Start by marking “Playing Ball on Running Water: The Japanese Way to Building a Better Life” as Want to Read:
Playing Ball on Running Water: The Japanese Way to Building a Better Life

Playing Ball on Running Water: The Japanese Way to Building a Better Life

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  81 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Clean unmarked copy, no crease to spine. Gently used copy! Mild shelf and edge wear from normal handling. Satisfaction guaranteed!
Published September 1st 1984 by William Morrow & Co

To ask other readers questions about Playing Ball on Running Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing Ball on Running Water

B
Oct 21, 2014 B rated it did not like it
'I am indifferent to whether you understand and accept the life principles in this book'. And doesn't it show. The author waffles endlessly, absorbed, overwhelmed by his own thoughts, and being determined to do only his bit well, and to do it only for him, he neglected to consider others' wants and needs and served up an homogeneous, repetitive, unpalatable mess.
Painting
Mar 15, 2008 Painting rated it really liked it
Morita therapy--perhaps the beginning of the phrase "just do it"...? This is an introduction to an active form of psychotherapy developed by Dr. Morita, who was a contemporary of Freud. The Japanese elements mentioned in the book derive from Japan's aspect and development of Zen without going too far into the "zen of it." Dr. Morita's method puts emphasis on the work to be done to cure common neurosis by setting simple goals and acting upon them instead of just discussing them. About one third o ...more
Oz Barton
Nov 27, 2014 Oz Barton rated it liked it
Read this in high school (14+ years ago). While I've forgotten most things about the writing or the specific content other than a hazy memory of vague distaste, the basic principle —"Do it anyway" —has essentially formed a major component of my concept of what adulthood means, and so I can't bring myself to brush off this book. (I still remember the book itself, after all, title and cover image and the fact that it came off the second shelf from the bottom at the public library.)

Also, while the
Karin Carlson
Aug 08, 2014 Karin Carlson rated it it was amazing
This is a key book in my life. I've read it at least 5 times. I can honestly say that this book changed me for the better.
Jan
Jun 01, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
First read this about 30 years ago. The title itself is a nice metaphor for living life and reducing neurotic behavior.
Michelle
Apr 04, 2011 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psych
This is one of the top ten most influential books I have read. I read it in college and just reread it and it has lost nothing over time; if anything, it is more applicable to my life than ever.
Clark
Jan 16, 2008 Clark rated it really liked it
I love the parables. Makes you think
(Checked out from Library)
Rhianna
Rhianna marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Youth Of Malawi
Youth Of Malawi marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Nichelle
Nichelle marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Stephen Pfancuff
Stephen Pfancuff rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Erika Tremper
Erika Tremper rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Tracy Box
Tracy Box marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Richard Kelly
Richard Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Simon Cozzens
Simon Cozzens marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Ashley Centers
Ashley Centers marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Esteban
Esteban marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
RC
RC rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Redvelvetcake
Redvelvetcake marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Mark Bregman
Mark Bregman rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Lissa
Lissa marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Azur Moulaert
Azur Moulaert marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015