Start by marking “Saved in Hope: Spe Salvi” as Want to Read:
Saved in Hope: Spe Salvi

Saved in Hope: Spe Salvi (Encyclicals & Exhortations of Benedict XVI)

Pope Benedict XVI's second encyclical, Saved In Hope, ("Spe Salvi" in Latin) takes its title from St. Paul, who wrote, "In hope we have been saved." In this special deluxe hardcover edition of the work, the Holy Father continues a line of thought he began with his first encyclical, God is Love.

Love and Hope are closely related in the spiritual life. Love of God involves ho
Published February 1st 2008 by Ignatius Press (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Saved in Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saved in Hope

Dominik
Jan 27, 2009 Dominik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-reread
Read this. Don't wait for the book, go to http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/ben... and read it.

It's accessible, enlightening, and true.

There's incredible richness and depth in the Holy Father's words here, richness and depth that will take several readings spaced out over months -- and years -- to sink in.

I could fill this review with a wall of quotes, but it might just be easier if you'd read Spe Salvi in its entirety. It's that good.

The Pope casts a wide net in this encyclical, the net of hope
Σς
Jul 09, 2009 Σς rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Richard Dawkins
Shelves: religion, encyclicals
Everything we have come to expect from Benedict XVI--lucidity and a depth steeped in the classics. The Pope replies to Marx, Adorno, Bacon, and all of those, common in our time, who think that human progress is attainable here on earth independent of God. Benedict simply flattens all of them. "Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." (Psalm 127) Unless the Lord builds the civilization, progress is illu ...more
Santeri Marjokorpi
Feb 12, 2017 Santeri Marjokorpi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teologia
Benedictus XVI puhuu kiertokirjeessään kristillisestä toivosta ja sen sisällöstä. Benedictuksen tapaan tämä sisältää erittäin syvällistä ajattelua. Nautiskelin suuresti taas kerran Benedictuksen marxismi- ja yhteiskuntakritiikistä, joka osuu napakymppiin aikamme ajankohtaisissa keskusteluissa. Kristillinen toivo ei ole sitä, että teemme maailmasta utopian politiikan välityksellä. Kun toivo suunnataan politiikkaan, syntyy vain autoritaarista vallankäyttöä. Samoin myöskään tiede tai tekniikan kehi ...more
Alicia
Mar 18, 2008 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I'm re-reading this for an article I'd like to read. I'm understanding it better the second time through and I REALLY prefer reading it in a nice little booklet instead of a computer print-out. :)
Tanya
Jul 10, 2014 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Pope Benedict XVI has an amazing talent for writing and is a brilliant man. I loved this book and look forward to reading more of his works!
Christopher Pokorny
Dec 11, 2016 Christopher Pokorny rated it it was amazing
Great for Advent devotional reading!
Neil Coulter
Sep 08, 2013 Neil Coulter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: worship, non-fiction

I find Benedict a very encouraging and challenging writer, and both of those characteristics are in the forefront of his second encyclical, Saved in Hope. He begins with Romans 8:24--"in hope we were saved"--and then asks: "what sort of hope could ever justify the statement that, on the basis of that hope and simply because it exists, we are redeemed? And what sort of certainty is involved here?" From that question, Benedict spins out a beautiful answer.

In this encyclical, as in other of Benedic

Maurizio Codogno
Dopo Deus Caritas Est, la seconda enciclica di papa Ratzinger tratta della speranza. Si possono fare delle scommesse se un'eventuale terza enciclica sarà sulla fede :-) A parte questa battuta piuttosto scontata, ammetto che questa enciclica mi ha piuttosto deluso. Io da un'enciclica mi aspetto un testo che, anche se non a livello di dogma, riporta il pensiero ufficiale della Chiesa Cattolica. Qua, almeno nella prima metà dell'enciclica, abbiamo tutta una serie di dottissime citazioni papali che ...more
Chris
Aug 07, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
One of only three encyclicals Pope Benedict XVI penned before stepping down as Supreme Pontiff, "Spe Salvi" is an examination of the nature of hope, its relationship to faith, how it is experienced in life, and its place in salvation. Perhaps surprising for those unfamiliar with Benedict, or relying on the media's portrayal of the former Cardinal Ratzinger to form their opinion of the man, "spe Salvi" is a joy to read and presents some of the central tenets of Christianity in a way that fosters ...more
James
Jun 02, 2009 James rated it really liked it
Benedict does a nice job of expounding on the Christian hope and the future in breaking of the Kingdom for which the Church longs.
Particularly praiseworthy is the clarity and accessibility of Benedict's prose. He certainly is a great author. I think there is a great deal of depth here. His use of historical examples brings the topic alive. Benedict is a responsible exegete of scripture. This encyclical is a joy to read.

Most of the criticisms of this Encyclical stem from the aspects of the Chris
Ryan
Feb 02, 2014 Ryan rated it really liked it
Suffice it to say, there were several things I found quite intriguing in this encyclical: the frankness with which Pope Benedict approaches the problems of materialism, fatalism, and the "faith in progress," bequeathed to us by the Enlightenment (he cites Francis Bacon); the steering away of Christian life from a self-centered concern for merely one's own salvation, focusing instead on creating hope in others, and not merely in this world, but in the "Kingdom of God"; and lastly, his treatment o ...more
Jon Coronel
Jun 12, 2013 Jon Coronel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Brilliant!
Affirmed my perspectives about Faith.
Favorite part: On the exploration of Faith based on Heb 11:1
"Faith is the "hypostasis" of things hoped for. The "elechos" of things not seen."
Hypostasis as substance, essence, firm foundation and elechos as proof, evidence, demonstration implying objectivity rather than subjectivity.
Similarly in another article, Benedict demonstrated that Faith is indeed objective - which simply means knowing "God as Love". Thus, Faith, is an Objective Truth that gi
Quilltips
Jul 28, 2011 Quilltips rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
Just as with Deus Caritas Est, this is one of the most profound works I've read in years. Pope Benedict has written a beautiful, concise explanation of the meaning of hope for everything from life after death, to the purpose of suffering, the interactions between politics and religion, science, atheism, and what it actually means when people talk about Jesus having "redeemed" us --

-- and he did it in 60 pages. Absolutely brilliant.
Ben De Bono
May 20, 2013 Ben De Bono rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
The formidable wisdom and intellect of Pope Benedict are on full display in his second encyclical. Reading this is a wonderful reminder of what a blessing the church was given by being placed under Benedict's leadership for eight years.

Many of the themes in this volume reminded me of N.T. Wright's Surprised by Hope. The two would make a wonderful paired reading and would not doubt prove fascinating if placed in conversational analysis with one another.
J.T. Therrien
Oct 13, 2013 J.T. Therrien rated it it was amazing
In Spe Salvi (Saved in Hope) Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI explores man's historical, social and spiritual existence in the world, and how this existence is dependent upon hope.

Although this encyclical is more technical than some of the other more recent ones, this is a fundamentally important text that every Catholic needs to read.
Monika
Aug 18, 2010 Monika rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion
This encyclical is important in our times. It shows that God doesn't give up on people. There is hope, even in our modern times. And we are saved in hope - like the Bible says. I like also that this encyclical letter ends by the prayer to Virgin Mary. She is our Hope, she leads us to God and as long as we have Her we are saved and we have Hope.
Joe
Benedict goes deep into philosophy, which means that the Catholic masses won't appreciate this very much. It's better for agnostic or apathetic scientist-types: the pope explains how the Church sees its relationship with science. This ties to the theme of hope: scientific progress hasn't led to moral progress, and Benedict sees the Church and faith as the way to hope.
Ryan
Jun 18, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it
My favorite of Benedict's first 2 encyclicals. Not that it was purposefully an answer to Obama, but he brilliantly exposes the emptiness in our president's Godless and ironically hopeLESS "Audacity of Hope."
Leonardo
Apr 05, 2014 Leonardo rated it it was amazing
Excelente. Es sencillo, claro, pero profundo. Me resultó muy interesante la cuestión de la vinculación entre la esperanza personal y la esperanza de la humanidad. La salvación personal y la salvación de la humanidad.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
Man’s great, true hope which holds firm in spite of all disappointments can only be God.... Again another very inspiring encyclical of Pope Benedict XVI... this time he discuss Hope... which everyone of us must have... especially hoping for the life to come....
Todd Zywicki
Dec 30, 2012 Todd Zywicki rated it it was amazing
What it means to be human. Can you think of anything more important? A guide to human happiness here.
Peter Calabrese
Dec 02, 2012 Peter Calabrese rated it it was amazing
Interesting that the President of the United Sates and the Holy Father both bear names that mean blessing and both wrote books on Hope. This book is about hope in Jesus Christ.
Tim Fairchild
Hope requires confidence, confidence is developed through practice.
Kazango
Oct 08, 2013 Kazango rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Better than Deus Caritas Est, in my opinion, and successfully explains, inspires, and draws forth the hope of Christians.
Ben
Feb 15, 2015 Ben rated it it was amazing
My favorite encyclical of any Pope. So accessible.
Andrew Votipka
Jan 11, 2016 Andrew Votipka rated it it was amazing
Great encyclical on the theological virtue of Hope. What it means for a Christian to hope and how it is salvific.
Peter M.
May 11, 2010 Peter M. rated it really liked it
I've read Pope Benedict's two other encyclical letters, I believe in the course of history he will be judged as a man of his times....
Mitchell Hebert
Feb 17, 2008 Mitchell Hebert rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. Easy to read and follow for almost anyone. My 14 year old brother read it and loved it as well.
Jesuswept1333
Mar 10, 2008 Jesuswept1333 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: papal-documents
Gracie Benedetto! A truly insightful and timely letter from our Pontiff.
Nick Koh
Nick Koh rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2016
  • Theology for Beginners
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • God's Choice: Pope Benedict XVI and the Future of the Catholic Church
  • Lord, Have Mercy: The Healing Power of Confession
  • Vatican Council II: Constitutions, Decrees, Declarations (The Basic Sixteen Documents)
  • A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy
  • Fire Within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • Time for God: A Guide to Mental Prayer
  • Death On A Friday Afternoon: Meditations On The Last Words Of Jesus From The Cross
Pope Benedict XVI (Latin: Benedictus PP. XVI; Italian: Benedetto XVI; German: Benedikt XVI.; born Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger on 16 April 1927) was the 265th Pope, by virtue of his office of Bishop of Rome, the Sovereign of the Vatican City State and the head of the Catholic Church. He was elected on 19 April 2005 in a papal conclave, celebrated his Papal Inauguration Mass on 24 April 2005, and too ...more
More about Pope Benedict XVI...

Encyclicals & Exhortations of Benedict XVI (6 books)
  • God Is Love: Deus Caritas Est
  • Charity in Truth: Caritas in Veritate
  • Sacramentum Caritatis: On the Eucharist as the Source and Summit of the Church's Life and Mission
  • Verbum Domini: The Word of God in the Life and Mission of the Church
  • Africae Munus: On the Church in Africa

“It is not by sidestepping or fleeing from suffering that we are healed, but rather by our capacity for accepting it, maturing through it and finding meaning through union with Christ, who suffered with infinite love.” 37 likes
“It is when we attempt to avoid suffering by withdrawing from anything that might involve hurt, when we try to spare ourselves the effort and pain of pursuing truth, love, and goodness, that we drift into a life of emptiness, in which there may be almost no pain, but the dark sensation of meaninglessness and abandonment is all the greater.” 25 likes