:
Over the Sea: CJ's First Notebook

Over the Sea: CJ's First Notebook (CJ's Notebooks #1)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When Sherwood Smith was eight years old, a girl named Clair walked into her dreams, bringing hints of a world where girls could adventure, live on their own, and best of all, didn't have to grow up. Clair traveled about looking for girls who needed a home. She even came to Earth, where she found CJ, who did not fit. CJ found herself not only taken to another world to live, ...more
Published December 1st 2007 by YA Angst

To ask other readers questions about Over the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over the Sea

Lydia
CJ (not her original name, more on that later), is stuck in 1960's LA, and she hates it. She's not close to her family, doesn't like her school, doesn't have friends, doesn't like the weather or the climate; she just doesn't seem to fit. One night she dreams of a girl called Clair and the fabulous world she lives in and CJ wishes she could be there. Not to long after her dream, Clair appears in CJ's world, tells her a little about her own world (which is far from perfect, but does have magic) an ...more
Debbie
Like Senrid, I think this story will appeal more to tweens and teens than adults. The kid heroes deal with their problems in very kid ways. The characters found clever ways to beat back the bad guys without using deadly force, which was fun.

Incidentally, we learn in this book how to pronounce many of the unpronounceable names also used in Senrid, but I wouldn't say reading Over the Sea otherwise made understanding Senrid easier.

This book is less polished than Crown Duel, but the writing is good
Diana Murillo
Fun!

I'm a fan of Sherwood Smith's books and truly enjoyed reading these tales. I look forward to more adventures of girls who are more capable than they seem.
Becky B
Jan 07, 2013 Becky B rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Imaginative middle grade girls
I'm glad I read the intro and knew going into this that these were stories the author wrote when she was a girl. They are not as spectacular as many of her stories written as an adult, and are decidedly anti-adults (adults cannot be trusted to rule or for advice!), but mostly they are cute stories about a group of girls in an alternate world trying to maintain order in a magical kingdom without resorting to violence. It does sound like a world a kid growing up in LA frustrated with the adults an ...more
Melissa
I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to. It helped to start with the author's preface, where she explains that the book is based on stories she wrote as a child - brought back memories of all the daydreams I used to have.
Sherwood Smith
Jun 17, 2009 Sherwood Smith added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books
I wrote these stories when a kid. When I rewrote them, I tried hard to preserve that kid voice.
Brittney Bower
love stories like this were it takes you to a world far from earth.
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
The Dubious One
The Dubious One marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Efreak
Efreak marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Tema
Tema marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Sonja
Sonja marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Sarah is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
Miryam
Miryam marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Linda Todd
Linda Todd marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Teazia Cockburn
Teazia Cockburn marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Bethany Sherry
Bethany Sherry marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Gail
Gail added it
May 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I am a writer, but I'm here on Goodreads to talk about books, as I've been a passionate reader as long as I've been a writer--since early childhood.

I'm not going to rate books--there are too many variables. I'd rather talk about the reading experience. My 'reviews' of my books are confined to the writing process.

More about Sherwood Smith...

CJ's Notebooks (4 books)
  • Mearsies Heili Bounces Back: Cj's Second Notebook
  • Hunt Across Worlds
  • Poor World
Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2) Court Duel (Crown & Court, #2) Crown Duel (Crown & Court, #1) A Posse of Princesses Inda (Inda, #1)