Start by marking “The Wedding Ceremony Planner: The Essential Guide to the Most Important Part of Your Wedding Day” as Want to Read:

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Many couples want a spiritual but not a religious ceremony that truly celebrates their unique set of beliefs, values and life circumstances. They want their ceremony, their way but don't know where to begin or what questions they need to ask. The Wedding Ceremony Planner is a comprehensive and user-friendly guide. It covers everything you need to know to create a beautiful ...more
Published April 1st 2005 by Sourcebooks Casablanca (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Wedding Ceremony Planner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wedding Ceremony Planner

Jeff
Sep 06, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing
This book is a great resource for anyone who is planning and writing their own wedding ceremony. The first few chapters cover the ceremony planning basics: setting the tone, deciding on the participants, choosing the location, and special considerations to be made.

The real value to this book is with part two, Designing Your Ceremony. The author goes over the different parts that can be included in a ceremony, and includes sample texts for each part. If you are writing your own ceremony, this pa
Hayden
Apr 14, 2008 Hayden rated it really liked it
When Richard asked his very kind sister for suggestions for ceremony planning resources, she sent us this book from Amazon instead. What I really like about it is that it gives you the basic outline of the ceremony (processional, greeting, vows, etc.) and then gives you a bunch of different examples of each part. So it's easy to mix and match to come up with more or less your own thing. It also has some sample ceremonies, if even the mixing and matching seems too hard.
megan
Aug 29, 2008 megan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people planning a wedding
Recommended to megan by: my mom via gabby
A co-worker of my mom's recommended this book to me as she said it really helped her in preparing for her own marriage. It was truly one of the most useful guidance books I've ever read--and I'm so pleased she recommended it because i don't think I would have picked it up otherwise. It gives lots of options for putting together a wedding ceremony and urges couples to be creative and as structured as you need to be.
Emily
Feb 22, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a great book for mindfully planning out your wedding ceremony! It has a lot of example texts that you can mix and match to create your own meaningful experience. I'm so excited to start planning the most important part of my wedding day!
Jessica
Nov 15, 2014 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: family, 2012
A good book that answered all our questions about planning our ceremony text on our own. We are using a friend as an officiant, so weren't expecting him to do any of the planning. We agreed that we could just keep googling ceremony text ideas, but this book presents a large number of good ideas neatly laid out in sections. A much cleaner way of doing it than just googling, and 1 of only 2 wedding planning books we used.

As a Reverend, Johnson includes a large amount of Christian text options, but
Jenn
May 24, 2010 Jenn rated it liked it
This is a great reference book for anyone planning a wedding ceremony! I didn't get ALL the way through it but it definitely had some great pointers. I checked it out because I wasn't exactly sure what was required of us in the whole planning of the vows and order of things in the actual ceremony (since then I have learned that our minister has a pretty set plan for what she does). It is a really great resource if your planning to write your own vows or are trying to avoid having a specifically ...more
Jenn
Jul 01, 2013 Jenn rated it liked it
This had a lot of really good tips for the wedding. It gave me a really good base for drafting our ceremony as well. Drafting the ceremony was something I was really worried about, and this book helped with a lot of the stress. I wasn't very enamored with the ring exchange words, however. It would have been nice to have some shorter phrases that weren't "With this ring I thee wed." (Seriously, who says "thee" anymore?!) or some online resources that could be tapped into, but between this an APra ...more
Miss Kristine
Jun 13, 2016 Miss Kristine rated it it was amazing
I used this to plan and write out my wedding ceremony. A family friend was the officiant and the whole ceremony took place outside.
Katrina McBride
May 07, 2014 Katrina McBride rated it really liked it
This was very helpful in writing my wedding ceremony. I mixed and matched some stuff with other stuff I found online but it was very helpful for structure and flow.
Lashette
Most helpful book for designing wedding ceremonies that I have come across.
Trinity McFadden
Sep 04, 2013 Trinity McFadden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My fiance and I are writing our entire wedding ceremony from scratch, and this book was immensely helpful. It gave us guidelines for coming up with an overall structure, and it provided numerous readings for every aspect of the ceremony. I'd recommend it to anyone trying to personalize their ceremony, as well as anyone who officiates!
Brooke
Jul 30, 2012 Brooke rated it really liked it
Wonderful book for personalizing your wedding ceremony. Tons of options for various faith/spirituality traditions, various elements of the big day, etc. Lots of creative suggestions to make your ceremony really special. A must-read for wedding planning if you have some flexibility with what is said and done at your ceremony.
Zachary
Oct 11, 2013 Zachary rated it liked it
helpful. You might think: "Why do I need a book? It's all on the internet." I found sitting down to read the advice and browse the options was really helpful. I of course also used the internet ... but still worthwhile.

I had never heard of the bread/wine/salt/silver polish tradition. interesting.
Kim Miner Litton
Jul 12, 2013 Kim Miner Litton rated it really liked it
We're not using everything in this book, because honestly this book does a lot of the work an officiant might do, and some things you can leave to them. However, there are great ideas here and I think it's great for people building their ceremony or for officiants.
Kelly
Jul 07, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Useful in helping think through a lot of details that you might otherwise forget about. Occasionally the author's voice is a little patronizing. TONS of alternative language for each part of the ceremony. A quick read - a few hours will do.
Rachel
Nov 25, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
I cannot even begin to say how helpful this book was when Mike and I wrote our own wedding ceremony. Johnson is an incredible source of knowledge and I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anyone else taking on the same challenging task.
Bronwyn
Aug 11, 2008 Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
Excellent resource for wedding ceremony planning. I absolutely loved all the sample scripts and readings. The author also includes lots of helpful tips and creative ideas. I'm so glad I found this book!
Amanda
Mar 17, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
We used this to plan our wedding ceremony. Super super helpful if you want to customize things. We got a lot of compilments on how well everything turned out and how sweet the ceremony was.
Christa
Apr 23, 2013 Christa rated it liked it
This was like talking to my grandma. Which is not a bad thing; it is just a very specific viewpoint. It was helpful for determining the various parts of a ceremony.
Sue (booknbeachbag)
Jul 10, 2010 Sue (booknbeachbag) rated it really liked it
This was an incredibly helpful book for trying to come up with a ceremony that feels right for us.
Nicole
Sep 29, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book if you are writing a wedding ceremony, it is such a help!!
Elizabeth
May 05, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful to me when I was planning my wedding ceremony.
Devon Steven
Feb 26, 2012 Devon Steven rated it really liked it
Exceptionally helpful if you're building the ceremony from the ground up.
Melissa
Hugo
Hugo added it
Aug 12, 2016
Tonya Olson
Tonya Olson marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Ann M OConnor
Ann M OConnor rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Jayla Foster
Jayla Foster marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Candace
Candace marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bridal Bargains: Secrets to Throwing a Fantastic Wedding on a Realistic Budget
  • Offbeat Bride: Taffeta-Free Alternatives for Independent Brides
  • A Practical Wedding: Creative Ideas for Planning a Beautiful, Affordable, and Meaningful Celebration
  • The Wedding Book: The Big Book for Your Big Day
  • The Knot Ultimate Wedding Planner
  • Altared: Bridezillas, Bewilderment, Big Love, Breakups, and What Women Really Think About Contemporary Weddings
  • Equally Shared Parenting: Rewriting the Rules for a New Generation of Parents
  • The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden
  • Which President Killed a Man?
  • Counseling with Choice Theory: The New Reality Therapy
  • Overcoming Binge Eating
  • Style Me Vintage: Clothes: A Guide to Sourcing and Creating Retro Looks
  • Eeyore's Gloomy Little Instruction Book
  • A Patient's Guide to PCOS: Understanding--and Reversing--Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
  • What No One Tells the Bride: Surviving the Wedding, Sex After the Honeymoon, Second Thoughts, Wedding Cake Freezer Burn, Becoming Your Mother, Screaming about Money, Screaming about In-Laws, Maintaining Your Identity, and Being Blissfully Happy Despite...
  • Community And Growth
  • The Conscious Bride: Women Unveil Their True Feelings about Getting Hitched
  • The Meaning of Wife: A Provocative Look at Women and Marriage in the Twenty-First Century