How Math Explains the World: A Guide to the Power of Numbers, from Car Repair to Modern Physics

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  10 reviews
In How Math Explains the World, mathematician Stein reveals how seemingly arcane mathematical investigations and discoveries have led to bigger, more world-shaking insights into the nature of our world. In the four main sections of the book, Stein tells the stories of the mathematical thinkers who discerned some of the most fundamental aspects of our universe. From their s...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by Smithsonian

Kathleen
This book was presented in exactly the way I like pop-math books to be written--with loads of pop-science examples. The math involved was just the right proportion of actual equations and examples, without reminding one too much of the text book she ought to be working from instead of reading popular books. As an overarching thesis, of course, the book is concerned with mathematics as a model--examples such as the Traveling Salesman Problem, Instant Runoff Voting, and the thermodynamics of melti...more
Cbpax
Jun 25, 2008 Cbpax rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Later teens/Adults
NOT light reading but a good read for Math/Science.
I thought it would be helpful for teaching Math next year but I have found better History of Math books. I did find a wealth of quotes I liked though and some thought provoking chapters. Of course Math doesn't explain ALL of life/the world. Like why my internet connection breaks down at the most inconvenient times or why some people dislike cats. Random things. Of course the people who want to win in Las Vegas should understand probability. And...more
Jim
I never fully got the organization of this book, but I enjoyed the variety of math issues considered, even if I didn't learn to solve any of them. The theme seems to be a look at the Clay Mathematics Institutes seven critical problems with an offer of $1Million for each solution.
Beth639
Good popular math book but not as readable as some. Not as connected to "explaining the world" as the title implies. I thought I was going to get connections I could share with my high school class but came up short. Good overview of mathematical advances though.
Anna
This is the book dedicated to all those who had a very bad math teacher in high school and who never understood why they have been taught logs and probabilities. A nice summary with unexpected "mathy" jokes about the development of mathematics.
Corin
Aug 06, 2011 Corin added it
I really enjoyed this book. It started slooowly, but once I got into it, I had a lot of fun reading it. It also got my teenaged daughter interested in mathematical concepts (not just calculations)... very cool!
MikeFromQueens
There were some interesting chapters in the book, though it was heavier on modern physics than the other, readily accessible areas of the world we actually interact with.
Jeff
loved it. great re-grounding in math.

only problem is i think it was mis-titled. should have been called: all the places math falls short in explaining the world.
David02139
From what I know of math and physics, a good overview of open questions and how math and physics are similar
Christiana
There is a reason I wasn't a math or physics major.
Scott
James
James added it
May 07, 2014
Melantha
Melantha marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Simona
Simona marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Daniel Ziegelbauer
Daniel Ziegelbauer is currently reading it
Oct 28, 2013
Crissy Blanos
Crissy Blanos marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2013
Malia Leuck
Malia Leuck marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
Radek
Radek marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Sarah Ford
Sarah Ford marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Cosmic Numbers: The Numbers That Define Our Universe How Math Can Save Your Life: (And Make You Rich, Help You Find The One, and Avert Catastrophes) La matematica non è un'opinione. Ma è il modo più facile per capire il mondo The Paranormal Equation 揭示宇宙奥秘的13个常数 (图灵新知) (Chinese Edition)