Start by marking “A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty, #3)

A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty #3)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  1,777 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Eager to ease the financial burdens of her family, Cassandra Stover is thrilled when she is hired to be a companion to Mrs Jameston, a wealthy society woman. Her new position is tarnished only be Mrs Jameston's son. Cassie is soon concerned for the safety of her employer, and herself.
Paperback, Large Print, 430 pages
Published August 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Lady of Secret Devotion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lady of Secret Devotion

Sally
Apr 15, 2014 Sally rated it did not like it
I have no idea why this book has such a high rating. This is almost impossible to read without feeling like it's a conversation between robots, or a first attempt novel!

The conversation is completely stilted between the main characters. Here is a sample: "...I've been here about two weeks."
"And do you find it to your liking?" He reached up and stroked his horse casually.
"I do. Well, I did until her son came back to stay. He was injured, though, and there was no putting him from the house. He's
Nicole
May 16, 2012 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature readers for adult-themed peril/threats
Shelves: favorites
Wow. This was definitely my favorite in the Ladies of Liberty series! With the perfect amount of intrigue, romance, faith, and suspense, it quickly became a page-turner that I couldn't put down. I loved how the author actually came through with having the characters address the issues of their faith (or lack thereof), and was delighted when a twist in the story came unexpectedly (and with crucial timing!). I was glad that the plot did not drag where one might expect it to, and that the end wrapp ...more
Loraine
SUMMARY: Eager to ease the financial burdens of her family, Cassandra Stover is thrilled when she is hired to be a companion to Mrs. Jameston, a wealthy society woman. Cassie finds herself living a life she'd never imagined-and growing close to the elderly woman who treats her like a daughter.

Her new position is tarnished only by Mrs. Jameston's son. As Sebastian's resentment and cruelty toward his mother mount, Cassie begins to harbor concerns for her employer's safety--and ultimately her own.
Margaret Chind
Mar 19, 2008 Margaret Chind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian Historical Fiction
Recommended to Margaret by: Amy Kittel
Another work of poetry in the form of prose from beloved author Tracie Peterson. In this story there were bits that dragged for me a little bit, but I absolutely love the story overall. This is the third book in the Ladies of Liberty series, yet all the stories stand alone with unconnected characters.

Years ago, when I first read the Yukon Quest 3-in-1 I was shocked at how vividly Tracie could present a villain and at how I could really feel a strong animosity toward a fictitious character. Well,
Kellie
Jan 14, 2009 Kellie rated it really liked it
This author is from Montana and I think at one time she was coming to our local library, so I thought I'd listen to one of her books. It was a cute, classic, predictable theme with a love story. I enjoyed it - a little cheesy in some spots, but fun. I listened to it and didn't care a ton for the readers voices - I'd suggest reading it!
Becky
Jul 17, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Very good from the beginning to the end.. I had a hard time putting it down. Very well written and loved the message.
AbbyJoy
Dec 21, 2011 AbbyJoy rated it it was amazing
A Lady of Secret Devotion has jumped up to be one of my favorite books. If you like historical fiction and romance, I'm sure you'll love it, too. Plus, there's a devious employer's son whose always up to no good - what's not to love?

I'm rather notorious for readings books in the middle of a series that I've never touched, so you can trust me when I say that this book can stand on its own two feet (if books had feet...). This is the 3rd book in the series Ladies of Liberty, but the first book I
Valerie (Val's Vicinity)
Apr 03, 2013 Valerie (Val's Vicinity) rated it it was amazing
Novels that have the hero and heroine "dating" under false pretenses are fairly common, but this one stands out from the crowd for two reasons: It takes place in the 19th century (whereas most often times this plot plays out in modern novels), and the relationship pretense is actually part of an elaborate scheme to take down a criminal.

I quite enjoyed Cassie's character; her responses to the circumstances around her are genuine and realistic. It's interesting to see her reactions to suddenly bei
Tamara Tilley
Apr 26, 2011 Tamara Tilley rated it really liked it
Shelves: tracie-peterson, own
In A LADY OF SECRET DEVOTION by Tracie Peterson, the last in the Ladies of Liberty series, we meet Cassandra Stover. The financial stress she, her mother, and young sister has felt after the death of her father has weighed heavy on Cassie. A chance meeting in a park becomes an answered prayer when Mrs. Jameston hires Cassie as her companion. A life of opulence and luxury and the growing bond Cassie feels for Mrs. Jameston is soon tarnished when Sebastian, Mrs. Jameston’s derelict son comes home ...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
The third book in the Ladies of Liberty series by Tracie Peterson. Each book stands alone. Set in 19th century Philadelphia, Cassie Stover is hired to be a companion to Mrs. Jameston, a very wealthy, elderly woman. Cassie's father was killed when she was a teenager so she and her mother have always worked to provide for themselves and her younger sister. Living with Mrs. Jameston brings Cassie into a world she could have imagined.

When Mrs. Jameston's wayward and ruthless son, Sebastian, returns
Monkeyface
May 17, 2014 Monkeyface rated it really liked it
A Lady of Secret Devotion (Ladies of Liberty #3)by Tracie Peterson.
Cassandra Stover can't believe her luck when she becomes the companion to Mrs. Jameston, a wealthy society woman. Not only can she help her widowed mother and sister, but Cassie genuinely comes to care for the elderly woman who treats her like family. Enter Mark Langford, an insurance investigator, and everything changes for her. When Mark reveals that he is investigating Sebastian Jameston, the son of Cassandra's employer, she
Shantelle
Previous to reading the Ladies of Liberty series, the books I’d read by Tracie Peterson were also by Judith Miller. I did enjoy those. But when I picked up the first book in Ladies of Liberty series, it was like… wow! –A whole different style! …Fresh and fun, with romance and an interesting plot. These books were great!

A Lady of High Regard is about Mia and her writing and heart for the downtrodden. A Lady of Hidden Intent is of Catherine who is forced to leave her luxurious home for a life of
Michelle
Mar 12, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
A Lady Of Secret Devotion
Tracie Peterson
Historical Romance
367 pages
copyright: 2008
isbn: 978-0-7642-0147-9

Eager to ease the financial burden of her family, Cassandra Stover is thrilled when she is hired to be a companion to Mrs. Jameston, a wealthy society woman. Cassie finds herself living a life she'd never imagined--and growing close to the elderly woman who treats her like a daughter.

Barbara
It is almost inconceivable to me that anyone could be bored with this book if they like Christian historical fiction at all. There is so much action going on throughout, and there is such a contrast between good and evil in the plot. The main characters, Cassandra and Mark, are very interesting people, and I wanted both of them to succeed. The only drawback for me was that Cassandra would be so willing to give so much information to a virtual stranger so quickly. It almost made some of their fir ...more
Ambrosia Sullivan
Oct 09, 2013 Ambrosia Sullivan rated it liked it
While I enjoyed this story as I have pretty much enjoyed the rest of the series, this was not my favorite of the set. Cassie is an interesting character and her eventual match as historical fictions go is also a character that draws you in. I am not sure why I could not fully click with this one maybe it is the time of year. Overall however it is a light, nice historical fiction read that has Christian themes but does not cram them down your throat. The theme works well within the period of the ...more
Stacy
May 17, 2009 Stacy rated it liked it
I checked this book out of my local library, it was the only one of the three in this series that they had (this is number 3 in the Ladies of Liberty series by Tracie Peterson). I don't think these need to be read in order; I think they stand fairly well on their own. This book is Christian historical fiction, a genre I generally like. This story follows Cassandra (or Cassie) Stover, as she becomes a companion to an elderly, wealthy widow in 1800's Philadelphia. There's some intrigue in the book ...more
Aspen
Jan 11, 2015 Aspen rated it really liked it
I really didn't know how to rate this book. In one way, I loved it. But then again, I hated a lot of things in it.
Things I didn't like:
Sebastian was way too seductive! The author could have made her point without bringing it up so much! I very well understood it by the first couple of offenses.
I suppose this was the only thing I didn't like. It was brought up so much I wanted to skip those parts. It was very mild the way she put it but the point was clear.

Things I did like:
The characters wer
Beth Pearson
Jun 05, 2016 Beth Pearson rated it really liked it
It took me a bit to get into this book because it seemed so readily apparent what was going to happen. I was annoyed at how transparent the situation was. The discussions of God and his goodness seemed a bit contrived also. I kept reading though, and enjoyed the book more and more. The characters had some interest, I liked the historical setting of Philadelphia in the 1850's, and there were some surprises. If you like fluffy Christian romance, this could be enjoyable.
Melissa
Debated between 2 and 3 stars. This was okay for me. It may be that I just didn't like the audiobook narrator, but the women in this story seemed extremely naive. The story also seemed a little too melodramatic and not very realistic. The hero completely relied on the heroine to bring in the bad guy while it seemed he did very little to bring the guy down. I really like Tracie Peterson, but this book just wasn't my favorite.
Carolyn
Mandy Spigle
Dec 17, 2010 Mandy Spigle rated it it was amazing
Tracie Peterson is one of my favorite authors and this series doesn't disappoint - especially since my mom was able to snag the author's signature on each one! Aside from the autograph, Tracie depicts a whole time-line of characters through the books to teach lessons from life. Her sense of what a woman needs to hear about trusting God and being a virtuous lady is uncanny and she delivers in a completely unpretentious way. I highly recommend.
Carolyn
Feb 10, 2013 Carolyn rated it really liked it
I listened to the audio version, the only thing I didn't like about it was that the narrator gave Mark a New York accent when he was from Boston, though I'm not sure how accurate it was to give him an accent at all given that the country hadn't been founded for very long and immigration wasn't at it's peak til 100 years later. Over all though, I enjoyed it - Tracie Peterson is a fabulous author!
Candace
Jun 09, 2012 Candace rated it really liked it
This book was fantastic. I was surprised because the villain was truly an evil person. However, Tracie Peterson did a fantastic job of explaining why he was that way. I feel like the danger was upped in this book more so in the others and it made for an exciting read. I liked the characters and the romance was great. Big thumbs to Peterson
Chrystal
I enjoy settings in this time period. I like imagining living in a time where manners and reputation are important. But, the romance of this story was a little too mushy for me. I appreciated the clear lines of good and evil, light and dark, but it definitely requires the reader to suspend reality as nothing is so clear-cut in real life.
Keely
Oct 01, 2015 Keely rated it it was amazing
I truthfully enjoyed this book. I read it quickly and was rather pleased with the book. The romance develops at just the right pace. Taking it slow but not too slow. The characters are relatable, and it had me on the edge of my seat. I recommend reading this book. You finish reading contented and happy. Read it! You'll enjoy it. :)
Meadow Frisbie
Sep 29, 2009 Meadow Frisbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, mystery
This had a very good story line. Cassie works for a lady who has a terrible son, he murders, steals and lies to cover it up. When Cassie discovers poison being given to her mother...she can only suspect one person. With the help of the man of her dreams, she will overcome and make sure Sebastian is put in jail for life.

Great book in series, a little more romance then the others.
Christine
Aug 13, 2009 Christine rated it it was ok
I hate it when my boss' son turns out to be an idiot who mistreats his mother and acts like a moron....BUT...Cassie shows you how to be the better 'man' and do what is right because in the end she will "rise above." Yes, it's fiction, but a little far out there.
Trina
Apr 12, 2011 Trina rated it really liked it
I mostly liked this book for the characters. I'd like to think that people can simply care about others like she does. She is also very greatful for the simple things in life. The male lead is also a very admirable character. Predictable story but fun to follow.
Erin
Harmless and more entertaining than the other two books in this series. The writing isn't breathtaking and the plot is predictable, but it's a decent read. My biggest complaint with all the books I've read from this author is that the main character is too good to be true.
Rachel
Jul 11, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the others in the series. Also the train thing at the end...it felt a bit manufactured. I understand it but it just was unreal. But I did enjoy this book the main character was refreshing to me (and apparently to the other characters).
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 19, 2014 02:53PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 03:37PM
Translation into Spanish, why not? 1 2 Jul 01, 2014 07:28PM
  • Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)
  • A Heart Most Worthy
  • Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
  • Rebecca's Reward (Daughters of Blessing, #4)
  • Beguiled
  • The Carousel Painter
  • Head in the Clouds
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • A Hope Beyond (Ribbons of Steel, #2)
  • The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls, #3)
  • Sabrina (Big Sky Dreams, #2)
  • Love on a Dime (Ladies of Summerhill, #1)
  • All the Tea in China
  • The Lady of Bolton Hill
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Ladies of Liberty (3 books)
  • A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1)
  • A Lady of Hidden Intent (Ladies of Liberty, #2)

“Perhaps this is what it was all about. Leaning on God when life made no sense, as well as when the answers seem clear.” 57 likes