Start by marking “A Dog of Flanders” as Want to Read:
A Dog of Flanders

A Dog of Flanders

Published in 1872, and adapted into films many times in the years since, this tragic story of a poor Flemish orphan, Nello, and his faithful dog, Patrasche, has won a devoted following around the world for its clear-eyed depiction of the struggles of an artist amidst crushing poverty.
Published June 20th 2007 by Book Jungle (first published 1872)

Amber
Jan 18, 2015 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooksiown
This is about a boy named Nello and his dog named Patrasche who lived in a small village with their grandfather. Nello dreams to become a great artist and enters a piece in the village's local art contest. Will he win and be able to get the respect of his peers? Read this book for yourself and find out.

This was a pretty good and sad book. I found the book for free at http://www.gutenberg.org and watched an anime film from 1997 by the same name which was pretty good that you can watch on Youtube.
Krista Baetiong Tungol
It was by chance that this book suddenly came to mind as I browsed the list of books tagged under Goodreads’ Classics category. I watched the Japanese anime series adaptation of A Dog of Flanders as a kid, and if I hadn’t seen the movie The Land Before Time beforehand and witnessed a character die for the first time, Nello and Patrasche’s story would have been the very first children’s narrative to ever shatter my faith in “happily ever afters”.

Reading the original story now made me realize that
May 23, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie, Wanda
Recommended to Laura by: Dagny
Free audiobook available at LibriVox.

Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

Opening lines:
Nello and Patrasche were left all alone in the world.
They were friends in a friendship closer than brotherhood. Nello was a little Ardennois—Patrasche was a big Fleming. They were both of the same age by length of years, yet one was still young, and the other was already old. They had dwelt together almost all their days: both were orphaned and destitute, and owed their lives to the same hand. It had
Heena Rathore P.
Oct 31, 2016 Heena Rathore P. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, classics

This book is so beautiful and well-written that it completely ripped my heart open and left me weeping. The ending was so sad and I was left feeling miserable missing my own deceased GSD.
I listened to the audio book and it is the first audiobook that I finished, so this book is pretty speacial to me.
If you want to read a beautiful classic novella, this book is the perfect choice.

PS:I'd like to thank Dagny for reco
Neil (or bleed)
Tragic. Tragic. Tragic.
Dana
Sep 08, 2012 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I decided to read this. I knew it would break my heart cause I've seen the anime movie SO many times. I also saw the live action but that ending is totally different from the anime/book.

I do wish the ending would have been ending like in the live action film....but at the same time you can see why its probably better the way it is originally.

The anime film makes me want to cry and the book was the same. Its such a sad story but so good! Its one of those things you read and then
Koen Crolla
Nov 12, 2016 Koen Crolla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This story is well-known the world over apart from in Flanders itself (except among the people who live within viewing distance of the fairly recent statue in Hoboken and the ones who remember that Suske en Wiske album, I guess). It's a good and sensitive story, however, that is sure to traumatise your sprogs in a way they will consider formative.
Ouida doesn't seem to have paid much attention during her visit to Flanders, though, and appears to have assembled her version of it (or rather Brabant
Nagisa
Oct 15, 2013 Nagisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, 1850-1899
This tale is very famous in Japan, and I'm glad that I finally got to read it.

As I was reading it, I felt as if I was treading on the hard, cold road, through the snow, with the winter wind piercing my heart, with sorrow leadening every step.
Still, it was a touching, heartwarming story.

Ouida frequently uses parallelism, sometimes alliteration, and I love her writing style as well as the story itself.
Carolien
Jan 23, 2016 Carolien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, classic, 2016
This is such a wonderful, sad tale. I loved the simplicity of the narrative. It is also a timeless story of the limitations imposed on individuals by their circumstances and remind us how much kindness and ugliness can be found in this world.

Highly recommend it.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story and yet, such a sad and tragic story too. Definitely not a book of those who hate sad endings.
Kenneth
Apr 30, 2015 Kenneth rated it liked it
I don't remember which edition of Ouida's book I read when I was 10 or 12 - probably a cheap Scholastic Book Club version - but I'll never forget the impression its tragic ending made on me. I'd read stories that made me feel sad before, of course - Velveteen Rabbit and Charlotte's Web among them. Maybe because this was a longer read, I got more deeply into it, and the effect was all the more devastating. I submitted a poem to my Sunday school kid's magazine (about an LSD trip, as a matter of fa ...more
Jasmin
I first knew the story through a Japanese-animated, Korean-dubbed movie and I would never forget the tears shed on the many days I watched it over and over again.

When I finally got my hands on the book, my expectations were pretty high. It did not disappoint. The story is so simple yet written with a lot of heart, creating such complex emotional depths that it was hard not to feel for Nello and Patrasche's plights.

Even though the story can be a bit sappy or unrealistic, take that with a grain o
Wanda
May 29, 2014 Wanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those with Strong Sense of Entitlement
Recommended to Wanda by: Laura
29 MAY 2014 -- read over lunch today .

I forgot Light in the Ruins today and so I read this over lunch today. Big mistake as this book reduced me to a ball of tears. I adored this story; however, it has broken my heart. You can literally feel the love the three main characters have for each other. I must go now as I am crying again.
Oliver
Jul 11, 2016 Oliver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nello. Patrasche. "Let us lie down and die together. Men have no need of us, and we are all alone." There.
Anton Bockaert
May 22, 2017 Anton Bockaert rated it it was amazing
Damn ninjas cutting onions )':<
Granny
Mar 14, 2017 Granny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a profoundly sad story. I wept.
Herman Gigglethorpe
Some books must be better in translation. At least that way, you don't have to read Ouida's original prose. If this book weren't so short, I'd throw it at a wall. The narration is repetitive, so repetitive. The book would be half its already tiny length if the author had an editor.

A Dog of Flanders is an obscure book in English, but it is popular in Japan to the point where most people who have heard of the story think of the anime adaptation rather than the novel. It's a schmaltzy story of an o
Corley
Dec 16, 2010 Corley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reread for the first time in just over four years - I cried again.

Several years ago, I watched the 1997 anime movie The Dog of Flanders and was rendered an absolute emotional mess, so I soon after decided to read the original material. And though it is short, and initially may come off as quite unassuming, this novel packs with it mighty force. The tale of Nello and the faithful Patrasche is one that touched me to my core not only for the goodness of their relationship, but for the strength each
Gale
This European tear-jerker is considered the first modern dog story, published in 1872, by an Englishwoman of French extraction. Ouida, as she called her literary alter-ego, obviously traveled in the Low Countries, for she is conversant with both the Flemish people (city life, country life, general customs) and the foibles of human nature. The tale is frankly sentimental; one wonders if she is making a plea for social reform or communal conscience. I suspect that this story was not well received ...more
Gale
Inseparable Companions in Life—and Death

Published in 1872 this European tear-jerker is considered the first modern dog story. Written by an Englishwoman of French extraction the author chose the simple name of Ouida as her literary alter-ego. Amazingly knowledgeable about the Flemish people, their countryside and cities, she depicts their customs and demonstrates understanding of human nature. This tale is frankly sentimental, but one wonders if she is also making a case for social reform--try
Ilse
Feb 06, 2011 Ilse rated it liked it
A dog of Flanders vertelt het verhaal van Nello en Patrasche dat in 1872 werd geschreven door de Britse schrijfster Ouida. Het verhaal speelt zich af in Antwerpen en de streken daarbuiten, maar kende vooral bijval in Japan, waar het onsterfelijk werd dankzij een anime-reeks die in 1975 gespreid over een jaar werd uitgezonden. Deze reeks was zo succesvol dat ze 20 jaar meeging en Japanse bezoekers van Antwerpen nog steeds aanzet tot een zoektocht naar sporen van hun Vlaamse "helden".
Dit boek beva
Laura Verret
Jul 27, 2009 Laura Verret rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Ever since Pastrache, the shaggy black Fleming dog, came to live with them, Nello and his grandfather have felt nothing but love and trust for the huge dog. Although poor, the three of them live happily together in their tiny cottage living off the meager penance Nello and Pastrache earn by peddling milk in the village.

But Nello has no wish to be a farmer – what he loves is art! Painting! The glorious intricacies of the masters’ works! He has even entered a painting into a local contest. If he w
Yuina Kawase
Patrasche, who understood him well, would get up and put himself in front of the wagon and go over the snow through the fields. If my dog would do the same things, my heart will be warm and full of thanks. When Nello and Patrasche were left conpletely, I think it was so cold and lonely.
Even if we live in poorest house, there are yhings to eat and drink, laughing and love. I have feeling that our hearts will be warm just with the things.
Patrasche was their everything-their joy, their guard,
J.R. Barker
Aug 09, 2013 J.R. Barker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tale
I found this to be an incredibly sad and beautiful tale about the bond between a dog and his owner.

Nello, a young boy, and his aged grandfather save the life of a working dog called Pastrache. With nothing but each other in the world they strive to survive, and with hard work and the help of their neighbours they just about manage.

That is until Nello gets on the wrong side of the Baas and the locals have no choice but to turn against them.

Then their hard life becomes harder and they find it toug
Momoko Fujigaki
(4)Life with Jehan Daas
(5)Alois and her father
(6)The life without Jehan Daas
(7)Leave this world together
4.a)Patrasche's master did not help him but only kicked and beat him, as usual.
b)I felt anger to this stupid man! Patrasche was so tired and he couldn't push the wagon amymore. However, a man kicked him… I could't believe that.
5.This book was the longest book I've ever
bakanekonomama
Jadi dulu pernah nonton sebuah anime, tentang seorang anak lelaki dan anjingnya yang bikin saya terenyuh dan merasa pilu. Setelah dicari-cari, ternyata anime itu didasarkan pada karya klasik berjudul "A Dog of Flanders". Lalu, mulailah perburuan saya mencari bukunya. Sempat dapat ebooknya, dan berkat teman saya yang tinggal di Jepang, sekarang saya dapat buku fisiknya. Bahasa Inggris tentu.

Dan, menangislah saya membaca kisah bocah lelaki bernama Nello, Patrasche tua, dan juga kakeknya ini.

Kala
Risa Horiuchi
Jan 16, 2014 Risa Horiuchi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ladder series level 2
1/15 120 minutes

Dog church milk art friend’s death grandfather wallet

Did you spend the Xmas in the church or have go church.
I spend the Xmas on the house with family and friends every year.
But I long for spending the church on Xmas and sing a song.

I just know the last scene on the church with the moon and this story
Impress me. But I don’t know the reason this time I know the reason.
I don’t spend the sad Christmas I want to give the Nero the food and blanket.
I was surpri
Andre Tan
A Dog of Flanders is good, it tells about the friendship and the sad life of a dog and a poor boy. Then again, this book is not the way some Japanese literature made it out to be.

I kind of forgot what book made me read this one; I have actually had this for some time before actually dipping myself in.

The book is short, and I think it does not delve deep enough to the matter at hand. I think there is something that can be done in order to really take some people to go along with the emotion Marie
Natsuki Kanbe
Jun 15, 2016 Natsuki Kanbe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. Ladder series, level 2

2. 90 minutes

3. dog/ boy/ poor/ money/ church/ Christmas/ sad

4a. The boy got up with a low cry and put his arms around Patrasche. "Let us lie down and die together," he said. "Men have no need of us, and we are all alone."

4b. I really felt sad to read this scene. Nello and Patrasche are best friend and family. The last scene is so sad, but they could be together untill they died, so I think it was happy for them.

5. I knew the title, but I haven't read and watch the anima
Miyabi
Oct 08, 2012 Miyabi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-r-l-3rd
60min

7words. Christmas cry alone wallet death god shining

Q1. Before Christmas old man died. Nello and Patrasche cried for him from the depths of their hearts. Have you cried like that ?

A1. When I had a quarrel with my best friend,Risa I cried for long long time and thought it was the end of the world She was the biggest person who give me immeasurable good influence.

Q2. When old heard man, Baas Cogez realized he did bad to the boy, the boy was dead. Too late. Recently what do you have something
  • Kholstomer
  • The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
  • The Little Colonel
  • Tom Sawyer, Detective (Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, #4)
  • The Body Owner's Handbook (Horrible Science)
  • The Dead Alive
  • The Berenstain Bears Save Christmas
  • The Home Ranch (Little Britches, #3)
  • Mother West Wind's Children
  • Michael Faraday, Father of Electronics
  • Buttered Side Down: Short Stories
  • Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel With the Wrinkled Knees
  • Big Backpack - Little World
  • Panter
  • Wet Dog!
Ouida was the pen name of the English novelist Maria Louise Ramé (although she preferred to be known as Marie Louise de la Ramée).

During her career, she wrote more than 40 novels, children's books and collections of short stories and essays. She was an animal rights activist and animal rescuer, and at times owned as many as thirty dogs. For many years she lived in London, but about 1874 she went t
More about Ouida...

“Death had been more pitiful to them than longer life would have been. It had taken the one in the loyalty of love, and the other in the innocence of faith, from a world which for love has no recompense and for faith no fulfillment.” 3 likes
“All this while the little panel of pine wood remained over the chimney in the mill-kitchen with the cuckoo clock and the waxen Calvary, and sometimes it seemed to Nello a little hard that whilst his gift was accepted he himself should be denied.” 1 likes