Start by marking “Saltwater Summer” as Want to Read:
Saltwater Summer

Saltwater Summer

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  6 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
This tale of a young man's first summer as a commercial salmon fisherman on the BC coast, written in 1948 by the renowned fisherman and outdoor adventure writer Roderick Haig-Brown, has become a modern classic.
Don Morgan, the seventeen-year-old hero of Haig-Brown's Starbuck Valley Winter, has made enough money trapping on northern Vancouver Island to realize his dream: he
Published January 1st 2000 by Harbour Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Saltwater Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saltwater Summer

Sharon
Jul 06, 2015 Sharon rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - the second time around. I'd like to add that my father was a commercial troller on the west coast of Vancouver Island and on the inside later in his life so it is something that I know a little about.

Well written, entertaining and enjoyable. I do believe they've undertold the dangers of conditions and maybe that's a good thing. Commercial fishing in this way is unfortunately a thing of the past, there's just not a living in it anymore, the openings are too short
Savannah
A simple book of salmon trolling in the commercial fishing fleet in the 40s in the Pacific Northwest. It's nicely written but dated in presentation and lacks enough character realism to appeal to most of our kid readers. Some of our older fishermen will likely read it for the nostalgia, though.
Marc Belanger
Marc Belanger marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Rich Roggia
Rich Roggia rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Maida Suhail
Maida Suhail marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Allan Williams
Allan Williams rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Seiyul
Seiyul added it
Sep 28, 2014
Steve Minch
Steve Minch rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2013
Robin Dawes
Robin Dawes rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2013
Augie
Augie marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2012
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2011
A.J.
A.J. added it
Aug 26, 2008
Roderick Langmere Haig-Brown (February 21, 1908 — October 9, 1976) was a Canadian writer and conservationist, who is acclaimed internationally for his writing on fly fishing.
More about Roderick L. Haig-Brown...