Start by marking “Fall Down, Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis and Didn't Tell Nobody” as Want to Read:

In this inspirational memoir, David "Squiggy" Lander describes how he fought to maintain his career and his life while coping with multiple sclerosis. Weaving his experiences against a backdrop of entertaining celebrity anecdotes, he offers a message of affirmation that will provide information and hope to millions of M.S. sufferers, their friends, and caregivers.
Published September 11th 2000 by Tarcher

To ask other readers questions about Fall Down, Laughing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fall Down, Laughing

Bert Edens
Being a huge Squiggy fan and having a dear friend with multiple sclerosis, I had to check this book out. And boy am I glad I did. Lander tells not only how he got into show business, but also how the characters of Lenny and Squiggy (initially, Lenny and Anthony) developed.

He also tells of how the first signs of MS appeared and how he struggled with not only the symptoms, but post-diagnosis, how he hid his MS from everyone but his immediate family. The book progresses to where he finally goes pub
Duane
Jan 22, 2011 Duane rated it really liked it
I'm very guilty of typecasting this man simply as "Squiggy", but after reading this book, I'm shocked and amazed. Mr Lander is an amazing man. With strength and intelligence, he relives his beginning stages of MS and how he hid and dealt with it. Knowing nothing about MS, David does a examplary job of telling the average person what it really means to battle this condition. Mr Landers is a hero in my book and I'm thankful he's got the courage and wisdom to share his story so others can benefit. ...more
Dale
Aug 25, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing
A great read, whether you have MS or if you're just a fan

As a kid, I always thought of Lenny and Squiggy as the two dolts that live upstairs from Laverne & Shirley. I've been watching the DVD collections of the show with my kids and I've noticed something. Usually, I grade papers when I watch TV (one of the perks, lots of papers!) and I find myself listening to Laverne & Shirley, but I stop and WATCH Lenny and Squiggy. Squiggy, in particular, is in constant motion and always doing someth
Andrew
Oct 30, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
The title of the book is very accurate ... this memoir is largely about the author / actor's discovery of his multiple sclerosis and his attempts to keep it hidden from his professional community. It's about a man dealing with an illness, its effect on his career & his family, and the decision to reveal its existance to the world - eventually.

This does not mean that you won't learn about David L. Lander, the man - you will. This does not mean you won't get a few glimpses behind the scenes of
Lisa
Mar 01, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
Enjoyable book by comic actor Davld L. Lander, best known for playing "Squiggy" in the TV series "Laverne & Shirley". He talks about his career in standup comedy, improv, TV and films, but the majority of the book deals with his learning that he had multiple sclerosis in 1984, but did not tell anyone outside his family, even his closest friends, for another 15 years since he was well aware that most Hollywood casting directors would not hire him if they were aware of his disability.

He tells
Lynnea
Mar 21, 2010 Lynnea rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, ms
Excellent book - I read it in one evening. The beginning starts out with how David Lander became Squiggy with interesting facts (like how his last name is really Landeau but he had to change it to Lander because union rules wouldn't allow two people with the same name)and then developed into his diagnosis and hiding of MS.
He shares his frustrations with the uncertainties and unpredictable nature of MS. He tells of times after walking for a while he would be so tired he needed a wheelchair but t
Terri White
Feb 26, 2014 Terri White rated it it was amazing
When I was diagnosed with MS over ten years ago, I made my husband swear to keep it a secret. So much of what David Lander writes in this book hits so close to home. It took me over a year to say the words out loud, "I have MS". And even then, I didn't want to be pitied. I am still the same person I was before! This book touches me in so many ways because the author puts into words so many of the things that I have had to deal with. I highly recommend this for anyone who has MS, has a loved one ...more
Nicole
Sep 10, 2007 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with a family member/friend with MS
Amazing! I laughed and cried and the best part, I was able to talk about MS more with my father. He's been dignosed with MS for 4 years, however my father was misdignosed and had a really hard time talking about MS to anyone because he didn't know how to feel or what to feel. Then, after reading this book, I was able to relate and understand my father a lot better. We laughed and cried and told everyone about this book. A must read!
Jim
May 09, 2009 Jim rated it liked it
Squiggy writes! David Lander details his entertainment career, how he got started with Michael McKean and Harry Shearer (some fabulous shots of Harry with long hair in the book!), his work on "Laverne & Shirley", and how he realized he had Multiple Sclerosis and proceeded to keep the information from his friends and colleagues. Lander keeps the stories flowing fast, and the book reads like an extended conversation with an entertainment insider. A quick read, and an entertaining autobiography ...more
Jonathan Long
Oct 26, 2013 Jonathan Long rated it liked it
You know, all in all I found this book depressing. This was especially surprising given the reviews of the book. As someone who suffers from this disease myself, it was hard for me to read knowing that this could be in *MY* future. All I could see was the story of how MS had ruined someone's life. David Landers is a good writer, but I'm glad this was a short book.
Margaret
Aug 10, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2005
This was a fast weekend read. Enjoyed learning more about David Lander (did you know that Lenny and Squiggy started out as Lenny and Anthony?). I also learned a lot more about MS (multiple sclerosis) of which I was woefully ignorant. Besides being such a funny guy, David Lander is a really couragous person and I admire his perservering spirit and determination to help others.
Suzanne
May 29, 2010 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Not a long book to read but enjoyable all the same.

Enjoyable book which gives us the inside story how it is to live with MS and all that goes along with it.

David Lander provides an educational book while entertaining us with his writing.
Tanya W
May 30, 2008 Tanya W rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, humorous
Humorous biographical book about David Lander's (Squiggy from Laverne and Shirley) personal struggle with MS... I really enjoyed it and felt more understanding towards those with MS. Wow, it could happen to any of us!
Gayle
Aug 01, 2011 Gayle rated it it was amazing
This is by far the best "celeb" written book on this subject. Following reading it I was invited to attend a private reception held by the MN MS Society which featured "Squiggy"...of course had my book signed :)
Susie
Mar 18, 2009 Susie rated it really liked it
I just found out a friend of a friend was diagnosed with MS a few years ago, and that reminded me of this book. (My aunt has MS.)
Pamela Angelo
Mar 11, 2011 Pamela Angelo rated it it was amazing
Love this book! David Lander has such and easy going style of writing and is an inspiration for the newly diagnosed, hope to be finally diagnosed people with MS.
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Enjoying it so far, but got lost and due back on the library. There is always another time. Got to page 58. My cat Squiggy approves of me reading about Squiggy.
Katy
Nov 09, 2009 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honest and funny. I related to this book a lot.
Shirley
Sep 13, 2009 Shirley rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book. It isn't just for people with MS.
Michelle
Jun 17, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is a very entertaining book but it is also true. I was diagnosed in 1998 and I had a lot of the same things happen. It is a must read for anyone with MS or knows anyone with MS.
Jeff Somogyi
Mar 18, 2011 Jeff Somogyi rated it really liked it
A sometimes funny, but mostly heartbreaking look at how Lander deals with his diagnosis and subsequent living with MS.
Jill Barton
Mar 27, 2014 Jill Barton rated it it was amazing
Truly enjoyed reading Mr. Lander's honest account of his fight with multiple sclerosis. I could totally relate to his reluctance letting anyone in on his secret.
Michelle Davis
Aug 23, 2013 Michelle Davis rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it!
Dalene Kolk
As a person with MS I could sympathize with David. The book is well written and interesting.
Elizabeth
Jun 03, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This is a great book. He talks about his MS and I have MS as well. I met him twice and the second time he even remembered me, which was pretty cool.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
Quick interesting read. Very inspiring!
Megan
Jun 14, 2011 Megan rated it liked it
This book really gives some insight into what it's like to live with MS. It's too bad I don't think I'd like the man very much.
Cecelia
Aug 21, 2007 Cecelia marked it as to-read
Just got it!
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Noel Winslow
Noel Winslow rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Awkward Bitch: My Life with MS
  • Multiple Sclerosis for Dummies
  • Blindsided: Lifting a Life Above Illness: A Reluctant Memoir
  • Detour: A Hollywood Story
  • Compost: The natural way to make food for your garden
  • The First Time I Got Paid For It: Writers' Tales From The Hollywood Trenches
  • I'm Walking as Straight as I Can: Transcending Disability in Hollywood and Beyond
  • Angel Girl
  • Secrets of a Former Fat Girl: How to Lose Two, Four (or More!) Dress Sizes--And Find Yourself Along the Way
  • Depression and Your Child: A Guide for Parents and Caregivers