When the World Shook: Being an Account of the Great Adventure of Bastin, Bickley, and Arbuthnot
read book* *Different edition

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Out-of-print for many years, When the World Shook is a classic text which tells of the terror of a ghost town. The streets were empty, and so were the buildings, this city could not have been more dead had it been on the moon.'
Published March 1st 1999 by Pulp (first published 1919)

To ask other readers questions about When the World Shook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the World Shook

Elijah Kinch Spector
[Full review is on my blog.]

"All I know is that I am not talking of reunion in Mr. Bastin’s kind of conventional heaven, which he speaks about as though to reach it one stumbled through darkness for a minute into a fine new house next door, where excellent servants had made everything ready for your arrival and all the lights were turned up."
- H. Rider Haggard, When the World Shook, page 38 (HiLoBrow edition)

When the World Shook is a beautiful and silly book. It has very clear flaws and is defin...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
I'm not going to claim that Haggard even at his best is the same order of classic as the best by Charles Dickens, the Brontes, George Eliot or Thomas Hardy. But like fellow Victorians Arthur Conan Doyle or Robert Louis Stevenson or Rudyard Kipling, Haggard really could spin a good yarn, and the fantasy genre in general owes him a great debt. Ten of his books are on my bookshelves. I gobbled those up in my teens and most I remember very, very well even decades later. My favorite of his novels inv...more
Robert Lebling
When the World Shook by H. Rider Haggard is an unusual if flawed piece of early science fiction, laced with philosophy, religion, colonial anthropology, romance and humor.

It is a post-Victorian novel, written during World War I, and the conflict impinges upon the narrative in various ways. When the World Shook was first published in serial form in the British Christian evangelical magazine The Quiver in 1918, at the end of the war, and was released as a novel the following year.

The author, Sir H...more
Sandy
In 1916, as World War I raged, Henry Rider Haggard, then 60 years old, started to compose his 48th novel, out of an eventual 58. Originally called "The Glittering Lady," the novel was ultimately released in 1919 under the title we know today, "When the World Shook," and turned out to be still another wonderful book from this celebrated author, in which many of his old favorite themes (lost civilizations, reincarnation, love that survives beyond the grave) are revisited, but with a new spin. As i...more
Steve Joyce
"What you think magic - is not magic." - The Lady Yva

In When the World Shook, H. Rider Haggard manages to mix together a quarter of a million year old culture, epistemological mysteries and theological philosophy, prescient seafarers, death dealing glances, World War I, a "Journey to the Center of the Earth", advanced flying machines, storms at sea, a lost island, telepathy and 4th dimensional teleportation, suspended animation, ancient Armageddon, idol worshipers, hints at space travel, long de...more
Paul Tupper
I think I only needed to read one H. Rider Haggard book in my life. I should have stopped with She. This book is fun, but it really drags (and the edition I read had already been abridged.)
Cindy
This is an excellent example of narrative fiction. Haggard make the reader feel as though they are sitting in the pleasantly-narcissistic Humphrey Arbuthnot's drawing room with a cup of tea, while the old man takes advantage of having an audience to recount his self-absorbed, youthful adventures. The story itself is steeped in Masonic mysticism and is a lively, sometimes humorous adventure. While a late work for Haggard, it is a very good place for readers to introduce themselves to his vast lib...more
Nick
A good read !
Idalina
Idalina marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Oksana Gantukh
Oksana Gantukh marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Cole
Cole is currently reading it
Jul 09, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
David  Sam
David Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Sid333
Sid333 marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Sheilalayoli
Sheilalayoli marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Carol
Carol is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
Diamond
Diamond marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Bonnie Lawson
Bonnie Lawson is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon...more
More about H. Rider Haggard...
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain The People of the Mist Ayesha: The Return of She