Start by marking “Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles” as Want to Read:

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,152 ratings  ·  72 reviews
In 1981, a simple nun, using merely her entrepreneurial instincts and $200, launched what would become the world’s largest religious media empire in the garage of a Birmingham, Alabama, monastery. Under her guidance, the Eternal Word Television Network grew at a staggering pace, both in viewership and in influence, to where it now reaches over a hundred million viewers in ...more
Published May 15th 2007 by Image (first published 2005)

Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Confessions by Augustine of HippoJesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVIDark Night of the Soul by John of the Cross
Roman Catholic Reading
27th out of 292 books — 158 voters
No Surrender Soldier by Christine KohlerThe Namesake by Steven ParlatoAdventures with Jedi, Geeks, and Hobbits by Roderick VonhogenAs It Was In the Beginning by Treasa HynesMother Angelica by Raymond Arroyo
Best Religious Affairs Books
5th out of 8 books — 12 voters

More lists with this book...

Karina
The parts about EWTN remind me of another acronym, another media initiative - SQPN. Both completely rely on God's providence, feeling that they are doing God's work, and trusting that they will have enough money. There are some differences, of course.

The life of Mother Angelica is also inspirational spiritually. In that regard it reminded me of St. Therese of Lisieux somewhat. Her struggle with the librarian sister and the revelation that she needed to love her, whom she thought unlovable... Her
booklady
For many Catholics, reading this would be old news. I wish I could say that was the case for me. Sadly, I was an absentee or a half-hearted Catholic for more years than I like to remember or admit. In the 1980's, my excuse was I lived overseas. In the 1990's, I could claim I was busy with little children and seven moves in ten years. But the truth was, my faith just wasn't a priority then.

I can't remember the first time I heard of Mother Angelica and EWTN, but I sure wish I'd been more aware of
Trailhoundz
Although I have never been a huge fan of Mother Angelica's TV shows or theology-- I guess I'm part of that damnable "liberal" contingent that she despises-- I always enjoy reading about strong women in the Church. Mother Angelica certainly fits the bill. This book was very fast-paced, readable, and --much to my surprise-- inspiring. It was so moving to me, I found myself sobbing at the last page. It's definitely not written from a 'neutral' viewpoint, so I would have liked to hear other viewpoin ...more
Suzanne
This is a wonderful biography of the spunky nun who created EWTN - the world's first Catholic satellite network. Today, the Eternal Word Television Network spans the globe, but her other works of evangelism include EWTN radio (also broadcast worldwide) and building Our Lady of the Angels Monastery and Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Alabama.

The author, Raymond Arroyo is a Catholic journalist who has known Mother Angelica for years. And, because this is ultimately a work about faith, you
Gidget J.L. Barrett
I've watched Mother Angelica since the early 70's as a child, from our home across the border, in Georgia. I've always been inspired by her sheer human qualities. Mother Angelica, as with a great many nuns, women, and/or entrepreneurs has control over her mind, spirit, and body. Her faith takes care of the why's and how-comes while she just pursues the doing! A true mentor whether one is a homemaker, career woman, or a nun. My favorite sentence in the book - one I'll always remember - is that on ...more
Robert Murphy
I love this book and have read it many times. Its a great story about Mother Angelica's life from childhood to present day. The things I like about the book best are how it shows her determination and faith. She's also a good example of how if you believe in something stick to it and stand up for it and she did so without resorting to fist fights, guns or other violence. She became a great sign for orthodox catholic faith and her tv shows are love by many and the network still carries her spirit ...more
Roger Buck
Reviewed this in-depth at my blog here … http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2009/...

But will paste in some extracts about this rich, fascinating story about PROVIDENCE ...

"At the end of this remarkably interesting book, Raymond Arroyo offers two testimonies to the work of Mother Angelica – the founder of EWTN – the Eternal World Television Network, or the “world’s largest religious media empire” as the book’s dustjacket describes it.

The first testimony comes from Father Richard John Neuhaus who has
MaryElizabeth
Very well written, very engaging story and well paced. A page-turner that easily absorbed all of my attention, so much that I snipped at my husband for interrupting my reading (sorry, honey).

A true story of a woman who succeeds against all odds, save for God's grace and her faith. An interesting look, too, at one woman who embraces and reacts to the tumultuous changes in the past few decades not only of the Catholic church after Vatican II, but also of the swiftly evolving media.

Definitely a sto
Rochelle Reding
So many times we get bogged down in worrying about how difficult something will be that many of us don't even take the first step. I found this so inspiring that a cloistered nun from humble roots can accomplish so much by relying solely on her faith and unwavering belief that if she is doing God's work, he will take care of the details if she walks on the path upon which he is leading her. I did not grow up in the Catholic Church and found much of the history of the tumultuous period following ...more
Michelle
As someone who never had access to EWTN until after this book was written, it was fascinating to hear about the very beginnings. Life On The Rock is the program I recorded every week to assist me in my youth ministry, I recall many references to people mentioned in this book so it was nice to hear their story. Many mornings, I sat in my car listening to Mornings With Mother, chuckling and not wanting to exit the car until she finished her thought. I highly recommend the audio version, as you get ...more
Alicia
An amazing story that really touched me. I now want to contribute as much as possible to ewtn for offering programming that is authentically catholic. hearing the background story of mother angelica and ewtn had renewed my love for both! God bless them both! !
Micah Scelsi
A bit lengthy of a book and one has to wonder about how nice of a person this nun is sometimes, but what really comes out in this book is just an amazing story of an ordinary person who has extraordinary faith and does amazing works with God's help. Mother Angelica is an ordinary person who understands the trials that normal people go through. She did not put on airs. It is an amazing history and quite remarkable how she fought against the bishops of America to bring an orthodox faith to the peo ...more
Leftbanker
I have not read this book nor do I plan on doing so.

Great, a religious media empire. I can't imagine causing the world more harm. Why not start the world's biggest small pox epidemic or cause the world's biggest tidal wave?

And what the hell is a "network of miracles?" Since there is no such thing as a miracle does this mean that it's the same thing as a network of lies? Or maybe a network of fairy tales?

And another thing, maybe if about 99% of nuns didn't look like this busquaffalo (sp?) priests
Sara Boghdan
All I can stay is that Mother Angelica is amazing. God has done so much in her life. Her trust is beautiful!
Carmen Garland
Great inspiration, but too many facts about the logistics of how she started EWTN
Anna
There were parts that were very interesting, but overall it seemed a little over the top. This may be because I had never really heard of her or her work...apparently I'm a bad Catholic for that and in the minority. I've never seen her show or even viewed her network. If nothing else, it's the story of a tenacious woman who went through a lot to fight for what she thought was right.
Marion Tarallo
wonderful book

I learned many things about Mother Angelica I never knew. Her suffering and struggles have helped me understand God's actions in our lives and our need to always trust in God. She once again has given me an example of how to grow spiritually and become like Jesus. I felt privileged to have met her in the early 1980's and thankful that she has helped me many times in my life with words of wisdom. Thank God for her and EWTN! A must read if you want to learn how to trust and listen to
Becky Mikel
Loved it! Engaging, inspiring, and well-written!
Darren Cary
Excellent story, but I was surprised how well written it was. Arroyo is a top-rate writer, a quality journalist.
Edie
Raymond Arroyo is a great writer. This is a great story and it didn't hurt a bit that the "star" of the show wiil some day be on the fast track to sainthood. I keep my TV on EWTN.
Brice Higginbotham
This is a great story about a great woman. Raymond Arroyo did a wonderful job synthesizing a complete, entertaining, and engaging narrative. He presented Mother Angelica, as far as I can tell, with great truth. She's a saintly woman, but not a woman without her own struggles and mistakes. I was particularly aided in my own journey as I read about how Mother grew in virtue and holiness over the years. I highly recommend it for some light, inspiring reading. Main lesson: trust Jesus...completely!
Scott Nogle
This book showed me what you can accomplish with faith and determination. This woman came from nowhere and built a huge worldwide religious network. She experienced some powerful opposition, but she did not give up. She stuck to her guns. She did not lose hope. She had her calling, and she did not waver one bit. On top of it all, she never lost her sense of joy. She is a genuinely happy woman. When you see what she accomplished - and what she had to work with - you can't help but be awed.
Kristen
Super interesting. 3.5 stars
Michelle
Toni
If you're religious, you may really enjoy this book. If you aren't, you'll probably hate it. My book club picked this and I could NOT make it through the book. WAY too much about faith healing & mysticism for me.

That being said, I think for someone who is Catholic, it may be an interesting book. Just not a good book for something like a book club.
Grace
This biography was thorough, mostly sympathetic to Mother Angelica, and often moving. Mother Angelica's story is compelling, though the narrative of her long battles in the 80s and 90s with church officials does drag a bit unless you find church intrigue interesting.

Her story is an inspiring example of a life-long and single-minded devotion to Jesus.
Ledezma
This book contains a remarkable story of one nun, her personal obedience to God and the many, many, many trials she overcame! If you are in a time of discernment or questioning your faith, this awesome true story will inspire you beyond belief. Yes, it is based on a Catholic nun but if you like underdog stories you'll love this one!
Northern
I can't recommend this book highly enough. Just amazing. People who've had the harsh life that this woman had just don't turn out like Mother Angelica. Outside of the author thinking Buffalo is in upstate New York (lol) the book is flawless, in my opinion.
Maria
This was an interesting book as well but it seemed to get very repetitive and I found myself about 150 pages into it skipping half pages so I decided to read it when I have more time to really sit with a book. I have to say she was quite a fiery nun though!
Mike
Its been awhile since I read this book but I felt it was a fair tome on one of the Media people of the contemporary Catholic Church in Mother Angelica. A very good story on the start of one of the largest Catholic Media sources of EWTN.
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • Surprised by Truth
  • Milestones: Memoirs, 1927-1977
  • True Devotion to Mary
  • The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • Theology of the Body for Beginners: A Basic Introduction to Pope John Paul II's Sexual Revolution
  • He Leadeth Me
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
  • Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will
  • Love and Responsibility
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • Death On A Friday Afternoon Meditations On The Last Words Of Jesus From The Cross
Raymond Arroyo is an award winning journalist, a New York Times Bestselling author, and a producer. He is the news director and lead anchor of EWTN News; creator and host of the international news magazine The World Over Live seen in 200 million households each week. Arroyo lives in the Washington DC area with his wife and children.
More about Raymond Arroyo...
Mother Angelica's Little Book of Life Lessons and Everyday Spirituality Mother Angelica's Private and Pithy Lessons from the Scriptures The Prayers and Personal Devotions of Mother Angelica Kerman Derman and the Relic of Perilous Falls Prayers and Personal Devotions of Mother Angelica (Library Edition)