Start by marking “Oulipo Compendium” as Want to Read:
Oulipo Compendium

Oulipo Compendium

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Poetry. Make Now Press of Los Angeles and Atlas Press of London have released a revised and updated edition of The OULIPO COMPENDIUM in a limited edition print run of 1,000 copies to be released from Los Angeles and 1,000 copies to be released from London. THE OULIPO COMPENDIUM is a dictionary of mathematical constraints used in the composition of literature. The Oulipo's ...more
Published December 1st 2005 by Make Now Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Oulipo Compendium, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oulipo Compendium

MJ Nicholls
This is the seminal English text on the Oulipo in print and contains a comprehensive list of their constraints in practice. The Oulipo can make writing seem fresh and fun again when you have tired of turning out another mediocre paragraph, another attempt to scratch out a literary mainstream novel, another barrelful of shoddy sentences. On the other hand, plenty of these constraints are for professionals only, as the difficulty in putting them into practice (meaningfully), is truly reserved for ...more
This book will either drive you insane with hatred, or you'll love it to death. It will take no prisoners. For those who love literature as word-playing and if you have a strong love for Raymond Queneau or Georges Perec's writing - this volume published by the great Atlas press is just for you.
Adam Floridia
1) a ruse since i scan, i view some versos. i no view sum.

Translation: I'm lying. I didn't "finish" this book. It's not one to be read cover to cover. This is one of those fine books that should always be no more than an arms length away. It is a collection of the mad creative genius writing constraints dreamed up by the mad creative geniuses of OuLiPo. For anyone unfamiliar with the OUvroir de LIttérature POtentielle ("workshop of potential literature"), it was a group of, mainly, writers and m
Liam Guilar
"Oulipians: rats who construct the labyrinth from which they plan to escape".
Presumably on the basis that the more complicated the labyrinth, the harder the rat has to work, the better it feels IF it escapes.
This book elevates literary insanity to a glorious art form.
Mark Hebwood
Fantastic! Everything you ever needed to know about Oulipo.

What? No, the book has more than one paragraph! Unbelievable. Some people have a cheek... Ok let me rephrase then.

Fantastic! Everything you ever wanted to know about Oulipo.

You wouldn't even need a parapgraph for that? Ok that does it. I give up and do my review without an imagined reader interrupting me all the time.

Yes, some may regard Oulipo and its related groups as highly esoteric forms of experimental art, and I suppose they are,
This is massive, and while even explained some of the Oulipo's experiments remain impenetrable, there is just so much here, from both a historical perspective and that of a tome for inspiration. Although I question the limited inclusion of the other Ou-x-Pos, as there really isn't much offered to get an idea of the project (OuLiPoPo, despite having the second largest section, is particularly obtuse).
Oulipo doesn't take any prisoners - you are either into it or you're not. And that's perfectly ok. Small club into word or narrative games. Writing as a science with a side of surrealist playfulness. A must for those who are curious and open to have their literature take them to other places. Even silly places!
Crazy, intriguing, amazing. There's the point of an exercise being just that, an exercise, yes. But it makes sense to prove something, to challenge yourself in a way that opens your boundaries.
Stuart Macalpine
This was a must read for the intellectually curious! :) a bit odd but...
Worth it for Queneau's 100,000,000,000,000 poems alone!
I hesitated to say it but... this is junk. Not that I've read it from cover to cover. I probably never will.

I'm sympathetic to the central idea of Oulipo... I think. Anyway, yeah, devise constraints, make your own goofy rules, use math and secret schemes to guide your work. Fine.

But Oulipo brought together *some* very talented writers (Queneau and Calvino are among my favorite artists). Individually they did some great things, and the idea behind Oulipo may have served each of them in his/her ow
Peter Auster describes this book as, 'a late 20th century kabala'. It is! It's my book of secrets and mystical word games. My bible of literary fun. It inspires me to do so much more than merely write stories. I have not read it from cover to cover, but I have devoured it, bit by bit, many times over.
oulipo=ouvroir de litterature potentielle (workshop for potential literature). one of the founders, raymond queneau, describes oulipians as "rats who build the labyrinth from which they plan to escape." ha! a delightful collection of their exercises and works.
A comprehensive, yet not complete, look at Oulipo (Workshop for Potential Literature), its members, some of their works, and its writing strategies/theories/experiments. Also includes sections on some of the other Ou-x-po groups, like Oulipopo and Oupeinpo.
I've browsed enough of this to consider it "read" for a reference work, though I have yet to get through all of Queneau's 100,000,000,000,000 poems--all of which are included! Nice party trick for the nerds...
En uvurderlig leksikon over OuLiPos mange finurlige projekter og forfattere. Anbefales til alle med bare lidt interesse i eksperimental litteratur. En skattekiste!
Ok, I like the idea of Ou-x-po, but the products really stink. And this book is so ponderously obnoxious I had to fling it away.
Ivan A.
amazing that this group still gathers! crazy, fascinating and readable .. literature completely different!
less inspirational than i'd've imagined. but then again, i didn't have much time sitting with it.
AJ Dehany
The definitive introduction and reference and resource for all things Oulipian.
Excellent anthology of one of my favorite literary "groups".
Currently I've lent this to Jasen...
poo lie umm cop die
Danielle marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Lisa Jacobs
Lisa Jacobs marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Carly Micó
Carly Micó marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Louise marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
  • How I Wrote Certain of My Books
  • Darkness Moves: An Henri Michaux Anthology, 1927-1984
  • A Humument: A Treated Victorian Novel
  • Chanson Dada: Selected Poems
  • Poems for the Millennium, Vol. 1: Modern and Postmodern Poetry from Fin-de-Siècle to Negritude
  • Why I Have Not Written Any of My Books
  • The Language of Inquiry
  • I Can't Go On, I'll Go On: A Samuel Beckett Reader
Alfred Jarry: A Pataphysical Life Raymond Roussel: Life, Death and Works (Atlas Anthology, No 4) A True History Of The College Of 'Pataphysics Surrealist Games Atlas Anthology Three (Atlas Anthology, #3)