Start by marking “A Dog of Flanders” as Want to Read:
A Dog of Flanders

A Dog of Flanders

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Published in 1872, and adapted into films many times in the years since, this tragic story of a poor Flemish orphan, Nello, and his faithful dog, Patrasche, has won a devoted following around the world for its clear-eyed depiction of the struggles of an artist amidst crushing poverty.
Published June 20th 2007 by Book Jungle (first published July 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog of Flanders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dog of Flanders

May 27, 2014 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie, Wanda
Recommended to Laura by: Dagny
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.

Opening lines:
Nello and Patrasche were left all alone in the world.
They were friends in a friendship closer than brotherhood. Nello was a little Ardennois—Patrasche was a big Fleming. They were both of the same age by length of years, yet one was still young, and the other was already old. They had dwelt together almost all their days: both were orphaned and destitute, and owed their lives to the same hand. It had been the beginning of the tie between
Bonnie
This book really touched my heart in many ways. It has more of a deeper meaning for me personally, as I found a very old paperback copy of it in an old bookstore in Virginia and gave it to a very dear friend whom I love and care for very deeply.

I am always hesitant to read books which have animals as main characters, only because they tear at my heartstrings in such a powerful way and this book held true to that. Animals, and children, they are so loyal and loving and giving, very selfless in t
Wanda
May 29, 2014 Wanda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those with Strong Sense of Entitlement
Recommended to Wanda by: Laura
29 MAY 2014 -- read over lunch today .

I forgot Light in the Ruins today and so I read this over lunch today. Big mistake as this book reduced me to a ball of tears. I adored this story; however, it has broken my heart. You can literally feel the love the three main characters have for each other. I must go now as I am crying again.
Ilse
A dog of Flanders vertelt het verhaal van Nello en Patrasche dat in 1872 werd geschreven door de Britse schrijfster Ouida. Het verhaal speelt zich af in Antwerpen en de streken daarbuiten, maar kende vooral bijval in Japan, waar het onsterfelijk werd dankzij een anime-reeks die in 1975 gespreid over een jaar werd uitgezonden. Deze reeks was zo succesvol dat ze 20 jaar meeging en Japanse bezoekers van Antwerpen nog steeds aanzet tot een zoektocht naar sporen van hun Vlaamse "helden".
Dit boek beva
Gale
Inseparable Companions in Life—and Death

Published in 1872 this European tear-jerker is considered the first modern dog story. Written by an Englishwoman of French extraction the author chose the simple name of Ouida as her literary alter-ego. Amazingly knowledgeable about the Flemish people, their countryside and cities, she depicts their customs and demonstrates understanding of human nature. This tale is frankly sentimental, but one wonders if she is also making a case for social reform--try
Momoko Fujigaki
(4)Life with Jehan Daas
(5)Alois and her father
(6)The life without Jehan Daas
(7)Leave this world together
4.a)Patrasche's master did not help him but only kicked and beat him, as usual.
b)I felt anger to this stupid man! Patrasche was so tired and he couldn't push the wagon amymore. However, a man kicked him… I could't believe that.
5.This book was the longest book I've ever
J.R. Barker
I found this to be an incredibly sad and beautiful tale about the bond between a dog and his owner.

Nello, a young boy, and his aged grandfather save the life of a working dog called Pastrache. With nothing but each other in the world they strive to survive, and with hard work and the help of their neighbours they just about manage.

That is until Nello gets on the wrong side of the Baas and the locals have no choice but to turn against them.

Then their hard life becomes harder and they find it toug
Noriho Motokawa
1.ladder level2
2.10/1=90
3.Nello Patrasche friends life die money people
4.a)All their lives they had been together, and in their deaths they were not divided.
b) Their friendship will last forever. I was impressed.
5. This book still sad even after reading it many times.
Risa Horiuchi
Ladder series level 2
1/15 120 minutes

Dog church milk art friend’s death grandfather wallet

Did you spend the Xmas in the church or have go church.
I spend the Xmas on the house with family and friends every year.
But I long for spending the church on Xmas and sing a song.

I just know the last scene on the church with the moon and this story
Impress me. But I don’t know the reason this time I know the reason.
I don’t spend the sad Christmas I want to give the Nero the food and blanket.
I was surpri
Braeden Udy
Charming and surprisingly beautifully written. I loved the movie as a kid so I was really interested in reading the book.
Lorena Rodriguez
I liked this one, not a lot, but liked it
Corley
(The version I'm reading/read had only 104 pages. I got it from the McComb library) ;)
I watched the anime movie first done by Pioneer, and I bawled. Seriously. And I knew the book would be different, and I'm glad they didn't change much when they adapted it.
This book, to me, is one of the sweetest I've ever read. It just cries, "love, loyalty, and innocence." It's a fast read and it's adorable, and I actually didn't cry. I nearly did though, haha!
Shouta Takao
1 hour

seven words:Antwerp,boy:grand fathar,dog,family,live,happy

Questions:
Q1:Do you have any animal for a pet? Can you think that they are your family member?
A1:Yes. In my hometown, we have a cat, and she is same as our family.

Q2:If you were a dog and your owner kicked and beat you, can you give up the idea of escaping and follow your owner?
A2:Maybe I will follow my owner to the very end. I want to do all I can for my owner who feed me.
ちえ

4/22 80min level? Publisher:Nanundou
7words weak/snow/love/sad/church/France/art

Q.What do you associate the name of France?
A.I associate it with the Eiffle Tower. I have never been to France, so I want to go to France, especially Paris.

I was impressed by this story. I think that Nello is bound to Patrasche by ties of firm friendship. I recommend the story becouse a heart is warm.
Daiki Yamaguchi
1.Nello 2.No 3.Parents 4.Grandfather 5.Patrasche 6.Christmas 7.Died

Q1.Do you have any pets or have you ever had any pets? If yes, what is that?

Q2.Have you ever read this book or seen on TV?
John Darling
This is a most amazing little novella. The cruelty shown by the humans in it is outweighed by the love of a great dog despite the stories tragic ending.
Andrew
This book is about a boy who is very poor and has a dog to go where ever he goes to keep him from getting lonely .
James
This book is sad but interesting. It shows relationship between a boy and a dog who help each other.
VJ
This book still manages to grip my heart and tear it to shreds after 20 years. An all-time fave.
Bryan
An absolute must read for any child. If you don't cry, you are a robot.
Big Fam
Big Fam marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Lei Alegre
Lei Alegre marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Marty Pallmieri
Marty Pallmieri marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Morty
Morty marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Maegie
Maegie marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Jekka
Jekka added it
Oct 03, 2014
Leen
Leen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Natsuki Eguchi
Natsuki Eguchi marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
A Dog of Flanders (Dover Children's Thrift Classics) A Dog of Flanders Under Two Flags Dog of Flanders & Other Stories A Dog of Flanders and Other Stories. by Ouida. a New Edition, Etc.