Romeo and Juliet-Together (and Alive!) at Last

Romeo and Juliet-Together (and Alive!) at Last

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Pete Saltz, the pudgy poet from S.O.R. Losers, has fallen hard for Anabell Stackpoole, and she likes him, too. But both are much too shy to do anything about it. It's Pete's friend Ed Sitrow to the rescue, as he and other eighth-graders at South Orange River School cook up a scheme to give the budding romance a boost. The school production of Romeo and Juliet stars the bas...more
Published September 1st 1988 by Perfection Learning (first published 1987)

My first thought when I came across an Avi book as a kid was—“Superheroes write books?” Hehe…I had a thing for masked crusaders (still do). Something about the single name screamed SUPER and in many ways Avi is a superhero. He captivates readers left and right with humor, hijinks, mystery, chills, intelligence, and fun. The man can do it all!

Sooooo when I spotted this gem at a book sale over the weekend, I scooped it up, ran home, and read it cover to cover in one giggle-fest sitting. :)

This tal...more
Ragan
Very cute and laugh out loud funny book. I read this to my husband out loud and we both enjoyed it. A bunch of kids put on the play Romeo and Juliet to try to maneuver their two friends into kissing each other.
Amanda Holmes
I am reading the book Romeo and Juliet Together (and alive) at Last. I think that it is a really good book so far. It is about two people, one of them is Peter Saltz. Perter is in love with a girl named Anabell Stackpoole and is sad to admit it to her because she doesn't ever notice him. Then Peter's friend Ed hosts a play to get Saltz and Stackpoole together, it is the play Romeo and Juliet and of course they have to kiss. Then Ed get's a lot of his friends together and tell them who to vote fo...more
Pandora
A sequel to S.O.R losers in which Peter Saltz has fallen in love with Anabell. The problem is the two are so shy they will not even look at each other much less talk to each other. Ed Sitrow comes up with the solution of having the two star in production of Romeo and Juliet. Trouble ensures because they have only two weeks to put on the production and their Tybalt is not acting the enemy of Romeo he is the enemy of Peter.

It was fairly funny but, I have read funnier books. Some of the humor seems...more
Books Kids Like
Ed Sitrow's best friend, Pete Saltz, loves Anabell Stackpoole. Unfortunately, Pete and Anabell’s shyness keeps them apart. So, Ed teams up with classmate Lucy Neblett who also wants to help the ill-fated romance. While studying "Romeo and Juliet" in literature class, Ed and Lucy decide that the eighth-grade should put on the play with Pete cast as Romeo and Anabell as Juliet. Then, the two star-crossed lovers would not only have to look at each other and talk, they would have to kiss! With the p...more
Rebecca
When Pete tells his best friend Ed that he (Pete) is in love with the mousy Annabell Stackpoole, but neither of them can even look at each other, much less talk, Ed decides to do something about it. The 8th grade is reading Romeo and Juliet, so Ed decides that he and his classmates should stage an abbreviated version of the play, casting Pete as Romeo and Annabell as Juliet, so they'll have to kiss. What could possibly go wrong?

Since our school staged this last fall and I have all those visuals...more
April Suter
A cute middle-school story of a buddy helping his best pal by creating a Romeo and Juliet play within two weeks organizing it so that the best pal and the girl he is in love with are the main characters. Read for the giggles, because what can go wrong will probably go wrong :-)

123 pages
Julie
We laughed ourselves sick. This book is a juvenile fiction book about some 8th graders who are trying to be matchmakers for their very shy friends. The scheme is to set the two up as Romeo and Juliet in a shortened version of Shakespeare's famous play. The kids do the play entirely on their own--absolutely no adult supervision, and write, rehearse and produce their play in 2 weeks. If you are familiar with the actual dialogue of the original Romeo and Juliet, you will laugh yourself silly. I wil...more
Stephanie Tom
Hilarious through and through. I could not stop laughing the entire time I was reading this! And when I'll have to read it in 9th grade, I'll probably be laughing in my head then, remembering this book.
Lisa the Librarian
A follow up to S.O.R. Losers. I liked this slightly better because the children are working on their own project with their own ideas. It might help that this is about a play and I am way more of a drama person than a sports person.

I liked the inventiveness of the students and the persistence that the "show must go on" despite the disasters they experience. Bravo!

Not Avi's best work but cute.

My one complaint is that while the writing level is about 4th grade the subject matter touches on middle...more
jacky
I read this in early middle school. Unlike all the other young adult books that were recommended for me or classics assigned to me, this book was easy and light. It didn't contain any heavy topics like drug abuse or kidnapping. It was just a fun little romance story. I really enjoyed that wasn't teaching me about some big issue, that it was short and easy to read, and that it was about shy people, because I was shy, but interested in romance.
Palorca
The reason why i like this book is because it is about love and because romeo the main character dies with Juliet just because he says he couldn't live without the love of his life and so he preferred to die with her. One thing i don't like about this book is that their love was to obsessive and i think it is too much. Also some of the characters in this book prohibit Juliet to be romeo.
I have a signed copy of this young adult novel, and I thank Avi every day for writing this tale of junior high love acted out on the stage. It created a drive in me to learn more about theatre, and formed the impressions that allowed me to believe anything is possible through this particular art form. Thanks, Avi, you don't know it, but you gifted me my career.
Carol Hardesty
This was a pretty cute book. It kinda reminded me of the "Hey Arnold!" episode where Helga and Arnold play the lead roles in their school's production of "Romeo & Juliet" (anyone else?). The part I remember most was the kiss scene when the balcony falls apart and 'Juliet' falls on top of 'Romeo'. And all 'Romeo' can say is, "That was some kiss!" =D
Amanda Fashbaugh
Jan 07, 2008 Amanda Fashbaugh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a giggle
Theater and young love from an eighth grade boy's POV? Sign me up! Written at a level that any adult can finish it in less than an hour, this book is worth a read for the program of the play alone. It helps if you know Romeo and Juliet a little, because some of the mistakes are funniest when compared with the solemnity of the source material.
Nathan James
Pete likes Anabell. Pete's friend, Ed, decides to make their relationship happen, so he conjures a plan to put-on a production of Romeo and Juliet casting Pete and Anabell in the title roles and his other friends in the rest of the production. The humor relies pretty heavily on knowing the major scenes of the play, but it's enjoyable if you do.
Katherine
So funny! I would consider having students read this (or at last parts of it) after studying the play "Romeo and Juliet." Often times, the actors in the play fumble up the original lines. Its both entertaining and also educational as kids could maybe try to catch as many lines as they could.
Logan
I actually really liked this book. It was laugh out loud funny! If you want a quick read with a light hearted storyline chose this. It is about a group of 8th graders who find out two of their friends like each other but won't admit it. They put on a play so they will kiss.
Waffle...♥
LoL It was pretty okay.. I kinda got bored at some parts but this book is pretty much about a wrecked up Romeo and Juliet stage play :D Probally all the worst things that could happen during a play.. lol.. I loved the ending though! <33 :P

Jenna
This is definitely a younger reading level but I think younger kids wouldn't understand it, so it is about 11 - 12 age group. I liked how it was so funny and how Romeo's friend was totally clueless
Ang
This book was hilarious! If you like "The Best Christmas Pageant Ever" you'll crack up with this one. Definitely a book to read to junior high kids or anyone who had a crush in junior high. Funny.
Jada
I picked this up from the library when my English wasn't that good. I found it very simple yet funny and interesting! I wondered why school books couldn't be as good as this
Wanda
A book about kids putting on a school play so that two classmates will "go steady." Not a bad book. Kids might enjoy this one if they are putting on a school play.
Maggie V
A very quick read. I didn't get involved with the characters as much because it was so short and quickly paced. But still a fun book.
CLM
I have mixed feelings about Avi, due to a careless error in Beyond the Western Sea, but this is a cute story for 4th or 5th graders.
Maggie
My school is doing this for the school play - oh my goodness, it is so funny. I'm excited to perform it.
Christina
Cute and refreshing. Seems a lot different (more lighthearted) than other books I've read written by Avi
Asenath
Really cute book. Light and entertaining. Audience was more for 6th graders. Ending was cute.
Janae
this book is SOOOOOOOOO awesome and ed is a guy. in the beginning i thought he was a girl.
María Cevallos
Read this book in one night, my only reading feat ever. So very lovely and interesting.
  • What Child Is This?: A Christmas Story
  • I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery
  • The Star Fisher
  • The Catalogue of the Universe
  • Losing Joe's Place
  • The Girl Behind the Glass
  • Sammy Keyes and the Night of Skulls (Sammy Keyes, #14)
  • Remember Me to Harold Square
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Attaboy, Sam!  (Sam Krupnik, #2)
  • 5 Novels: Alan Mendelsohn, the Boy from Mars / Slaves of Spiegel / The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death / The Last Guru / Young Adult Novel
  • Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Someday Angeline, #2)
  • The Pinballs
  • Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel
  • The Enormous Egg
  • Words of Stone
  • The Tapir Scientist: Saving South America's Largest Mammal
  • Wishing for Tomorrow: The Sequel to A Little Princess
Avi is a pen name for Edward Irving Wortis, but he says, "The fact is, Avi is the only name I use."
Born in 1937, Avi has created many fictional favorites such as The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, Nothing but the Truth, and The Crispin series. His work is very much desired by readers young and old.
More about Avi...
The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle Crispin: The Cross of Lead (Crispin #1) Nothing But the Truth Poppy (Tales of Dimwood Forest, #1) The Seer of Shadows