Start by marking “Moonwise” as Want to Read:
Moonwise

Moonwise

Ariane came to visit Sylvie at midwinter, hoping to rekindle the old magic of their girlhood game: the Nine Worlds, a fantastical universe founded in a handful of marbles and a tarot of cards, whose myths and kingdoms the two friends had chronicled between them. But when Sylvie disappeared in a moonlit wood, Ariane followed her - not into the familiar ground of their fanta ...more
Published February 1st 1991 by ROC (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Moonwise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonwise

Genevieve
Sep 17, 2008 Genevieve rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Pamela Dean, Alan Garner, King Lear, The Winter's Tale, Gawain & the Green Knight
Recommended to Genevieve by: the internet
Shelves: fiction, sff, 2009-faves
A tangled wild wood of a book, written in a sort of low Jacobean style that I found mostly delightful but occasionally infuriating. It's a quest story, except not. Its magic is very much in touch with the seasons, the turning of the year; it builds a world in which the bones of myth jut up out of the earth, the one subtending the other. Also the first and probably the last book that I've read in which knowing the vocabulary of contra dancing came in handy. A wonderful book to dip into and savor ...more
Jen
Jan 15, 2014 Jen rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this gorgeous little book? This world contained within two, flimsy paperback pages? It’s stunning. There are, I’d imagine, a lot of folks who wouldn’t find it as endearing as I, that would find it tiresome and confusing. That’s fine. It’s not a book for everyone. It IS, however, a book for those who love exquisite world building and who love language. Correction: Gilman doesn’t build a world: it’s already there and she is simply its scribe. She uses words in their truest and ...more
Valissa
Nov 24, 2010 Valissa rated it liked it
"There is a type of young woman we have all either known or been; who worships at the alter of the Romantic; plays old border ballads on pennywhistle, recorder, or hammer dulcimer; tacks a hand-lettered sign reading MAGIC IS AFOOT on her dormitory room door; reads the Tarot for friends and The White Goddess for pleasure; and treasures a hundred obscure books by measure of how close they come to an ideal world in which gypsies and scarecrows, old marbles and long skirts, elves, quilts, candles, ...more
Allen Garvin
Probably the most poetic prose you'll ever encounter in a novel: this book is filled from beginning to end with delightful phrases, beautiful imagery, little bits of word play, achingly beautiful prose. The story echoes many traditional myths and folktales, and is engrossing in itself, but it's the fabulous writing that makes this one of the best fantasies ever written.
R. Izumi
I tried several times to get through this one but finally gave up. The author is a little too fond of arcane words and while having a good vocabulary is certainly desirable, hauling around a heavy unabridged dictionary is a lot of work for a paperback I was reading for "fun."
ribbonknight
May 06, 2017 ribbonknight rated it liked it
I have a hard time rating this. Individual sentences were beautiful, and by this I mean all of them and not just some of them.
I had a difficult time following most of the time, though. Second-guessing whether what I was reading was a metaphor, or meant to be taken literally? Or both?
This book references more things than I have read, so my inability to catch some of the references didn't help me, either.
A beautiful, frustrating book.
It is also possible that I couldn't follow because I was reading
Stef
I feel like I need to preface this review: if you are a hardcore fantasy fan this might be something you should struggle through for the few moments of clarity and true fantasy. In my experience this is a seminal piece of fantasy writing, but its not an easy read by any means.

I had incredibly hard time reading this book because while the language was beautiful and Shakespearean, it was very difficult to parse out what was actually being said due to the use of rural speech patterns and old Englis
Rena McGee
May 19, 2013 Rena McGee rated it did not like it
This is not a book review. It is not even the opposite of a book review. It is a sideways book review that takes a trip into the unknown lands of Faery, but not too far in because the reader is unable to figure out what the heck is going on, but the words look pretty so she keeps trying to delve deeper into the book. Unfortunately, she is soon brought up short by not being able to follow what the heck is going on, because the prose is not only purple, its purple in a completely different languag ...more
Katherine Harbour
Jun 12, 2013 Katherine Harbour rated it it was amazing
This lyrically written book is presumably set in modern Britain, but the language used to tell the story is old and fey. When young and practical Ariane comes to visit her best friend, Sylvie, in a house in the woods, Sylvie is lured away into a dark otherworld of witches and tricksters. There are stories woven throughout, which Ariane uses as a sort of map to find her friend. It's the language here that makes this book stand out, because it defines the world and the story you soon become lost i ...more
Yoon
Jun 30, 2007 Yoon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff
This is thin on plot--a mysterious man, two women and their fantasy world Cloud, and something of quests--but oh, how the language is rich. Unfortunately, it also contains a lot of dialect or archaic vocabulary that I never did manage to find in the dictionaries I had at home, so it's entirely possible I missed out on whole swaths of the action. Not something I'd recommend for everyone, but if you like the first chapter, definitely give it a go.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Seems a bit like Lud-in-the-Mist, with slightly more obscure language. (I consider myself an extremely experienced end user of English but there were a couple words I had to look up because I couldn't completely infer their meaning from context ... this doesn't happen to me very much.) Seems intriguing, but my hands are just too full right now.
Jun 25, 2008 Laura marked it as never-finished
There should be a category for "about to give up on" under the "currently reading" heading. I'm finding it pretty much unreadable. I like the author personally and have always found her witty and interesting. I read her LJ posts (see nineweaving). I have been trying to drag myself through this book and just can't.
Nancy
Sep 19, 2008 Nancy rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book but hardly anyone I know did. It's a verbally beautiful book that I think you have to read a few times. For one thing the book spirals into the story so as you go inward - it becomes clearer and you understand the journey the two women take. The dialect Gilman uses often puts people off I think. But I read it over and over for the words and the invented mythologies.
Jessalina
Feb 08, 2010 Jessalina rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-give-up
I'm not a poetic person, so all of this just annoyed me. Also here I was thinking I had a pretty decent vocabulary, yet I needed to find a dictionary to help me more than once for each page. The book sounds interesting and I wish I could finish it and find out what happens, but I just couldn't get into it, oh well.
Ruhegeist
Oct 19, 2008 Ruhegeist rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
felt the need for a dictionary about every other sentence. got rather lost in the plot and wondering exactly what was going on. difficult to slog through. kept the book with the intention to reread and hopefully make sense of it one day.
Kelly
Sep 03, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it
I remember this one. The writing is poetic and the idea a good one, but the language is too dense in places and impedes the flow of the story. I ought to read it again sometime; it's been many years and my opinion may change.
Sherwood Smith
Jun 11, 2009 Sherwood Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book caught my eye when it first came out. At times it was a struggle to read, not because the prose is awkward (far from it!) or difficult (which it is) but because the tone tended to sustain itself. Gilman's abilities have soared far beyond.
Lily C
Aug 23, 2013 Lily C rated it it was ok
I found that the words hid the story.
Heather
Dec 20, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it
More like failed to read. Twice. Could not get past the first 30 pages. Too much effusive description before you know anything about the characters.
Peggy
May 26, 2010 Peggy rated it it was amazing
I re-read this book every Autumn. I love the rhythm of her prose. Had a hard time when I first started reading it until I started reading it out loud. Beautiful book!
Sue Craig
Sue Craig rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2012
Alethea
Alethea rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2015
Cara
Cara rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Sara Graves
Sara Graves rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2017
Kittay
Kittay rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2014
Paul Saarma
Paul Saarma rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2017
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2013
Trish
Trish rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Reading Greer Gilman: Moonwise 24 16 Aug 02, 2012 08:54PM
  • Map of Dreams
  • Teot's War (The Song of Naga Teot, #1)
  • The Dubious Hills
  • The Porcelain Dove
  • Glimmering
  • Fudoki (Love/War/Death, #2)
  • The Broken Citadel
  • Gate of Darkness, Circle of Light
  • Song for the Basilisk
  • Zimiamvia: A Trilogy
  • The Tricksters
  • Prince of the Godborn: Seven Citadels Part One (Seven Citadels, #1)
  • The Labyrinth
  • Return
  • Strange Devices of the Sun and Moon
  • The Door to Lost Pages
  • The Innamorati
  • Kingdoms of Elfin
Greer Gilman has been writing stories set in Cloud, her Northern mythscape, for a quarter of a century. Her love of British lore and landscape, of its rituals and ballads, is a constant in her work; her love of language at its roots. Her books are written for the ear, as much as for the understanding. Like the earliest stories, they are meant to be sung.

Greer Ilene Gilman was educated at Wellesley
More about Greer Gilman...