Start by marking “Make It Happen: The Hip-Hop Generation Guide to Success” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Kevin Liles rose from intern to president of Def Jam Records in only nine years. Today, at age thirty-seven, he is executive vice president of the Warner Music Group and has helped discover and direct the careers of stars such as Jay-Z and Ludacris.Liles' meteoric climb from urban street kid with hip-hop aspirations to one of the most successful and influential executives ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Atria Books (first published September 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Make It Happen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make It Happen

Marc Abraham
At the times, "Make it happen - the Hip Hop generation guide to success" felt a bit like everything in Kevin Liles' was a combination of planning and hard work. I can imagine that part of Kevin's professional success was down to random events and making the most of those events.

However, I did enjoy reading Kevin's stories and stories from coming through the ranks at Def Jam.
Paul
I've got to be honest about this one... I bought it in the bargain area. Kevin Liles tells his story in an easy to read manner and is very successful at both motivating and teaching others ways to succeed. Liles rose from an unpaid intern at Def Jam to the eventual president of that company and later the VP of Warner Music. He's a hard working and incredibly intelligent guy, but at the same time both very cool and seemingly very kind. It's about the music industry, but this one's as much about b ...more
Nandi Crawford
I bought the book just before I got to meet the man in Mobile at our local junior college two years ago right after Katrina. He was quite inspirational, but there were more folks there who wanted to get into the business than folks who was just interested in reading the book and taking his advice. I found it to be hip, cool, informative and quite empowering.
Josh McConnell
Though it is more of a biography, Kevin Liles' Make It Happen is a very interesting read. It goes through the tale of him being successful in a cut throat industry and doing it an unconventional way. Definitely some takeaways can be found, but more or less it is just interesting seeing the path he took to make it to the top. I enjoy it from start to finish.
Kiersten
This is a great book for those who take the unconventional route to a successful career. Kevin is able to use "real talk" to get his point across that you own a larger part of your destiny then you think. Great message and it did a great job motivating me.
Kameka
Oct 26, 2008 Kameka marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-i-own
I haven't read this yet although I got the book for free 3 years ago when the company I was working for was co-host of the book release party. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days.
Jeff
Kevin liles was the president of defjam records. this is his story of how he got to the top, and how you can be successful in the corporate world. Brought up very good points.
Hector
Kevin Liles is a successful man in his own right, but I couldn't really relate to his tips for success. Some of his stories made up for my lack of connection.
Diane Haines
ok, stop laughing at me...i work with guy...had to check it out
William
My favorite book, it speaks so much wisdom.
Maxo Marc
I loved this guys personal story: inspirational.
Skyler Vander Molen
Skyler Vander Molen marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Morgan Dobbins
Morgan Dobbins marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
David Bradford
David Bradford marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Thia Rose
Thia Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Doug Cooper
Doug Cooper marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014