Start by marking “I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux” as Want to Read:

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  512 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A personal retreat based on St. Therese of Lisieux. A wondrous distillation of the teachings of St. Therese of Lisieux on God's love and on confidence in Him; on humility, peace, and charity; on the Cross; and on abandonment to Providence. Learn to rest in God amid troubles, living joyfully with Him always.
Published July 1st 2001 by Sophia Institute Press (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about I Believe in Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Believe in Love

Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Confessions by Augustine of HippoDark Night of the Soul by John of the CrossJesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVI
Roman Catholic Reading
69th out of 292 books — 164 voters
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisCatechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxMere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Books for Catholics
117th out of 366 books — 115 voters

More lists with this book...

Michele
This book is truly inspiring - a must read!
Jeanette
Ahhh I finally finished this book! I've been reading it for a year now. It is SOOO good. I could reread it continuously and be enlightened every time. It took me a long time because it wasn't the kind of book that I wanted to read cover to cover and then move on from...I've been digesting it slowly. There is so much wisdom in it, I know I'll just have to keep rereading it to really let the lessons sink in.
Mark
What an encouraging book! This was another one of those cases where God seems to bring me to exactly the book I need at exactly the time I need it.
Mandy
There is so much to learn from St. Therese! I loved the reflections that the author wrote based on the life of this beloved saint. This is on my top ten favorite books list :)
Paul Burdett
This is an awesome book, it distills down her Little Way in such a humble digestible manner, loved it...
Hevel Cava
Quite excellent work and spiritual journey...
Adam
A friend loaned Fr. d'Elbee's treasure of a book to me as an introduction to the spirituality of St. Therese of Lisieux. This book presents ten retreat conferences based loosely on the spirituality of St. Therese of Lisieux, and to a lesser extent, of St. John Vianney, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, and St. Francis de Sales. Depending on your reading pace, each chapter / conference can be read in about 30 minutes to an hour with some care and reflection. I'd recommend reading one chapter at a time ...more
Kerri
The most life changing book ever read. Spirtual books, especially those which journey through a personal retreat, are often times too scary to pick up merely because they are feared uncomprehendable. This book is anything but. it is extremely easy to read, very inspirational, and an amazing and lovely take on the teachings of one of the most beautiful saints.
i recommend this book to anyone looking or searching for meaning or purpose. in a few short weeks of reading this i can honestly say i fel
Michelle
Totally worth the investment of time and money. Another book I've added to my must read again list, and it's pretty short! Jean C. J. d'Elbée does such a good job of taking St. Terese's writings and applying them in a practical manner. I greatly appreciate how he keeps reminding us that we have a human nature, feelings that come up, but it's how we respond that defines us.

Some beautiful quotes:

"But it is here that you must recall what I have already told you-that it is consent that makes the si
Catherine
This books brings you through a very interesting journey of your relationship with Christ. It is insightful, practical, very interesting on certain topics like abandonement, God's Mercy and Love. It is terribly easy to read and very applicable to everyday life. Defintely worth a read and as it says, it's worth reading in a couple of days like during a retreat. You get the most out of it that way.
dj
St. Therese, as always, in "I Believe In Love" puts into very simple words the most profound thoughts about God, about spirituality, about the importance of putting love first in our lives, even for those we disagree with, and especially or those who have harmed, or offended us in any way. One of the most simple, yet powerful, works of spiritual direction.
Emilia P
Read with Church Ladies. Moments of greatness, some of the individual chapters had great depths to plumb but overall it does not come together as a retreat for me. But perhaps it's about the feeling rather than the specifics. Also, there was not enough about actual St. Therese in it. Wah wah wah.
Leslie
My favorite all time spiritual book. It transformed St.Therese from a sweet saint for young girls to a power house of strength and courage. I was expecting at the time that I read it first and it so inspired me that I included Therese in the baby's name.
Katy
A deep, meaningful book on the love and mercy of Jesus. This is one to read many times, and to ponder carefully. It is thoroughly Catholic, but non-Catholics who admire the saints will still be inspired to contemplate and trust in His love.
Amy
So fantastic...one of my favorite books. It sat on my shelf for over a year, then picked it up just at the right time. It's one of those books you can just randomly open up and digest goodness. Changed my view of love and life.
Rachel
Aug 15, 2011 Rachel added it
Shelves: school-books
I'm just not going to rate this. I was forced to read it for school and then right a meditative paper on it. While I'm a big fan of St. Therese, I rebel against authority and thus detested reading this. I know, I'm a great person.
Ted Leon
I didn't expect much from this book since I find The Little Flower's spirituality overly sentimental. To my surprise it was absolutely beautiful. A book to be read and sampled on a regular basis.
Anne
This is one of my favorite spiritual reads. It's beautiful. Be warned that it will take you a long time to finish since you can sit for a long time with every single sentence.
Joey Sagel
The best book on the Little Flower aside from story of a soul (I've read several of them) A very consoling book. Another I will go back to again and again.
Jacqueline
May 01, 2007 Jacqueline rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YES
My favorite book of all time!!! If you haven't read it, you should...you won't regret it, it changed the way I thought about love.
Carlos
Beautifully written. If read with an open heart, this book will truly let you feel St. Therese's extraordinary love for God.
Kathryn
My friend who became a nun said I should read it. I only get to hear from her once a year. I tend to follow her advice.
Leon Jose
A great and powerful book. It was recommended to me by my best friend Dcn. McNulty. Thank you Lord for St. Therese
Lindsey
May 22, 2011 Lindsey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jackie Olsson
Shelves: catholic
I own this book and will definitely read it again. Very spiritually insightful!
Sarahehlert
Reading this book made me happy. What more can I say?
Troy Skwor

Great book, especially the first half
rebecca
just started it but it is amazing so far!
Mara
read and re-read this one, it is just great.
Colleenduggan
A must read. A spiritual classic.
Rachel
Great book to read on a retreat.
  • Interior Freedom
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • Fire Within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • Abandonment to Divine Providence
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • He Leadeth Me
  • Heaven's Song
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • The Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living
  • God Is Love--Deus Caritas Est: Encyclical Letter
  • Men, Women and the Mystery of Love: Practical Insights from John Paul II's Love and Responsibility
  • The Soul of The Apostolate
  • The Privilege of Being a Woman
  • The Hidden Power of Kindness: A Practical Handbook for Souls Who Dare to Transform the World, One Deed at a Time
  • The Way