3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  26 reviews
This book explores Washington s role as a general, his part in the writing of the Constitution, and his years as president. It also details his private life, his character, his strong sense of duty, and his constant struggle to hold his temper in check so he could be an effective leader. Finally, the author describes Washington s role as the father of his country. Recommen...more
Published February 22nd 1997 by Free Press (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Founding Father, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Founding Father

Dale
An interesting biography, a valuable perspective

Founding Father
is not a long biography (199 pages), but it is an interesting piece of writing. It is split into 3 areas - about one-half of the book is straight biography, about one-third is an analysis of the character of our first president and the balance is an analysis of what it means to be a founding father, how Washington measures up to that ideal and what kind of "father" he was.

The biography section is great - straightforward and written...more
Mike Prochot
As more information about George Washington is coming to light as a result of the internet, through cross referencing of published, not published and out of print works, journals and letters, we are getting a fuller picture of the man and I think it is high time we look at him again and get to know him. The fact is, the more we get to know him, the more there is to appreciate.

Richard Brookhiser does a great job of adding human features and foibles to those marble statues and currency images of...more
Marley
I visited Mount Vernon several lyears ago . Like most, I suppose I saw it as a Sunday outing. I was therefore surprised when I felt emotionally overcome by the place. Standing in Wshington's bedroom I wanted to cry when I saw the bed he died in. (As a sidenote, I was surpirsed at how small it was inside compared to how it looks o the outside. Washington was plagued with visitors who would come to stay for weeks at a time, and I can't imagine where they ut them all).

Like other reviewers here , I...more
Jake W.
Jake Wayda
B-5 English

My book is called "Rediscovering George Washington Founding Father". It obviously is about George Washington. The main reason why I chose this book is because I went back to Washington D.C. this summer and i also went to Mount Vernon. Mount Vernon is where George Washington lived and died. The house itself was very cool and so was the rest of the estate, i saw the room in which Washington died. I saw where his first tomb, they moved him in 1831 to his current location on...more
selena
I took a citizenship test not too long ago and had to memorize silly facts about the United States of America. One of the questions was about who the first president of the United States was. It was hard to miss this one. I live in Washington, afterall. And aside from knowing his name, that he fought in the war and had wooden teeth, I realized I didn’t know much about the man. Or any of our presidents for that matter. So I decided to do something about it. (That is where the challenge comes in -...more
Jim
This isn't so much a straight biography as a series of extended essays on the character and importance of George Washington. (It also stands as a short biographical sketch of his life.)

Brookhiser leaves us in no doubt as to Washington's status as the indispensible man, without whom American independence, the Constitution, or the secure establishment of the Republic may well have not occurred. The author also goes to great lengths to rescue Washington, the man, from our conception of Washington-a...more
Larry Hostetler
I have read biographies about George Washington.

This is biographical, but it is much more than a biography. It examines the character traits and other aspects (religion, politics, "father of the country", etc.) of Washington's life in detail, and gives much more a feel of the man than biographies sometimes can.

I found it educational, enlightening, and now I have a "feel" for the man that I never had. It is interesting and learned, fairly short (200 pages before notes and index) but packed with...more
Levi
I was assigned this book for a US History class. It was interesting to learn about George Washington's life in more detail than just his major political accomplishments. Though he never wrote much about himself and therefore we can't know much about his personal thoughts, the accounts of his life as related by other founding fathers reveals the full extent of his leadership. Some people say the only reason Washington is remembered is because he came first. What I learned from this book makes me...more
Ryan
This was a short, but interesting, read about the character of our nation’s Founding Father. The book emphasizes the monumental character that is George Washington, and which undoubtedly enabled him to take the lead in the birth of the United States. I like that it also showed some of his flaws, and was not a complete hagiography. The point is that G.W. overcame these flaws to be the man he was for the generations that he led, and the generations that he continues to inspire. While we may not em...more
Kurtbg
This is a quick read which tries to break through the myth of who George Washington was to gain a better understanding of how he conducted himself - and why. RB, author, breaks down the book into sections of career, character, and role as a founding father. Each section provides a brief history, and analysis, supported by evidence, on how the brain in the first president came to work, and did work.

He seemed to be very in touch with the gravity of being the first president of a new and democrati...more
Ryan
This is a short, concise revisiting of our first president (under 200 pages). The story of Washington proves fascinating with a fresh retelling of most of his life (especially remarkable is the career section) but, at times, Mr. Brookhiser's writing style can get bogged down by being a bit dry and too academic. While a decent read and I'm happy to own it, I'd recommend this book to other readers only as a supplement to many other outstanding books written about Washington.
Leif Erik
One day not that long ago I realized that I knew next to nothing about the life of George Washington. As I am a fairly well educated history major I was kind of appalled. So I picked up this little tomb to bring myself up to speed. He does love his subject quite a bit and the book is full of stories of Washington's daring and fortitude in the face of adversity. But I never got a sense of why the Revolutionary Generation gravitated to him.
Sally
This is a biography of George Washington written along the lines of Plutarch's Lives. Topics covered include his career, his character, and his role as our Founding Father. Brookhiser brings together various sources to give a picture of Washington the man and the legend. In an era when patriotism and pride in our country seems frowned upon, this was an inspiring read.
Marilyn
I have decided to read biographies of all the presidents in chronological order. This book was a bit scholarly and not much on personal details of George's life. However, I don't know if there are any books about his daily life--this author made it sound like there is not much written about the private man. It was a good place to start.
The F7 Pawn
Great read. Brookhiser convincingly shows that without Washington the Republic might have died in its cradle. Recommended.
Glenn Robinson
Good bio that lives up to the title-"re-discover." a quick rehash of much of what we know with an added flair of George Washington love of the theatre. A quick read with not a great deal of new facts, just new ways of viewing whether he was actually a great leader or not.
Scott Montgomery
One of the better biographies of Geo. Washington and focuses stories and essays not readily available in most main stream histories. An informative, short, and inspiring read.
Kirk Bower
Quick Read. I'm a Brookhiser fan - but I believe this is the best biography on Washington I have read!
Angelyn
Brookhiser is a little scholarly and hard to read, but I enjoyed it never-the-less.
Curtiss
A short, easy to read, but insightful none the less, biography the Father of our country.
Wisteria Leigh
American history,presidents,biographical non-fiction,George Washington,
Jason Roland
George Washington and, to a lesser extent, Richard Brookhiser are awesome.
Mae
Insightful look into the brain of the good George Washington.
Chris
A simple but helpful biography of George Washington. Enjoyable read.
Eric Smith
A light and uninteresting biography of Washington.
Daniel2
My only complaint was that it was too short.
Lili
Lili added it
Sep 10, 2014
  • George Washington
  • James Monroe: The Quest for National Identity
  • Passionate Sage: The Character and Legacy of John Adams
  • George Washington's Rules of Civility & Decent Behavior in Company and Conversation (Little Books of Wisdom)
  • Martha Washington: An American Life
  • Liberty's Daughters: The Revolutionary Experience of American Women, 1750 1800
  • John Tyler: The Accidental President
  • Signing Their Rights Away
  • First in His Class: A Biography of Bill Clinton
  • A Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Some Adventures, Dangers, and Sufferings of Joseph Plumb Martin
  • Martin Van Buren (American Presidents, #8)
  • T.R.: The Last Romantic
  • The Ascent of George Washington: The Hidden Political Genius of an American Icon
  • Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766
  • Washington: The Indispensable Man
  • James Madison
  • President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime
  • Blood of Tyrants: George Washington & the Forging of the Presidency
James Madison Alexander Hamilton, American The Rules of Civility George Washington on Leadership What Would the Founders Do?: Our Questions, Their Answers