A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty, #3)

A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty #3)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,235 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Romantic adventure from a best-selling author, set in turn-of-the century Philadelphia; can love grow in the presence of danger? Ladies of Liberty book 3.
Paperback, Large Print, 430 pages
Published August 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Lady of Secret Devotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lady of Secret Devotion

Nicole
Aug 05, 2014 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature readers for adult-themed peril/threats
Shelves: favorites
Wow. This was definitely my favorite in the Ladies of Liberty series! With the perfect amount of intrigue, romance, faith, and suspense, it quickly became a page-turner that I couldn't put down. I loved how the author actually came through with having the characters address the issues of their faith (or lack thereof), and was delighted when a twist in the story came unexpectedly (and with crucial timing!). I was glad that the plot did not drag where one might expect it to, and that the end wrapp...more
Margaret
Jul 15, 2010 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Historical Fiction
Recommended to Margaret by: Amy Kittel
Another work of poetry in the form of prose from beloved author Tracie Peterson. In this story there were bits that dragged for me a little bit, but I absolutely love the story overall. This is the third book in the Ladies of Liberty series, yet all the stories stand alone with unconnected characters.

Years ago, when I first read the Yukon Quest 3-in-1 I was shocked at how vividly Tracie could present a villain and at how I could really feel a strong animosity toward a fictitious character. Well,...more
Sally
I have no idea why this book has such a high rating. This is almost impossible to read without feeling like it's a conversation between robots, or a first attempt novel!

The conversation is completely stilted between the main characters. Here is a sample: "...I've been here about two weeks."
"And do you find it to your liking?" He reached up and stroked his horse casually.
"I do. Well, I did until her son came back to stay. He was injured, though, and there was no putting him from the house. He's
Kellie
This author is from Montana and I think at one time she was coming to our local library, so I thought I'd listen to one of her books. It was a cute, classic, predictable theme with a love story. I enjoyed it - a little cheesy in some spots, but fun. I listened to it and didn't care a ton for the readers voices - I'd suggest reading it!
Monkeyface
A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty #3)by Tracie Peterson.
Cassandra Stover can't believe her luck when she becomes the companion to Mrs. Jameston, a wealthy society woman. Not only can she help her widowed mother and sister, but Cassie genuinely comes to care for the elderly woman who treats her like family. Enter Mark Langford, an insurance investigator, and everything changes for her. When Mark reveals that he is investigating Sebastian Jameston, the son of Cassandra's employer, she...more
Tamara
In A LADY OF SECRET DEVOTION by Tracie Peterson, the last in the Ladies of Liberty series, we meet Cassandra Stover. The financial stress she, her mother, and young sister has felt after the death of her father has weighed heavy on Cassie. A chance meeting in a park becomes an answered prayer when Mrs. Jameston hires Cassie as her companion. A life of opulence and luxury and the growing bond Cassie feels for Mrs. Jameston is soon tarnished when Sebastian, Mrs. Jameston’s derelict son comes home...more
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
Novels that have the hero and heroine "dating" under false pretenses are fairly common, but this one stands out from the crowd for two reasons: It takes place in the 19th century (whereas most often times this plot plays out in modern novels), and the relationship pretense is actually part of an elaborate scheme to take down a criminal.

I quite enjoyed Cassie's character; her responses to the circumstances around her are genuine and realistic. It's interesting to see her reactions to suddenly bei...more
AbbyJoy
A Lady of Secret Devotion has jumped up to be one of my favorite books. If you like historical fiction and romance, I'm sure you'll love it, too. Plus, there's a devious employer's son whose always up to no good - what's not to love?

I'm rather notorious for readings books in the middle of a series that I've never touched, so you can trust me when I say that this book can stand on its own two feet (if books had feet...). This is the 3rd book in the series Ladies of Liberty, but the first book I...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
The third book in the Ladies of Liberty series by Tracie Peterson. Each book stands alone. Set in 19th century Philadelphia, Cassie Stover is hired to be a companion to Mrs. Jameston, a very wealthy, elderly woman. Cassie's father was killed when she was a teenager so she and her mother have always worked to provide for themselves and her younger sister. Living with Mrs. Jameston brings Cassie into a world she could have imagined.

When Mrs. Jameston's wayward and ruthless son, Sebastian, returns...more
Michelle
A Lady Of Secret Devotion
Tracie Peterson
Historical Romance
367 pages
copyright: 2008
isbn: 978-0-7642-0147-9

Eager to ease the financial burden of her family, Cassandra Stover is thrilled when she is hired to be a companion to Mrs. Jameston, a wealthy society woman. Cassie finds herself living a life she'd never imagined--and growing close to the elderly woman who treats her like a daughter.

Her new position is tarnished only by Mrs. Jameston's son. As Sebastian's resentment and cruelty toward his mo...more
Shantelle Mary
Previous to reading the Ladies of Liberty series, the books I’d read by Tracie Peterson were also by Judith Miller. I did enjoy those. But when I picked up the first book in Ladies of Liberty series, it was like… wow! –A whole different style! …Fresh and fun, with romance and an interesting plot. These books were great! A Lady of High Regard is about Mia and her writing and heart for the downtrodden. A Lady of Hidden Intent is of Catherine who is forced to leave her luxurious home for a life of...more
Ambrosia Jefferson
While I enjoyed this story as I have pretty much enjoyed the rest of the series, this was not my favorite of the set. Cassie is an interesting character and her eventual match as historical fictions go is also a character that draws you in. I am not sure why I could not fully click with this one maybe it is the time of year. Overall however it is a light, nice historical fiction read that has Christian themes but does not cram them down your throat. The theme works well within the period of the...more
Stacy
I checked this book out of my local library, it was the only one of the three in this series that they had (this is number 3 in the Ladies of Liberty series by Tracie Peterson). I don't think these need to be read in order; I think they stand fairly well on their own. This book is Christian historical fiction, a genre I generally like. This story follows Cassandra (or Cassie) Stover, as she becomes a companion to an elderly, wealthy widow in 1800's Philadelphia. There's some intrigue in the book...more
Mandy Spigle
Tracie Peterson is one of my favorite authors and this series doesn't disappoint - especially since my mom was able to snag the author's signature on each one! Aside from the autograph, Tracie depicts a whole time-line of characters through the books to teach lessons from life. Her sense of what a woman needs to hear about trusting God and being a virtuous lady is uncanny and she delivers in a completely unpretentious way. I highly recommend.
Cari
I see that I'm the only one who has rated this 1 star. I couldn't get into the book. By the first chapter I was rolling my eyes. I found the dialogue to be very cheesy and awkward, the characters rather boring, and the pacing strange. I ended up just skimming most of this and then reading the last few pages, as I like to know how a story ends. I have enjoyed books by Tracie Peterson in the past, but this just wasn't one of them.
Carolyn
Carolyn
I listened to the audio version, the only thing I didn't like about it was that the narrator gave Mark a New York accent when he was from Boston, though I'm not sure how accurate it was to give him an accent at all given that the country hadn't been founded for very long and immigration wasn't at it's peak til 100 years later. Over all though, I enjoyed it - Tracie Peterson is a fabulous author!
Meadow
This had a very good story line. Cassie works for a lady who has a terrible son, he murders, steals and lies to cover it up. When Cassie discovers poison being given to her mother...she can only suspect one person. With the help of the man of her dreams, she will overcome and make sure Sebastian is put in jail for life.

Great book in series, a little more romance then the others.
Chrystal
I enjoy settings in this time period. I like imagining living in a time where manners and reputation are important. But, the romance of this story was a little too mushy for me. I appreciated the clear lines of good and evil, light and dark, but it definitely requires the reader to suspend reality as nothing is so clear-cut in real life.
Shellsea
Jul 07, 2013 Shellsea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It has a little bit of all that you want in a novel. Why one less star? The romance was there but it felt slightly superficial. And they could have used the villain's personality better by making him clash with the heroine a little bit more. But I liked this book.
Rachel
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the others in the series. Also the train thing at the end...it felt a bit manufactured. I understand it but it just was unreal. But I did enjoy this book the main character was refreshing to me (and apparently to the other characters).
Erin
Harmless and more entertaining than the other two books in this series. The writing isn't breathtaking and the plot is predictable, but it's a decent read. My biggest complaint with all the books I've read from this author is that the main character is too good to be true.
Rebecca
I normally enjoy Tracie Peterson, but this book was a fail for me. I felt it was a redundant storyline with a few chunks of variety tossed in to make it different. Perhaps it would have been better as a novela. I enjoyed the story just not the repetition.
Jen
I enjoyed it. I find it sad that a child would hate a parent so much, that they would try to kill them. Yet I always find it interesting, that one can find love from someone who's not their's and gain joy, love, and compassion. Things we all can use and need.
Trina
I mostly liked this book for the characters. I'd like to think that people can simply care about others like she does. She is also very greatful for the simple things in life. The male lead is also a very admirable character. Predictable story but fun to follow.
Christine
I hate it when my boss' son turns out to be an idiot who mistreats his mother and acts like a moron....BUT...Cassie shows you how to be the better 'man' and do what is right because in the end she will "rise above." Yes, it's fiction, but a little far out there.
Danica Page (One Page at a Time)
While I did enjoy this book, it was probably my least favorite book in this series. I liked Cassandra and Mark, just not much as I liked the others. This was an enjoyable series to read. I recommend it to anybody who likes christian historical fiction.
Cynthia
I loved this book! Actually it took me the first three or four chapters to get into the book, but after that it was great. I think it is the best of the three books in this series. I hope she writes another one just as good:)
Megan
I didn't realize this was "inspirational" when I got it from the library. The inspirational part was actually done rather well, not unnatural at all. This book was fine; it was just to simple to be really good.
Translation into Spanish 1 2 Jul 01, 2014 07:28PM
  • Whirlwind (Only in Gooding, #3)
  • The Carousel Painter
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Head in the Clouds
  • Within My Heart (Timber Ridge Reflections, #3)
  • The Lightkeeper's Bride (Mercy Falls, #2)
  • Amethyst (Dakotah Treasures, #4)
  • A Great Catch (Lake Manawa Summers, #2)
  • Beguiled
  • A Heart Most Worthy
  • The Pursuit (The English Garden #4)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1) A Daughter's Inheritance (The Broadmoor Legacy, #1) Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1) Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1) Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)

“Perhaps this is what it was all about. Leaning on God when life made no sense, as well as when the answers seem clear.” 45 likes