Start by marking “How Not to Date” as Want to Read:
How Not to Date

How Not to Date

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  14 reviews
On the heels of the success of How to Date in a Post-Dating World comes this polar opposite: a collection of dating nightmares that'll certainly let readers know what absolutely not to do on a date. Since the year 2000, dating columnist Judy McGuire has advised and entertained singles with her irreverent Ask DateGirl column. For every possible type of dating nightmare scen ...more
Published December 18th 2007 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about How Not to Date, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Not to Date

Laura Hughes
It is what it claims to be-- stories of bad dates, which can be very entertaining in a schadenfreude/commiseration kind of way. A surprising number are from the author's own personal history, and overall (with a few exceptions) they lack the sheer weirdness I would expect from a book level bad date story. A little more of a magazine tone than I like (alliteration, "fashion don'ts" etc) but entertaining enough on the subway. (As an aside, Kindle edition really mangles a book like this with a lot ...more
Alexc Comer
Pretty Bad, I really like her sindicated column "Date Girl" and have followed her blog for a few years but this book I am sad to say is really weak.
Melissa
I thought this book would be funny, but it was just gross and disturbing.
Velvet
I've read more interesting dating stories in The Village Voice. There isn't enough substance for this to have been made into an entire book. Her subjects sound like the most undateable, purposely-picked, unbelievably clownish embellishers whose stories come across as disingenuous for the sake of making otherwise boring experiences seem interesting.
Tim
Okay, this was a pretty funny book. I must admit, although I have some interesting stories of my own, I can't top a few of the ones that were told in this book. In the end, I guess you could say that the best thing about this book is that it made me feel a lot better about my own dating problems (at least I never, nor have I ever had, someone poop on my bed....thats just nasty!)
Jess
For men and women, gay or straight, it is full of advice, warnings and misadventures of people who have been there, done that, wished they hadn't and lived to tell the tale. While I wanted to say to some people "Why did you make such a stupid mistake/decision?" I also enjoyed the schadenfreude. It's great if you need a laugh or to feel better about your dating life.
Kate
I tore through this book in about 24 hours. SO MUCH FUN. I can't wait until Judy writes another one. She's sharp and hi-larious, and I read her Seattle Weekly column and TheFrisky pieces religiously.
Keith Davis
Bad date stories with commentary and advice, mostly from the female perspective. The fact that these accounts are based on true stories makes them more sad than humorous.
Rich
My dating experiences are featured PROMINENTLY. Read a book by my friend writing about my dating shame (and hers, and yours, and everyone else's too)...
Dorothy
I laughed so hard I squirted diet coke out of my nose while reading this book. Oh, how it took me back to my dating days. Every word - good and true advice.
Donna
Okay, it was on the giveaway table. What can I say? But it really was quite funny, if a little crude.
Kurt
If I'd read this book six years ago, I'd have been scared off dating for the rest of my life.
Boaz
May 17, 2010 Boaz added it
Descriptions about how dating can go bad.
Judy
May 12, 2008 Judy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: Anyone.
I wrote this—so please read it!
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Eli
Eli marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Corey Guadagnolo
Corey Guadagnolo marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Aliza Rivera
Aliza Rivera marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Raven
Raven added it
Mar 23, 2015
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
The Official Book of Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll Lists The Offical Book of Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll Lists