Start by marking “Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones” as Want to Read:
Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones

Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones

Six paleontologists search for bones. When they find them, they dig them up, wrap them, and load them on a truck, bound for the museum. With simple text and vibrant illustrations, young readers explore the process of finding and assembling bone fossils.

Bones. Bones. We look for bones.
We look for the bones of dinosaurs.

Supports the Common Core State Standards.
Published September 30th 1990 by HarperFestival (first published September 28th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bones, Bones, Dinosaur Bones

jacky
Sep 07, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young dinosaur lovers; preK - primary
Today's letter at story time was B. I missed a good portion of this one because Natalie was crawling on something or another. What I did hear was a great introduction to paleontologists. Bold illustrations.
Lauren
May 20, 2012 Lauren rated it did not like it
Shelves: kid-books
This book is I think geared towards toddlers with the simple pictures and lines, but there is no flow or rhythm to the prose. If feels awkward to read aloud.
Nov 30, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
Jessica
Dec 16, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I would like to try this title during my toddler storytime to identify different body parts and close with singing "Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes".
Lamar Sanders
Jul 16, 2012 Lamar Sanders rated it liked it
Main Characters: Six paleontologist
Point of View: 3rd person
Plot: The book highlights the work of paleontologists is a very simplistic and child friendly mannner. It covers the digging, extracting, transporting and assembly of dinosaur bones, specifically a tyrannosaurus rex.
Main Ideas: Paleontology

This book could serve as an introduction to a unit on dinosaurs or be read prior to a trip to any museum of natural history. It certainly gives children a basic understanding of the bones they will se
Renate
This book will be lots of fun for the dinosaur lovers in the group! Byron's style is simple, bold and colorful and children like it. It is a simple account of paleontology. It promotes phonological awareness by repeating so many dinosaur names, the children will be able to see repeating sounds and syllables with the dinosaur names. Before reading, ask the children if they have seen dinosaurs at the museum.
Byron's books are fun to read because kids recognize his style and it's nice to talk to the
Miss Sarah
Dec 14, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it it was ok
A simple any age group book about each step needed from discovering a dinosaur bone to displaying it. Simple and easy to follow.
Lauren Brown
An easy read for young children about finding dinosaur bones and how they are assembled in the museums. Simple and easy to follow text and drawings that enable to young children to focus on what is happening. There are some names of dinosaurs listed, which can be difficult to pronounce, but very simple and easy words otherwise.
Lisa Houlihan
May 07, 2013 Lisa Houlihan rated it did not like it
Shelves: male, dpl-rda, juv-picture
I cannot imagine an age where this would be appropriate. It manages to make the job of unearthing dinosaur fossils even more tedious than it probably is in the field, what with the toothbrushes they probably have to use. Milo would have more fun moving his pile of sand grain by grain.
Dawn
Mar 10, 2015 Dawn added it
Shelves: picture-books, 2015
Read this at our book and craft program and then made pictures of Dino skeletons out of qtips. Short and sweet, and I like the ending, that after they've assembled a dinosaur, they go out looking again. However, there really isn't a good flow to the text. Which can make it awkward to read aloud.
Cara Farmer
Nov 04, 2013 Cara Farmer rated it really liked it
Shelves: dinosaurs, nonfiction
This is a cute story. Nothing super special, but it will be good to read to a kindergarten class when you are trying to teach them about nonfiction. I do love dinosaurs so this is probably something that I will add to my library.
Denise
Jul 23, 2011 Denise rated it liked it
Shelves: young-persons
If a student has a good handle on word blends, this is a nice short introduction to dino paleontology. However, because of the dinosaur names and word blends, I would recommend parents read while encouraging kids to follow and ask questions.
Michelle
Jan 19, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: massimo
My son really enjoyed reading this book out loud to me. His school sent it home as part of the dinosaur literacy bag.
Susan
Feb 07, 2008 Susan rated it liked it
As with all Barton books it seems, great response from children. Assembling a dinosaur from dig to museum in minimal easy-to-follow language and bright colorful images.
Bridget
Sep 12, 2010 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Just like what we saw at the Dinosaur Discovery Site http://www.dinotrax.com/ in St. George, UT this weekend. Had fun with the cousins there.
kate
Sep 18, 2012 kate rated it really liked it
Loved the language, the illustrations, and use of bright, primary colours! Will be using with my three- and four-year old storytime centered around dinosaurs.
Evan
Jun 23, 2009 Evan rated it it was amazing
It was super great. I like it because they found all the bones, digged them up, and put them in the museum.
The Brothers
Jan 21, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was ok
Shelves: bones, dinosaurs, fossils
The story is minimal and the illustrations are brightly colored, if somewhat crudely drawn. It's not bad, but not anything special either.
Liz
Jun 19, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens_books
I love Byron Barton for the 2 - 4 set. Simple text, simple pictures. Calum is really enjoying this one. No talking animals here.
Murph Eugene
Nov 19, 2012 Murph Eugene rated it liked it
Pb36 - Very quick read, but the different dinosaur names could make it frustrating for young children.
J.F. Sanborn
Jun 22, 2011 J.F. Sanborn rated it really liked it
Byron Barton can always be depended on to write books that children will enjoy and relate to, while learning something new.
Cheyenne
This is a good beginner book for how dinosaur bones go from the dig site to the museum and put together.
Emerson and Theodore
Sep 18, 2012 Emerson and Theodore rated it it was amazing
WE LOOK FOR THE BONES OF DINOSAURS.
WE FIND THEM.

That sums up this book--yet another excellent read from Barton.
Joanna
Jan 17, 2009 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-salo
Six little paleontologists unearth and assemble a tyrannosaurus. A great book on its own and a must read for anyone near the Cerritos, CA library which features its very own full size T-rex, Stan.
Erica
Jul 06, 2012 Erica rated it really liked it
A cute book about collecting dinosaur bones and putting them together. My little guy is enjoying it.
Kara Fread
Kara Fread rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Marisa
Marisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2011
Quinn's Book Nook
Quinn's Book Nook rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Ashleyd
Ashleyd rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Spot Can Count (Color): First Edition
  • If the Dinosaurs Came Back
  • This Is New York
  • Sergei Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf: With a Fully-Orchestrated and Narrated CD
  • Curious George in the Snow