Start by marking “Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)” as Want to Read:
Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #5)

Adventure According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #5)

The students in Room 26 are learning about boats and building their own for a race on Potter's Pond. Humphrey the hamster loves dreaming about being a pirate and watching his friends build ships. But when he mistakenly ends up at sea on the day of the boat race, he finds himself in the middle of more adventure than he bargained for! Humphrey is back in this charming story ...more
Published February 21st 2008 by Faber and Faber

To ask other readers questions about Adventure According to Humphrey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventure According to Humphrey

Oct 30, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Humphrey was the pet hamster in his class.His class was learning about boats and were going to have a field trip to a pond and see if there boats float. Kirk and Richie were paired together and they had hard time working together. They put Humphrey in great danger.Does Humphrey survive the adventure?
I like this book because its easy but i love how they get into Humphrey's mind and tell you what he is thinking.I would not just recommend this book to 1 person i would recommend this to people that
Beverly
Mar 15, 2009 Beverly rated it it was amazing
As with the other books in the series, this was a delightful read. Read this series and you'll look at your hamster in a whole new light. Humphrey is a great character. He cares about his human classmates. He wants to help them through their troubles and trials. Kids will identify with his eagerness to have adventures, try new things and also with his fears. If you are looking for books to help with character education, this is a good series. Humphrey gets the messages across without being preac ...more
Sarah Beneke
May 04, 2015 Sarah Beneke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jake
The Humphrey books are so great - my son and I have a hard time picking our favorite so far! This one was just what the title indicates--one adventure after another. There are many pirate references which add another element of fun. Humphrey doesn't disappoint!
Regemma Mismawn
good 3 star rating
Hiba
Jul 05, 2012 Hiba rated it liked it
I thought book had a very nice ending, all though there was not that much adventure in it. The book had an interesting ending, but not man ytwists. I still enjoyed a book from an animals perspective.
Dolly
Nov 20, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is another fun story in the Humprhey series by Betty G. Birney. I introduced my oldest to these books when I brought the first one home from England as a present. She has really taken to these books and I am so grateful, since she's read virtually nothing but fairy books for the last two years. We both read these books separately and then discuss the plots and themes. These books involve a class of third graders and the stories have a lot of moral lessons that are very age appropriate for c ...more
Heather
Mar 07, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Humphrey is a very funny hamster who lives in a school classroom and can't wait for adventures. He visits the homes of various students in his class, and even explores the school (Humphrey can open the lid of his home).

The kids were likable and realistic. This felt a bit more relevant than the "Mouse and the Motorcycle" even though I love that book too.

I listened to this on my phone, borrowed from Overdrive.
Megan
Jan 15, 2012 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is from the Humphrey series. Humphrey is a classroom hamster in room 26. It is very funny, and told from Humphrey's point of view. It allows us to experience what life is like for a pet, and what goes on when we (the owners) are not around. It is a story that all grades would enjoy read-aloud! It could especially be used to acompany a unit on boats or pirates. It even has pirate information, phrases, and ways to make a boat at the end of the book.
Eliza Snow
Mar 30, 2015 Eliza Snow rated it it was amazing
I forgot to mark this as read. I have been breezing through this cute series! Humphrey is so adorable with his sense of adventure but then his inhibition in staying safe as a hamster. The little dear!
Gabriel
Mar 14, 2012 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
The setting is a school. The main character is Humphrey. Humphrey is a hamster. He kept sneaking to the library. He wanted to go on a boat race. The boat he was on sunk. He made it to the shore safely. Mr. Fitch, the librarian, gave Humphrey a library card.
Nick
Jan 23, 2014 Nick rated it it was amazing
three words: shimber me timbers !!!!
Miriam
Oct 19, 2014 Miriam rated it it was amazing
Love reading these books to my boys! Cute stories with a lesson.
Maximilian Lee
May 21, 2017 Maximilian Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irene
Sep 17, 2014 Irene rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Elementary School Kids
Shelves: children
My 6-year-old boy for sure would give this book 5 stars, just like all the others!

Humphrey continues to be an entertaining character, and in this book, he certainly did get himself into some adventurous exploits. As usual, he's able to assist a few of his student friends and help them through their troubles.

For me, this installment fell short of a potential 4-star rating because I thought Humphrey acted out of character in a couple ways. First, even though Mrs. Brisbane actually explained why
Elaine
Aug 31, 2013 Elaine rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I liked this one, but on goodreads, liking it is 3 stars, which I think in other rating systems, 3 stars is "ok". I didn't love this one, and it wasn't a "can't wait to find out what happens next" book, like some of the others were, but it was likable enough. This one has a pirate/sailing theme, kinda cute. The problems between people that were solved weren't that deep though. They were more subtle than the previous books, which might be a good lesson itself-that problems aren't always obvious o ...more
Sophie Muller
Nov 14, 2016 Sophie Muller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-literature
It's the first time I don't rate a book from this series with a 5 stars. I was a bit disturbed by Humphrey's whining about not being able to join the students for the boat race, but besides this, the book was delightful. I especially liked the jokes based on wordplay, and the difficult relationships between classmates (the desire to win the race takes over letting a friend be involved in the project) and mother and daughter (the mother is pushing for changes and being critical of her daughter's ...more
Bess
Feb 21, 2014 Bess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember when I read the first Humphrey book in fourth grade! I read all of them at the library until this one! I had seen the picture in the back of the one right before this one, and I asked the librarian if they could please purchase one for me! I cried so hard on the way home from the library that my mom went and ordered the book from Amazon right when we got home, she felt so bad for me! But this series was one of my favorites that I read in my elementary school days!
Shannon
08/11: David: Humphrey started off with Mrs. Mac, but then she made him the school hamster. He has been having lots of adventures, but this one may be my favorite. The school is having a boat contest, and is going to go to Potter's Pond for a race. Whichever boat wins gets a prize. Not only that, there was a treasure chest, and inside was candy, and there were special guests, and one of them was Mrs. Mac! Humphrey was so excited! I am sure you will like this story too.
elliereads
Aug 13, 2016 elliereads rated it really liked it
I read this book two person literature circle style with a summer tutoring student. Even though we ran out of summer, we both wanted to finish this book.

There are a lot of characters to keep straight, so as we read together, we kept a log so the names didn't get too confusing.

The Humphrey series is good for 4th and 5th graders. His perspective on the world makes us see things a little differently.

Juliette
Oct 01, 2013 Juliette rated it liked it
Continuing the series with my son who is now 7.
He loved it. And really that's who matters, he's the audience. If you're a fan of Humphrey, this is a fun addition. I did not enjoy it as well as the first four. This one just didn't have as many life lessons as they did. If you're starting with this one, you really must read at least #1 before you can judge the series.
Mary
Apr 13, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
A cute book for 3rd or 4th graders. Humphrey is the class hamster who is an expert on human relations, and is able to read, write and get out of his cage at will. In this episode the class is build boats to take to a pond and sail. Humphrey wants to go, but the teacher says that hamster can die from getting wet and cold.
Jul 12, 2010 Jennifer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Humphrey series could have been really cute and wonderful, but I felt Humphrey's voice was generic and a bit flat. Would be interesting to see how I'd feel if I read it as a school kid, but as it stands, I'm not going to pick up another of the series.
Haghvray0
Sep 28, 2011 Haghvray0 rated it really liked it
I think this is an "okay" book. I just wish Mrs. Brisbane would stop blaming her students for everything. Though, nobody would never know Humphrey was the one who wanted to go sailing on Potter's pond. I hope Humphrey dosen't do that again.
Julie
Apr 08, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
For all of you who love Ralph. S. Mouse and other adorable furry, people-loving creatures, Humphrey is your guy. Not necessary to read these in order, but my guess is that kids that love one will want to read them all.
Bridget
May 20, 2011 Bridget rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Cute story. I can see why the series is popular with our second and third graders. Might have to try out some more.
Katie
Jan 20, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids
A cute story about a classroom hampster. Not exciting but it may find a niche in the third-fourth grade easy reader section.

Oct 20, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
The Humphrey books are getting a little predictable for me, but the kids love them and want me to read more.
Shawna
Feb 07, 2010 Shawna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-m-and-a
My girls love these books. I keep trying to call our own hamster Humphrey instead of Honey while reading these books.
Rebecca
Sep 07, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Humphrey the hamster likes to repeat words in threes. "Happy, happy happy". All I can think of it Phil Robertson from Duck Dynasty. LOL.
  • Andrew Lost In the Kitchen (Andrew Lost, #3)
  • The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1)
  • Screaming Mummies of the Pharaoh's Tomb II (Tales from the House of Bunnicula, #4)
  • Pugsley (The Puppy Place, #9)
  • My Dog's a Scaredy-Cat: A Halloween Tail
  • A Very Babymouse Christmas (Babymouse, #15)
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • Ghosts and Gadgets (The Raven Mysteries #2)
  • The Reading Race (Ready, Freddy! #27)
  • February Friend (Calendar Mysteries, #2)
  • Grace Stirs it Up
  • Children of the Longhouse
  • Guinea Dog 2 (Guinea Dog, #2)
  • Buddy (Dog Diaries #2)
  • The Mystery at the Fair (Boxcar Children Mystery & Activities Specials #6) (Boxcar Children Special)
  • The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures #2)
119740

From kindergarten through graduation, I attended school in Affton, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. Then I graduated from Webster College (now Webster University) in Webster Groves, Missouri. Of course, I majored in English and kept on writing.

After working in advertising in St. Louis, Missouri and in Chicago, Illinois, I eventually moved to Southern California. First, I worked for Disneyland (fun
More about Betty G. Birney...

According to Humphrey (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The World According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #1)
  • Friendship According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #2)
  • Trouble According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #3)
  • Surprises According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #4)
  • Summer According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #6)
  • School Days According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #7)
  • Mysteries According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #8)
  • Winter According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #9)
  • Secrets According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey, #10)
  • Imagination According to Humphrey (According to Humphrey #11)

“To the dock!” Kirk replied with a big laugh. “Get it? To the doc!” 0 likes