Start by marking “How Not to Date” as Want to Read:
How Not to Date

How Not to Date

On the heels of the success of How to Date in a Post-Dating World comes this polar opposite: a collection of dating nightmares that'll certainly let readers know what absolutely not to do on a date. Since the year 2000, dating columnist Judy McGuire has advised and entertained singles with her irreverent Ask DateGirl column. For every possible type of dating nightmare scen ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about How Not to Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Not to Date

Laura Hughes
Dec 13, 2012 Laura Hughes rated it it was ok
Shelves: advice
It is what it claims to be-- stories of bad dates, which can be very entertaining in a schadenfreude/commiseration kind of way. A surprising number are from the author's own personal history, and overall (with a few exceptions) they lack the sheer weirdness I would expect from a book level bad date story. A little more of a magazine tone than I like (alliteration, "fashion don'ts" etc) but entertaining enough on the subway. (As an aside, Kindle edition really mangles a book like this with a lot ...more
Alexc Comer
May 21, 2008 Alexc Comer rated it did not like it
Pretty Bad, I really like her sindicated column "Date Girl" and have followed her blog for a few years but this book I am sad to say is really weak.
Melissa
Feb 08, 2011 Melissa rated it did not like it
I thought this book would be funny, but it was just gross and disturbing.
Velvet
Sep 23, 2014 Velvet rated it did not like it
I've read more interesting dating stories in The Village Voice. There isn't enough substance for this to have been made into an entire book. Her subjects sound like the most undateable, purposely-picked, unbelievably clownish embellishers whose stories come across as disingenuous for the sake of making otherwise boring experiences seem interesting.
Tim
Jan 20, 2008 Tim rated it liked it
Okay, this was a pretty funny book. I must admit, although I have some interesting stories of my own, I can't top a few of the ones that were told in this book. In the end, I guess you could say that the best thing about this book is that it made me feel a lot better about my own dating problems (at least I never, nor have I ever had, someone poop on my bed....thats just nasty!)
Jesse
May 07, 2009 Jesse rated it it was ok
For men and women, gay or straight, it is full of advice, warnings and misadventures of people who have been there, done that, wished they hadn't and lived to tell the tale. While I wanted to say to some people "Why did you make such a stupid mistake/decision?" I also enjoyed the schadenfreude. It's great if you need a laugh or to feel better about your dating life.
Kate
Dec 30, 2009 Kate rated it it was amazing
I tore through this book in about 24 hours. SO MUCH FUN. I can't wait until Judy writes another one. She's sharp and hi-larious, and I read her Seattle Weekly column and TheFrisky pieces religiously.
Keith Davis
Oct 31, 2010 Keith Davis rated it liked it
Bad date stories with commentary and advice, mostly from the female perspective. The fact that these accounts are based on true stories makes them more sad than humorous.
Rich
Jan 06, 2008 Rich rated it it was amazing
My dating experiences are featured PROMINENTLY. Read a book by my friend writing about my dating shame (and hers, and yours, and everyone else's too)...
Dorothy
Nov 06, 2008 Dorothy rated it it was amazing
I laughed so hard I squirted diet coke out of my nose while reading this book. Oh, how it took me back to my dating days. Every word - good and true advice.
Donna
Jun 16, 2008 Donna rated it liked it
Okay, it was on the giveaway table. What can I say? But it really was quite funny, if a little crude.
Kurt
May 12, 2008 Kurt rated it it was amazing
If I'd read this book six years ago, I'd have been scared off dating for the rest of my life.
Boaz
May 17, 2010 Boaz added it
Descriptions about how dating can go bad.
Judy
May 12, 2008 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Anyone.
I wrote this—so please read it!
Paige Baselice
Paige Baselice marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Enrique
Enrique marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Jennifer Jones
Jennifer Jones marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Emma Melamed
Emma Melamed marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Andrea Assumption
Andrea Assumption marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Denise Soria
Denise Soria marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Vincent
Vincent marked it as to-read
Hoan
Hoan marked it as to-read
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Prashanthi Chennupati
Prashanthi Chennupati marked it as to-read
Tiashki
Tiashki marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Marie P
Marie P marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016