Start by marking “They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God: The Role of Celebration in Preaching” as Want to Read:
They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God: The Role of Celebration in Preaching

They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God: The Role of Celebration in Preaching

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"This work starts admittedly where I left off, and carries the topic of celebration well beyond. The author has explored and analyzed and come up with crucial insights and needed terminology with which to further the scholarly discussion and increase the understandings needed in the classroom.... Frank Thomas has contributed much to the meeting of this need, probing celebr ...more
Published May 1st 1997 by Pilgrim Press

To ask other readers questions about They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God

Dr. Michael
May 02, 2012 Dr. Michael rated it really liked it
This easy read is a great addition to the dialog on the role of celebration in preaching. Dr. Thomas argues that celebration need not take on predictable forms found in any particular culture or within any particular group - but that the celebration comes from a much deeper place where the human experience transgresses the lines of race, culture, age, and gender. A place where the experience of life may be born of different events - but the human response to pain, suffering, fear, hope, joy, des ...more
Emily
Confession: I did not read the whole book, but I have every intention of coming back to it because the half assigned for class was wonderful. Thomas is clearly a seasoned preacher who knows exactly what celebration is, how to do it, and what its purposes are. Certainly I, and others in my own tradition, could learn a lot about celebration from him.

Four stars for editing, not Thomas' writing; my edition was so riddled with typos that it distracted from the content.
Bob
Aug 14, 2015 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I really learned a lot from this book on some of the best historical and contemporary features of African-American preaching. Robust with examples and very challenging to those of us overly committed to merely cognitive-appeal only philosophies of preaching.
Chuck
Nov 01, 2013 Chuck rated it really liked it
Frank Thomas provides a detailed look into the philosophy and practice of Celebrative Preaching. For those of us who have been moved by the power of celebration in African-American preaching, this inside look helps us understand what is involved in the preparation of sermons that sing.

Personally, I came away with new insight into incorporating more power of emotional movement into my own preaching. His sermon work sheet has potential for any of us who spend our time trying to figure out how to m
Sean-david
Sep 11, 2010 Sean-david rated it really liked it
I purchased this book for a class, and it really was a great read. Fascinating insight into the African American preaching tradition, and also important components of Gospel preaching that every preacher should consider.
Chris
Oct 31, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: class-union, black, church
A highly useful homiletic, with a welcome nut-and-bolts character. Especially useful for White preachers considering adding celebration to their toolbox.
Kiswana
May 18, 2013 Kiswana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
I'm very biased on this review because Dr. Thomas is like a second father, but this book is outstanding. If you want to preach better, get this book!
Michael R.
Michael R. is currently reading it
May 20, 2016
Melisa Blankenship
Melisa Blankenship rated it liked it
May 19, 2016
Adam Schwadron
Adam Schwadron marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Barry
Barry marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Levi Jones
Levi Jones rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Jay Johnson
Jay Johnson rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Mark
Mark rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016
Chris
Chris added it
Mar 01, 2016
Haley
Haley rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Philip Barbier
Philip Barbier rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Andrea Perrett
Andrea Perrett marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Cynthia Pharr
Cynthia Pharr rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
Cathy
Cathy added it
Dec 06, 2015
Luther Chambers
Luther Chambers marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
David Smith
David Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2015
William Horne
William Horne rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Wanda Rice
Wanda Rice marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Tim Hahn
Tim Hahn rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2015
Jesse W.
Jesse W. rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2015