Start by marking “El capitán salió a comer y los marineros tomaron el barco” as Want to Read:
El capitán salió a comer y los marineros tomaron el barco

El capitán salió a comer y los marineros tomaron el barco

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,805 ratings  ·  122 reviews
A book length collaboration between two underground legends, Charles Bukowski and Robert Crumb. Bukowski's last journals candidly and humorously reveal the events in the writer's life as death draws inexorably nearer, thereby illuminating our own lives and natures, and to give new meaning to what was once only familiar. Crumb has illustrated the text with 12 full-page draw ...more
Published September 28th 2000 by Anagrama (first published 1998)

Be the first to ask a question about El capitán salió a comer y los marineros tomaron el barco

Charles Bukowski's The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over The Ship is a loose collection of journals from the author's last few years alive. He knows death is near and, in between computer repairs and trips to the racetrack, reflects on how to approach his day to day life knowing he won't be on the planet much longer. I started and finished this book on a Friday night and, although I've drifted from Bukowski's work in the last couple decades, I'm glad I read this one.

Il diario che Bukowski ha scritto alla soglia della fine della sua vita è un libro che, per i suoi fan, è del tutto trascurabile. Potrebbe rendere felici i creatori di pagine facebook in suo onore; potrebbe essere d’aiuto nel riempire la smemoranda di qualche adolescente in subbuglio, però, purtroppo, non emoziona il vero appassionato di questo scrittore.
Sostanzialmente si tratta di un riassuntino della sua filosofia di vita arricchito da qualche riflessione sulla morte che continua ad avvicina
Lilith Headey
Nada oye,pasan los años y Bukowski sigue dejándome igual que el primer día.Sabéis a que me refiero ¿no?Si hombre,se que lo sabéis,a todos nos pasa lo mismo.
Charles Bukowski te descubre el mundo en cada página que lees.Parece que cada palabra te revela una verdad que te tenían oculta y cada frase es ley.Un tío que habla de tal forma solo puede ser un genio(o un borracho,aunque ese es otro tema)Pero cuando te paras a pensarlo detenidamente,te das cuenta de que no has entendido una mierda y de que
I read this book many years ago, thinking it was a book of Bukowski's poetry when I plucked it from the library shelf. It is actually passages from Bukowski's diary written in the last days of his life.

I actually liked Bukowski more after reading these pages. He seemed to have mellowed with age, to have turned into a not so bad old guy.
Diego Munoz
Bukowski's diary kept in his early 70's.

A little repetitive at times, as his days consisted of going to the races, pondering the human species, writing, fearing that he could no longer write, and loosing touch with modern society.

Perhaps my favorite quote came in the final chapter:

"Why are there so few interesting people? Out of the millions, why aren't there a few? Must we continue to live with this drab and ponderous species? Seems their only act is violence. They are good at that. They truly
Charles Bukowski The Captain Is out to lunch and the Sailors Have taken over
the Ship
With illustrations by Robert Crumb.

Well a cool title and a cool book of Charles
Bukowski's journals in the last couple of years
of his life, with great pictures by Robert crumb.
this was written at the same time as he was
writing Pulp.
It is great to read Charley coming to terms with
the computer age in his 70's and his frustration
when it crashes and he loses a load of work. As
well as plenty of time killed at
Why is it that I have let more than fifteen years pass since reading my last Bukowski? I had always liked him. When he died in San Pedro in 1994, only a year after the last diary entry in The Captain Is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship, I was surprised to see how busy he had been in his later years. Then, just a few months ago, I heard there was an exhibit of his papers at the Huntington Library in San Marino. I went on the last day and received the surprise of my life: The ...more
"A writer owes nothing except to his writing. He owes nothing to the reader except the availability of the printed page...The best reader and the best human is the one who rewards me with his or her absence."

"Writing is when I take death out of my left pocket, throw him against the wall and catch him as he bounces back."

One of Bukowski's last novels. This one, written in journal form, leads us through a year or so of his later life... a 70 something old man, married and still writing, possibly w
Lukáš Palán
Bukáč si to u mě dost solidně našlápl Škvárem a pak pekařským románem plným buchtiček s archaickým názvem Ženský, ale po Ejakulaci etc, mi i Kapitán připadá jako šlichta na jedno brďo. Ono je sice fajn číst pořád dokola o tom, jak se prcá, chlastá, sází a jací jsou básníci pičusové, ale ani já to nevydřžím číst nonstop. Díky bohu aspoň za to, že tam sem tam šlehne nějakou dobrou sobotní lajnu.
Josef Horký
Poslední Bukowského deníkové texty jsou v podstatě přesně takové, jaké člověk čeká: plné vzpomínání, sázek na koně, alkoholu, nadávání na všechno a všechny kolem (kromě počítačů!) a úvah o životě, umírání a nesmrtelnosti.
Což je zprvu zábavné, občas milé a po několika desítkách stránek, na nichž se moudra starého muže opakují a opakují a opakují, poněkud zbytečné.
Jsem však rád, že jsem díky těmto textům mohl vidět posun, jaký kapitán Bukowski za ty roky svého plodného života ušel.
This was one of the first posthumously published Bukowski books, illustrated by cartoonist R. Crumb, a selection of his journals just before he died. I've seen some of this writing in "Hollywood" and I'm pretty sure some of it rendered as poetry elsewhere too, but these are the original journal entries and have a good, sharp feel. I bought a copy of this book years ago before I was really sold on Bukowski and ended up selling it off. Got this used the other day and I have a feeling it's the same ...more
I have just been entering writers with the letter B into my Goodreads list and encountered this among my poets. I realised that I had omitted to read the book before today so I sat down and read it through in a few quiet hours. Apparently these journal entries are not classified as poetry but the book sits with my poetry and I am not moving it until I find a good reason why not. Maybe a writer later in the alphabet will sort this out for me.

Robert Crumb's illustrations are exactly the correct a
Juho Pitkänen
Bukowski diary from 1991 to 1993. Written in his later years, when he was settled down in a big house with a Jacuzzi and a wife and nine cats. He doesn't seem to be living all that exciting life anymore. Most of it is about how he visits the racetrack even though he kind of hates it there (but it's the only place where he can think of going), about how he's going to die soon and about how hates everybody and everything, except writing with his new computer and listening to classical music (usual ...more
دوس داشتم این کتاب رو. ممنونم از سوداروی عزیز که این کتاب رو به فارسی ترجمه کرد. وبلاگ سودارو لینک پایینی هست که میتونید کتاب رو دانلود کنید:
Aleksandra Rafailović
You, man, were a genius! Therefore, I'll drink a beer tonight. Or two. And will stare at my sleeping guinea pigs, considering I have no cats.
Sara Comuzzo
è sempre lui, il caro vecchio Bukowski.
Bukowski scazzato, ubriaco, con il vizio delle corse, il vizio delle donne, il vizio del meno faccio e meglio sto.
questo libro appare come una sorta di diario e ad essere sinceri, Bukowski è persino meno irriverente e sboccato del solito. ho apprezzato lo stile, la limpidezza, la brutalità.
racconta delle sue corse ai cavalli, delle sue scommesse, della giornata tipo mentre và all'ippodromo, una sorta di confessione autocosciente.
a chi ama il genere, è uno d
"The Captain Is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken over the Ship" beams light and exuberant exploration of life through language. I've heard from others that Hank's later works lack his earlier vitality. Although this is only the second "late period" work I've read, I see no indication that his writing lacks anything. Go Hank! The artwork by R. Crumb is quite fun, although I do wish there had been more.

"My contest is only with myself: to do it right, with power and force and gamble. Otherwi
Farhan Khalid
A writer owes nothing except to his writing

He owes nothing to the reader except the availability of the printed pages

I don't care if I win or lose, I just want to gamble

There are only two things wrong with money: too much or too little

Immortality is the stupid invention of the living

Lightning and luck

I gamble when I write

We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus!

We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities

We are eaten up by nothing

I am always fighting for the minute

I have time for noth
It had been a long time since i read Charles Bukowski and was a bit unsure about this book - being a diary he kept from 1991 - 1993 in LA before his death in 1994. I used to read a lot of Bukowski in high school, who i blame for my negative relationship with men and sexuality. But what is cool is how much writing he continued to do right before he died - and maintained the same cynical and absurd behaviours that he even hated in himself. He wasn't getting into fist fights and drinking to oblivio ...more
I had zero intention of purchasing this book but came upon it while in the essays/anthology section of b&n looking for something else. I picked it up because I saw Robert Crumb had illustrated it and immediately became intrigued. This was the first Bukowksi book I've read and interestingly, I'm not sure I would have developed such an affection for him had I started with his earlier stuff. The book is a collection of unpublished journal entries Bukowski wrote between 1991-1993 containing dail ...more
No hay que lamentarse por la muerte, como no hay que lamentarse por una flor que crece. Lo terrible no es la muerte, sino las vidas que la gente vive o no vive hasta su muerte.

Cuando escribo vuelo, enciendo fuegos. Cuando escribo saco a la muerte de mi bolsillo izquierdo, la lanzo contra la pared y la agarro cuando rebota.

Yo también estoy enfermo, de alguna manera. No me enfrento a al realidad. Pero ¿quién demonios quiere hacerlo?

Tonterías sin duda, pero me gustan mis tonterías. Incluso veo a Do
Il solito Bukowski misantropo. Il solito Bukowski frequentatore di ippodromi. Il solito Bukowski… Ma è davvero il solito Bukowski? «Per essere uno scrittore istintivamente fai ciò che nutre te e le parole, che ti protegge contro la morte in vita. Per ognuno è una cosa diversa. E per ognuno è una cosa che cambia. Per me una volta significava bere tantissimo, bere fino a uscire pazzo. Mi affilava le parole, le portava fuori. […] Ora è cambiato. Ora ho bisogno di qualcosa di più sottile, di più inv ...more
by Ax
Vecchio menefreghista

Qui non ho ritrovato il solito autore che mi ha fatto divertire altrove, con il cinico distacco che me lo ha reso simpatico. A questo punto della sua vita, oramai settantenne, Bukowski lascia andare i pensieri in maniera malinconica, quasi dispiaciuto per qualcosa che se ne sta andando, che lo rende tristemente consapevole di avere vissuto la sua vita. Non si lascia abbattere, la testa la tiene ancora alta, ma lo preferisco menefreghista.
I am a completely biased Bukowski fan. That being said this isn't my favorite of his.

"The Captain is Out to Lunch and the Sailors Have Taken Over the Ship" is Bukowski's illustrated journal from 1991-1993. It's a fun light read from a writer who struggled and some how made it.

Bukowski is surprised and confused by his comfortable and successful life. Yet outside of the in ground pool he's still the same guy who hates everything. The same Bukowski I know and love.
Questo diario di Charles Bukowski raccoglie i suoi scritti negli ultimi 3 anni della sua vita prima che una leucemia fulminante lo stronchi a San Pedro.
Pubblicato postumo nel 1998, ha una narrazione ripetitiva e noiosa: Bukowski si sveglia, va alle corse dei cavalli; ci sta tutto il giorno; torna a casa, qualche volta sta con sua moglie Linda o guarda i suoi gatti; altrimenti va al suo word processor e scrive fino a tarda sera.
Qualche volta qualcuno va a trovarlo, ma accade di rado.
Ma la trama n
Bu kitap oldukça farklıydı benim için, diğer Bukowski kitaplarına nazaran. Çünkü bunda içtim, kustum, işten atıldım, dövüştüm ve seviştim muhabbeti yoktu. Derli toplu, günlük tarzında yazmış Bukowski paşa.

Okuduklarımdan en çok Ekmek Arası'nı seviyorum ardından da bu kitap geliyor artık.
Yazarın yaşlanmış olması, ölümüne yaklaştıgının farkında olması yazdıklarını etkilemiş mi? Kesinlikle. Ama o zaten hep kendi tarzında bir adam, kimseden etkilenmez ve insanları sevmez. Bu kitapta da şöyle bir şey
This book are diary entries Bukowski made between the ages of 71 and 72 still wrote better and with more fire and youth inside him, than most other authors. Also, one of my favorite Quotes by Buk already greeted me in the second chapter:

“We’re all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn’t. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.”
I can't believe I didn't tackle this one sooner. The very old Bukowski making implied comparisons (if you have read the earlier stuff) to his earlier life. A man, now a successful author with money, a wife, house, car, looking to find something - maybe - in the track that used to be his "day job." At least that's my interpretation. Loved this one, couldn't put it down, read in a day. Very close to a 5-star rating.
Great title, but I'm only giving it three stars because it's not really his work, but his posthumously published journal entries. They are fun to read and give insight into Bukowski's thoughts shortly before his death, but they're probably more for the hardcore Bukowski fan than the casual reader. Nevertheless, I did enjoy them and I read most of the book in one evening. If you enjoy Bukowski, chances are you'll really enjoy this book, but if you've never read him and are looking for somewhere t ...more
M.F. Sullivan
My only regret is that I have but five stars to give. This is a book about growing old as a writer, and it may not appeal to everyone--more than that, this is a book about growing old as Bukowski, and we all know he's not for everyone, either. But it is an intensely moving book; it changed me inside to read it, and made me that much more dedicated to my work.
  • 1933 Was a Bad Year
  • Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life
  • Hank: The Life of Charles Bukowski
  • Charles Bukowski
  • Dům o tisíci patrech
  • Short Dog: Cab Driver Stories from the L.A. Streets
  • Book of Sketches
  • The Pit and the Pendulum and Other Stories
  • Nine Fairy Tales and One More Thrown in for Good Measure (European Classics)
  • Pussikaljaromaani
  • Chivalry
  • Mama, I Love You
Henry Charles Bukowski (born as Heinrich Karl Bukowski) was a German-born American poet, novelist and short story writer. His writing was influenced by the social, cultural and economic ambience of his home city of Los Angeles.It is marked by an emphasis on the ordinary lives of poor Americans, the act of writing, alcohol, relationships with women and the drudgery of work. Bukowski wrote thousands ...more
More about Charles Bukowski...

“I stopped looking for a Dream Girl, I just wanted one that wasn't a nightmare.” 1323 likes
“The fuckers. There, I feel better. God-damned human race. There, I feel better.” 461 likes