Start by marking “Burn Notice: The Fix (Burn Notice, #1)” as Want to Read:
Burn Notice: The Fix (Burn Notice, #1)

Burn Notice: The Fix (Burn Notice #1)

Covert spy Michael Westen has found himself in forced seclusion in Miami?and a little paranoid. Watched by the FBI, cut off from intelligence contacts, and with his assets frozen, Weston is on ice with a warning: stay there or get ?disappeared.? Driven to find out who burned him and why, he?s biding his time helping people with nowhere else to turn. People like socialite C ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 274 pages
Published August 5th 2008 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Burn Notice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burn Notice

Ransom
Dec 14, 2011 Ransom rated it it was ok
I love the show so I managed to get through this with a smile on my face, but I was disappointed. This is an episode and nothing more. There wasn't really any conflict. Everything always goes exactly as the heroes plan it. I kept waiting for that moment where the suspension of disbelief kicks in and you actually wonder if the good guys will win, but Tod Goldberg seemed to have forgotten that part. Instead, this is a book that didn't really need any villains. It's basically just a book about how ...more
Matthew
Jul 18, 2012 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Burn Notice is one of my favorite shows as it almost always keeps me engaged. The varying levels of humor compliments it quite nicely, and let's be honest, watching Michael Westen's ingenuity, though not always realistic, is entertaining. Burn Notice: The Fix is an attempt at taking a great show and expanding it into book form, with mixed results.

The plot is a bit muddled; somehow the primary and secondary plots were loosely tied together, but the book fails to establish the connection clearly a
Katie Paulson
Feb 09, 2011 Katie Paulson rated it it was amazing
I enjoy all of Tod Goldberg's Burn Notice books, but that's probably because I love the TV show. If you're a fan of the show, definitely check out the books. They read like an episode, and the thing that sets these companion books apart is the writing style. Goldberg has everyone's voice nailed down so well it's hard to believe he's not a writer for the show. Every time a character speaks, you can hear the actor speaking in your head. The plot is sometimes a little muddled - as they are on the s ...more
Todd
Jan 04, 2009 Todd rated it it was amazing
Tod did this one up well. From the voice overs by Michael to the descriptions of the characters, this book has the feel of Burn Notice down.

No spoilers I'll share, but this book has it's fair bit of show tie-in.

The mother, the brother, the relationship, and the angst of the burned spy. There are guns, explosions, and sexiness. I really enjoyed the play on Michael's relationships with the women in his life.

I felt like I could even hear Sam's voice in this book.

I look forward to more work by T
Tatiana
Dec 13, 2010 Tatiana rated it really liked it
Shelves: media-tie-in
If you're a fan of Burn Notice the TV show on USA Network, then you'll love this tie-in novel. The plot, the scene cuts, the dialogue...it's all written in the style of the show. Book!Micheal especially jumps off the page; I could hear Jeffrey Donovan's voice snarking almost every line. An enjoyable read!
John
Aug 31, 2011 John rated it really liked it
This is the first of the Burn Notice novels and, from what I've read, also the best. It fits the tone and style of the show to a tee. Good plot, too, which sometimes can't really be said for the later books in the series.
Donna LaValley
Nov 24, 2013 Donna LaValley rated it really liked it
Burn Notice is a television show I discovered about a year ago, and although my taste usually runs toward Masterpiece Theater or science documentaries on PBS, I found myself looking for all the reruns of it that I could find. It ran 6 (?) seasons and ended in October.

Some people enjoy B movies because they are fun and non-pretentious, or enjoy "guilty secret" viewing, like soaps or talk shows. This one is mine. I like it for the ensemble acting, action sequences (something gets blown up in ever
Cano
Oct 14, 2012 Cano rated it liked it
Burn Notice is one of my favorite shows. I liked the idea of a book to go along with the shows, leaving enough information out so that you could read it within a season without having too many things relying on what episode you watched first. The style of writing was similar to the show voice over, sarcastically witty and very knowledgeable.

But once you got down to the real action of the book, my liking for it took a sharp downturn. It was difficult to understand what exactly was happening as th
Scott
Dec 27, 2014 Scott rated it really liked it
This is an original novel based on the recent popular spy drama series, Burn Notice (which aired in the summers of 2007 and 2008 on the USA network and returns in January 2009 with more new episodes). Goldberg manages to take an extremely stylized TV series and capture much of that feel on the printed page. This novel makes extensive use of main character Michael Westen's "on-screen" narration -- a tribute to such 1980s series as Magnum, P.I., where the hero keeps up a running monologue to us in ...more
Rae
Apr 08, 2009 Rae rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Burn Notice, fans of spy stories
Shelves: tv
Tod Goldberg does a great job of capturing Michael’s voice and, since the voice-overs on the show give us a sense of experiencing things through Michael’s POV anyway, having the story here told that way worked well. Another reason his ability to capture Michael was so important. Fans of the show wouldn’t have made it past the first chapter if he’d had it wrong.

Tod also managed to do what the writers are doing so well this season, weave the burn notice story in and around the victim of the week
Tedero
Jun 02, 2009 Tedero rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Spy Fans, Burn Notice Fans
The Fix was an enjoyable read for anyone who is a fan of the tv series. The author did a great job capturing the ton of the show complete with all the fun spy facts we learn via Westen's clever inner monologue. The dialogue between the main characters were spot on and the story flowed just like an episode.

I'd recommend the book to anyone who enjoys the show. Fans of the espionage genre who have never seen the show may get lost in the character relationship subtext but Tod does a good job of pro
Joel Neff
Oct 22, 2008 Joel Neff rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the show.
Recommended to Joel by: TV Squad
Reading "Burn Notice: The Fix" is a lot like watching the t.v. show that it is based on. And that is a very good thing.

Tod Goldberg successfully captures the voice of the heroes of the show. He writes from the perspective of Michael Westin and gets it exactly right, down to the dry wit and matter-of-fact explanations of spy-tech. However, he also finds room in the story to give us a little more insight into the character by expanding on some of his thoughts that might not get vocalized in the s
Joan Reeves
Jun 02, 2012 Joan Reeves rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
Fun & True To Characters

Normally, I don't buy novelizations of movies or TV shows or books inspired by the same because the "voice" is seldom the same as the original visual production. I do make exceptions though -- like the books Lee Goldberg has written for Monk, Diagnosis Murder, and others.

Since Tod is Lee's brother, and writing talent seems to run in that family, I decided to pick up a copy of The Fix by Tod Goldberg, the first in what I hope will be a long Burn Notice series of books.
Sep 20, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Derek Bush
Feb 11, 2015 Derek Bush rated it liked it
Burn Notice: The Fix takes place somewhere in the second half of the first season. It does a good job of capturing the characters as they were at that point in the show and It follows the very episodic nature of the show at that time.

The best way to explain the book is to say that it's a filler episode. It's not a mid-season cliffhanger or a finale. What you get is Micheal and the team taking down some bad guys in typical fashion. What you don't get is any sort of emotional or overarching plot d
Martin
Sep 25, 2016 Martin rated it did not like it
Bad plotting. Story that meandered and was confusing in it's inability to resolve things sensibly. The characters read like caricatures of characters that are already fairly 2 dimensional on the TV show. Michael lacks any sense of humor and Fiona and Sam...well they don't do the TV characters any justice. The total lack of getting the "tone" of the show right in the book was disappointing. Seriously felt like this was a novel that hadn't been finished and the writer shoved in these characters an ...more
Muriel
Sep 28, 2008 Muriel rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2008
Really enjoyable book that captures the characters and the spirit of the USA Network series quite nicely. There were a few silly typos in the first few chapters that really annoyed me but once the author got into the action I was hooked. He really got the humor which is what really makes the show such a joy to watch... little asides that just crack you up.

The TV series lends itself to a series of books very nicely (you can simply view them as the missing adventure of Michael Weston & Co.) an
Ashley
Apr 18, 2009 Ashley rated it really liked it
To say this book was surprisingly good for a tie-in novel is completely true, but may be damning it with faint praise. I didn't expect to like this book, which provides great insight into the characters on the show, as much as I did. A solid, well-written novel in its own right, though some of the characters' backstories might be confusing if you haven't seen the show before. I'm curious to read more of Goldberg's original work. This novel, however, is a must for any fan of the TV show. And if y ...more
Crystal
Aug 11, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it
This book was as entertaining as the series. I did get confused in some areas of the book and had to go back and read the areas again before I understood. Don't know if it was because of me or the book. Either way, I didn't really it like it. Michael's character is like he is in the series, I like being able to get in his head a little bit. It was interesting. Not quite sure if its a good thing though. Maybe I like Michael's character to have that mystery. All in all, it was a good book but not ...more
Andrew
Oct 03, 2008 Andrew rated it liked it
Feeling withdrawal pains after the mid-season finale of the TV series, I decided to read this book. On the plus side, Tod Goldberg does a good job of capturing the voice of the show and its characters. On the other hand, by the time I got to the end, I wasn't quite sure how all the plot threads had come together to resolve all the problems. And while it was fun to read the first time, I don't want to reread it just to figure out how the story ended.
Sharkparty
If you don't like Burn Notice or lightweight fiction about covert ops people acting all slick, then steer clear.

This book is a good first step as a tie-in novel. The story is pretty close to some of the first and second season's type of action with a regular person who gets into amazing trouble and gets some Macgyver A-Team assistance. The lightweight humor and supposed spy-advice voiceovers are all there and the characterizations stick pretty well to the show.
Mana Konstanze
Aug 31, 2016 Mana Konstanze rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Burn Notice. People looking for a fun, easy afternoon read.
Recommended to Mana by: found at library.
Shelves: fiction
This book was fun. I picked it up and immediately could hear the voice of Michael Westen in the narration. I love the show Burn Notice, and the novel hit the mark. It was an easy, low-key plot that allowed for plenty of Westen's cool spy knowledge to seep through. Plus, in novel form, the reader gets a slightly deeper look inside Westen's head which is a really funny place to be. Of course, there was plenty of Fiona and Sam Axe, too.
Mark Baker
Mar 20, 2014 Mark Baker rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2008
This tie in to the TV series BURN NOTICE finds former spy Michael Weston trying to track down a husband who stole his wife's fortune while figuring out a way to keep a former Russian spy from killing him. The book captures the characters and tone of the show perfectly, but the plot was a bit weak.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Amanda
Apr 09, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it
I love the tv series Burn Notice, so I picked this book up from the library. The plot was pretty entertaining, with the usual elements. Michael Westen is called upon to save someone from a scam, and he gets closer to finding out who burned him and why. I didn't think that most of the profanity was necessary; the same was true with some of the sensual elements. Fiona was amazing, as usual. I would recommend this to fellow Burn Notice fans.
Marika
Apr 09, 2009 Marika rated it it was amazing
This book is taking a while. I guess I should have read the book first. The tv series is great.

Finished reading 4-8-2009. As in the television series, it ended with a bang. But I seemed to have had a struggle with getting it read. It was a good read. This was a backwards to me. Usually if you read a book first, then see the movie, you realize how great the book was compared to the movie. But this book was backward; I watched the show first then read the book. Book not as great.
Keith
Oct 07, 2008 Keith rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-thriller, 2008
I have never read a book derived from a TV series but one from my current "favorite of all time" was hard to resist. Goldberg does a very good job at portatrying characters we know from the screen, giving us their customary style of dialog, and then expanding on that to mention some details that are only hinted at in the series. The plot is well laid out and provides some suspense as the inimitable Michael Westen goes about his business.
Shelby | Double Up Books
Jun 05, 2009 Shelby | Double Up Books rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
If you like Burn Notice on USA Network, you'll really enjoy this book. It's told from Michael's perspective so you get a better sense of how he really thinks and what he thinks about things. The author, although not a Burn Notice writer, captures the characters and the show perfectly. The author did have Matt Nix's blessing for the book and I believe worked with him to make sure it was a seamless transition to print. The book is like reading a brand new episode... so much fun.
lililogitech
Jun 01, 2011 lililogitech rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Burn Notice
Since the Burn Notice is on break, I was having some withdrawal symptoms and so I decided to read Tod Goldberg`s The Fix. I was surprised in an positive way. I could vividly imagine the voices, expressions and scenes as though i was watching the show.
To all the fans of Burn Notice-read it and you won`t be sorry!

Jens
Aug 10, 2008 Jens rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Burn Notice: The Fix is an original novel based on the TV series. As such, it works (although you have to ignore a couple of continuity glitches). Goldberg gets the voice of Michael Westen, the main character, perfectly, the voices of the supporting cast are almost on. The story told in this novel would work very well as an episode of the TV show.
May 05, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
I have to say I'm glad I didn't buy it but I did enjoy it. I think it's just that I LOVE the characters (Michael, Fiona, and Sam) so much that I enjoyed "seeing" them as I read it.
The author seemed to get their characters which was nice. The negatives: poorly edited AND language that isn't used on TV (but probably in the real lives of these characters.....)
  • Mr. Monk and the Dirty Cop (Mr. Monk, #8)
  • A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Read (Psych, #1)
  • Sister Spy (Alias, #4)
  • Dark Side Of Midnight (Spy Girl, #1)
  • Alias: The Pursuit: A Michael Vaughn Novel (Prequel Series #5)
  • Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth (Indiana Jones: Prequels #11)
  • Alias:  Skin Deep (Prequel Series #11)
  • Holly and Homicide (A Domestic Bliss Mystery, #7)
  • Eureka: Substitution Method (Eureka, #1)
  • The Cutout
Tod Goldberg is the author of the novels Living Dead Girl, a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, Fake Liar Cheat & Burn Notice: The Fix, as well as the short story collection Simplify, winner of the Other Voices Short Story Collection Prize and a finalist for the SCBA Award in Fiction.
More about Tod Goldberg...

Burn Notice (5 books)
  • Burn Notice: The End Game (Burn Notice, #2)
  • Burn Notice: The Giveaway (Burn Notice, #3)
  • Burn Notice: The Reformed (Burn Notice, #4)
  • Burn Notice: The Bad Beat (Burn Notice, #5)