Art of Amy Brown Volume I

Art of Amy Brown Volume I

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  5,247 ratings  ·  35 reviews
The Art of Amy Brown is the first collection of Amy Brown's wildly popular art. It was published by Chimera Publishing in 2003. The book is 157 pages of art, with a commentary by Amy Brown for every piece of artwork. The Art of Amy Brown has an introduction by the well-known author Charles de Lint. There are three editions of this book—a paperback, a hardcover, and a speci...more
Published January 25th 2010 by Chimera Publishing (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Art of Amy Brown Volume I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Art of Amy Brown Volume I

Faeries by Brian FroudArt of Amy Brown Volume I by Amy BrownThe Fantasy World of Josephine Wall by Josephine WallParting The Veil by Nene ThomasLady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book by Terry Jones
Fantasy Art Books
2nd out of 48 books — 40 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
220th out of 772 books — 1,645 voters

More lists with this book...

Athena
Jun 24, 2008 Athena rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
I'm a fan of Brown, and not just because of the material she paints. I read an interview with her and she admitted she wasn't a natural artist and that she's always had the drive to create beautiful pictures and then worked really hard to achieve it. With this book you can see her flaws and what elements she needs to work on (faces, feet), but you're still enthralled by the scenes on the page. She's very human and so is her art.
Carol Hardesty
Like I said in an earlier review, art books are like picture books for grown-ups. And while I do find most of them enjoyable, this book is especially exceptional. I first discovered "The Art of Amy Brown" in my freshman year of high school. It was in Drama class and I was sitting next to a girl named Jackie Nelson, who how had it under her desk. I asked if I could borrow it, she said sure, and what I saw blew me away. In particular, it gave a fresh spin to the mythical creatures we know as fairi...more
A. E. S.
Beautiful collection - I've had this book for ten years or more. Many of my favorites are featured here, and I hope to get prints someday.
Susan
I love her art. Hers was the first fantasy art that I came to know.
Tuqa
i think that will hlep me very well ana practise my languge
MoonTea
Oct 17, 2012 MoonTea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
Creative character and fashion designs by one of the most influential fantasy artists of today~ I like the story of how she came to be a successful artist.

While her style is not my favorite, tending to be flat, static, and a little wonky in proportion at times, the flaws add to her REALNESS, and you can see how she's progressed over the years! The world adores her, and that is a colossal accomplishment.

If using watercolor is the hardest to "make it" in the art world as the book claims, she's ce...more
Nedda
WOW!! So amazing, I can never get enough of fantastical art! Some of those fairies looked so ethereal and just beautiful! <3<3 I also loved the fact that it's not too "polished", and very real.
Cassie
Oct 30, 2013 Cassie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy artists
Recommended to Cassie by: Hot Topic
I bought this when I was going through a big Hot Topic phase in high school. At the time, I was hooked. I had the pens, I had the stationary, the works. But after looking through her books once the black eyeliner washed out of my eyes, I realized that her fairies all have the same face and body structure. Creative yes, but I think she ran out of inspiration halfway through her book.
Mark Lacy
I like this artist's work. But I wish a few things: (1) she could paint eyes better, (2) she would paint feet differently. Some paintings reminded me of Michael Parkes, whom she acknowledges as an influence.
Ashley
there really was no words but the illustrations were incredible!!!
I have always loved fairy's, gnomes, things of that manner and this book was great I own the book 1 and 2 from Mrs. Amy Brown

Very worth buying just to have on the coffee table
Mckinley
Fairly, goblins, etc. Can see why Charles deLint wrote the intro. If you enjoy his stories then take a look at her artwork. Lovely. Although it does get to be a bit overwhelming looking at this collection. And a tad repetitive. Can't decide on a favorite.
Ilan
Jun 28, 2012 Ilan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ilan by: gecko.segno@gmail.com
I like a lot of the ideas in here, but the more I looked at the pieces, the more I noticed all the little mistakes in anatomy, etc. Also the way she draws feet REALLY bothers me. Agh.
Cecilia
Amy Brown is one of my favourite faerie artists. She has a great talent and creativity. Her faeries have a very unique style and I love that.
A very, very beautiful book.
Melissa Bennett
A compilation of Amy's work. Filled with Faeries, Dragons & Mermaids. Beautifully detailed. Amy gives a comment for each piece of art in this book.
Briana
Oct 02, 2011 Briana rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!! =)
Recommended to Briana by: Secretmarsgirl
I love this book and I LOVE this artist <3 Her art is so beautiful and amazing. This book gave me a lot of great ideas for tattoo designs =) Magical.
Sreevidhya
It's pretty nice...
I could really feel a fairy in myself...
To those who prefer fantasy, I recommend them to read this book...
Becky
I love Amy Brown's art. It's so fanciful, detailed and whimsically beautiful. She has a marvelous watercolor technique.
Jenee
One of my favorite artist. I was so inspired by her art in this book that I wrote a poem for each and every picture.
Sara Hemenway
I love Amy's art, and have for at least the last 12 years. I like all her little comments about each painting.
Anna Mavromati
The source of my first ever (and so far only) tattoo...yayyyy...full of post-it notes on my shelf now.
Athena
What beautiful art that Amy Brown creates. If you are into fairies and nature I say this is a fun one!
Cristina Garcia
Not that there is much to read besides the commentary, but I love the art nonetheless. :)
Trish
Love her artwork. Nothing more to be said. If you haven't seen it, check out her website.
Gina
Beautiful illustrations. I've loved her faeries & dragons from the first time I saw them.
Cindy
Aug 16, 2008 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
I love Amy Brown's work. Her fairies are not always typical.
Laurie
A good selection of Amy Brown's whimisical fantasy art.
Beverly
beautiful artwork; inventive and creative
Kat
The awesome art of Amy Brown... gorgeous stuff
I love Amy Browns fairies. Gothic and romantic.
  • Brian Froud's World of Faerie
  • The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World
  • A Midsummer Night's Faery Tale
  • The Great Encyclopedia Of Faeries
  • Fairyopolis: A Flower Fairies Journal
  • Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
  • ARh+
  • Fairies
  • The Element Encyclopedia of Magical Creatures: The Ultimate A-Z of Fantastic Beings From Myth and Magic
  • The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook
  • Darkwerks: The Art of Brom
  • The Goblin Companion
  • The Secret Art of Dr. Seuss
  • J.W. Waterhouse
  • The Man Who Made Vermeers: Unvarnishing the Legend of Master Forger Han van Meegeren
  • Arcimboldo (Taschen Basic Art)
  • The Discovery of Dragons
Art of Amy Brown Volume II The Amy Brown Faery Wisdom Deck with Instruction Booklet The Architecture of Open Source Applications, Volume II Faery Pest Guide The Odour of Sanctity