Start by marking “Careless Whispers” as Want to Read:
Careless Whispers

Careless Whispers

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  259 ratings  ·  24 reviews
When the bodies of three teenagers were found on the shores of Lake Waco, Texas in July, 1982, even seasoned lawmen were taken aback by the savage mutilation and degradation they had been subjected to. Yet only 52 days after the gruesome triple-murder was discovered, frustrated authorities suspended the case indefinitely.

Patrol Sergeant Truman Simons, who had been called...more
Published January 15th 2001 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published January 15th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Careless Whispers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Careless Whispers

Willow
Growing up in Waco I remember when all of this happened and of course followed the case in the local media. And yet reading this book brought everything into a different light than the local news could have ever done. I know a couple of the people named in the book and never have I seen or heard anything to indicate the story was anything than purely what the author wrote.

I enjoy true crime stories and this one being local held special interest. For those who believe this is what Waco (and Bran...more
Tommy
One of the best true-crime books!!
Jeannie
I understand why this won an Edgar Award, Carlton Stowers is not only a great writer but makes you really know and care about the people he is writing about. This has got to be one of the Top Ten BEST True Crime books I have ever read and that's saying a lot. A senseless and brutal crime inflicted on 3 innocent teenagers, this just broke my heart. I hated knowing this book was coming to an end, I tried to slow myself down but found myself up till 3 am last night just having to finish. Sorry Ann...more
Marilyn
True Crime: Sad story about 3 teenagers murdered in Lake Waco, TX.

A small store owner, from one of the Eastern Countries, was out to get a wife, at any cost, so he could stay in America. One of the girls that he asked to marry him kind of teased him and many girls took advantage of him as he gave them free goodies/drugs from his store to win their approval.

He bought an insurance policy on the "tease" and then asked a fellow to kill her. The fellow got desperately drunk and the three teenagers...more
Lesley
Aug 06, 2007 Lesley rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any true-crime lover
I saw Carlton Stowers speak at a writing conference recently, and on the strength of his speech, I went out and bought this book. I ended up reading it in two or three days. (Very fast for me.) It's the true story of three teenagers who were murdered in Waco, TX in 1982, and the resulting trial two years later. Stowers tells the story in all of its gruesome detail, including how the police botched the investigation and how the victims' families struggled with the loss of their loved one. An engr...more
Alvesa
Mar 01, 2009 Alvesa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Alvesa by: read for a class
Shelves: true-crime
The BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!! This is the first true crime book I read and fell in love with these types of books...I was taking an investigations class and had to read this book and reinvestigate the story...This book was so well written that I felt that I was there....I have read lots of Carlton Stowers books and all of them have been awesome...He is a local author and has written about a true crime that occured within his family...I will continue to read his books....
Sunsette
This is a very detailed, well-written account of what was deemed the lake murders in Waco, Texas quite a few years back. It's a sad, disturbing story that takes you into the minds of almost everyone involved.
Shannon Martinson
Good, but disturbing, for a couple of reasons.
First, because of the horrific nature of the three murders. The descriptions of the victims when they were found left me crying.
Second, because of the attitudes of many in the Waco law enforcement community, who sometimes appeared not to care whether the torture and murder of three teenagers in their city was ever solved. At times they seemed to be going out of their way to prevent the crime from being solved. It was maddening that anyone would plac...more
Kathryn
I had more than a passing interest in this case, since I knew one of the people mentioned in the book. Interesting case. But anyone who reads this book should know that most of the facts of the case have been disputed, and it's very likely that the "perpetrators" in this book, were the real murderers. Later information (including DNA) shows that these guys were probably innocent of these murders, including the one guy who was executed for it.
Jenn
This is a true crime tale I had no knowledge of. Waco, to me, was only famous for the religious stand off many years ago. However, years before that, three teens were viciously murdered at the lake and it took years to bring the culprits to a trial.
I never felt sorry for David Spence. He was cruel, sadistic and just plain mean. His cohorts, the Melendez brothers, deserved the death penalty as well but seemed to squeak by with multiple terms of life in prison. What a shame I learned nothing about...more
terri Schwartzkopf
This is a wonderful book a must read

this is a great book. It keeps your interest. gives lots of detail. you will love the ending.
a little long but very good.
Clint
Feb 04, 2013 Clint rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This was alright, I guess, much better than the last true crime book I read, but I'm so tired of these books covering stuff like the backgrounds of the victims (I don't care) and psychics, ghosts, spirits back from the dead. There's a lot less of that in this book than in some others, but it's still there.

Pretty gruesome triple-killing by some fucking deadbeats in Texas. Cop goes all-out to nail the guys. He wins.
Lenny
It was an excellent story. Hard to believe it was true, because it was so strange. Between fortune tellers and psychics. The only problem I had with the author was that he skipped from character to character too much. It reminded me of John Dos Passos. You need a scorecard to keep all the characters straight.
Joyce Nichols
I have lived in Waco all my life and I have read this book. The first time gave me nightmares. I drove by some of the places regularly and then to think that those kids where around made me feel so sad. Officer Stowers put his name and time to put to rest the kids and give peace to the families. I will never forget
Lyn
Feb 01, 2011 Lyn marked it as to-read
Shelves: may-never-read
I own the book. Never made it much past the opener. One of the victims was a friend. Maybe someday I'll make it past the gruesome opening descriptions. Mr Stowers pulled no punch.
Brenda
Carlton Stowers is an icon-author in the true crime genre. We have read every book that he has brilliantly authored. Consistently fantastic!
Bella
One of the first Texas true crime books I ever read. Horrifying account well-written by Carlton Stowers and got me hooked on his work.
Sue
Breath of fresh air after reading so many less-than-interesting run-of-the-mill crime books. Very, very well-written. Fantastic.
Theresa
Great true murder book that was hard for the author to keep straight but he did an excellent job doing it.
Shelley
texans are messed up. i'll never be able to drive through waco with a clear head again.
Cynthia Watkins
I lived in Waco when this happened and it hit way too close to home!
Wolf's kitten
This is a truly scary, true story.
Mary
true crime - Waco murders
Carrie Emery
Carrie Emery marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Cindy Goss
Cindy Goss marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Michelle Malone
Michelle Malone marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Jennifer Wilkins
Jennifer Wilkins marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • The Misbegotten Son
  • Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • Fatal: The Poisonous Life of a Female Serial Killer
  • Beyond Belief: The Moors Murderers. The Story of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Hunting Humans: The Rise of the Modern Multiple Murderer
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • Abandoned Prayers: The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession and Amish Secrets
  • Unanswered Cries: A True Story Of Friends, Neighbors, And Murder In A Small Town
  • Under the Bridge: The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk
  • Worth More Dead and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #10)
  • In Broad Daylight
To the Last Breath Scream at the Sky: Five Texas Murders and One Man's Crusade for Justice Open Secrets Innocence Lost Sins of the Son