Start by marking “Martyrs' Day: Chronicle of a Small War” as Want to Read:
Martyrs' Day: Chronicle of a Small War

Martyrs' Day: Chronicle of a Small War

In this classic account of the Gulf War from all sides of the conflict, Michael Kelly brings Operation Desert Storm to vivid life. He watches bombs fall on Baghdad; waits for Scud attacks in Tel Aviv, hears horrific tales of rape and torture in Kuwait, and travels with Kurdish rebels at war with Saddam Hussein themselves. In the new foreword and afterword, Kelly places the ...more
Published December 26th 2001 by Vintage (first published March 29th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Martyrs' Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martyrs' Day

Suzanne
Feb 29, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Bought this book after reading the late Michael Kelly's accounts of the war in the newspaper. He was an excellent journalist and this is an outstanding work which brought insight into the continual struggles in the Mideast. I learned more about Iraq from his account than I had from any other source. His death there a few years ago, is so sad.
Eliza
Apr 16, 2013 Eliza rated it really liked it
4/16/2013: I know so little about the Middle East and the United States' presence there over the last 20 years, and the best part of this book is that it made me want to read more about it. Written during Kelly's travels through Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Israel, and Egypt, during the Gulf War in 1991, this chronicle strikes a wonderful balance between the facts and numbers, stories from all the people he talked to, and his opinions of what was happening.

Kelly is an amazing journalist, able to descri
Susan
Sep 30, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing
A remarkable book about humanity and inhumanity in the first Iraq war.Saddam Hussein was indeed a monster.Michael Kelly was the first embedded journalist killed in the second Iraq war.He is sorely missed.
Steve
Apr 14, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a recap of the travels of the author around the Middle East during the first Gulf War. He begins in Iraq, followed by Jordan, Israel, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, before entering Kuwait with the Arab forces. He completes the book by revisiting the Iraqi capital, Baghdad, a year later and reporting on the worsening conditions there. A very detailed look at an almost forgotten war. Kelly later died during the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Alan
Aug 21, 2008 Alan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I read this shortly after it came out in the early nineties and again after the author was killed covering the Iraq War. Its an enlightening look at the results of war on an underdeveloped country. Its balanced and brutal. His descriptions of the highway of death left me shaken. I would recommend this today as strongly as I would have (more so probably) when it was first published.
Daniel
Jun 05, 2007 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Account by a journalist who snuck into the combat areas of Iraq during the first gulf war. ends up in Kurdistan when they revolt, but no US forces show up.
I. J.
Sep 21, 2008 I. J. rated it it was amazing
This book is the reason I went into the journalism program at the university. Kelly's death is one of the great tragedies of the current Iraq war.
Ed
May 27, 2008 Ed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This made a big impression on me in '93. I was sorry to part ideological ways with Kelly in his later years.
Ethan
Mar 06, 2007 Ethan rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2006
Not enough character development. Too jumpy. More travel writing than war reporting.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Tanner
Tanner marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Stuart Dawson
Stuart Dawson marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
George
George rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Deborah L. Moiles
Deborah L. Moiles marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Fritz Basgen
Fritz Basgen rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Michael Kenning
Michael Kenning rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2016
Azeezat
Azeezat rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2015
Josh
Josh added it
Feb 18, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Irene Lander
Irene Lander rated it did not like it
Jun 30, 2015
Alan Florjancic
Alan Florjancic rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Jesse Baer
Jesse Baer marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Brian Borst
Brian Borst marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Weston
Weston rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2015
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Palak
Palak marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Chris Dikes
Chris Dikes rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Michael Kelly is a freelance contributor to The Irish Times. He writes columns including ‘My Big Week’ and ‘What’s On’ for the Irish Times Magazine, ‘A New Life’ in the Health supplement and ‘The Irishman’s Diary’. His column ‘Giving Up’ in the Irish Times Magazine saw him forsake each week some of the essentials of modern life electricity, mobile phone, shaving, coffee etc. He also writes for The ...more
More about Michael Kelly...