Start by marking “Make It Happen: The Hip-Hop Generation Guide to Success” as Want to Read:
Make It Happen: The Hip-Hop Generation Guide to Success

Make It Happen: The Hip-Hop Generation Guide to Success

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Kevin Liles rose from intern to president of Def Jam Records in only nine years. Today, at age thirty-seven, he is executive vice president of the Warner Music Group and has helped discover and direct the careers of stars such as Jay-Z and Ludacris.Liles' meteoric climb from urban street kid with hip-hop aspirations to one of the most successful and influential executives ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Atria Books (first published September 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Make It Happen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make It Happen

Marc Abraham
Nov 02, 2014 Marc Abraham rated it liked it
At the times, "Make it happen - the Hip Hop generation guide to success" felt a bit like everything in Kevin Liles' was a combination of planning and hard work. I can imagine that part of Kevin's professional success was down to random events and making the most of those events.

However, I did enjoy reading Kevin's stories and stories from coming through the ranks at Def Jam.
Gregory
May 09, 2015 Gregory rated it really liked it
Interesting read and related Kevin's start to my youth. I picked up several tips that I will use for my business. Light and fun read.
Paul
Aug 31, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing
I've got to be honest about this one... I bought it in the bargain area. Kevin Liles tells his story in an easy to read manner and is very successful at both motivating and teaching others ways to succeed. Liles rose from an unpaid intern at Def Jam to the eventual president of that company and later the VP of Warner Music. He's a hard working and incredibly intelligent guy, but at the same time both very cool and seemingly very kind. It's about the music industry, but this one's as much about b ...more
Nandi Crawford
I bought the book just before I got to meet the man in Mobile at our local junior college two years ago right after Katrina. He was quite inspirational, but there were more folks there who wanted to get into the business than folks who was just interested in reading the book and taking his advice. I found it to be hip, cool, informative and quite empowering.
Josh McConnell
Feb 02, 2009 Josh McConnell rated it liked it
Though it is more of a biography, Kevin Liles' Make It Happen is a very interesting read. It goes through the tale of him being successful in a cut throat industry and doing it an unconventional way. Definitely some takeaways can be found, but more or less it is just interesting seeing the path he took to make it to the top. I enjoy it from start to finish.
Kiersten
Jun 03, 2008 Kiersten rated it really liked it
This is a great book for those who take the unconventional route to a successful career. Kevin is able to use "real talk" to get his point across that you own a larger part of your destiny then you think. Great message and it did a great job motivating me.
Kameka
Oct 26, 2008 Kameka marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-i-own
I haven't read this yet although I got the book for free 3 years ago when the company I was working for was co-host of the book release party. Maybe I'll get around to it one of these days.
Jeff
Aug 22, 2008 Jeff rated it really liked it
Kevin liles was the president of defjam records. this is his story of how he got to the top, and how you can be successful in the corporate world. Brought up very good points.
Hector
Dec 07, 2008 Hector rated it it was ok
Kevin Liles is a successful man in his own right, but I couldn't really relate to his tips for success. Some of his stories made up for my lack of connection.
Diane Haines
ok, stop laughing at me...i work with guy...had to check it out
William
May 02, 2012 William rated it it was amazing
My favorite book, it speaks so much wisdom.
Maxo Marc
I loved this guys personal story: inspirational.
Lauren White
Lauren White marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Sheldon Nave
Sheldon Nave marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Berkeley Smith
Berkeley Smith marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
May 24, 2016
Billie Jo
Billie Jo marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Talia Gee
Talia Gee marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Carmen Greenwood
Carmen Greenwood marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Alana Benjamin
Alana Benjamin marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
BayBoo Conner
BayBoo Conner rated it did not like it
Mar 31, 2016
Derrick Rochelle
Derrick Rochelle is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Maia
Maia rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Adam Croft
Adam Croft marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Yonk
Yonk marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Essence
Essence rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015