Start by marking “A Question of Class” as Want to Read:
A Question of Class

A Question of Class

United to exact revenge on a common enemy, they discover passion is the ultimate reward.

On the strength of her wit and intelligence, Catherine Delcour climbed from Connecticut poverty to opulent Paris society. But once in New York, her lowly past is a scandal her wine merchant husband won't tolerate. After five years of marriage, Morris announces their union isn't valid
Published May 5th 2014 by Lyrical Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about A Question of Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Question of Class

Katie Kofemug
May 03, 2014 Katie Kofemug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is a shiny debut novel that opens with a blessing and curse: “Unfortunately, my dear, we were never married.” I loved how that declaration made me gasp and Catherine reel. Within the first paragraphs I despised her not-husband, Morris Delcour. I held my breath when she made her first escape attempt and failed; was impressed that she managed to return without losing her dignity or dinner. That Benjamin Thomas has the honor of being her salvation and the enforcer of her captivity before the e ...more
Gemma Brocato
Apr 14, 2014 Gemma Brocato rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Question of Class opens with a bang when Catherine Delcour's husband, Morris, announces he'd duped her into thinking she'd married him on board a ship bound for France. While they lived there, Catherine had served her purpose well. She was charming and a highly anticipated guest at the various social events they attended, making her the ideal partner for helping Morris further his wine distribution business.

Upon their return to New York, they find Society is more stringent about whom they adm
Tera Shanley
Apr 10, 2014 Tera Shanley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A highly enjoyable read, A Question of Class explores a complicated relationship with heart pounding action and intrigue. At fifteen, Catherine rose from a desperate situation and married above her station. It wasn't until Mr. Delcour, her brutish and swindling husband reveals their marriage isn't what it seems that Catherine has to take her future into her own hands.

The heroine is strong and tenacious, and fiercely loyal, despite an unfortunate turn of events that leaves her scrambling to prote
Joanne Wadsworth
Gorgeous read. A classy debut.

Catherine Delcour marries above her station and then discovers she wed her brutish husband illegally. Desperate to ensure her own future and protect those she loves, she must lay her trust in the very hands of the man her husband has sent to supervise her.

Bejamin Thomas though isn’t all he seems. He wishes to avenge his sister’s death and take Catherine’s husband down, only his vow not to touch another man’s wife becomes an even harder mission for him to undertake.

S
Theresa Brandt
Mar 24, 2015 Theresa Brandt rated it did not like it
Ridiculous

I have very limited patience with schizophrenic protagonists. Catherine, a woman wha had been sorely used, abused and about to be literally discarded by her husband, flees to one of her two friends, Percy Bonneville. Unfortunately he is no better than her husband with his offer to keep her as his mistress. At that point she swears off men all together which is certainly understandable. So why, in the very next scene is she making out (kissing, exposing her breasts) with the man her hus
Aubrey Brangham
Mar 28, 2015 Aubrey Brangham rated it did not like it
I only chose this book because it was a free offering. The characterization was poor at best; I can't even really tell you what anyone looked like much less their character qualities. One minute the heroine is swearing off men, the next she's in bed with them. I finished it only because it was short. Not worth the read
Tanya
Mar 23, 2015 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Great read

This was a nice love story I look forward to reading more by this author I'm glad I found her book
Abbey Chute
Mar 28, 2015 Abbey Chute rated it really liked it
Omg I loved it!!

I loved it!! I wished they'd taken Freddie with them but I figured and hoped it ended the way it did!! I now wanna own a vineyard either in France or Italy lol
Noelia
Mar 29, 2015 Noelia rated it did not like it
There should be a shelf for historically INACCURATE fiction. Are we supposed to give extra stars to ebooks that are free? I can't understand how this one could have such a high rating on Goodreads.
Joni
Mar 21, 2015 Joni rated it it was ok
It kept my attention long enough to finish it, but that's because it was short.
Grace
Apr 19, 2016 Grace rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: DO NOT READ. NOT FOR HUMAN EYES.
Let me give you an example just how nonsensical and awful this book is.

It is the book's climax. The two lovers know that her perceived husband is on his way to stop them and they must leave quickly in order to escape his terrible clutches. There is no time to lose! They must depart with all haste!

And then... this happens.
Benjamin helped her out of her dress and let it fall to the floor. He pulled her gently toward the bed and undressed.
[insert long fart noises here]

Here I thought the most hea
Patty McKenna Van Hulle
A Question of Class by Julia Tagan
Julia Tagan

I love the saying, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." This book takes this saying and runs away with it. With hilarious and creative situations, a mismatched and crazy couple take on Manhattan and even Bridgeport!

Catherine Delcour has been used by all the men in her like. Her father drunk himself to death, while she struggled to care for her infant sister, Sophie. Mr. Allen, who raised her after her father, liked to look and even touch her young body. Her husband of 5 years, Morr
Denise Van plew
Jun 02, 2014 Denise Van plew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this novel once I turned the pages I am immediately transported back in time, oh joy I get to time travel ha ha. Anyways I am always delighted to do see to see once again how things were plus get a taste and feel of people lived. In this novel I am introduced to Catherine who to her horror has learned that her life up until now has all been a sham with her no longer being useful to the arrogant user-Morris. In another place it did not matter who and what she was born into she was accepted ...more
My Secret Book Spot
Jun 24, 2014 My Secret Book Spot rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
A Question of Class by Julia Tagan
4 out of 5 Stars

A true regency romance with balls, scandal, handsome men, and a beautiful heroine who came from rags and lives in the riches of Paris and New York. However, where this lovely story turns into a special tale is our lovely heroine Catherine, is a chestnut haired, quick witted, independent minded, woman who has found out her marriage to the scheming, old jackass who took her to France at the age of 15, isn't even legal and he intends to send her off
Terric853
Mar 28, 2015 Terric853 rated it liked it
Cute, predictable, free. Catherine was "given" to her husband as a servant girl at 15. He became smitten with her on their voyage to France, where he is a wine merchant, and had the ship's captain marry them when she refuses his advances. Now, five years later, he announces that because it was a merchant ship, their marriage was no legal and he intends to ship her off to the West Indies, as her working-class origins are a liability to his social climbing schemes in 1810 New York society.

As he is
Pratr- Authors
May 23, 2014 Pratr- Authors rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Catherine grow up poor but married a rich man and thought life was the way it was supposed to be, until she learned her husband held a few very dark secrets. And when he told Catherine that the last 5 years of their marriage was a sham. Catherine is at a loss, she runs to her only 2 friends in the city.

Benjamin has been on the hunt to destroy the one man that ran away while his sister was being killed, Morris Delcour. When Benjamin locates Mr. Delcour he has been remarried and is looking for som
Elaine
Apr 18, 2015 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-challenge
The time is the mid 1800's. Catherine finds herself in New York City with Morris, who when he tires of her reveals that they were not really married at sea. The captain was not authorized to perform Weddings! Morris realizes that Catherine's low class background is a deterent to his business dealings with the NY elite. For this reason he plans on sending her to Haiti.
Catherine discovers that Morris is defauding his clients by selling them a poor quality French wine that he declares is excellen
Gail
Oct 05, 2015 Gail rated it it was ok
About the only reason I continued reading this was to find out how Catherine was going to outwit her captive, Morris. Her foster parents gave her to him when she was 15 to be his servant, but he decided she was attractive and could serve him better in other ways so he arranged a bogus wedding. They were married for 5 years when he informed her that they weren't married and he was done with her and would be shipping her to the West Indies. Catherine is determined to outwit him, but how will she ...more
Danny Revelant
May 16, 2015 Danny Revelant rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Filled with amazing characters, sadness turned to joy, and intrigue! Timeless love, false torturous relationships, I found myself carried along with Catherine, Benjamin and finally Sophie through her horrid "marriage" to Delcoir and her changes of fortune, back biting cruel characters they met along the way, and very satisfying conclusion. Excellent!
Brianne Whitley
May 03, 2015 Brianne Whitley rated it really liked it
Quick short read. There are some raunchy scenes so beware! It was a fun historical romance where you read about Catherine trying to stay away from her past, yet rescue her sister with a mean bully of a husband. It was an enjoyable story reading about her adventures and how she tries to deal with everything. Good read.
Brianne Whitley
May 25, 2015 Brianne Whitley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara
Mar 26, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
Quick enjoyable read

The hero seeks revenge and the heroine seeks independence. Along the way they find each other. Their relationship grows from mistrust of each other, thru need of each other, and finally into an enduring, lasting love. Sweet story. Quick read.
Phyllis Stinson
Mar 19, 2015 Phyllis Stinson rated it really liked it
Great Read

This was a quick and exciting read. I used to think I wanted to live back in history but after reading so many historical books, I am so glad I wasn't born then. Cruel, snobby, mean aristocrats!
Kathy Bunbury
May 28, 2015 Kathy Bunbury rated it liked it
Interesting view of society

New York in this story seemed even more class conscience than London during the same period. The story kept me interested, but I did not feel invested in the characters, I'm left with the feeling that there could have been more....
Elsie
Mar 23, 2015 Elsie rated it liked it
I'm a sucker for regency historical novels, I blame Jane Austen. This novel is entertaining enough and well written enough to enjoy.
Linda Welcome
May 01, 2015 Linda Welcome rated it it was amazing
Terrific Read

Great character development. Exciting twists and turns. Never a dull moment. I think you will truly enjoy this book as much as I did.OkI
Carla
Oct 22, 2015 Carla rated it really liked it
Adventure and romance

A great historical romance. Nice to find something slightly different from the rest. Likable and relatable heroine. Will gladly read more by this author.
Loraine E.  Moore
Nov 03, 2015 Loraine E. Moore rated it it was amazing
A non stop read

I was unable to put my Kindle down once I started reading this book.The constant tension between Ben and Cathy and then the ending.Wow.
Macaela
Macaela rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Trish
Trish rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2015
  • Lady Star (Sir Edward Series, #2)
  • Enter the Brethren (Brethren of the Coast, #1)
  • The Gangster's Kiss (Love is a Dangerous Thing, #1)
  • Wilderness Trail of Love (American Wilderness, #1)
  • Once Upon a Rake
  • Songs of the Shenandoah (Heirs of Ireland #3)
  • Mine, All Mine
  • There is a Reaper
  • Ill Wind and Dead Reckoning (Valkyrie #1 & #2)
  • The Tenacious Miss Tamerlane (Alphabet Series, #2)
  • Beauty and the Spymaster (Brotherhood of the Falcon, #1)
  • The Onesies: Summer (Totlandia #4)
  • Coulson's Wife (The Coulson Series #1)
  • A Paper Mask
  • Marblestone Mansion  (Scandalous Duchess, #1)
  • Grounds for Change (Welcome to Redemption, #4)
  • Courage Begins: A Ray Courage Mystery Novella (Ray Courage Mystery, #0.5)
  • Beyond the Cliffs of Kerry (Bold Women of the 18th Century, #1)

“Once Theodora had disappeared” 0 likes