Start by marking “Mage Heart” as Want to Read:
Mage Heart

Mage Heart (The Chronicles of Dion Trilogy #1)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  206 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Provincial and naive – and a powerful mage – young Dion is an innocent adrift in a world of intriguesand treacheries with hungry demons lurking just beyond its borders. And now she has been called up to protect the Dukes favourite mistress : the extraordinary Kitten Avignon, Our Lady of Roses. The mesmirising courtesan is a woman in dire peril, stalked by a necromancer who ...more
Published July 1st 1996 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mage Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mage Heart

Dee
I'm quite ambivalent about this book. There's plenty about it that I enjoyed egregiously - the "women's politics" court-and-courtesan setting and trappings are precisely my cup of tea, and I loved loved loved Kitten Avignon, who was a complex and intriguing and charismatic lady of business (with a sword, but without the ability to read and write). But I find myself less-than-whelmed with the of-the-Book nature of the religious system, and especially the demons (and I'm not really sure why; this ...more
Karen Mardahl
May 22, 2011 Karen Mardahl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I met Jane Routley many years ago and bought this book and the sequel "Fire Angel". They got placed in the reading queue...

This lazy weekend saw me devour this book. 11 pages Friday night, 2/5ths on Saturday, and then I woke up and read the rest of the book in one go. Such a relief from all my non-fiction reads. Pure escapism. It's more romance than I expected, but it was good fun. Look at how I couldn't put it down! I wanted a good story and I got one. I confess that as literature, I'd give it
Elli
Sep 01, 2009 Elli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ein wirklich schöner Fantasyroman mit schön beschriebener Magie und der richtigen Einstellung zu Dämonen! Ich selbst behaupte ja immer im Spiel so magisch zu sein wie ein Stück Brot, und so gering ist eigentlich mein Interesse an diesem Thema. Hier aber wurde es wirklich schön und leicht nachvollziehbar verarbeitet.
Phasenweise ist mir die Erzählung zu romantisch und auch der Plot ist sehr leicht nachvollziehbar, aufgrund der wirklich schönen Erzählkunst fällt dies aber kaum auf, besser gesagt m
Mar 06, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Margaret
Shelves: ebook
I had read this series as a teenager and loved it -- and also remembered it as being tantalizingly smutty. I didn't much expect it to hold up, but I got the preview and felt drawn into the story immediately.

It was nowhere near as smutty as I remembered, but it was just as good a fantasy novel. I've been playing dragon age, and the mythology surrounding demons is remarkably similar -- I wonder if one of the game designers was a fan of the series.

Anyway, it was an interesting fantasy filled with
Oyceter
Jul 19, 2007 Oyceter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
i don't remember this very well. the author tries to go for a sexy combination of djinn and magic worker, but i remember it being too bloody and not sexy for me.
♥ Unaeve ♥
Dec 25, 2010 ♥ Unaeve ♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very enjoyable
looking forward to the next two parts
Rebecca Huston
Different cover than what you see here.
Lindley Walter-smith
An interesting premise and appealing start begins to fall apart by the second half of this book, until the fun magical protection plot is almost entirely overwhelmed by descriptions of the narrator's wet dreams (quite literally) and an unlikeable cast.

Part of the problem is the three main characters. Dion is badly motivated throughout and frequently proves herself too stupid to live, only to be saved by her super special magical powers. One of the worst examples of poor motivation is Dion becom
Jessica Peveler
I thought there were a couple of minor details omitted in character descriptions, but the story became so interesting I could not put this book down. Author has her own unique world that was intriguing--a blend of fantasy and real-world ideas. I'm eager to find out what happens in the next two books. I would say more about the story, but I can't without it being a spoiler....
Firefly_1824
Great series (Mage Heart, Fire Angels, and Aramaya). Definately a must read for fantasy/magic fans. For the serious readers. You can read them on their own without too much trouble, as well. However, they are out of print in America, and hard to get.
Joni Asselmans
Apr 04, 2016 Joni Asselmans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth time i've read this book I think??
I still love it. I know I will read it again in the future.
It takes you to a whole different world. It shows how women are being oppressed and how they try
to take care of themselves without losing their identity.
In fact the young women in this book is still looking for who she is. Her entire life people have been telling her how to act and behave and what to think about curtain matters.
Now she can make up her own mind about the things aroun
Ticonderoga Publications
Standard Ticonderoga Disclaimer: We published this book because we loved it!
Rafira
Dec 11, 2012 Rafira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
holy shit fucking a+ book favourite book series omg
Clodagh
Sep 04, 2012 Clodagh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hahaha I knew he was evil. Mwahaha
Megan Hook
May 06, 2009 Megan Hook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan Hook by: Danielle
This book is so good! Wonderfully written, captivating characters, and a beautiful balance of romance, shocking, funny, adventure...
Siavahda ★
Siavahda ★ marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Brooke Cooper
Brooke Cooper marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Franz
Franz rated it it was ok
May 09, 2016
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Wendy Fairfull
Wendy Fairfull marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Gaia
Gaia marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Stacia
Stacia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Ilona
Ilona marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Goodreads Sci-Fi/...: Great review 2 13 Oct 20, 2014 10:17PM
Goodreads Authors...: Great review 2 17 Oct 19, 2014 05:51AM
  • Child of Saturn (The Green Lion Trilogy, Book 1)
  • Jerlayne
  • Nameless Magery
  • Midsummer Night (Aetherial Tales, #2)
  • The Eye of Night
  • Water Waltz (Elemental Attraction, #1)
  • Realm of Light (The Ruby Throne Trilogy, #3)
  • Memory of Morning
  • Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy, #1)
  • The Hidden Queen (Anghara Kir Hama, #1)
  • Heresy (Aquasilva Trilogy, #1)
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • Wind from a Foreign Sky (Tielmaran Chronicles, #1)
  • The Shadow Gate
  • Fire in the Mist (Arhel, #1)
  • More Minds (Minds, #2)
  • The Crimson Outlaw
  • Seraphim (Changelings, #1)
I write fantasy with strong women characters.
I’ve published 3 books as me – Mage Heart and the Aurealis award winners Fire Angels and Aramaya, and one book as Rebecca Locksley – The Three Sisters. My short stories have been widely anthologized, appeared in Meanjin and read on the ABC.
My favourite writers are Jane Austen, Angela Carter, Sara Douglass, Janet Evanovich, and Gail Carriger.

My current l
More about Jane Routley...

The Chronicles of Dion Trilogy (3 books)
  • Fire Angels (The Chronicles of Dion #2)
  • Aramaya (The Chronicles of Dion #3)