Start by marking “The Art of Amy Brown” as Want to Read:
The Art of Amy Brown

The Art of Amy Brown

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,802 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The Art of Amy Brown is the first collection of Amy Brown's wildly popular art. It was published by Chimera Publishing in 2003. The book is 157 pages of art, with a commentary by Amy Brown for every piece of artwork. The Art of Amy Brown has an introduction by the well-known author Charles de Lint. There are three editions of this book—a paperback, a hardcover, and a speci ...more
Published January 25th 2010 by Chimera Publishing (first published September 1st 2003)

Faeries by Brian FroudThe Art of Amy Brown by Amy BrownThe Fantasy World of Josephine Wall by Josephine WallParting The Veil by Nene ThomasLady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book by Terry Jones
Fantasy Art Books
2nd out of 54 books — 45 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
172nd out of 911 books — 1,987 voters

More lists with this book...

Athena
Jun 24, 2008 Athena rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
I'm a fan of Brown, and not just because of the material she paints. I read an interview with her and she admitted she wasn't a natural artist and that she's always had the drive to create beautiful pictures and then worked really hard to achieve it. With this book you can see her flaws and what elements she needs to work on (faces, feet), but you're still enthralled by the scenes on the page. She's very human and so is her art.
Dharia Scarab
Nov 03, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it it was amazing

4 sta
Ashley
there really was no words but the illustrations were incredible!!!
I have always loved fairy's, gnomes, things of that manner and this book was great I own the book 1 and 2 from Mrs. Amy Brown

Very worth buying just to have on the coffee table
Elisabeth Miller
Oct 04, 2015 Elisabeth Miller rated it really liked it
I absolutly love Amy Brown - although her drawing aren't perfect, her imagination just captures you and the flaws are not important...
There is something in her faries that draws me inside them and I find myself staring at the pages... I even made a tatoo by one of her drawings - I like her drawings that much I guess :)
I gave a 4 because there are better artists, but grading isn't everything...
Mark Holman
May 28, 2016 Mark Holman rated it it was amazing
I really treasure this book as a window to the world of imagination and wonder! Beautiful drawings and amazing detail in her first book! I feel inspired to create after looking at her artwork! Great to show to children and their friends. Very Beautiful and poetic!
Allison
Jun 12, 2016 Allison rated it it was amazing
I know this is not a book, just a collection of art but I'm actually shocked that it's on this site so 5 stars to my girl Amy Brown.
A. E. S.
Beautiful collection - I've had this book for ten years or more. Many of my favorites are featured here, and I hope to get prints someday.
Wend
Apr 16, 2016 Wend rated it really liked it
Love Amy Brown, this book does her justice and fun to see all this work together.
Susan
Jun 22, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love her art. Hers was the first fantasy art that I came to know.
Tuqa
Mar 03, 2014 Tuqa rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
i think that will hlep me very well ana practise my languge
Velvetea
Oct 17, 2012 Velvetea rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
Creative character and fashion designs by one of the most influential fantasy artists of today~ I like the story of how she came to be a successful artist.

While her style is not my favorite, tending to be flat, static, and a little wonky in proportion at times, the flaws add to her REALNESS, and you can see how she's progressed over the years! The world adores her, and that is a colossal accomplishment.

If using watercolor is the hardest to "make it" in the art world as the book claims, she's ce
Ginnie Grant
book
Nedda
Jan 16, 2014 Nedda rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, art
WOW!! So amazing, I can never get enough of fantastical art! Some of those fairies looked so ethereal and just beautiful! <3<3 I also loved the fact that it's not too "polished", and very real.
Jeanette Rupel
Sep 07, 2015 Jeanette Rupel rated it it was amazing
A beautiful coffee table book of the best work of Amy Brown.
Cassie
Oct 30, 2013 Cassie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy artists
Recommended to Cassie by: Hot Topic
I bought this when I was going through a big Hot Topic phase in high school. At the time, I was hooked. I had the pens, I had the stationary, the works. But after looking through her books once the black eyeliner washed out of my eyes, I realized that her fairies all have the same face and body structure. Creative yes, but I think she ran out of inspiration halfway through her book.
Mark Lacy
Jan 01, 2014 Mark Lacy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, arts-art
I like this artist's work. But I wish a few things: (1) she could paint eyes better, (2) she would paint feet differently. Some paintings reminded me of Michael Parkes, whom she acknowledges as an influence.
Mckinley
Jan 24, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, art, fantasy
Fairly, goblins, etc. Can see why Charles deLint wrote the intro. If you enjoy his stories then take a look at her artwork. Lovely. Although it does get to be a bit overwhelming looking at this collection. And a tad repetitive. Can't decide on a favorite.
locrian
Dec 02, 2014 locrian rated it did not like it
Recommended to locrian by: gecko.segno@gmail.com
Shelves: genre-art
I like a lot of the ideas in here, but the more I looked at the pieces, the more I noticed all the little mistakes in anatomy, etc. Also the way she draws feet REALLY bothers me. Agh.
Cecilia
Mar 17, 2009 Cecilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amy Brown is one of my favourite faerie artists. She has a great talent and creativity. Her faeries have a very unique style and I love that.
A very, very beautiful book.
Melissa Bennett
Jul 22, 2010 Melissa Bennett rated it it was amazing
A compilation of Amy's work. Filled with Faeries, Dragons & Mermaids. Beautifully detailed. Amy gives a comment for each piece of art in this book.
Briana
Oct 02, 2011 Briana rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone!! =)
Recommended to Briana by: Secretmarsgirl
I love this book and I LOVE this artist <3 Her art is so beautiful and amazing. This book gave me a lot of great ideas for tattoo designs =) Magical.
Lauren
Mar 01, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairies
All of Amy Brown's artwork is simply breathtaking. The pictures are so detailed and I absolutely love all of the dresses.
Sreevidhya
Sep 24, 2012 Sreevidhya rated it it was amazing
It's pretty nice...
I could really feel a fairy in myself...
To those who prefer fantasy, I recommend them to read this book...
Becky
Jun 15, 2007 Becky rated it it was amazing
I love Amy Brown's art. It's so fanciful, detailed and whimsically beautiful. She has a marvelous watercolor technique.
Jeneé
Oct 28, 2015 Jeneé rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
One of my favorite artist. I was so inspired by her art in this book that I wrote a poem for each and every picture.
Sara Hemenway
Dec 08, 2013 Sara Hemenway rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
I love Amy's art, and have for at least the last 12 years. I like all her little comments about each painting.
Anna Mavromati
Sep 15, 2009 Anna Mavromati rated it really liked it
The source of my first ever (and so far only) tattoo...yayyyy...full of post-it notes on my shelf now.
  • Brian Froud's World of Faerie
  • The Fairies
  • The Art of Faery
  • Parting The Veil: The Art of Nene Thomas
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-By-Step Guide to Fairy Art
  • Fairies
  • ARh+
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings from Myth and Magic
  • Darkwerks: The Art of Brom