The Expression of Emotion in Man and Animals

The Expression of Emotion in Man and Animals (Masters of Modern Science)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Darwin's work of 1872 still provides the point of departure for research in the theory of emotion and expression. Although he lacked the modern research tool of cybernetics, his basic methods have not been improved upon. Lay readers, too, will be struck by the freshness and directness of this book, which includes, among other data, Darwin's delightfully objective analysis...more
Published August 14th 2006 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1872)

To ask other readers questions about The Expression of Emotion in Man and Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Expression of Emotion in Man and Animals

Meirav Rath
May 12, 2008 Meirav Rath rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians, Darwin fans, human behavior fans
Shelves: zoology
This book is more a historical document than a scientific paper, by today's requirements for scientific documents.
Darwing collects here his notes on the expressions of humans with a single chapter about animals and some referrences to monkeys, so the title is highly misleading (it annoyed me, anyways).

Despite that, this work is at the root of understanding both human and animal behavior and the three principles of expression are now evidently the base of every modern theory on animal and human b...more
Liza
Make sure you read the Paul Ekman-edited new version. Darwin, of course, is a genius, and this book seems so modern so as to be unimpressive for our era. It was ahead of its time in its cross-cultural analysis in Darwin's era, and even in the 60s Darwin's theories caused a scandal in the anthropology field between a then-established Margaret Mead, and the young Paul Ekman. Do not skip the intro, where this fascinating meta-story is told!
Catherine O'Sullivan
Warning: if you read this book in a public space - like, say, a Subway - you will absent-mindedly start contorting your face in line with the facial expressions described in this book.
Philippe Malzieu
For everybody, Darwin is only associated wit the theory of évolution. By this book, the last one, he is also one of the father of éthology, the science of animal comportment.
He defines 6 elementary feelings which are for him universal in the animal kingdom. Things evolved. There are now computing tools to model the feelings. The eyebrow plays a major role in this expression. Darwin had noted its relative immobility to the chimpanzee. According to Popper, it would contradict the theory.
We know...more
Mengsen Zhang
Darwin was definitely a genius! This book reveals him as an ultra observant naturalist and have great imagination and abstraction. Among the three principles of expression, the 2nd- the principle of antithesis - reminded me a lot of ancient greek thoughts, e.g. unity of the opposites, - and a much neglected point by modern neuroscientists.
Nonetheless, one thing he struggled too much about is to find *one* or *only a few* reasons for the origin of the expression of a specific emotion. I may thin...more
Mamdouh Abdullah
أنا لا أتمتع بسرعة كبيرة للفهم أو للبديهة … وقدرتي على متابعة سياق طويل وتام التجريد من الأفكار محدودة جداً .. و لكني أتفوق على النسق الشائع من الناس في مقدرتي على ملاحظة الأشياء التي تغيب بسهولة عن الانتباه, وعلى مراقبة تلك الأشياء بدقة.
تشارلز داروين.

من الإصدارات المميزة للمنظمة العربية للترجمة هو كتاب العالم البريطاني تشارلز داروين التعبير عن العواطف عند الإنسان والحيوانات The Expression of Emotions in Man and Animals بترجمة مميزة للدكتور محمد الشيخلي, أستاذ الفيزياء الحيوية بجامعة بغداد. الدا...more
Prooost Davis
When presented the theory of evolution, Darwin's contemporaries were willing to agree with it up to a point, but many people still wanted to believe that humans were a special case (uniquely created by God), much too advanced intellectually and morally to be related to the lower animals; others were upset that the theory said that Europeans were related to races they considered savage. Darwin wrote this book, as well as "Descent of Man," to demonstrate the similarities in behavior between man an...more
Kio
I don't think I'm ever going to finish this cover to cover so here goes...

Good book. Obviously not a story, but it's a fascinating observation of how emotions are expressed. Darwin well documents where all his deduction comes from, if he suspects the credibility of anything and why... and so on. If you're studying Enlightenment/Humanities/anything along those lines, it's also a good firsthand look into the MO and influences of thinkers of the time.

Nevermind how notable Darwin is.
Abdullah
آااااه .. وأخيرا" انتهيت من تناول عشرة كيلوغرامات من الشحوم والدهون الثلاثية! ربما الكتاب ليس بهذه الدسامة لكنه أوائل الكتب العلمية الصرفة التي قرأتها مما دعاني لهذا الإحساس.

الكتاب يحتوي على نظريات تفسر إنحدار بعض التعبيرات عند الإنسان من الحيوانات الأقل رقيا"، كما يفسر منشأ أو أصول البعض الآخر استنادا" إلى مبادئ ثلاثة عامة في التعبير يحاول شرحها في الفصول الأولى من الكتاب. ويتحدث الكتاب أيضا" عن النواحي الفيزيولوجية لمختلف مظاهر التعبير الجسدي عند الإنسان وبعض الحيوانات.

عادة"، طالما كنت ذلك الش...more
Tony
Darwin, Charles. THE EXPRESSION OF THE EMOTIONS IN MAN AND ANIMALS. (1872; this ed. 2008). ****. This edition was a Folio Society reprint of the first edition with an introduction by Steven Pinker, and enhanced by the original plates plus additional plates and drawings taken from the Darwin collection at Cambridge. It is difficult to give any reasonable idea of the scope of Darwin’s studies as presented in this book, but a quote from the introduction will give you some idea. “Why do we shrug? Wh...more
Moad
كتاب فسلجة بإمتياز. أهتم بطرق وأسباب التعبيرات في الإنسان والحيوان عن طريق مبادئ ثلاثة عامة في التعبير هي مبدأ العادات المقرونة بالفائدة ومبدأ النقيض أو الأطروحة المضادة وأخيراً مبدأ الفعاليات المسببة عن الجهاز العصبي والمستقلة تماماً عن الإرادة وإلى حد ما عن العادة. كشف الضوء على بعض التعقيدات في الجهاز العصبي لدينا أو حتى في الحيوانات مثل إذا طرأت حالتان ذهنيتان بنفس الوقت, أو بتعاقب متناغم في ترددها أو شدتها فإن الحالة الأولى تكون كافية لإستدعاء الحالة الأخرى سواء رغبنا فيها أو لم نرغب. وهناك...more
Bob Nichols
In this book Darwin writes mostly about the overt expressions of emotions, not about their evolutionary function or, for that matter, what constitutes an emotion (versus sensation, feeling, affect, passion). And, at times, it's not clear if Darwin is describing an emotion itself or its expression. The value of this book, following his "Origins" and "Descent" books, is that Darwin suggests a universal innateness in certain human emotional expressions and their close tie to the non-human animal wo...more
Simone Fernandes Delgado
I find remarkable the way in which Darwin addressed the universality of a character so apparently subjective as emotion in humans (and animals). It surely agrees with his "Evolutionary mindset" but it is quite original for his lifetime cultural and social contexts to compare the western "civilized" societies to the "savage" ones in the way he attempted to.

I see scientific and historical value of this book. Some have misused the Darwinian ideas on "struggle for life", particularly applied to hum...more
Kelly
This book is definitely worth reading for its historical interest value (to see how early research into emotions was conducted) and to see the thoroughness of Darwin's observations, especially the great deal of work he puts into cross-cultural investigation, given the limited resources at his disposal. However, some of his explanations seem almost silly in light of what scientists know today. For example, in some places he refers to increased heart rate caused by some emotions as coming from hab...more
Steve
I confess I had no intention of reading the Expressions of Emotions in Man, and purely lifted this volume in order to peruse the Autobiography. Having read both Origins and Descent of man I am well used to Darwin’s laborious style of dialogue and could not face another of his scientific treatise.

The Autobiography is short (about 80 pages) and was intended as a letter of sorts for his children. It contains, perhaps surprisingly, more than a little humour. The early parts concerning his childhood...more
Melissa
Darwin's meticulous documentation of variation and context is on display in this rich text on expressions of emotions in humans and animals. Darwin is a close observer of his world, and a generous author. It is difficult to take this book in at once, but it was Darwin's intention for readers to refer to it often rather than reading it cover to cover at once. And this seems obvious from the incredible amount of details that goes into each observation and described emotion, from the hunch of a dog...more
Gerhard Kleynhans
This work by Darwin shows his qualities as a scientist. It presents a scientist with deep and wide knowledge hard at work using exceptional observational skills to meticulously document and interpret his own observations and data available to him. The work is therefore educational as a study of scientific method in its own right.

Designers of robots with humanoid features may also find this work by Darwin to be a useful reference for factual information as well as method in this field of study.
Valerie
This book made my skin crawl, frankly. I never had any doubt that human emotions were the same as 'animal' emotions, and were often expressed the same way. But Darwin's description of his research strategy reveals appalling cruelty in the way animals (particularly zoo animals) were treated in the Victorian era--there are several descriptions of how animals resond to being beaten, for example.
Patrick
Reading the book made me like Charles Darwin. He came across as a good man who loved his big family and his dogs.

It also gave me a little more respect for modern science as Darwin used Shakespeare, antidotes from doctors of the day, and his observations to speculate a great deal on emotions and their origin. Apparently a good deal of it turned out to be correct as well.
Krystal
First reading of Darwin. I recognize that this was written over a century ago, but the un-summarized French passages and extensive sentence structuring makes it difficult to read. However, I find myself continually entranced by the content and do indeed find myself trying to replicate certain expressions as discussed.
Alex Brightsmith
What I love about this book, so far, is the author shining through. And the Darwin who shines through is not Darwin the grand Victorian beard. This is Darwin still showing signs of being the young man his father despaired of, Darwin rough and tumbling with his terrier and playfully teasing his hound.
Stephen
I think right-wing lunatics hate Darwin because he pointed out deep truths about the nature of things... when really if you read this book, you will see how the truths expressed are more important than ones found in many "holy books". This is a holy book.
Miklos
As a historical scientific subject, it should be appreciated from the eyes if Darwin and not as a contemporary model of human expressions. That being said, it is fascinating and is a good read on a specific facet of the theory of evolution.
Lauren
One of my least favorite by Darwin. This book read more like an extremely long scientific journal than a novel. A bit tedious and repetitive. This book breaks down the three categories of expression as outlined with detail and many examples.
Valorie
this book has amazing meticulous observation by darwin and his contact all over the world on the universality of our expression of emotion like the anry face or the hunch of the shoulders. also the similarities in animals.fascinating!
Tom Lichtenberg
Darwin, like all great scientists, was an extraordinary observer. His studies and analyses of the emotional life of animals are still as fascinating and astounding today as ever.
Andrew
Not the best of Darwin, in my humble opinion, although some very interesting observations and suggestions on human expressions and their origins.
Janille N G
Chapters 1-3, 13

Check out my literary blog for reviews!
سُكينة
لم يكُن سيئاً، إلا أنهُ ليس من نوع الكتب التي أفضلها.. ثمّ إنني شعرتُ بالملل من التكرار.
  • On Aggression
  • What the Face Reveals: Basic and Applied Studies of Spontaneous Expression Using the Facial Action Coding System
  • Darwin: The Life of a Tormented Evolutionist
  • The Malay Archipelago
  • Symbiotic Planet: A New Look at Evolution (Science Masters)
  • Primates and Philosophers: How Morality Evolved
  • What Evolution Is
  • Life: A Natural History of the First Four Billion Years of Life on Earth
  • Natural History: A Selection
  • Darwin's Origin of the Species: A Biography
Charles Robert Darwin was an English naturalist, eminent as a collector and geologist, who proposed and provided scientific evidence that all species of life have evolved over time from common ancestors through the process he called natural selection. The fact that evolution occurs became accepted by the scientific community and the general public in his lifetime, while his theory of natural selec...more
More about Charles Darwin...
The Origin of Species Voyage of the Beagle The Descent of Man The Autobiography of Charles Darwin, 1809–82 On Natural Selection

“Blushing is the most peculiar and most human of all expressions.” 44 likes