Start by marking “The King's Damosel” as Want to Read:
The King's Damosel

The King's Damosel (The Three Damosels #2)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A magical glimpse into the legendary age of Arthurian chivalry.

Lynett, unwilling bride of the Round Table Knight, Gaheris, leaves her husband and the true love of her life, his brother Gareth, to become the King's messenger.

Knightly chivalry is beset by Dark Age barbarity in this richly woven tapestry of heroes and heroines, monsters and saints, temptresses and magicians.
Published April 1st 1978 by Avon (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Damosel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Damosel

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
The Arthurian Legend Retold
81st out of 438 books — 666 voters
Alanna by Tamora PierceGraceling by Kristin CashoreTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareEon by Alison GoodmanLeviathan by Scott Westerfeld
Girls disguised as Boys
206th out of 481 books — 579 voters

More lists with this book...

Elizabeth
I'm a fan of Quest for Camelot (good Lord, why, you ask, and yes. I know it's kind of ridiculous. But still!!) so of course I had to read the original source material. I was about 40 pages from the end over a year ago and abruptly stopped--I also had the vague impression it was boring. But I decided I really should finish what I started, and read it very quickly--not sure why I thought it was boring. The movie and book are extremely different, and a shame Executive Meddling forced the movie to t ...more
Rosa
Mar 03, 2015 Rosa rated it liked it
This book was the reason I checked out The Three Damosels in the first place. Because, as with most readers who have reviewed this work, I was a BIG fan of Quest for Camelot (which was VERY loosely adapted from this), this was the book of the three novels that I was most looking forward to reading.

Warning to the lovers of QFC: it is NOTHING like the novel. That is not to say that the book is bad. Not at all, in point of fact. It's just that the movie has little to do with the book. They're both
Tasha
Jan 02, 2010 Tasha rated it it was amazing
A brilliant fantasy story about a girl who was raped finding her sense of worth in a time when a woman's only value was her virginity.
Allison
Dec 01, 2013 Allison rated it liked it
Shelves: arthurian
This is the book the animated movie Quest for Camelot was based on. However, they are very different so don't expect whimsical talking dragons or plants that move of the own volition in this story. There isn't even a mention of Excalibur.
This is a retelling of two Arthurian legends: Malory's "Sir Beaumains" and a Grail Quest, from the point of view of Lynett, a tomboy in a time of knights and chivalry. Caught between her desire for travel and adventure and the expectations of medieval womanhood,
kyendwarrior
Sep 21, 2013 kyendwarrior rated it liked it
Also posted at: http://ethpages.blogspot.com/

It wasn't as good as I expected, but still a beautiful tale :)

I admit my guilt: I watched the movie before I read the book. Granted, the movie was VERY loosely based on the novel, so I guess my crime is justified ;). I won’t really compare the book and the movie because, as said before, the movie was VERY VERY loosely based. (But as a side note, I really liked the movie :)).

This novel was a beautiful tale, sad and hopeful all at the same time. It was
Rozhin

#نوستالوژی#آخی
Geordane
Magali
Mar 19, 2016 Magali rated it it was ok
I love Quest for Camelot with all my heart for the beautiful trainwreck of a movie that it is. So, a couple decades later, I thought it was time to give the source material a try. Sadly, I was disappointed. (Probably about as disappointed as most people are when I promise to show them a great movie and they are treated to Quest for Camelot, come to think of it.)

I missed Kaylee, but found in Lynnett a reasonable substitute. But where Quest for Camelot focused on a mad chase through an enchanted f
Katy
Dec 22, 2010 Katy marked it as to-read
the movie was really good
"Quest of Camelot"
Carolin
May 10, 2012 Carolin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eine weitere vertäumte Fantasy-Geschichte aus dem Reich Artus': Lynette und Leonie, zwei Schwestern, die gegensätzlicher nicht sein könnten, (die beiden haben mich stark an Schneeweißchen und Rosenrot erinnert) heiraten zu Beginn des Buches. Was für die eine ein rauschendes Fest ist und all ihre Wünsche erfüllt, ist für die andere eine bloße Farce und scheinbar der erste Schritt in ein Leben mit einem grobschlächtigen Mann an der Seite, für den sie nichts außer Ablehnung empfindet. Doch schon am ...more
JemiPorter89
Feb 23, 2016 JemiPorter89 rated it liked it
I also read this because of Quest for Camelot and agree that the film is quite a departure from the book. I liked the way Chapman retells the legend from a woman's perspective but found the language to be a little old fashioned at times and struggled a bit with it (English is not my first language). I've seen that there is an audiobook version on Audible so I might try that and see if it works better for me as a 'spoken' book.
Izzy
May 28, 2015 Izzy rated it liked it
If you like medieval times, little bit of romance and adventure this is great book for all of that! Not whole lot of action in this book, it evolves around a jealous sister and her revenge on someone who did her wrong. The romance is sweet but the ending will have you in awestruck.
Sara Summers
Dec 20, 2011 Sara Summers rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book! I grew up loving quest for camelot and when I found out it was "based" (I use that word losely) on The King's Damosel, I had to read it.

I got sucked in as soon as I started it, and the fact that I'm kind of an arturian nerd only added to that. Most of all, I loved the way Chapman used gender roles as a motivator. In Gareth and Lynette, Lynette had the same shard tounge you have to love about her, but she really wasn't as cool as she was in this.

Not to mention, I c
Oct 01, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was -actually still am- in love with "Quest for Camelot" so I had to read this. Of course it is different from the movie but it is amazing. I love this book. It's almost better then the movie. Probably my favorite book. (took forever to find this book. Apparently it isn't sold in book stores anymore. I had to run to used book stores and I still couldn't find it. I ended up buying it online but it takes the beauty away from the book. It is in large bold print and that sometimes bothers me, I wi ...more
Rachel
Oct 17, 2013 Rachel rated it it was ok
The reason I wanted to read this book is because apparently the movie "Quest for Camelot" was based on this. Let me just warn you if you're interested in it for the same reason, it is nothing like the movie. It's very very loosely based on this, if at all.
I did find it interesting and it had a good message with the whole forgiveness thing, but it didn't even end happily.
Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend it.
Dec 27, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"Quest for Camelot" was my favorite movie when I was little and reading this book finally did not disappoint. Of course it's no masterpiece, but I love it anyway. I felt bad that Lucius died though, it made me really sad, which just shows Vera Chapman's ability to create characters that we care about in a short amount of time. I love this book, it's become one of my favorites.
Tauna
Jul 24, 2010 Tauna rated it liked it
This is the book which the movie Quest for Camelot is very loosely based on, and I mean very loosely. In the movie, all but two names from the book are changed and the storyline is completely reworked. This book is very short and written without much detail, but is still a nice little story.
Arlene Allen
Jul 29, 2010 Arlene Allen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Although I read fantasy, I didn't really begin my obsession with it until I read this series. For years my diet was Arthurian legend (and I've read a lot of Arthurian!) and fantasy. Back in them old days, there really wasn't as much as there is now. And that may have been a good thing!
Amanda
Jun 18, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites, buy
This is the book they based the movie "Quest For Camelot" off of. It's really good, and I may or may not have been a little choked up at the ending.
Raina
Jan 01, 2016 Raina marked it as to-read
okay so apparently quest for camelot is based off this even though the summary sounds nothing like the movie
Hilarie
Jul 07, 2013 Hilarie rated it liked it
Interesting read, really more of a novella.
Christopher Donato
Christopher Donato marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Breanna Hopkins
Breanna Hopkins marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
U.C.
U.C. marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Cathie Watson
Cathie Watson marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Anjini
Anjini marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Hallie Tanner
Hallie Tanner marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • Beloved Exile (Firelord, #2)
  • Arthur Rex
  • Excalibur
  • The Chessboard Queen (Guinevere, #2)
  • The Third Magic (Forever King, #3)
  • A Coalition of Lions (The Lion Hunters, #2)
  • Merlin
  • Excalibur!
  • Queen of the Summer Stars (Guinevere, #2)
  • The Road to Avalon (Dark Ages of Britain, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Merlin
  • Merlin's Ring
  • Road to Camlann: The Death of King Arthur
  • The Circle Cast: The Lost Years of Morgan Le Fay
  • The Lady of the Sea (Tristan and Isolde, #3)
  • High Queen
Vera Chapman, also known as Vera Ivy May Fogerty or, in The Tolkien Society, as Belladonna Took. She founded The Tolkien Society, and also wrote a number of psudeo-historical and Arthurian books.

She was born in Bournemouth, England on the 8 May 1898 and lived in South Africa until she went to Oxford where she was one of the first woman to matriculate as a full member of Oxford University. She foun
More about Vera Chapman...

The Three Damosels (3 books)
  • The Green Knight