Start by marking “Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles” as Want to Read:

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  1,655 Ratings  ·  114 Reviews
In 1981, a simple nun, using merely her entrepreneurial instincts and $200, launched what would become the world’s largest religious media empire in the garage of a Birmingham, Alabama, monastery. Under her guidance, the Eternal Word Television Network grew at a staggering pace, both in viewership and in influence, to where it now reaches over a hundred million viewers in ...more
Published May 15th 2007 by Image (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Angelica, please sign up.

Karina
Apr 27, 2009 Karina rated it really liked it
The parts about EWTN remind me of another acronym, another media initiative - SQPN. Both completely rely on God's providence, feeling that they are doing God's work, and trusting that they will have enough money. There are some differences, of course.

The life of Mother Angelica is also inspirational spiritually. In that regard it reminded me of St. Therese of Lisieux somewhat. Her struggle with the librarian sister and the revelation that she needed to love her, whom she thought unlovable... Her
booklady
Mar 07, 2009 booklady rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Christians
For many Catholics, reading this would be old news. I wish I could say that was the case for me. Sadly, I was an absentee or a half-hearted Catholic for more years than I like to remember or admit. In the 1980's, my excuse was I lived overseas. In the 1990's, I could claim I was busy with little children and seven moves in ten years. But the truth was, my faith just wasn't a priority then.

I can't remember the first time I heard of Mother Angelica and EWTN, but I sure wish I'd been more aware of
Shannon
Mar 31, 2016 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to learn about Mother Angelica and the founding of EWTN
Shelves: biography, catholic
No clue when I read this one. It was forever ago. I only realized I had not entered it in when Mother Angelica passed away this Easter (03/27/16). May God bless her soul! Nobody but God knows, but I believe she passed away to the words she longed to hear from her Maker, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Raymond Arroyo brought Mother Angelica to life for me. I mean, I saw her on EWTN. I actually saw her the day she appeared looking frightful after her stroke, and her first words were "Fear n
Susan Margaret
This was a very good book. I had no idea that Mother Angelica had to battle church politics. Reading about those struggles was very sad.
Suzanne
This is a wonderful biography of the spunky nun who created EWTN - the world's first Catholic satellite network. Today, the Eternal Word Television Network spans the globe, but her other works of evangelism include EWTN radio (also broadcast worldwide) and building Our Lady of the Angels Monastery and Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament in Alabama.

The author, Raymond Arroyo is a Catholic journalist who has known Mother Angelica for years. And, because this is ultimately a work about faith, you
Gidget J.L. Barrett
Aug 23, 2009 Gidget J.L. Barrett rated it it was amazing
I've watched Mother Angelica since the early 70's as a child, from our home across the border, in Georgia. I've always been inspired by her sheer human qualities. Mother Angelica, as with a great many nuns, women, and/or entrepreneurs has control over her mind, spirit, and body. Her faith takes care of the why's and how-comes while she just pursues the doing! A true mentor whether one is a homemaker, career woman, or a nun. My favorite sentence in the book - one I'll always remember - is that on ...more
Trailhoundz
Sep 01, 2013 Trailhoundz rated it it was amazing
Although I have never been a huge fan of Mother Angelica's TV shows or theology-- I guess I'm part of that damnable "liberal" contingent that she despises-- I always enjoy reading about strong women in the Church. Mother Angelica certainly fits the bill. This book was very fast-paced, readable, and --much to my surprise-- inspiring. It was so moving to me, I found myself sobbing at the last page. It's definitely not written from a 'neutral' viewpoint, so I would have liked to hear other viewpoin ...more
rebecca
Jul 21, 2008 rebecca rated it it was amazing
I learned that miracles do still happen today!
Roger Buck
Jun 12, 2014 Roger Buck rated it really liked it
Reviewed this in-depth at my blog here … http://corjesusacratissimum.org/2009/...

But will paste in some extracts about this rich, fascinating story about PROVIDENCE ...

"At the end of this remarkably interesting book, Raymond Arroyo offers two testimonies to the work of Mother Angelica – the founder of EWTN – the Eternal World Television Network, or the “world’s largest religious media empire” as the book’s dustjacket describes it.

The first testimony comes from Father Richard John Neuhaus who has
Ann Yeong
Apr 01, 2016 Ann Yeong rated it it was amazing
Being somebody from outside the USA, Mother Angelica was not a household name for me. I got to know about her through the quotes attributed to her that people share on Facebook. One of my favourites is: "Holiness is not for wimps and the cross is not negotiable, sweetheart, it's a requirement." I would often laugh at her wit. Sometimes, a quote would strike me as so true and profound that I wondered who this woman was and what her faith story was. But I never got around to finding out... that is ...more
Jillian Garcia
Jul 04, 2016 Jillian Garcia rated it really liked it
To start off I have a bias because Mother Angelica is extremely influential in my faith formation as a Catholic. She was/is a large part of my conversion back to Our Lord. Now on to my review:
I loved learning about where Mother Angelica came from and how she grew up in Canton Ohio. It was difficult to read about all the trials in her life. This book is profoundly moving in seeing how Mother Angelica relied on God's providence for every aspect of her life. I loved her focus back to the original O
Jill
Feb 13, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Where to begin!!? Biographies of amazing people are encouraging, and Mother Angelica has to be one of the most amazing, yielded-to-God people I've ever heard of. She would be absolutely about the last person you'd think would found a monastery AND the largest Catholic television and radio network in the world. And EWTN is worldwide. She listened to God's leading and obeyed and trusted. She'd step out and take on huge projects trusting God that the money would come. And it did, over and over and ...more
Rochelle Reding
Aug 20, 2012 Rochelle Reding rated it really liked it
So many times we get bogged down in worrying about how difficult something will be that many of us don't even take the first step. I found this so inspiring that a cloistered nun from humble roots can accomplish so much by relying solely on her faith and unwavering belief that if she is doing God's work, he will take care of the details if she walks on the path upon which he is leading her. I did not grow up in the Catholic Church and found much of the history of the tumultuous period following ...more
Michelle
Mar 17, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
As someone who never had access to EWTN until after this book was written, it was fascinating to hear about the very beginnings. Life On The Rock is the program I recorded every week to assist me in my youth ministry, I recall many references to people mentioned in this book so it was nice to hear their story. Many mornings, I sat in my car listening to Mornings With Mother, chuckling and not wanting to exit the car until she finished her thought. I highly recommend the audio version, as you get ...more
MaryElizabeth
Jan 25, 2009 MaryElizabeth rated it it was amazing
Very well written, very engaging story and well paced. A page-turner that easily absorbed all of my attention, so much that I snipped at my husband for interrupting my reading (sorry, honey).

A true story of a woman who succeeds against all odds, save for God's grace and her faith. An interesting look, too, at one woman who embraces and reacts to the tumultuous changes in the past few decades not only of the Catholic church after Vatican II, but also of the swiftly evolving media.

Definitely a sto
Leftbanker
Jan 03, 2009 Leftbanker rated it did not like it
I have not read this book nor do I plan on doing so.

Great, a religious media empire. I can't imagine causing the world more harm. Why not start the world's biggest small pox epidemic or cause the world's biggest tidal wave?

And what the hell is a "network of miracles?" Since there is no such thing as a miracle does this mean that it's the same thing as a network of lies? Or maybe a network of fairy tales?

And another thing, maybe if about 99% of nuns didn't look like this busquaffalo (sp?) priests
Micah Scelsi
Jan 25, 2013 Micah Scelsi rated it liked it
A bit lengthy of a book and one has to wonder about how nice of a person this nun is sometimes, but what really comes out in this book is just an amazing story of an ordinary person who has extraordinary faith and does amazing works with God's help. Mother Angelica is an ordinary person who understands the trials that normal people go through. She did not put on airs. It is an amazing history and quite remarkable how she fought against the bishops of America to bring an orthodox faith to the peo ...more
Maggie
May 02, 2016 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic
After reading about her lifelong health woes in this book, I can't believe she only passed away this year... then again, maybe I can. A wonderful biography that touches on exactly what the title implies; How Mother Angelica came to be, the personality she became known for, and the insane creation of a Catholic television and radio network that has become an empire and an icon of the times. The author does a great job keeping the story engaging. None of the information regarding building or busin ...more
Brice Higginbotham
Apr 15, 2013 Brice Higginbotham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic
This is a great story about a great woman. Raymond Arroyo did a wonderful job synthesizing a complete, entertaining, and engaging narrative. He presented Mother Angelica, as far as I can tell, with great truth. She's a saintly woman, but not a woman without her own struggles and mistakes. I was particularly aided in my own journey as I read about how Mother grew in virtue and holiness over the years. I highly recommend it for some light, inspiring reading. Main lesson: trust Jesus...completely!
Michelle
Feb 17, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it
Toni
May 27, 2010 Toni rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned, book-club
If you're religious, you may really enjoy this book. If you aren't, you'll probably hate it. My book club picked this and I could NOT make it through the book. WAY too much about faith healing & mysticism for me.

That being said, I think for someone who is Catholic, it may be an interesting book. Just not a good book for something like a book club.
Grace
Jul 20, 2012 Grace rated it liked it
This biography was thorough, mostly sympathetic to Mother Angelica, and often moving. Mother Angelica's story is compelling, though the narrative of her long battles in the 80s and 90s with church officials does drag a bit unless you find church intrigue interesting.

Her story is an inspiring example of a life-long and single-minded devotion to Jesus.
Anna
Aug 09, 2014 Anna rated it it was ok
There were parts that were very interesting, but overall it seemed a little over the top. This may be because I had never really heard of her or her work...apparently I'm a bad Catholic for that and in the minority. I've never seen her show or even viewed her network. If nothing else, it's the story of a tenacious woman who went through a lot to fight for what she thought was right.
Conor
Jan 01, 2015 Conor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After hearing Raymond Arroyo speak, I decided to give this book a try. I had a distant respect for Mother Angelica but I can't say I was a huge fan. I am now. What a tale of faith, incredible confidence in Christ, redemptive suffering, and so much else. If you can, listen to this book because Arroyo reads it and does the voices and he is brilliant. A great story. Told incredibly well.
Ledezma
Jul 08, 2010 Ledezma rated it it was amazing
This book contains a remarkable story of one nun, her personal obedience to God and the many, many, many trials she overcame! If you are in a time of discernment or questioning your faith, this awesome true story will inspire you beyond belief. Yes, it is based on a Catholic nun but if you like underdog stories you'll love this one!
Jean Scheffler
May 03, 2010 Jean Scheffler rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Facinating picture of this womans life and what God means to her. Gets a little bogged down in the middle with religous politics but once you can get through that it is a very good read.
Roxanne
Jun 07, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
Mother Angelica was such an inspiring book. She did so much good in her lifetime, she had a huge following of believers. She started her network up from nothing and she did wonders for the Catholic faithful. I am not Catholic myself but this was a very good book.
Maria
Mar 05, 2010 Maria rated it liked it
This was an interesting book as well but it seemed to get very repetitive and I found myself about 150 pages into it skipping half pages so I decided to read it when I have more time to really sit with a book. I have to say she was quite a fiery nun though!
Mike
Mar 08, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
Its been awhile since I read this book but I felt it was a fair tome on one of the Media people of the contemporary Catholic Church in Mother Angelica. A very good story on the start of one of the largest Catholic Media sources of EWTN.
Alicia
Jul 19, 2014 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing story that really touched me. I now want to contribute as much as possible to ewtn for offering programming that is authentically catholic. hearing the background story of mother angelica and ewtn had renewed my love for both! God bless them both! !
  • Milestones: Memoirs 1927-1977
  • God's Choice: Pope Benedict XVI and the Future of the Catholic Church
  • Surprised By Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • Theology of the Body for Beginners: A Basic Introduction to Pope John Paul II's Sexual Revolution
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
  • Surrender! The Life Changing Power of Doing God's Will
  • Death On A Friday Afternoon: Meditations On The Last Words Of Jesus From The Cross
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • In the School of the Holy Spirit
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • He Leadeth Me
  • My Sisters the Saints: A Spiritual Memoir
  • The One Thing Is Three: How the Most Holy Trinity Explains Everything
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
Raymond Arroyo is an award winning journalist, a New York Times Bestselling author, and a producer. He is the news director and lead anchor of EWTN News; creator and host of the international news magazine The World Over Live seen in 200 million households each week. Arroyo lives in the Washington DC area with his wife and children.
More about Raymond Arroyo...

“When you’re concentrating on anything that’s disruptive in your life, you really don’t love anybody.” 1 likes
“—Si quieres hacer algo por el Señor… hazlo. Lo que sientas que hace falta hacer, aunque tiembles de miedo, da el primer paso hacia delante. La gracia viene con ese paso y recibirás más gracia con los demás pasos que des. Sentir miedo no es el problema; el problema está en no hacer nada cuando sientes miedo—dijo la Madre Angélica.” 1 likes