Start by marking “Deadline (Tina Boyd #3)” as Want to Read:
Deadline (Tina Boyd #3)

Deadline (Tina Boyd #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  1,581 ratings  ·  82 reviews
'We've got your daughter.'

It's evening, you're back late from work - and the house is in darkness.

You step inside, and the phone rings. You answer it - and your world turns upside down.

Your fourteen-year-old daughter's been taken, and her kidnappers demand half a million pounds in cash. They give you 48 hours to raise the money, and warn you that if you call the police, sh
Published July 4th 2008 by Bantam Press (first published April 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadline

Girl Afraid by Ciarán WestOn Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian FlemingThe 39 Steps by John BuchanThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Good Old British Thrillers
18th out of 103 books — 53 voters
Portrait of Guilt by Anthony HulseThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonFinding Claire Fletcher by Lisa  ReganRelentless by Simon KernickBushfire by Paul Anthony
Best Crime Thrillers
21st out of 99 books — 59 voters

More lists with this book...

Gerard Oconnell
Another good read from this writer. enjoyed very much.
Best Crime Books & More
I am slowly working my way through Simon Kernick's books ever since picking up the book Relentless. Now I have to point out that after reading Relentless which is a 10 out of 10 book, the expectation was high. I also had the misfortune of not reading the books in order of publication which I dislike doing, even if they are stand alone novels.

In this book we meet Mike Bolt, a member of the SOCA. I get the impression that he may have appeared in previous books but you still get an overall history
I actually found this book left on a train and as I had never heard of the author before decided to give it a new home for a while and rather pleased I am that I did despite it not being my typical genre.

The plot is a simple one,Andrea Deverne arrives home an empty house, as she crosses the threshold she receives a telephone call to say that her daughter has been kidnapped.Her husband is also missing, is he involved if so who can she trust? Will she ever see her alive again?

The book starts with
It's always a good sign when it's the end of the reading hour and I don't stop reading, I read for longer as I want to finish the book and find out what happened.

In this there was a little more involvement of a secondary repeat character, Mike Bolt, the case was personal for him and that was nice, well not for him obviously. I understand Kernick's series style but I do prefer characters that stick around, that I get to learn more about and see develop over time.

The main character in this book wa
4.5 Stars
Although this is touted as 'Tina Boyd 3', the story really focuses on Mike Bolt and until the very end, Tina plays only a secondary role.

The first few chapters had their ups and downs in such that the story started off with an immediate attention grabber, but the characterisation of Andrea and her former 'acquaintance' Jimmy Gallante didn't show enough depth and the dialogues just felt stilted. But, after the 'drop', things really picked up and went on at a break-neck speed until the b
Andrea Devern, big-shot business woman, daughter gets kidnapped. Kidnappers want ransom money-she gets it together but breaks the rule of "not telling someone". So when she gives them the money, they take it but don't give her the daughter back. So a second time they demand the same amount..its 2 million the way! This time the police end up getting involved and things get complicated..
I like Crime fiction, so one brownie rating for Deadline for falling under that genre. But otherwise
Asbah Shah
Hmm, it was okay. I mean i didn't like this book. When i first picked it up i thought it might have been good, especially because the blurb was so interesting it drew me in, but i was not impressed. I like crime fiction, but this book didn't really do it for me, felt like it could've been so much better.

Errmm.. so like your daughter goes missing and her captors want half a million pounds in cash, and the worst part is, you have 48 hours (which is totally impossible) and you can't call the cops o
Daniel Kincaid
This book reminded me once again why British crime and thriller authors are usually better then their American counterparts.

I mean sure, the plot is nothing really knew, not something you haven't read or seen before. But made this a great read was its fast-paced plot, great twists and turns all around, great action. I've found myself a lot of the times stopping my breath at some scenes while reading. Although I will admit I was somewhat skeptical at first while starting to read, but the book pi
Eigentlich ein recht gelungenes Buch. Mich hat der Klapptext angesprochen, deswegen habe ich es gekauft und schließlich gelesen. Es fängt mit einem Epilog an, in dem eine Frau ermordert wird und danach hört man von diesem Mord die nächsten 230 Seiten überhaupt nichts mehr, was dafür gesorgt hat, dass ich mich ständig gefragt habe, wer wurde denn da ermordet und wie passt das in die Entführung?
Ansonsten ist das Buch eine sehr typische Entführungsgeschichte: Entführung, Anruf des Entführers, bei d
Erst einmal wieder ein großes Lob an Herrn Steck, ohne ihn hätte das Hörbuch für mich viel seines Reizes verloren. Er schafft es, atmosphärisch dicht die verschiedenen Charaktere zu betonen, ohne dabei ins Lächerliche abzurutschen.

Das Hörbuch selbst erweist sich als gut strukturierter, am Anfang dadurch jedoch recht zäh beginnender Krimi, bei dem lange unklar bleibt, wer denn nun wirklich der Täter ist. Aber Struktur ist nicht alles, irgendwie bleiben die Protagonisten alle auf Distanz, weder d
Enjoyed this until the very end when I found things rather difficult to believe & rushed. The pace & twists in the plot until then kept me hooked & I read most of the book in one sitting.
Not sure whether I'll read anymore of this author's work based on this but wouldn't rule them out.
Trevor Snape
Once you start reading you will want to keep turning page after page and reading quicker and quicker. A really good story paced very fast and the main character does not always do the correct thing within the law even though he is a policeman.
Lisa Trup
Almost stopped reading this book as I didn't like the way the story was going, however, I kept reading and became hooked! Excellent, thrilling read. My first Simon Kernick book, but will be looking for more.
wonderful thriller. this book has made me thinking that i don't read fast enough because i was desperate to know what is going to happen next. gripped me right from the beginning. this book is seriously hard to put down once started reading!!
Another great book by Simon Kernick my 2nd one. Deadline was an easy but intresting read. Cant wait to start my next Kernick book.
Bev Taylor
yes but a question arpose and also the endng left me hanging

why did the kidnappers use jimmy's mobile phome to call andrea when they told her not to carry a phone? ok it was probably pre-programmed but it could have been a number for a police contact for all they knew

also at the end, what happened to andrea's business|@ did the IFS start investigating? and also the relationship between her and her partner after discovering the affair with her husband?

no idea

have e mailed the author with the
A roller-coaster of a read. This starts with a kidnapping and a lot of questions and continues through the London underworld and a lot of lies. The race is on to rescue the kidnapped girl but the question is whether or not she's still alive and who was involved in the kidnap.

It's not a bad read but I really didn't connect with any of the characters. The only character I cared for was Emma, the victim. The story did keep the tension going and I wasn't sure what was going to happen until the end.
Dennis Osborne
A very average thriller
Aymen Ben cheikh
This was my first Simon Kernick book, a good story about a woman who tries to save her teen daughter who was taken, the kidnappers want one million cash. Her new husband is also missing, is he involved? And how far can she go to save her daughter? This book was different from what i expected, the characters look real, and it s hard to put it down. I m looking forward to reading more Kernick s books.(less)
This is my 3rd read of 2010 and it was a gooden! I think I will have to take back the fact that I've said before that I hate crime novels becuase this one changed my mind. I got so into it, I read it all this Sunday. I never saw the double cross coming and I was totally wrong in my predtion of who was behind the kiddnapping. I won't spoil it for you. It was an easy read, pretty straight forward with a good plot. Would never have thought to pick this up and will be adding the rest of Kernicks boo ...more
Steve Horsfall
Another great fast paced-thriller from Simon Kernick. Deadline is superbly constructed with a gritty plot that keeps you thinking and wondering right to the end thanks to well crafted twists. Really good that DI Bolt and his team make a return and again you know that signifies complex 3-dimensional characters and no run-of-the-mill police investigation - far from it in fact. The short sharp chapters make you want to keep reading, enticing you to read `just one more' before you put it down over a ...more
Truth be told, I only read this because the print was large and I ran out of other books to read on the dig. I think one of the Oxford guys brought it? But as far as crime dramas go this one was neither intriguing nor nail-biting, with a cast about as well-rounded as a sheet of paper. The author also seemed to be unable to pick a main character we were supposed to care about. I finished Deadline in 48 hours, and boy I wish it had been over sooner.
Sen Savithri
IT is a nice Thriller very Fast paced ...and gripping
Duncan Jones
a great british thriller
Thanks to Good Read’s recommended authors I tried Simon Kernick’s Deadline... Once again it reinforces why I prefer British murder-mystery writers... fast pasted, well constructed plot, good characters... I don’t know if Kernick plans more from Mike Bolt but he was an enjoyable copper who seems to have no problems stepping over the thin blue line. The ending was a bit disappointing however unpredictable it was.
Andrea comes home after work to a terrifying phone call telling her that her daughter Emma has been kidnapped and that she must pay ransom without contacting the police. She follows orders the first time; but when the kidnappers aren't satisfied and demand more money, that's when things start to get complicated. An overall good read with an unexpected twist at the end.
Priyal Sharma
I honestly don't know how i feel about this one. The storyline could have been better. Though, Simon's writing style is excellent but the storyline was poor.
Sets off at a blistering pace when Andrea, successful businesswoman, returns home to find her teenage daughter. Phone caller demands half a mill for her return. Kernick fills the race against time with dodgy cops, victims who are suspect and villains who are horrible. At times the plot becomes a bit too clever, but it's still a page-turner.
  • The Burning Girl (Tom Thorne, #4)
  • Captured
  • Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3)
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain
  • The Colour of Death
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)
  • The Trafficked (Detective Johnny Mann, #2)
  • The Timer Game
  • Not Dead Enough (Roy Grace, #3)
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion ...more
More about Simon Kernick...

Tina Boyd (7 books)
  • The Crime Trade (Tina Boyd #1)
  • Relentless (Tina Boyd #2)
  • Target  (Tina Boyd, #4)
  • The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5)
  • Ultimatum (Tina Boyd #6)
  • The Final Minute (Tina Boyd #7)
Relentless (Tina Boyd #2) The Last 10 Seconds (Tina Boyd #5) Severed Siege Target  (Tina Boyd, #4)