Start by marking “Dome City Blues” as Want to Read:
Dome City Blues

Dome City Blues

For fans of William Gibson, Phillip K. Dick, and Jak Koke…

Los Angeles: 2063

David Stalin was one of the best detectives in the business, running head-to-head with data-jackers, organ thieves, and the tech-enhanced gangs who ruled the shadowy streets of Los Angeles. He could do no wrong, until what seemed like an easy case got out of control, and left his wife dead among the
Published March 3rd 2011 by Stealth Books

To ask other readers questions about Dome City Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dome City Blues

Max Z
Jun 02, 2016 Max Z rated it it was ok
Shelves: cyberpunk
This book has some major believability issues in it for me. One of the important story assumptions is that people can now be digitized and ran as a program (they're called Turing scions in the book). All right, good enough. Unfortunately, if you leave them on for a week at a time, they go nuts, because time passes very fast for them (since they run fast like a real computer program should) and they go insane because a 1000 years has passed already. This sounds silly. For one thing the book says ...more
Paul
Feb 27, 2016 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberpunk
"Cinched tight around her waist was a broad black belt with leaves of ivy embroidered in metallic green thread. Her shoes were those impossibly high stiletto pumps that street kids call 'fuck-me shoes'.
She was beautiful; as beautiful as surgical boutiques & DNA-modifying viral cultures could make her.
Beautiful. Perfect. Artificial."

Like yer Cyberpunk with a generous dollop of Noir? If you enjoyed 'Blade-runner' (the movie), chances are you'll like this.

Wavering between 3 1/2 & 4 stars fo
Nancy
Nov 02, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The noir detective story with its dystopian setting and sci-fi elements was a treat due to its originality. The characters were great and drew you right into the story.
Carol and Gary Curtis
This book didn't grab me at all. At least a few portions were interesting.
Rainbowgardener
It's probably a 3.5 for readability. But for someone who reads a lot of SF, post-apocalypse, dystopian stuff and a fair amount of cyber punk, it all sounded pretty familiar. And the women characters are just window dressing, damsels in distress, bimbos with teeny-tiny waistlines, etc. Big hit of sentimentality and then and ending that isn't, when the book just stops.
Peter Backx
Oct 05, 2016 Peter Backx rated it really liked it
David Stalin has no intention of being a private detective again, but a string of gruesome murders draws him back in.

This story is set into the not-so-distant cyberpunk future when the earth's air is hardly breadable and cities have been covered by giant domes. Everything has been automated and handed over to artificial intelligence that is gaining more and more control over people.

I saw this story compared to some of William Gibson's best work. I would not go as far as that. However, it is a w
Shane Amazon
Oct 11, 2013 Shane Amazon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was first approached by the authors representative to review this book I was fully expecting to receive another in the long line of lackluster works hustled out by an upstart author and their upstart publication house. However, what I received was a compelling and masterfully written book by an accomplished author named Jeff Edwards. Having not previously known Mr. Edwards works I was curious to find out who he was and was pleasantly surprised to see he has quite the accomplished career. ...more
Charles
Jun 16, 2016 Charles rated it it was ok
This is a mashup of a modern noir story with an inept stab at cyberpunk. I note this book was copyrighted in 1995 and again in 2015. I reads like it spent 20-years on the shelf.

The core of this book has a very old fashioned, straightforward noir plot. It has the: Private Dick, the Good Bad Girl, the Pervert, etc. and it of course it takes place in The City.

Writing is workmanlike. Action scenes are well done. Descriptive text, outside of the dystopian future world, is likewise well-done. Although
William Bentrim
May 24, 2013 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dome City Blues by Jeff Edwards

John Edwards generally writes military fiction. Dome City Blues is his first entry into science fiction. In a ruined earth people of the population lives in Domes to protect themselves from the environment that they have ruined. A grieving former private detective rediscovers his life.

My only hope is that Jeff Edwards continues to write science fiction. I consider this a stellar first effort. His character, David Stalin, was developed as an eminently likable human
Julie Mink
Jun 17, 2014 Julie Mink rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. A fast moving noir style mystery set in LA in 2063. I won this book in a First Read contest on Goodreads. I was not sure I was into this genre but I have enjoyed the JD Robb books set in the future so wanted to give it a try.

Dome City Blues is a great fast pace mystery that kept me reading late into the night. If I had more reading time I would have read it straight through. What is really interesting was the author wrote it 22 years ago but never had released it. He decided not to
Mark Bigham
Sep 09, 2016 Mark Bigham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Good Stalin

A good read with a nice mix of nor and cyberpunk. David Station comes across well as the hero (anti-hero?) but there are places where he is required to ask stupid questions to advance the plot or posit information. Looking forward to reading "Angel City Blues", the next book in the series.
L.J. Bale
Mar 12, 2014 L.J. Bale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For fans of Blade runner and Ghost in the shell, this world really echos these two movies and also has the noir detective element too from Blade Runner.

The story follows a PI on his journey to track a serial killer and although this may not sound like the most original of ideas, the mystery itself, the story unfolding, the characters and sci-fi elements make this idea something that's not been done before. Each of the futuristic ideas through out the book come into play and are bought together
Melissa
Aug 26, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still in progress, but... nice little future-noir murder mystery.

----

Just finished it, and my preliminary review pretty much stands. Nicely-written little future-noir murder mystery, with a decent-sized cyberpunk streak. Rather dark, and the future projected seems... technologically unlikely in certain ways (for example, we've got acid rain pretty much solved), but it doesn't detract from the story. Engaging characters, plot twists I didn't expect, and so on. Basically, if the description I gave
Lynn Demsky
May 31, 2014 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was an interesting read because it takes place in 2063, when a retired PI is brought back to work by a client. I enjoyed it, liked how things were different in this time and yet the same and worse. Your house was computerized and could tell you anything you wanted --- where were your cigarettes, with a reminder that you're due for your Smoking Cigarette Cancer Booster shot. Let you know where you left your car keys (although neither of our cars require car keys now) - make your coffee for ...more
Shawn Dvorak
Oct 09, 2015 Shawn Dvorak rated it it was amazing
Dystopian SF really isn't many favorite, but this was excellent. Strong character development, plenty of "could-be" villains, a believable dystopian setting, all blended with a classic Mickey Spillane "lonely PI" theme make this a great read. The believability of the setting is even more impressive given that this novel was originally written in 1992 - a lot has happened to the world in the 20+ years since Edwards wrote the first version (he admits to lightly editing it before releasing it in ...more
Mark Fuller
May 25, 2016 Mark Fuller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It was a real page turner. I chose to read this book instead of watching Game of Thrones. This book was an obsession. So many books I've read have had sequels that weren't that great. This is one book that I wash there was another part

The best way to describe this book is Bosch meets Blade Runner. At the least, this was a solid hard boiled detective novel. In reality it was a well described world in the future. The characters were 3D and very believable. This book had some jui
Richard
Aug 24, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the afterward, Jeff Edwards indicates that when he wrote the novel in the early 90's it was his vision of the future. I don't think that it detracts from the novel. I liked the noir feel even though it might be considered a bit hackneyed. I felt a bit of Blade Runner in it, which is great because I enjoy the film immensely.

The writing was good and the plot was well developed. The reveal was handled well and produced one of those 'oh yeah, it all makes sense' moments. I really enjoyed this.
Jamia stewart
Jun 30, 2014 Jamia stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This book was so freaking good. I was fortunate enough to get a copy from the author on goodreads. I am so glad that I did. The main character was believable and likeable even though he was severely damaged from a tragedy. The book read like a crime novel, but the fact that it is set in the future gave it some really interesting sci-fi aspects. It had a great twist at the end that I did NOT expect. Anyone who likes science fiction, dystopian, crime, or pretty much anything should read this book.
Kathy Russo
Feb 12, 2015 Kathy Russo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly felt that Dome City Blues excelled far beyond my expectations in its portrayals that pull readers in from the very start and continues to entice them with a roller-coaster of a ride.

This book is well written and the action and suspense throughout it left me extremely satisfied. The setting and the characters are well developed.

A copy of the book was provided via Goodreads Firstreads in return for an honest review.
Misterg
Oct 25, 2015 Misterg rated it it was amazing
Really good read. The world is a mess due to pollution and more (what's new?) People are jacked into the net through implants, similar to cyberpunk novels. Add in a dash of Film Noir detectives, a war hero back story, and the ubiquitous "hooker with a heart of gold. Tie it together with lost love and you have Dome City Blues.

It's hard to believe that this was originally written in the early 90s!
Cecile
Jul 08, 2016 Cecile rated it it was amazing
A fun ride. Mix of Blade Runner noir and Altered Carbon dystopian sensibilities under your typical lone private eye bleakness. I appreciated some of the real references to blues artists. I have a couple now on my Spotify account. I found the characters decently drawn. I won't give it away here, but I found the echo of or nod to a horror classic fun as well.
George MacDonald
Mar 02, 2015 George MacDonald rated it it was amazing
Another recent ebook choice following this author's superb series of unputdownable naval thrillers.
This is the best thing I have read since William Gibson started the Cyberpunk movement.
It is dark, gritty, violent but, somehow, still compassionate, and paints a vivid if disturbing picture of what our world may easily become.
I loved it and can't wait for more.
George M
West Breen
May 31, 2016 West Breen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your average post-apocalyptic novel

First off....I NEVER read post-apocalyptic type stories. I have no idea why I did in this case. But I'm very glad I did. Sam Spade in the 21st century. Extremely well written plot and characters. Twists and turns to keep the interest of any mystery lover. And enough high tech to keep my geeky scifi side happy.
R.l.
Jun 20, 2014 R.l. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't say much that hasn't already been said in the other reviews. If you enjoy the cyberpunk, futuristic type of story, you'll definitely want to read this one. Giving it my five stars!
Time richly spent.

*FTC Disclosure: I received this book free through the Goodreads Giveaways. The opinions in this review are my own.
kenneth  h.  robinson
Los Angeles is Dystopia

David Stalin is a former special operations soldier trying to live in a dome that protects him and others from the toxic air. The folks living inside have problems in their society.
Wilco Roos
Sep 11, 2015 Wilco Roos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
This book has it all, all that i love in books that is, a SiFi surrounding, interesting tech, a great plot and an old style hard nosed detective, now i just hope he has written more of this, because i am hooked!
Oliver
Dec 04, 2015 Oliver rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story but the setting was poorly thought through with too many inconsistencies and anachronisms to really be drawn into it.
Steve
This book was written in 1992, and the technology employed is dated. But the story works as a futuristic detective novel, and I enjoyed it.
Jonny Illuminati
I really enjoyed this book from top to bottom.

Cyberpunk a la Blade Runner with even more noir and mystery built in.

I would highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys cyberpunk or mysteries.
Thomas Nugent
Aug 01, 2016 Thomas Nugent rated it really liked it
I loved this book. The characters pulled you into the story, made you a part of it. The ending did seem to happen fast and at times predictable but a great read overall.
  • Annihilation Point (The Techxorcist #3)
  • Acts of the Apostles (Mind Over Matter Series)
  • Sensation
  • Horker's Law (The Six Books of Magic, #1)
  • Cyberpunk
  • Zanesville
  • The Universe Against Her
  • Unsolved Disappearances in the Great Smoky Mountains
  • The Wizard and the War Machine (War Surplus, #2)
  • The Aliomenti Saga Box Set (Books 1-3)
  • Prescription: Murder! Volume 2: Authentic Cases From the Files of Alan Hynd
  • Tales of the Far West
  • Gestapo Mars
  • Solar Storms (Orbs #0.1)
  • Keep Mars Weird
  • Hardwired (Hardwired, #1)
  • Assault on Atlantis (Atlantis, #5)
  • Lovestar
691901
Jeff Edwards is a retired U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer, and an Anti-Submarine Warfare Specialist. His naval career spanned more than two decades and half the globe - from chasing Soviet nuclear attack submarines during the Cold War, to launching cruise missiles in the Persian Gulf. Collectively, his novels have won the Admiral Nimitz Award for Outstanding Naval Fiction, the Reader’s Choice Award, ...more
More about Jeff Edwards...