Start by marking “Born to Run [Sound Recording]” as Want to Read:
Born to Run [Sound Recording]

Born to Run [Sound Recording]

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,213 Ratings  ·  220 Reviews
Joy and heartbreak combine in this bittersweet tale of a champion greyhound's journey through life - and from owner to owner.
Audiobook, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2008 by HarperCollins Audiobooks (first published September 3rd 2007)

Jessica
Oct 14, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This touching book shows a young dogs hard life. From being rescued from a pond, to living on the streets, even the toughest book reader may need a box of tissues beside them. This is a lovely book, and, as I've mentioned, is very touching. I would recommend this book to a young-ish audience, around 11-12 year olds would enjoy this, but I think older teens (14ish) may also enjoy this book. I know I loved it. :)
Derek
This is a charming story about the different lives of one dog.

"Born to run" by Micheal Morpugo is a story about the life of a greyhound and the experiences he encounters. The book is (I would probably guess) aimed at young teenagers. However, any dog lover will love this tale of a greyhound who has three different (and very contrasting) owners for the duration of this novel.

The story begins with Patrick a young boy who whilst walking on his way to school sees a bag floating in the canal which s
Anna
Nov 21, 2010 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a touching story about a greyhound who had many different lives. He was saved from a canal with the rest of his siblings and kept by the rescuer. He was dognapped, attacked and left on his own to fend for himself, will he ever find a true home?
I recommend this book to younger aged children and animal lovers.
I really liked this story because it's heartwarming and has very good composition, it draws you into the story and you don't want to put the book down as it's full of suprises.
The only th
Noodles
Jul 09, 2013 Noodles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This book is very fast paced. It rattles along with barely a paragraph or chapter in sight. I guess that is to keep children interested.
It looks like a book for young children, with wide line spacing and illustrations. But I found the content to be very adult for the style of the book. There was animal abuse, parents dying, nasty step parents, children running away, homelessness, violence. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, and don't expect to find those issues covered in a book that looks like it's
Beyza
Nov 13, 2009 Beyza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was amazing.it makes you laugh and cry.every one who has a dog will love it (i think!)
Stacie White
Mar 26, 2011 Stacie White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book, made me cry
Melissa Cooney
This book tells us the story of the life of a greyhound dog that gets rescued by different people and as a consequence shares a part of their life for a certain period of time. He is rescued from a canal as a puppy by a young boy called Patrick who names him ‘best mate’. Best mate is a fantastic runner which results in him being noticed and becoming a racing greyhound. A new friend Becky tries to save him from the cruelness of greyhound racing, but he soon finds himself abandoned and alone. Best ...more
Angela O'donnell
Nov 07, 2012 Angela O'donnell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Born to Run by Michael Murpurgo
This is a book for animal lovers and it follows the life of a greyhound dog. Best Mate, has had a tough life and Murpurgo illustrates this very well to the reader. We meet three characters who take care of Best Mate through his journey; Patrick is a young boy who rescues Best Mate from drowning. Becky is a teenager who becomes best friends with Brighteyes and Joe is an older man who takes comfort in the company that Paddywhack gives him.
I really enjoyed the seque
Jessica Cargill
People
Oct 30, 2013 People rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
IT WAS AMAZING!
Born to run is a very good book for me, I think. It is easy to make the reader understand while showing a lot of thoughts. It’s about a greyhound and his amazing journey.
A kid named Patrick found this greyhound dog in the cannel with other four greyhounds. Patrick became a “hero” and he only gets the chance to have one dog. He named it Best Mate because they became best mates together.
One day, Best mate was stolen in the park by the guy who found Patrick with the dogs in the can
Fraser L
Sep 02, 2014 Fraser L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was a very good book and had a great storyline. I really liked it how the whole novel was based around the Dog's journey around the different places he went in his life.
5Dawald G
May 06, 2016 5Dawald G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book Born to Run by Christopher McDougall is a story of one mans relationship with the sport of running and where running takes him. When he comes down with an injury while running one day the doctor tells him he needs to find another activity. Chris tells himself, "You don't stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running". After his injury he is determined to find out why running is so harsh on the body and if there is anything that can be done to prevent this. He d ...more
Lars
Oct 30, 2015 Lars rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the story of a greyhound dog that goes through many lives. In the beginning of the book, the greyhound is rescued from a river by a boy named Patrick. The dog is named Best Mate and is inseparable from patrick. But one day Best Mate is stolen from Patrick in the park by 2 men who steal greyhounds for money. While Best Mate is in the kennels with the other dogs, he is in the cage with the champion of dogs (Alfie) and then they become inseparable, and also with Becky, (the girl ...more
Ruby
Jun 25, 2014 Ruby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've started a new shelf in goodreads for rock's bedtime stories and reading books, just because some are great for grown ups, too! Among these are Michael Morpurgo books. My goodness, they are such page turners, for adults and kids alike, this one, Born to Run, about the life and times of a very downtrodden but adventurous dog and his multiple owners. Such a beautiful, sweet book, with a gorgeous ending. Morpurgo sets himself apart from his peers through his character development. I find that t ...more
Linda Proud
Like Black Beauty, this is the story of an animal being passed from owner to owner; unlike Black Beauty, all the owners are good people who love the dog. The evil villains appear only briefly, and any cruelty happens off stage. So this does not take you over the edge like Black Beauty does and the emotional response is muffled as a result. It's slightly sentimental, although the cause it promotes - better treatment of retired greyhounds - is worthy. The research into current social issues is goo ...more
Whitney Hallam
Dec 09, 2009 Whitney Hallam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is like no other, perfect for animal lovers. This boy finds a bunch of dogs in the canal and keeps one but while the dog is going out for a run he gets taken by a stranger and goes through all these people to look after him. Will he ever find his true owner again?
Taylor Parsons
Nov 17, 2014 Taylor Parsons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book 3 times I would recommend it if you like books that you just can't put down, this book is a brilliant book and it is a beautiful read. I love reading but this is the best book I have ever read!!!!! 5 star all the way!
Ashani Irunika  Hettige
Joyful and heartbreak combine in this bittersweet tale of a champion greyhound’s journey through life – and from owner to owner with different identities.

This lovely greyhound had many names...

First he becomes Best mate for Patrick
Then he becomes Bright eyes for Betty
Finally he becomes Paddywack for Joe.

He is on the run playing may roles and meeting and living in different places.
I fell sorry and I ran out of tears when I heard about Alfie. The racing companion of bright eyes.
After that the sad
Julie
Mar 08, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You learn that Michael Morpurgo once had a pet Greyhound and loved his pet to bits, it was from his love of Greyhounds that this story evolved and the rough hand that these dogs are often dealt, especially ex- racing Greyhounds.
The story starts with a young boy Patrick who dreads going to school but on his way to school sees a sack floating in the canal, the sack is moving so he jumps in and rescues the sack which has 5 unwanted Greyhound puppies in. He pleads with his parents to let him keep o
Rapunzel2015
Feb 27, 2015 Rapunzel2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this when I was probably about 11 or 12, and it made me cry then. I thought it was one of the best books I'd ever read. Reading it again, it wasn't nearly as hard-hitting or emotional as I remembered it to be, but it did make me smile because it's just a heartwarming sweet story.

On the other hand, the bit that did get to me a little was Becky's letter to her mum when she runs away. The emotions that cause a teenage girl to want to run away from home- they have to be pretty pow
Sophia
Jul 17, 2014 Sophia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book that I have ever read, and it was this book that had me starting to read other books because when I was little I was one of those people the preferred films to books.

A beautiful story about a lovely dog's difficult life and to be honest, as a dog lover, it was the front cover that got me to pick up this book in the first place.

The only reason I gave this book a 4 star is because there was a bit in the book that made me really upset and I cried.
Adrianna
Aug 19, 2014 Adrianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This tale of a dog with a billion lives is one of my best reads so far. Brilliantly written; Cried more than a couple of times. I couldn't put this book down until I finished it. Sad, but a captivating story of how a dog brightened many people's lives by his sweet temperament and his gift of running. Anyone who is a dog lover or not, runner or not, I dare you to pick up this book, not ask you, dare you, because you will not be able to put it down.
Clare Farrelly
Jan 10, 2016 Clare Farrelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
This book was sad and touching in a way that reminded me of Black Beauty. I enjoyed this story, although I am not really a dog person. But I didn't enjoy the bits where I assume Michael Morpurgo's personal beliefs in reincarnation and such things came through into the story. (but that is to be expected)

It would be a good book for a young boy or a girl who likes dogs, but people of other ages will probably enjoy it too.
Francesca Budiman
Nov 12, 2015 Francesca Budiman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Born to Run by Michael Morpurgo tells the tale of a young greyhound who’s name is Best Mate. He is rescued from a river by Patrick and grows faster as he grows older. Some men in a park near Patrick’s home kidnap him and his journey back home begins. This book is a page-turner. It has a very interesting plot line which makes it almost impossible to put down. I would recommend it to anyone who loves animals and adventure.
Subra Kris
A brilliant book to get you off your arse and send you running. Some of the elements of the books are a bit hyped and if you are looking to polish your language just forget it. But the scientific facts about human beings being engineered to run rather than to walk is very good. Even if you are not an ultra marathoner, regular marathoner of even a sprint runner, this one is a must to get you to start experimenting with running
Susan Bazzett-griffith
Adam and I read this one together, a gift from my dad, over the course of the last few weeks at bedtime. The story was sweet, old fashioned in a way, and beautifully written, with a few special chapters told from the point of view of the dog, who at various points was named Best Mate, Bright Eyes, and Paddywhack. The story of a greyhound who is rescued repeatedly by good-hearted human friends, two children and one old man, it was a story that highlights the ability of dogs to love and trust, no ...more
Sophie
Feb 04, 2015 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book when I was younger. I read it over and over and I cried every single time and probably would if I read it again now (thinking about the dogs hectic life has me welling up now, oh god). I've always loved dogs so maybe that was my main reason for loving this so much, but this is honestly just a beautiful and touching story.
Jude
Nov 16, 2013 Jude rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an emotional book that I read most night when I was meant to be sleeping :/ whoops!! This book I thought was gonna be so predictive. But then it all changed into one of the saddest stories I have probably ever read! The last bit surprised me most where the dog appeared to his current owner and the owner didn't recognise him that bit was heart breaking it made me so emotional like I wanted to go to the author and tell him to change the story! It was so detailed in each part and I lov ...more
Lumos Lemur
Sep 18, 2014 Lumos Lemur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Born To Run is a tragic, raw and heartfelt tale highlighting the varying lives of greyhounds on the track. This is a very affecting, serious book which will likely touch the reader. I remember feeling so angry at times when reading it when I was eleven, then recommending it to everyone I could. One of Michael Morpurgo's best.
Len
Mar 03, 2016 Len rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book a few days ago, and as a dog person I picked it up at once without even reading the author's name or the summary on the back cover.
The book tells a wonderful story of a greyhound whose life consists of changes, mishaps and happy moments as well. It also reminds us of our best friends and how we should treat them.
  • Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children
  • Kill the Possum
  • The Silver Donkey
  • Pieces of my Heart
  • The Whisperer
  • Halo
  • The Puzzle Ring
  • The Fox Cub Bold (Farthing Wood, #4)
  • Girl Stuff: Your Full On Guide To The Teen Years
  • Chicken Feathers
  • Chasers (Alone, #1)
  • Being Magdalene
  • Petals in the Ashes (Sign of the Sugared Plum, #2)
  • The Wizard of Rondo (Rondo, #2)
  • How it Works: The Wife
  • The Three Golliwogs
  • Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul: Stories of Feline Affection, Mystery and Charm
  • Driftwood
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...