Earth Is Room Enough

· The Watery Place · ss Satellite Oct ’56
· Living Space · ss Science Fiction Stories May ’56
· The Message · vi F&SF...more
Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Published 1970 by Fawcett Crest (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Earth Is Room Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth Is Room Enough

Brave New World by Aldous HuxleyThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodDo Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick1984 by George OrwellI, Robot by Isaac Asimov
Earth Is Room Enough--On-Planet SF
25th out of 160 books — 61 voters
The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan KunderaOne Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran FoerThe Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
Most Poetic Book Titles
401st out of 858 books — 485 voters

More lists with this book...

Manny

The standout in this quite good collection is definitely "Satisfaction Guaranteed", even if it's so 50s that it feels like you need subtitles to understand it. US Robots have developed a housework robot, which they are going to field test in the home of one of their employees. The action focusses on the uneasy relationship that develops between the robot and the bored housewife, who's plagued with general feelings of helplessness and inadequacy; the robot, programmed with the Three Laws and obli...more
Tfitoby
An interesting collection of short stories, some of the better ones I'd previously experienced in The Complete Robot so the novelty of reading such good stories was worn off and possibly detracted from my overall enjoyment.

The collection also featured some of Asimov's fantasy stories, my first experience of such things, and even though I consider him a good writer of good ideas my eyes just glazed over at the mention of faeries and Avalaon for example. I have Fantasy block even with such a man a...more
Kayla
This was my first ever book read by Asimov, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Especially the stories that involved Multivac. It really is true, no one spits out story ideas faster then Asimov, and I was especially surprised to find out they he also wrote in verse. A very unexpected surprise. I look forward to reading other works by this amazing story teller.
Patrick Nichols
A decent collection of Asimov with its usual mix of repressed titillation and shaggy dog stories (e.g an alien delegation is rebuffed by a rube who thought they said they were from "Venice," rather than "Venus." ugh). The unifying gimmicks that all the stories take place on Earth, but this was probably more of a novelty in the 50's than in today's more dystopian genre. Multivac, a grendel among giant computers, is a recurring character, dispensing an omniscience we now know as "Google."

Two stor...more
Pinar Celebi
This book, like many other Asimov books, is classic. It can be considered as early science fiction. Except for a few anomalies like punch cards, Asimov’s imagination and stories fit in well still today. The technological advances humanity has achieved over time do not affect the impact of these stories. When I was reading it, I forgot the fact that these stories were written in 1950s. I think one can still see the possibilities of some of Asimov’s imagined futures even today.

Like many other rev...more

La stanza chiusa (Racconto breve, The Brazen Locked Room, 1956) di Isaac Asimov

Spazio vitale (Racconto, Living Space, 1956) di Isaac Asimov
Traduzione di Riccardo
Joey Brockert
A very nice collection of short stories, with Mr. Asimov's unique style. It is dated – the computers take up blocks and blocks, and there is mention of slide rules as well. The best one is 'The Watery Place,' but the one that, perhaps, ruins science fiction is 'The Foundation of S. F.' because it takes the mystery out of how it is written.
'The Dead Past' – A professor of Ancient History wants to see into the past for his work, bu the bureaucracy is in his way (the government has been trying to...more
Devin
I was intrigued by the earth setting of these stories from a grandmaster of science fiction. They are really great reads, all of them. They are all very unique and very real, as in, I can imagine them happening in the future. His scenarios are never too far-fetched, just close enough to reality to make us really shiver to think of what it would truly be like. I love it. Good stories.
Jenn
Aug 03, 2011 Jenn added it
You forget while reading it that the stories are from the 50s....most would not seem out of place if written today. I enjoy the sly humor of many of the pieces...and recommend that you read "The Election" to see how he thought we'd be voting in 2008. =]
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I sometimes joke that Isaac Asimov is my intellectual father: although that's not that far from the truth. His essays, pro-reason and pro-science, had a huge influence upon me growing up. He's probably best known for his science fiction novels, but I think his best fiction by far is to be found in his short stories. There are 15 short stories here in this 1957 anthology. Below I name my three favorites:

1) "The Dead Past" - This is my favorite Asimov story, not just of the collection, but of any...more
Franco Olcese
As a selection of stories, i don't consider this book a really good one. What i did enjoy a lot were the visions they had in the 50's about the future. Most of the stories happen in the first century of 2000, and the vision of what would be the future (computers, robotics, political systems, values, etc) is interesting and funny. However there are a couple of good ones that i would recommend to read:

The Dead Past · nv Astounding Apr ’56 : I think this one is the best. It is about a machine to s...more
_inbetween_
This collection of short stories ended the period of time I thought well of Science Fiction, which started on that memorable day I read a book of four long short stories, all dealing with humans and humanity in inventive ways. Before that I might have had a low opinion of SciFi or (more likely) none at all, and I'm not sure if that was before observing Fantasy fen (abroad, never really in my home country) and choosing Pratchett over them, or later. I just know that all these many many years, I w...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/899237.html[return][return]Collection of Asimov's stories from the first half of the 1950s, also two rather self-indulgent Gilbert and Sullivan pastiches about writing pulp sf. A lot of the stories are extended jokes; a lot of them revolve around intellectually gifted male protagonists in unhappy marriages. The most memorable is possibly "Jokester", in which the source of all humour is revealed. I was surprised to realise that the first story, "The Dead Past", another...more
Christophe
Quoi de plus utile qu'un chronoscope pour qui veut réhabiliter les Carthaginois calomniés ? Mais quel péril le sondage temporel fait-il courir à l'humanité ? S'il avait connu la robotique, Sherlock Holmes aurait été obligé de se recycler...
Le corps électoral réduit à un seul et unique électeur : c'est le triomphe de la démocratie électronique...
Il était une fois un pauvre petit ordinateur bien courageux et bien malheureux...

Christophe

Robert 'Rev. Bob'
There's a peculiar charm to Golden Age SF, perhaps especially in its short stories. This collection is a prime example. On the one hand, the details are hopelessly antique; nobody in 2011 can possibly consider the technology or science realistic. The themes and ideas, though... those have a bizarre, almost eerie resonance.

For example, "The Fun They Had" treats electronic books as the norm, a simple fact of life accessible to any child...something we're still struggling with over fifty years late...more
Cheryl Shorter
Aug 06, 2014 Cheryl Shorter rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Josh Shorter
Shelves: my-room
Wonderful collection of Dr. Asimov's short stories taking place right here on earth. If nothing else read it for the 1955 tale: The Message you will finally understand the true message in this book.
Huma Zafar
What I love about Asimov's stories is that he gets interesting ideas and then exhausts those ideas completely before letting the story end. A good example of this is the first story in the collection, "The Dead Past", in which the government exercises strict control over scientific research, and seems to be suppressing research of chronoscopy (seeing into the past). The concept of "time-viewing" is explored thoroughly so the eventual explanation for the government's actions is unexpectedly satis...more
Wuhan
The golden age of science fiction wasn't in the 1930s or the 1950s...it is when a 12 year old anywhere gets ahold on a collection like this. Bug bit. I'm still reading.
Nathan
I found all these stories just fantastic. They ask had that Asimov flare. Not quite as "flashy" sci-fi as others, but a more down to earth feel that was comfortable and yet introduced suspense that hit close to home.
Kat
I love Asimov's style. This book gave wonderful, thought provoking and enjoyable stories.
Cal
Twas okay. Asimov's robot stories are my favorite, so I'd already read all the ones that are also in the complete robot as well as the ones in robot dreams. I was still entertained by the nonrobot ones decently well enough. I liked the one about the end of the world because it was actually Christian based (surprising). Most of these stories have a layer of wit underneath them rather than seriousness... oh and I very much enjoyed his poetry. As a writer myself, I could definitely relate to some o...more
Hemantkumar Jain
This was my first Asimov collection and I can say they are super awesome. Short stories in science fiction genre which raise questions you might have never thought about.

Did you ever link Time Travel to invasion of privacy or as a mechanism to serve justice ?

Did you ever think how modern technology will change lives of people and in a bid to make things interesting ... they might actually go boring and people in future might find the past interesting ?

Asimov not only ensures that you enjoy th...more
Roger Walker
An excellent collection of classic s.f. shorts, along with two poems.
Tony
This was a stocking stuffer I got many christmas ago. While the majority of the stories are extremely dated, there are some that still really stand out in my head. My two favorites in the book were "The Last Trump" concerning Judgement Day and "Dreaming is a Private Thing". Still a book I go back to every so often and reread. Partially because the stories are entertaining, but also to regain for a moment the sense of wonder I had as a child when I first read them.
Anilecia
As excellent as Asimov's fiction always is.
Fulya
Now, this is the problem with story collections. All the good and bad ones are rolled up together. This book is no exception. "The Dead Past" is a marvellous dystopia example,"The Watery Place"'s wit is almost genius, "Satisfaction Guaranteed" is an old-school artifical intelligence tale. However, the rest is either average or below average. Asimov was a very productive writer but productivity is not always equal with quality.
Pete
Earth is Room Enough is a collection of short stories that take place on Earth (thus the title). It's a pretty good collection, and the grounding of the stories on Earth provides Asimov with a lot of room to explore the human condition, where civilization might be heading, and just plain have fun. It's good stuff, and would probably be a decent introduction to sci-fi.
Aaron
This is a collection of short stories written by Asimov in the 1950s. It was really great. Asimov is awesome, and you can recognize his influence still today. I'm positive the last story in this book - "Dreaming is a Private Thing" - was the starting point for both Inception and Strange Days. Anyways, thumbs up for this book.
Steve
  • Tales Of Ten Worlds (Gollancz)
  • The Menace from Earth (Future History, #18)
  • All The Myriad Ways
  • Tangents
  • Trader to the Stars

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te...more
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)