Start by marking “Margaret Thatcher, Vol. 2: The Iron Lady” as Want to Read:
Margaret Thatcher, Vol. 2: The Iron Lady

Margaret Thatcher, Vol. 2: The Iron Lady (Margaret Thatcher #2)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The first volume of John Campbell's biography of Margaret Thatcher was described by Frank Johnson in the Daily Telegraph as 'much the best book yet written about Lady Thatcher'. That volume, The Grocer's Daughter, described Mrs Thatcher's childhood and early career up until the 1979 General Election which carried her into Downing Street.

This second volume covers the whole
Published November 1st 2007 by Vintage (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Margaret Thatcher, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret Thatcher, Vol. 2

James
Apr 05, 2008 James rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Before coming to power, Margaret Thatcher paid a visit to Yugoslavia, where she had a meeting with President Tito. The conversation turned to China, where Chairman Mao's widow had recently been stirring up trouble for the leadership. Tito remarked that he disapproved of women interfering in politics. "I don't interfere in politics, " declared his guest, eyes ablazing, "I AM politics."

Therein can be found both the secret of Margaret Thatcher's success and the seeds of her downfall. Her supreme c
Spencer Warner
Dec 18, 2015 Spencer Warner rated it it was amazing
Easily the most comprehensive biography of any political/historical figure I've come across. Campbell gives an extraordinarily balanced view of MT, so regardless of your opinion of her you will be able to find evidence to back up your respective arguments. A bit long winded at times, as you can imagine with a 928 page book, with several sections only worth analyzing if you were doing a dissertation on the Thatcher years. That said, if you want to now anything and everything about Britain 1979-90 ...more
Nicholas
Mar 09, 2012 Nicholas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: post-1945, thatcher
This is by far the best and most thorough biography of Margaret Thatcher yet to appear, superseding Hugo Young's effort. I was almost going to write 'definitive' but of course Campbell has not had access to the state archives of her time as Prime Minister, locked away under the thirty year rule, or Thatcher's private papers held at Cambridge University. Instead he has relied on memoirs, diaries, newspapers and broadcast media to analyse Thatcher and her premiership.

Campbell writes from a centris
Pat Evans
This is an exhaustively researched book, but that's its only merit. The book told me a lot more about the author and his narrow viewpoint than it did about Mrs.Thatcher. Campbell didn't give me any real idea of how revolutionary the Iron Lady was. Instead the larger picture is bogged down in petty details (some of which are incorrect, I.e. Mrs. Thatcher did not object to a modern version of the Union Jack on the tail of British Airways planes but to the misguided use of ethnic symbols). The writ ...more
Brad
Oct 27, 2012 Brad rated it it was ok
I picked this book because I was interested in learning more about Lady Thatcher. Her story is pretty amazing but Campbell's attempt to tell it comes off as petty and sexist. He refuses to give her credit for any of her achievements (i..e Falklands War, reviving the economy, being the longest serving PM in the 20th century, etc.) and always mentions her gender. All I wanted was an engaging, unbiased look at her life and times (see Caro and Morris). Instead, the reader gets what borders on a part ...more
Jonathan
Jun 26, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this take very much!
Kate
Learned a lot from this. Kind of timely, reading about the Tories destroying Labour and dominating for 10 years (and Labour having to change significantly to get elected again). I wonder how long it will take for the Liberals to recover.
Christian Caryl
Apr 13, 2013 Christian Caryl rated it really liked it
Probably the best and most comprehensive Thatcher biography. The author brings a healthy skepticism to his subject, yet never loses sight of the imperative to explain why Thatcher proved to be such an influential force.
Sarah Little
Jul 19, 2013 Sarah Little rated it liked it
An interesting read, I now feel like I understand more about this era. It was slightly overly detailed for my liking and took a long time to get through, however overall I enjoyed it.
Jane Hodgkiss
Brilliantly written, giving an honest and ubiased review of Mrs Thatcher's years in power. An inspiring book of a British legend.
Þórir Málfríðsson
Þórir Málfríðsson rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Chantal
Chantal marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2016
Josefina Garat
Josefina Garat marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Erika Emerson
Erika Emerson marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
DY
DY added it
May 23, 2016
Marijke Schenk
Marijke Schenk is currently reading it
May 10, 2016
Merlyn Wright
Merlyn Wright rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Peter Daniel
Peter Daniel rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Marijke
Marijke rated it liked it
May 07, 2016
JM
JM marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Federico Frasca
Federico Frasca marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Michele Ricci
Michele Ricci marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Abhijeet
Abhijeet marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
James
James rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
James Armstrong
James Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Dan Ocampo
Dan Ocampo marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Lorna Neal
Lorna Neal rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Olesya
Olesya marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
  • The Third Man: Life at the Heart of New Labour
  • Songs of Blood and Sword: A Daughter's Memoir
  • The Tudor Age
  • Pol Pot: Anatomy of a Nightmare
John Campbell (born 1947) is a British political writer and biographer. He is a graduate of the University of Edinburgh. His works include biographies of Lloyd George, Roy Jenkins, F.E. Smith, Aneurin Bevan, Edward Heath, and Margaret Thatcher, the last consisting of two volumes, The Grocer's Daughter (2000) and The Iron Lady (2003). A one-volume abridgment prepared by David Freeman (a historian o ...more
More about John Campbell...

Margaret Thatcher (2 books)
  • Margaret Thatcher, Vol. 1: The Grocer's Daughter