Start by marking “The Act of Marriage: The Beauty of Sexual Love” as Want to Read:
The Act of Marriage: The Beauty of Sexual Love

The Act of Marriage: The Beauty of Sexual Love

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  1,160 ratings  ·  96 reviews
With over 25 million copies in print, The Act of Marriage has helped thousands of Christian couples maximize their joy in sexual union and saved many marriages. Pastors, doctors, and psychologists have endorsed the LaHaye's practical insights.
Published March 3rd 1998 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Act of Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Act of Marriage

Thaydawg
A book about sex written by an evangelical minister made famous for writing a series on apocalyptic fiction. What’s there not to like? Probably would have liked it better if it had been a book about a fictional minister that had evangelically famous apocalyptic sex, but we can’t have everything in life can we?
Lisa
This is the best book I have ever read (or browsed, or seen) on sex in marriage. It is very tastefully done with the emphasis on family and our relationship with God. The author is a Catholic and I find his views to be almost entirely in line with my own, as an Latter Day Saint. As a scientist I was pleased with a solid biological explanation of the anatomy and physiology of male and female genitalia as well as the emotional impacts of both orgasm and sexual relationships. He takes time to answe ...more
Ashley
I love this book! I wish I got this book before I got married.

I was sexually abused as a child and even though but the time I got this book things were going well in my marriage. This book helped open my eyes to a whole lot more.

This book explains a lot about God's view and purpose of sex.

A must read for any couple. What I love about the book is has sections for couples before they get married, the honeymoon night, early years of marriage, the middle years of marriage and the later years of a
Lori Lynn
I am engaged to be married in 2 weeks. My mom and a recently married friend of mine suggested I read this once engaged. Having a commitment to purity and having my closest friends having that commitment as well, I didn't know more than the basics when it came to sex (which for someone not nearing marriage, I think this is healthy). I knew why it was important to save sex for marriage, and that was enough for me. This book has helped to prepare me to know a little more of what to expect, to help ...more
Adam
Well despite his deranged views about women basically needing to be kept in the house it was a worthwhile read. Interesting read though still would recommend Tim Keller way before this one. It is straight forward and helpful. Would say that a chapter on kegel was a little much.

He is terrible at understanding the bias inherent in his survey and also thinks of himself as a god of counseling whereby his words has fixed every known marital issue in 4 weeks or less.
Farrah Pope
Finding love

Painstakingly organized and cleverly thorough. This book reached me on so many levels. Not only does it explain the importance of sex in marriage, but it explains in detail how to be ultimately satisfied in love-making, both man and woman. If this book were the standard for sex education, I think we would have an almost zero divorce rate as well as overwhelming reduction of crime in our world (as love loss sometimes drives people to do things they wouldn't normally do). As a divorcee
OLASEMO OLADIPO A.
Good Book

Every couple should read it.

It is not just for christian folk, although Christians may reap more from its benefits.
Parvin Ngala
Perfect pre wedding gift
I decided to read this because it's a classic, and I figured it must have some worthwhile things to say. Indeed, I have to admire how groundbreaking and progressive it must've been for the time when it was written--especially in the area of female sexuality. In that regard, it still has plenty of practical relevance for married or engaged Christian couples. There were a couple of things that troubled me, though. For one, the LaHayes place so much emphasis on the importance of sexual satisfaction ...more
Kelli
I thought the information was very well done. I liked some of the things talked about or covered that you know no one else would ever tell you or write about, the LaHaye's do. I did, however, think the language of the book was kind of out dated and comical. We just don't use a lot of the terms talked about in the book. I would have related to it better, if it hadn't used such stiff language when describing something very personal. I also thought the way that Tim LaHaye writes is very confident. ...more
Joanna
A good book and lots of good information, but also fairly sexist and outdated. The beginning of the book had some good ideas and perspective, but I liked the author less and less as I read, and by the end I really didn't care for his opinions, attitudes, or advice. His writing seemed to deteriorate into blaming everything on sin, and that everything could be cured by repentance. I suppose that was par for the course for the religious establishment in his time, but in this day and age we know a l ...more
Matt Anderson
I got married last August, and a few months before the big day, the pastor performing part of our ceremony recommended this book. He said that my fiancée and I should read it separately before marriage, and then discuss it after marriage. I read most of the book before our marriage, but there was a large "question and answer" section that I just recently finished.

This book, co-written by a pastor and his wife, looks scientifically and psychologically at sex in the marriage relationship. It is a
...just when you thought you knew it all! It was good. Learned a couple new things : ) Love the concept and would definitely recommend this book to any newly wed. My Grandma says there's a book like this by Kevin Leeman that she likes better called "between the sheets".
Amy
Oct 15, 2007 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: married couples or seriously engaged and soon-to-be married couples
I was hesitant to add this book, because it is about, well, sex . . .
But I loved it. And I found it helpful and useful. Because at the heart of it, it's not just about sex. It's about how a man and a woman relate to one another in the marriage relationship. It's about why women do what they do and want what they want; about why men do what they do and want what they want. It's about meeting one another - woman meeting man in his essence, and man meeting woman the same way, and how they can make
Iain Hamill
Recommended by our minister as part of a pre marriage course, my fiancée and I both read and benefitted from this helpful book.
Justin Tapp
Would recommend Lehman's Sheet Music over this one.
Jj Burch
If you love traditional/backwards gender roles and antiquated (and wrong) views on contraception this book is for you! While I praise the authors for focusing on the fact that women can and should orgasm, I really REALLY couldn't get past the submission that is only required of women, and the contradictory views on facts/science.
Ted
This review is geared purely toward others preparing for upcoming marriage. It was first recommended to me by leaders of my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The author, however, is a pastor of some other Christian church and wrote it with his wifes help. 4 stars cuz it was very informative and stuck to good Christian values dealing with the subject, not biased or supportive of a 'free-love' mindset. I suppose it also has much to do with my general comparison of it with ot ...more
Anthony Lawson
Read this a long time ago. It was okay.
Hilary
Not at all helpful to a modern and informed Christian wanting to know more, very rigid and obviously primarily written from a male perspective (despite the co-authoring). It also skipped huge factual areas - for example, only mentioning the rhythm method but not mentioning the much more accurate Natural Family Planning.

If you aren't already married, don't know anything about the biological aspects and are from a more sheltered or withdrawn Christian community you might find it useful, otherwise
Keenan
Mar 11, 2008 Keenan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: almost married and married adults
Recommended to Keenan by: Dr. Barlow at BYU
Ok - I know this is weird to put on my list but this is truly a great book. It is written by a Christian author who tells things the way they are. I am "Miss Nieve" in a big way and this opened my eyes to what was to come. I read it about a week before getting married and have had a couple friends read it after 10 or 20 years of marriage and still learn something. We have given this to many of our engaged, newlywed and long-time married friends. A good book all the way around.
Letitia
Wow...Tim LaHaye writing advice on marriage. It ought to be enough to give one the shivers. In actuality, this book is full of really good, practical married sex information. Skip the first few chapters. They're entirely about how women really just want to keep house and have babies. But once you get past the Lahaye's manifesto, there is some wonderfully researched practical and scientific information.
Chelsea Decker
I would definitely suggest this book for any married couple. I think there's too much information for engaged couples, but nevertheless, it has information on anything you can think of, I think, when it comes to being newly married. But word of caution, it doesn't beat around the bush - it tells it like it is. And for those naive souls like me who haven't heard much, it's a lot to soak in and understand.
Lauren
Aug 28, 2008 Lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newly weds
What I thought of this book depended on my mood. The first time my husband wanted me to read it, I felt like it was telling me that I was supposed to make myself available to him whenever he wanted whether I wanted it or not. Then this year, I picked it up again for myself and appreciated more what it said - it even seemed more for the woman's needs than the man's.
Rachel
I really enjoyed this book, particularly the chapters on what lovemaking means to a man/woman and why God created sex. There were times where I thought" wow these people are old fashioned" and laughed out loud at some of the wording, but all in all it is some very valuable advice for married couples. I would recommend this book to any Christian married couple.
Jaimi
This book was recommended to me and my husband before we got married. We thought it was such a great book and handled all major topics dealing with intimacy, and in such a respectful way. This book is written by Christian husband and wife authors. We give it as bridal shower gifts to close family and friends. I think every couple should have a copy.
Spencer
i will tell you what was better than this book. a fireside lecture by the family obgyn of the then general primary president, Sister Wirthlin. She was in attendance and the discussion was amazingly frank regarding the stages of female sexual response. The Q and A that folowed was so mindblowing I still cant believe it happened.
Kimberly
The subject of sex is treated pretty tastefully and the authors try to incorporate general Christian teachings, though it is perhaps a little more explicit than is necessary.

I feel more comfortable recommending "Between Husband and Wife" by Lamb & Brinley (see my review). It's as comprehensive as needs be.

Idena
Well, I was able to read this before my wedding, so I don't know what that first night would have been like without it, but it was amazing with it! I sincerely thank my sister for giving it to me, and I'm loaning it out everywhere! There are some boring parts, but the book as a whole is very informative and extreemly helpful!
Lauren
Aug 01, 2008 Lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Married and Engaged couples
Recommended to Lauren by: Mom
Shelves: i-own
This book was very helpful. I recommend it to engaged couples and to ALL married couples. It helped me understand the different needs that a wife and a husband need. It also helped Ted and I become comfortable with discussing intimacy, something that may have been difficult without the help of this book. It was fantastic.
  • Intended for Pleasure: Sex Technique and Sexual Fulfillment in Christian Marriage
  • Between Husband & Wife
  • Intimate Issues: 21 Questions Christian Women Ask About Sex
  • Covenant Marriage: Building Communication and Intimacy
  • Saving Your Marriage Before It Starts: Seven Questions to Ask Before (and After) You Marry
  • Every Man's Marriage: An Every Man's Guide to Winning the Heart of a Woman
  • Love and War: Finding the Marriage You've Dreamed Of
  • The Book of Romance: What Solomon Says about Love, Sex and Intimacy
  • A Celebration of Sex: A Guide to Enjoying God's Gift of Sexual Intimacy
  • What the Bible is All About Bible Handbook
Timothy "Tim" F. LaHaye is an American evangelical Christian minister, author, and speaker, best known for the Left Behind series of apocalyptic fiction, which he co-wrote with Jerry B. Jenkins.

He has written over 50 books, both fiction and non-fiction.
More about Tim F. LaHaye...
Left Behind (Left Behind, #1) Tribulation Force (Left Behind, #2) Nicolae (Left Behind, #3) Soul Harvest: The World Takes Sides (Left Behind, #4) Apollyon (Left Behind, #5)