Start by marking “Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah” as Want to Read:
Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah

Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah (Classics of Western Spirituality)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  411 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
One of the great masterpieces of Western religious thought, the Zohar represents an attempt to uncover hidden meanings behind the world of appearances. It's the central work in the literature of the Kabbalah, the Jewish mystical tradition. This volume of selected passages from the Zohar, culled by the greatest authority on Jewish mysticism, offers a sampling of its unique ...more
Published February 7th 1995 by Schocken Books (NYC) (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Zohar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zohar

Jeffrey Cohan
Dec 13, 2010 Jeffrey Cohan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, judaism
No book in Judaism is subject to more misperception than The Zohar, the central text of Kabbalah,

Contrary to popular perception, The Zohar is not a coherent explanation of Kabbalistic thought.

Rather, The Zohar is simply a commentary on the Torah, albeit a mystical one.

Today, even your neighborhood Barnes and Nobles stocks several books with Kabbalistic themes. But for a peek at the real Zohar, it’s hard to beat scholar Gershom Scholem’s slender “Zohar: The Book of Splendor.”

While Scholem wrote a
Lightsey
I forgot that I went through this last summer. I didn't read it, exactly, but I did what I could. Very interesting the way the scholars carve up syntax, turning relative pronouns into questions and prepositional phrases into nouns. Suffice it to say I'm not a mystic, so I found the method more interesting than the matter. . . mad reading, creative reading.
Jim
This slender volume has deepened my appreciation of the hidden wisdom contained in the Old Testament. I want to read more on the subject of the Kabbalah.
Greg
Jun 15, 2007 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: judaism, mysticism
This is a good book to use for an introductory class on Zohar. The selections of the Zohar presented are well translated and it includes a helpful commentary.

Zohar itself is a mystical and philosophical text presented in the form of Midrash. Each midrash on a given verse or verses of the Bible can be read at multiple levels. As Daniel Matt suggests in the Introduction of this book. Perhaps the best way to read the Zohar is just to read it, let it blow your mind, and get out of it what you get ou
Lauren
Jan 14, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting. I'm sure I'll never understand the Kabbalah (I'm probably too old to even start trying) but there were several interesting bits in here giving me a different perspective on religion as a whole and Judaism in general. Once again I find myself thinking that if I did have to pick a "culturally acceptable religion," I'd probably be a Jew.
J.
Mr. Matt is, of course, the translator; he is not, so far as I know, identical to the thirteenth-century Spanish Rabbi Moses de Leon, the Zohar's soi-disant editor and likely author.

Marcus Matossian
Dec 28, 2009 Marcus Matossian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book out of curiosity from the university Library and found it quite amusing to read and make connections between it and other beliefs.
Justin
The translation seems good, but the commentary seems to fall short of higher truth signified by the text in parts.
Terra Bosart
A more simple introduction to the Zohar and Kabbalah, good for beginners or people looking to learn what the Zohar is.
Samuel Holcombe
Jul 16, 2014 Samuel Holcombe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
hey 'christians,' check out yr history. for proverbs fans
yamiyoghurt
Sep 23, 2012 yamiyoghurt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I loved the introduction by Andrew Harvey.
Brian Bulfer
Jan 26, 2008 Brian Bulfer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
major inspiration for my new body of work
Arthur Gershman
Nov 21, 2012 Arthur Gershman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth the price for the cover illustration.
carl
Apr 19, 2007 carl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
dated but still a good introduction.
Red
Jun 01, 2016 Red rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: think-pink
This is deeper than deep
Flameater
Good introduction but skimpy
david blumenshine
Nov 01, 2012 david blumenshine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Jeannette Bland
May 29, 2008 Jeannette Bland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
amazing.
Adam Oliver
Adam Oliver marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Kathryn Ann Woffod
Kathryn Ann Woffod rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Moriah Fischer
Moriah Fischer rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Chris Craddock
Chris Craddock marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Chaim
Chaim rated it it was amazing
Dina Eylon
Dina Eylon rated it it was amazing
Wolf
Wolf marked it as to-read
Alexander Green
Alexander Green marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
John Hall
John Hall rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Jean E.
Jean E. rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
  • On the Kabbalah and Its Symbolism
  • Sefer Yetzirah: The Book of Creation: In Theory and Practice
  • The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism
  • The Kabbalah Unveiled
  • God Is a Verb
  • Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius in a New English Translation, with Notes and Introduction
  • The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse on the Essence of Jewish Existence and Belief
  • Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures
  • The Desert Fathers: Sayings of the Early Christian Monks
  • Messengers of God: Biblical Portraits and Legends
  • The Tree of Life: An Illustrated Study in Magic
  • Orthodox Psychotherapy
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

Classics of Western Spirituality (1 - 10 of 88 books)
  • The Lights of Penitence, the Moral Principles, Lights of Holiness, Essays, Letters and Poems
  • Albert and Thomas: Selected Writings
  • Anchoritic Spirituality: Ancrene Wisse and Associated Works
  • Angela of Foligno : Complete Works (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Cherubinic Wanderer
  • Apocalyptic Spirituality: Treatises and Letters of Lactantius, Adso of Montier-En-Der, Joachim of Fiore, the Franciscan Spirituals, Savonarola
  • Athanasius: The Life of Antony and the Letter to Marcellinus (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Selected Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Selected Works