Start by marking “Deadline” as Want to Read:
Deadline

Deadline (Tina Boyd #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,340 ratings  ·  72 reviews
'We've got your daughter.'

It's evening, you're back late from work - and the house is in darkness.

You step inside, and the phone rings. You answer it - and your world turns upside down.

Your fourteen-year-old daughter's been taken, and her kidnappers demand half a million pounds in cash. They give you 48 hours to raise the money, and warn you that if you call the police, sh
Published July 4th 2008 by Bantam Press (first published April 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Deadline, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadline

Girl Afraid by Ciarán WestOn Her Majesty's Secret Service by Ian FlemingThe 39 Steps by John BuchanThe Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréFrankenstein by Mary Shelley
Good Old British Thrillers
18th out of 96 books — 49 voters
Portrait of Guilt by Anthony HulseThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonFinding Claire Fletcher by Lisa  ReganRelentless by Simon KernickBushfire by Paul Anthony
Best Crime Thrillers
21st out of 97 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Best Crime Books
I am slowly working my way through Simon Kernick's books ever since picking up the book Relentless. Now I have to point out that after reading Relentless which is a 10 out of 10 book, the expectation was high. I also had the misfortune of not reading the books in order of publication which I dislike doing, even if they are stand alone novels.

In this book we meet Mike Bolt, a member of the SOCA. I get the impression that he may have appeared in previous books but you still get an overall history
Peter
I actually found this book left on a train and as I had never heard of the author before decided to give it a new home for a while and rather pleased I am that I did despite it not being my typical genre.

The plot is a simple one,Andrea Deverne arrives home an empty house, as she crosses the threshold she receives a telephone call to say that her daughter has been kidnapped.Her husband is also missing, is he involved if so who can she trust? Will she ever see her alive again?

The book starts with
Dan
4.5 Stars
Although this is touted as 'Tina Boyd 3', the story really focuses on Mike Bolt and until the very end, Tina plays only a secondary role.

The first few chapters had their ups and downs in such that the story started off with an immediate attention grabber, but the characterisation of Andrea and her former 'acquaintance' Jimmy Gallante didn't show enough depth and the dialogues just felt stilted. But, after the 'drop', things really picked up and went on at a break-neck speed until the b
Moondust
Andrea Devern, big-shot business woman, daughter gets kidnapped. Kidnappers want ransom money-she gets it together but breaks the rule of "not telling someone". So when she gives them the money, they take it but don't give her the daughter back. So a second time they demand the same amount..its 2 million dollars..by the way! This time the police end up getting involved and things get complicated..
I like Crime fiction, so one brownie rating for Deadline for falling under that genre. But otherwise
Asbah Shah
Hmm, it was okay. I mean i didn't like this book. When i first picked it up i thought it might have been good, especially because the blurb was so interesting it drew me in, but i was not impressed. I like crime fiction, but this book didn't really do it for me, felt like it could've been so much better.

Errmm.. so like your daughter goes missing and her captors want half a million pounds in cash, and the worst part is, you have 48 hours (which is totally impossible) and you can't call the cops o
Daniel Peter Kincaid
This book reminded me once again why British crime and thriller authors are usually better then their American counterparts.

I mean sure, the plot is nothing really knew, not something you haven't read or seen before. But made this a great read was its fast-paced plot, great twists and turns all around, great action. I've found myself a lot of the times stopping my breath at some scenes while reading. Although I will admit I was somewhat skeptical at first while starting to read, but the book pi
Chrissi
Eigentlich ein recht gelungenes Buch. Mich hat der Klapptext angesprochen, deswegen habe ich es gekauft und schließlich gelesen. Es fängt mit einem Epilog an, in dem eine Frau ermordert wird und danach hört man von diesem Mord die nächsten 230 Seiten überhaupt nichts mehr, was dafür gesorgt hat, dass ich mich ständig gefragt habe, wer wurde denn da ermordet und wie passt das in die Entführung?
Ansonsten ist das Buch eine sehr typische Entführungsgeschichte: Entführung, Anruf des Entführers, bei d
Phlaemmle
Erst einmal wieder ein großes Lob an Herrn Steck, ohne ihn hätte das Hörbuch für mich viel seines Reizes verloren. Er schafft es, atmosphärisch dicht die verschiedenen Charaktere zu betonen, ohne dabei ins Lächerliche abzurutschen.

Das Hörbuch selbst erweist sich als gut strukturierter, am Anfang dadurch jedoch recht zäh beginnender Krimi, bei dem lange unklar bleibt, wer denn nun wirklich der Täter ist. Aber Struktur ist nicht alles, irgendwie bleiben die Protagonisten alle auf Distanz, weder d
Johanne
Enjoyed this until the very end when I found things rather difficult to believe & rushed. The pace & twists in the plot until then kept me hooked & I read most of the book in one sitting.
Not sure whether I'll read anymore of this author's work based on this but wouldn't rule them out.
Lisa Trup
Almost stopped reading this book as I didn't like the way the story was going, however, I kept reading and became hooked! Excellent, thrilling read. My first Simon Kernick book, but will be looking for more.
Sujith
wonderful thriller. this book has made me thinking that i don't read fast enough because i was desperate to know what is going to happen next. gripped me right from the beginning. this book is seriously hard to put down once started reading!!
Tania
Another great book by Simon Kernick my 2nd one. Deadline was an easy but intresting read. Cant wait to start my next Kernick book.
Bev Taylor
yes but a question arpose and also the endng left me hanging

why did the kidnappers use jimmy's mobile phome to call andrea when they told her not to carry a phone? ok it was probably pre-programmed but it could have been a number for a police contact for all they knew

also at the end, what happened to andrea's business|@ did the IFS start investigating? and also the relationship between her and her partner after discovering the affair with her husband?

no idea

have e mailed the author with the
Deirdre
A roller-coaster of a read. This starts with a kidnapping and a lot of questions and continues through the London underworld and a lot of lies. The race is on to rescue the kidnapped girl but the question is whether or not she's still alive and who was involved in the kidnap.

It's not a bad read but I really didn't connect with any of the characters. The only character I cared for was Emma, the victim. The story did keep the tension going and I wasn't sure what was going to happen until the end.
Aymen Ben cheikh
This was my first Simon Kernick book, a good story about a woman who tries to save her teen daughter who was taken, the kidnappers want one million cash. Her new husband is also missing, is he involved? And how far can she go to save her daughter? This book was different from what i expected, the characters look real, and it s hard to put it down. I m looking forward to reading more Kernick s books.(less)
Redfox5
This is my 3rd read of 2010 and it was a gooden! I think I will have to take back the fact that I've said before that I hate crime novels becuase this one changed my mind. I got so into it, I read it all this Sunday. I never saw the double cross coming and I was totally wrong in my predtion of who was behind the kiddnapping. I won't spoil it for you. It was an easy read, pretty straight forward with a good plot. Would never have thought to pick this up and will be adding the rest of Kernicks boo ...more
Steve Horsfall
Another great fast paced-thriller from Simon Kernick. Deadline is superbly constructed with a gritty plot that keeps you thinking and wondering right to the end thanks to well crafted twists. Really good that DI Bolt and his team make a return and again you know that signifies complex 3-dimensional characters and no run-of-the-mill police investigation - far from it in fact. The short sharp chapters make you want to keep reading, enticing you to read `just one more' before you put it down over a ...more
MJ
Truth be told, I only read this because the print was large and I ran out of other books to read on the dig. I think one of the Oxford guys brought it? But as far as crime dramas go this one was neither intriguing nor nail-biting, with a cast about as well-rounded as a sheet of paper. The author also seemed to be unable to pick a main character we were supposed to care about. I finished Deadline in 48 hours, and boy I wish it had been over sooner.
Gerry
Thanks to Good Read’s recommended authors I tried Simon Kernick’s Deadline... Once again it reinforces why I prefer British murder-mystery writers... fast pasted, well constructed plot, good characters... I don’t know if Kernick plans more from Mike Bolt but he was an enjoyable copper who seems to have no problems stepping over the thin blue line. The ending was a bit disappointing however unpredictable it was.
Alejandra
Andrea comes home after work to a terrifying phone call telling her that her daughter Emma has been kidnapped and that she must pay ransom without contacting the police. She follows orders the first time; but when the kidnappers aren't satisfied and demand more money, that's when things start to get complicated. An overall good read with an unexpected twist at the end.
Robin
Sets off at a blistering pace when Andrea, successful businesswoman, returns home to find her teenage daughter. Phone caller demands half a mill for her return. Kernick fills the race against time with dodgy cops, victims who are suspect and villains who are horrible. At times the plot becomes a bit too clever, but it's still a page-turner.
Vanessa Samuel
The opening chapter was awesome but the tempo fell flat... def not the best crime thriller Ive ever read, and nowhere near as good as his previous two. It took me half the book to get into the storyline once I'd got over the initial shock of having a female lead that is and just couldnt relate to the protagonist' plight at all.
Gem
I read this book in 2 days, it was amazing. At first I thought it was going to be a very typical kidnap story, but there are so many twists that at one point I was even wondering whether the mother had anything to do with it. This is the first time I have read one of Simon Kernick's books and hopefully it wont be the last.
Karen
Great book, fast and scary in places.

Really makes you want to sit and read it to the end forgetting day-to-day life.

Gritty and believable fro such a topic.

Thoroughly enjoyed this book and was hooked.

Not keen on the ending but i won't say why and spoil it for others.

Will be hunting more books by this author.
Naomi
This book was about the kidnap of a 14 year old girl, Emma, and the struggle by her mother and the police to get her back alive.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It was action packed and there was always something going on. The ending was very unexpected. This book was easy to read and impossible to put down.
Joe Stamber
The daughter of a succesful business woman is kidnapped, etc, in this fairly run of the mill thriller. It's well written and moves along at a good pace, but there's nothing new here. I'd probably read SK again, but he's not near the top of my list. An easy, entertaining and undemanding read.
Jen
Well there's several hours of my life I'm not getting back. Really disappointed with this book. A poorly developed plot and characters I just couldn't bring myself to care about. It's my third book by this author, I've really tried to like him, but I give up now and will save my money in future.
Sue Flanagan
Typical kidnap, with couple of twists, it was ok but not one of his best.
Steven
An amazing page turner that holds your interest very well all the way through. Also thought it was better than Simon Kernick's previous 2 books (Relentless and Severed), possibly due to the reappearance of Tina Boyd!
  • In the Dark
  • Captured
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • London Calling
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)
  • Dead Tomorrow (Roy Grace, #5)
  • City of Lies
  • The Trafficked (Detective Johnny Mann, #2)
  • Badlands (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #4)
Simon Kernick (born 1966 in Slough, Berkshire) is a British thriller/crime writer now living in Oxfordshire with his wife and two daughters. He attended Gillotts School, a comprehensive in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Whilst he was a student his jobs included fruitpicker and Christmas-tree uprooter. He graduated from Brighton Polytechnic in 1991 with a degree in humanities. Kernick had a passion ...more
More about Simon Kernick...
Relentless The Last 10 Seconds Severed Siege Target