Start by marking “Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah” as Want to Read:
Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah

Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah (Classics of Western Spirituality)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  330 ratings  ·  14 reviews
One of the great masterpieces of Western religious thought, the Zohar represents an attempt to uncover hidden meanings behind the world of appearances. It's the central work in the literature of the Kabbalah, the Jewish mystical tradition. This volume of selected passages from the Zohar, culled by the greatest authority on Jewish mysticism, offers a sampling of its unique ...more
Published February 7th 1995 by Schocken Books (NYC) (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Zohar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zohar

Jeffrey Cohan
No book in Judaism is subject to more misperception than The Zohar, the central text of Kabbalah,

Contrary to popular perception, The Zohar is not a coherent explanation of Kabbalistic thought.

Rather, The Zohar is simply a commentary on the Torah, albeit a mystical one.

Today, even your neighborhood Barnes and Nobles stocks several books with Kabbalistic themes. But for a peek at the real Zohar, it’s hard to beat scholar Gershom Scholem’s slender “Zohar: The Book of Splendor.”

While Scholem wrote a
Lightsey
I forgot that I went through this last summer. I didn't read it, exactly, but I did what I could. Very interesting the way the scholars carve up syntax, turning relative pronouns into questions and prepositional phrases into nouns. Suffice it to say I'm not a mystic, so I found the method more interesting than the matter. . . mad reading, creative reading.
Greg
This is a good book to use for an introductory class on Zohar. The selections of the Zohar presented are well translated and it includes a helpful commentary.

Zohar itself is a mystical and philosophical text presented in the form of Midrash. Each midrash on a given verse or verses of the Bible can be read at multiple levels. As Daniel Matt suggests in the Introduction of this book. Perhaps the best way to read the Zohar is just to read it, let it blow your mind, and get out of it what you get ou
Lauren
Very interesting. I'm sure I'll never understand the Kabbalah (I'm probably too old to even start trying) but there were several interesting bits in here giving me a different perspective on religion as a whole and Judaism in general. Once again I find myself thinking that if I did have to pick a "culturally acceptable religion," I'd probably be a Jew.
john
Mr. Matt is, of course, the translator; he is not, so far as I know, identical to the thirteenth-century Spanish Rabbi Moses de Leon, the Zohar's soi-disant editor and likely author.

Marcus Matossian
I read this book out of curiosity from the university Library and found it quite amusing to read and make connections between it and other beliefs.
Justin
The translation seems good, but the commentary seems to fall short of higher truth signified by the text in parts.
Terra Bosart
A more simple introduction to the Zohar and Kabbalah, good for beginners or people looking to learn what the Zohar is.
Samuel Holcombe
hey 'christians,' check out yr history. for proverbs fans
yamiyoghurt
I loved the introduction by Andrew Harvey.
Brian Bulfer
major inspiration for my new body of work
Arthur Gershman
Worth the price for the cover illustration.
carl
dated but still a good introduction.
Flameater
Good introduction but skimpy
Ellie Lynn
Ellie Lynn marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Daniel Pearson
Daniel Pearson marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Sokolg
Sokolg marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Aldo Avila
Aldo Avila marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Theresa Barkasy
Theresa Barkasy marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Juli Durakovic
Juli Durakovic marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Danny Klopovic
Danny Klopovic marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ari
Ari marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
  • On the Kabbalah and Its Symbolism
  • The Essential Kabbalah: The Heart of Jewish Mysticism
  • Sefer Yetzirah: The Book of Creation: In Theory and Practice
  • The Kabbalah Unveiled
  • God Is a Verb
  • Hermetica: The Greek Corpus Hermeticum and the Latin Asclepius in a New English Translation, with Notes and Introduction
  • Tales of the Hasidim, Vols 1-2
  • The Thirteen Petalled Rose: A Discourse On The Essence Of Jewish Existence And Belief
  • Giordano Bruno & Hermetic Tradition
  • Messengers of God: Biblical Portraits and Legends
  • Back to the Sources
  • A Garden of Pomegranates: Skrying on the Tree of Life
  • The Book of J
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
  • The Life of Moses
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

Classics of Western Spirituality (1 - 10 of 88 books)
  • The Lights of Penitence, the Moral Principles, Lights of Holiness, Essays, Letters and Poems
  • Albert and Thomas: Selected Writings
  • Anchoritic Spirituality: Ancrene Wisse and Associated Works
  • Angela of Foligno : Complete Works (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • The Cherubinic Wanderer
  • Apocalyptic Spirituality: Treatises and Letters of Lactantius, Adso of Montier-En-Der, Joachim of Fiore, the Franciscan Spirituals, Savonarola
  • Athanasius: The Life of Antony and the Letter to Marcellinus (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Selected Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Selected Works
  • Berulle and the French School: Selected Writings
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights Holy Bible: New International Version The Epic of Gilgamesh The Bhagavad Gita