Pitschi

Pitschi

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews
On Lisette's farm there are many animals. Lisette loves her animals and they are all very happy--except Pitschi, the smallest kitten. Pitschi wants to be something different. It takes a terrifying night in a strange place and a warm homecoming for Pitschi to discover that what she really wants is to be a kitten after all. Full color.
Published October 1st 1996 by NorthSouth (first published 1947)

Becky
Totally picked this up because of the cover: a cat AND a moon. This utterly adorable picture book, first published in 1947, has been re-released by North South Books, who always seems to print the coolest books from across the ocean (http://www.northsouth.com). Pitschi is "a kitten who always wanted to be something else," and I think this could make a fun puppet show or storytelling with some tweaking.

Hans Fischer has a great way with line, much like Jules Feiffer; some of his kittens seem to be...more
Tasha
Originally published in Switzerland in 1947 and then first published in the US in 1953, this book is a classic that I had never read before. Old Lisette has two cats, five kittens, and a dog who are near her playing as she knits outside. That is all of the kittens are playing except for one who is sitting still and dreaming. Pitschi is much more interested in exploring and dreaming than playing with her siblings. So off she heads into the farmyard. There she finds a rooster who struts proudly. P...more
Kristen
Mar 24, 2011 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: children, cat-lovers
Recommended to Kristen by: Lerner Publishing Group
I bought this hard-bound copy at the 2011 ALA Midwinter Conference, and I plan to give it to a friend's child soon. The pictures capture many characteristics of a cat that only someone who is a cat-lover can convey. Pitschi, the little scrawny black cat (with a tuxedo coat of color), endures an epic journey in which she ponders what it would be like to be many other animals, survives an illness with bravery and Madeleine-esque vulnerability, and discovers how many, many farm animals have become...more
Carla
I'm trying to cut back on the number of children's books I buy (they're slowly taking over my house!), but I couldn't resist this lovely book about a kitten who wants to be something else. The illustrations are lovely, and Pitschi, the main character, is spirited.
Tamara
Becky's right: the kitten tucked into the huge bed is definitely the best illustration, as it is completely adorable.

I do wonder about creating a list of picture books with animals dealing with identity crises. There seem to be a lot of them!

Favorite Quote:

Sleeping on a bench next to her were the cats Mauli and Ruli. Their five kittens had just turned six weeks old. Two of them, Grigri and Groggi, were wrestling. Patschi was playing with a ball of wool, and Negri was trying to climb to broom....more
Sabine
Da war ein grosser Zeichner am Werk! Entsprechend eingängig sind die Bilder, die man sein Leben lang nicht mehr vergessen wird.
Die Geschichte erzählt vom kleinen Pitschi, das nicht mit seinen Geschwistern spielen will, sondern ein anderes Tier sein möchte. Ein Hahn? Eine Ziege? Eine Ente? Ein Hase? Oh, Pitschi gerät in grosse Not und die Kinder müssen um es zittern! Aber natürlich geht alles gut aus!
Teresa
This is a story of a kitten that wants to be anything but a kitten. He tries to be so many other things but as he tries each one he learns he doesn't want to be that after all. Great story to read when students are trying to be something their not or are not happy with themselves.
Tara
Too long for storytime, but a beautiful story about a kitten who tried being all the other animals on the farm until she learned to be happy being herself.
Margaret
My favorite book when I was little. Every time we went to the library, I would ask to take it home
Karl
Great illustrations, but not much of a story.
Yoshimi
Yoshimi marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
May 26, 2013
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Jen
Jen added it
Nov 15, 2012
Shoshana
Shoshana marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2012
The Traveling Musicians A History of the Central Limit Theorem: From Classical to Modern Probability Theory Wer Jetzig Zeiten Leben Will: Chorbuch Fur Sopran, Alt Und Bariton Vergleichende Pharmakologie Von Ubertragersubstanzen in Tiersystematischer Darstellung Wege Zur Deutschen Musik: Die Musik Im Schaffen Der Grossen Meister Und Im Leben Des Volkes