Start by marking “Fresh Fruits” as Want to Read:
Fresh Fruits

Fresh Fruits (Fruits #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  725 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Presented in an identical format to Phaidon's previous Fruits, published in 2001, Fruits Too is a collection of Tokyo teenage street fashion portraits selected from Japan's premier street fanzine of the same title. Published every month by Shoichi Aoki, who is also the sole photographer for the magazine, Fruits was established in 1994 as a project to document the growing e ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Fruits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Fruits

Monica!
So what we have here is a collection of giant, full-color photos of tweens and teens strutting their stuff through the Harajuku area of Tokyo.

The best part of Fresh Fruits is the realization that most of these photos were taken between 1997-2002, and there is now a whole generation of no-longer-teens who can look back on this book and say, "I wrote that my current obsession was 'punk anarchy'?! Was I high?!" followed shortly by, "Jesus Christ, are those crocheted rainbow flood pants?!"

The worst
Betterthanfiction
I loved the original book by Aoki, Fruits - a collection of photos of Japanese street fashion. Fresh Fruits is the same format, kids in their truly outlandish fashions with a small chunk of commentary at the bottom. At first, I skipped over the rather hard to read comments on the bottom. However, the images soon became secondary when I really started paying attention. The first few lines of commentary are about where the kids got their clothes. However, the last line about "your current obsessio ...more
Heidi
Hours and hours and hours of entertainment leafing through these amazing japanese kids outfits. I dream of being this cute! If you put it on your coffee table you will inevitably end up talking about it with whomever comes into your house.
Grace
Whether you're a fashion lover or not, this book of Japanese fashion will inspire you. It is full of photos of everyday Japanese youth, and their originality and fearlessness encourages me to dress my own way.
Damien
I'm generally anti-consumerist and, for the most part, against trendy fashion. But so many of the clothes in this book, and the book that came before it, ARE JUST TOO COOL!!!
Jess
[ This post was originally uploaded to http://www.theageofintimacy.com/shoic... as part of a blogging/social media internship. ]

Asian street fashion is an enigma to most Westerners. Even if they have lived on the continent for an extended period of time, chances are that their country of origin or ancestors has more influence on their style than their newly-adopted homeland. I lived in Thailand for three years at the end of high school, and it still tickles me pink that once the temperature drop
Marie-Louise
Loved the colours and quirky-ness of this amazing Japanese street style book. What's even more fascinating about Fresh Fruits is the fact that these photographs were taken from 1997-2002 which is amazing because the photographs look and could be so current. I love to check out the 90s fashions (I was born in 95) and it's lovely to see a snapshot of a stylish Japanese teen and what they were into. A really neat and cleverly constructed book.
Tosh
The first volume of 'Fruits' is the classic one to get. If you can't find the first one then get this one: volume 2.

It's good, but it doesn't have the affect of the first volume. Japanese street fashion is the best in the world. But it also changes radically from one thing to another. By the time these books were published the kids in Japan are onto something else.

It's a fascinating world and worth the ticket to just to sit near the Shibuya train station to people-watch. Harajuku is better actua
Phyllis
I'm not as crazy about this 2nd volume, mainly because it doesn't have as wide a variety of styles as the first book. Way too many generic punk looks and Elegant Gothic Lolitas. The whole EGL subculture is one of those things where I'm glad it exists but I have no personal interest in it whatsoever, so that probably explains my tepid reaction to pages and pages of frilly dresses eerily reminiscent of the dresses traditional square dancers wear in the states.
Olivia
This is definitely not as good as the first Fruits in my opinion. I bought about 20 copies of the Fruits when I was in Tokyo a few years ago, (they had backorder mags available at a store) and I love looking through those and the first fruits book, but this was a huge disappointment for me.
HeavyReader
Nov 19, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fashion hounds
Shelves: art
This book has only a little to read, but a lot of stuff to look at. EYE CANDY! It is so cool.

The photos are from a Japanese magazine, highlighting the street fashion of Japanese folks in the late '90s and early 2000s. Bright colors! Cool accessories! This book is rad!
Lindsey
Very cute! It made me wonder what I would have answered if someone had taken my picture and asked what my current obsession was when I was a teenager. Most of their answers made a lot of sense, like "my friends" "my boy/girlfriend" "life" or random bands.
Shannon
A wonderful gathering of "street" clothing and the characters who wear it in Japan. A great collection of unique styles and comments that are captivating to look at. An excellent coffee table book for conversations!
Kristin
If you like Japanese cutie kids you will love this picture book! Ben and I had the chance to see this first hand when we visited Tokyo last spring. If you are a shoe enthusiast, you need to check this out!!
Paula Kirman
I actually have the card set as opposed to the book. The photography is incredible, and I loved reading the comments about the teens/tweens/young adults' current "obsessions."
Shae
I liked the first book better. And I didn't realize when I was buying this that it wasn't a book at all -- it was a set of cards. It was still fun to look through, though
Bridget
I definitely think that this is the better of the two fruits books. this book is always entertaining to look through and also really inspiring.
yao
Mar 08, 2007 yao rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: colorful dressers
this book is cute, but don't read the words because they are sad, just look at the pictures, I like to look at it for clothes ideas for drawing
Betsy Jibson
One of the greatest photography books I have ever seen, documenting street style in Tokyo.
OriginalMrButter
Pictures of Japanese pop teen culture in the 90s-ish.
Celena
Mar 12, 2008 Celena added it
this book is SO COOL
the fashion in it is amazing
Jorge
mutantes post apocalípticos y muy cutes!!!!
Katherine
Another great book to peruse for fun.
Rebecca
hello kitty heaven!
Liz
Jun 15, 2007 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: graphic designers & artsy folks
fantastic photographs
Karl Royce
Harajuku Dun!
Meryem Bougdem
Meryem Bougdem marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
  • Vivienne Westwood
  • Pink Box: Inside Japan's Sex Clubs
  • Japanese Schoolgirl Inferno: Tokyo Teen Fashion Subculture Handbook
  • Male Colors: The Construction of Homosexuality in Tokugawa Japan
  • Fashion: The Collection of the Kyoto Costume Institute - A History from the 18th to the 20th Century
  • Kickboxing Geishas: How Modern Japanese Women Are Changing Their Nation