Start by marking “365 Dalai Lama: Daily Advice from the Heart” as Want to Read:
365 Dalai Lama: Daily Advice from the Heart

365 Dalai Lama: Daily Advice from the Heart

Imagine having two minutes with the Dalai Lama offering you personal advice on how you could live your life better, overcome your problems, be more joyful and create a better world. This revolutionary new book brings you exactly that: short passages to offer you enlightening advice, day by dayMeditations are suggested on the following: On the stages of life: for the young, ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Thorsons (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about 365 Dalai Lama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 365 Dalai Lama

Mar 12, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
At best this book was sentimental, at worst it was repetitive, condescending, rigid, and even prejudiced (he is disapproving of homosexual behavior). I find myself moving further and further away from Buddhism. This book just proves that there is very little difference between it and other religions in terms of rules and expectations, and the fact that it lacks the flexibility to readjust to the culture and era in which it finds itself. Or perhaps it's just the Dalai Lama's take on it and everyt ...more
Amanda
Jan 08, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
A reassuringly thick, hardbacked book packed with quotes from his Holiness, the Dalai Lama. Although often repeating very similar quotes in an effort to find 365 concise soundbites that would make sence to someone with relatively little buddhist knowledge, the reverance and wisdom of the man does shine through, promting peace and kindness. An attractive 'coffee table book' for anyone looking for little pearls of wisdom to enlighten their day.
Jessica
Apr 03, 2013 Jessica rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed by this book. It lacked the depth for me. maybe it was due to the translation?
Abhilash PS
One of the best books I have ever read. Wisdom from a great human and teacher.
Gheeta
Jul 11, 2011 Gheeta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I was a little disappointed with this book. I guess I was expecting a little more to the entries than was actually there.
Breanna
Nov 21, 2016 Breanna rated it liked it
I attempted to read one passage a day over the course of a year, a short paragraph to have on your mind throughout the day.
Many of the passages were thought-provoking and impactful while others were repetitive and, for lack of a better word, dull.
It remains, however, a quick inspirational read, a small "coffee table book" packed with wisdom.
Andrea Athos
Oct 17, 2016 Andrea Athos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gutes Buch!❤
Emily Schirmer
This was, as to be expected, a very inspirational and insightful read. I would expect nothing less when reading snippets of conversation with the Dalai Lama himself. However, I will note that a more proper title for this book would have been "Daily THOUGHTS – Some Incomplete – From the Heart" instead of "Daily Advice From the Heart."

The authors of this book mention in an introduction that they had the pleasure of visiting with the Dalai Lama himself. Prior to their visit, they had provided him
Siri
Reading this made me all warm and fuzzy on the inside.
I would describe this as a "Dalai Lama for the masses" sort of thing. The short passages are easily digestible, devoid of buddhist lingo, and straight to the point. Theres something in here for everyone: the young, the old, the pessimist, the workaholic etc. I was particularly surprised when I saw that he had devoted a passage to homosexuals, since this is after all a religious leader we are talking about. But Dalai Lama surprised me on more
Audrey
Oct 13, 2007 Audrey rated it really liked it
This is a good one for the nightstand. Many of the passages, which are nice and short, are really memorable and thought-provoking, whereas certain topics I found to be interesting at best, dull at worst. So really, I wavered between giving it 3 stars and giving it 5 stars depending on how moved I was by the particular set of passages I was reading. There are a few pages on not loving one-self, where the Dalai Lama has the perspective that those who do not have too much pride, too elevated of an ...more
Merccedes
Mar 01, 2016 Merccedes rated it it was amazing
Great book that teaches you simple techniques on how to approach life and its diversities it brings in a mindful way. Dalai Lama reaches out to almost everyone through this fantastic book about advice from the heart, from teachers, the single, the religious and non religious. Everyone could relate to his teachings from many of the chapters where he offers very simplistic language and although very direct.
Mikhaila Christian
Jul 24, 2013 Mikhaila Christian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who is down in life or looking for inspiration towards living a happier life.
Recommended to Mikhaila by: I saw this on the book stand in front of whole foods and thought why not ? This is an investment in my health just as my organic food and holistic hygiene products right ? It's all how you perceive life.
This book really showcases his thoughts and beliefs with such ease. I mean how can you not like the Dalai Lama with all of his compassion and sensibility towards the human kind. Every day is like a new chance to see through his eyes towards a subject in which we all can relate. To be honest I sped through the book because YES it was that good. Don't worry you have the rest of the year to read it . Just enjoy each quote and savor each word.
William Teo
Aug 02, 2011 William Teo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read, aroused my interest to find out more on the history of Tibet. I particularly like how his holiness defined self-confidence - is "an awareness of our inner potential, a certainty that we can always correct our behaviour, improve ourselves, enrich ourselves, and that things are never hopeless."
William Teo
Interesting read, aroused my interest to find out more on the history of Tibet.

Steph
Jan 06, 2012 Steph rated it really liked it
It's the little things like being kind to others and to ourselves that are often the hardest to do. The message I got from this book is that it doesn't matter what if any religion you believe in what is truly important is how you treat others & oneself.
Kathy
Feb 20, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
This is the kind of book that you can pick up and put down because they are just short blips about life. So, I finally finished it. Can't say I learned anything new, but I usually only have time to read a few pages of anything during the school year.
Judith
Sep 03, 2014 Judith rated it really liked it
This was the beginning of my commitment to read an inspirational verse or poetry each morning. I enjoy the Buddhist philosophy and always felt peaceful starting my day with the Dalai Lama's words of wisdom. My next morning read will be Robert Frost's Seasons!
Sara
Aug 18, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
This is a great book, with easily digestible bite-sized wisdom from His Holiness. It's fun to read one a day. And then, start it all over when the year does, as it's been a year since you last read that day's nugget, and it helps all over again. :)
Sally McRogerson
Jul 24, 2011 Sally McRogerson rated it it was amazing
This guy is one of my heroes. No objectivity from me here
Lloyd
Sep 13, 2010 Lloyd rated it really liked it
I keep this book on my nite stand and try to read it every day.
Fazal Ur Rehman
Jul 17, 2014 Fazal Ur Rehman rated it it was amazing
Enlightening...!
Dorine
Oct 04, 2013 Dorine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelved
Good book. Originally planned to read an entry daily, but got distracted. Will start over when the mood strikes me.
Lia Silva
Dec 19, 2016 Lia Silva rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in one day because it was hard to skip a day on it. His messages are so short, clear, get to the point, understanding and open minded.
Tenzin
Jul 02, 2014 Tenzin added it
medicine for soul
Christopher Vigliotti
I'm only reading one page per day, and am on page 7 now...so a proper review is a ways off...
Danielle
Mar 26, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it
Was it wrong of me to read this in 2 nights? That's my style (impatient). Ironically, this is what I seek guidance for. I loved every page and wish I owned a copy to read the "right" way ;)
Jillian
Oct 27, 2014 Jillian rated it it was amazing
Excellent. worthwhile and helped with simple reflections.
Oh Ana
Aug 04, 2011 Oh Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
for the heart . . .
Roman Westberg
Roman Westberg rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Gabriel
Gabriel rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2016
  • Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
  • Meditations from Conversations with God
  • Genuine Happiness: Meditation as the Path to Fulfillment
  • What Would Buddha Do?: 101 Answers to Life's Daily Dilemmas
  • Touching Peace: Practicing the Art of Mindful Living (Being Peace, #2)
  • Three Plays: An Enemy of the People / The Wild Duck / Rosmersholm
  • The Canterbury Tales: A Selection
  • 101 storie Zen
  • Come diventare un Buddha in cinque settimane
  • Without Roots: Europe, Relativism, Christianity, Islam
  • Insight Meditation: A Step-by-step Course on How to Meditate
  • Awakening Intuition: Using Your Mind-Body Network for Insight and Healing
  • The Merriam-Webster Thesaurus
Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso (born Lhamo Döndrub), the 14th Dalai Lama, is a practicing member of the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism and is influential as a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, the world's most famous Buddhist monk, and the leader of the exiled Tibetan government in India.

Tenzin Gyatso was the fifth of sixteen children born to a farming family. He was proclaimed the
More about Dalai Lama XIV...